The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

Does anyone really think they won't be together? eventually

I actually don't doubt they will be together in the end, but this isn't the question that most interests me. I want to know if they will be together in an awesome relationship, or if they will be together in a dysfunctional way--with Amy a shell of the strong, outspoken woman she once was, and Sheldon needing to be dragged and manipulated every step of the way? Such an endgame Shamy would be a Pyrrhic victory, IMO.

• Like 6

Look we all know deep down that Shamy is end game. I think what we're all really upset about is that finally after having the patience of saints, we were finally seeing them getting somewhere and now it all seems to have come to a screeching halt again. Thats the source of the frustration. Its the damned waiting, FOR YEARS NOW, on something we all know will happen. Deep down we just want our couple of weirdos happy together, cause damn it, they deserve to be happy with each other.

I still say, Season 8 will top season 7. I'd place a bet on it now if I could.

That coupled with the fact Sheldon has treated Amy like sh*t the last few episodes, including the ones that haven't been shown yet.  And instead of standing up to him like she did in The Vacation Solution she's falling all over herself to keep him happy.

• Like 4

Everyone has made such great points, and I know this has been said already, so I'm sorry for being redundant!

I feel like a lot of this comes down to Sheldon's need for control and order. Change does not so much bother him if he is the one to initiate it, as in adding kissing to the RA and even things completely unrelated to Amy (where to eat, etc.).

He seems to always be in the driver seat, so to speak, when things advance with Amy, and she just has to roll with the punches. With D&D, SIK 1.0, and other things of that nature, Sheldon is much more composed than Amy.

Now, all of a sudden, he has all of these changes thrust upon him, and he hates that he can't stop it...

I think that Sheldon's hiatus will teach him that he can't control all aspects of life, as he will be out in the unsheltered real world where people won't cater to his every last need and desire.

It kind of goes along with his "failed" string theory. He now knows that he will never be able to explain all of existence, multi-universes included. That's huge to him, because his whole life has been dedicated to knowing all and dictating how his life plays out.

If the writers use this plot as a way to reverse the roles of Sheldon and Amy, then kudos to them. I just fear that, like they always say...there's no longterm plan. Here's to staying cautiously optimistic!

• Like 5

You guys.....so many different, yet similar ideas and feelings flying around in here. I ran out of likes! I think I'm about as schizoid in the past several days as Sheldon has been written this season. Today is one of those days I want to go and high-five TPTB with a chair in the face. Tomorrow I'll probably hang out in the positivity thread. Please let there be some descent interview spoilers this summer or something positive that comes out of Comic Con questions. I don't need to go through the summer having my friends and relatives think I'm bi-polar.

tumblr_m4h3okK75r1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

I am SO right there with you!  I was kind of on this really positive high for a few days, and this afternoon I just crashed.  WTH is wrong with me when a sitcom I adore makes me CRY?  And I haven't even see the episode yet!  Ugh...I think I really DO need to be locked up in a padded room.  I can't even find motivation to write fanfiction right now.  Quick, someone throw me some encouragement!

Look we all know deep down that Shamy is end game. I think what we're all really upset about is that finally after having the patience of saints, we were finally seeing them getting somewhere and now it all seems to have come to a screeching halt again. Thats the source of the frustration. Its the damned waiting, FOR YEARS NOW, on something we all know will happen. Deep down we just want our couple of weirdos happy together, cause damn it, they deserve to be happy with each other.

I still say, Season 8 will top season 7. I'd place a bet on it now if I could.

That helps a ton right now when I'm feeling down about all of this!  Thank you!  That and re-watching the psychic scene.  ;)

You hit it right on the nose. Seriously, this is a perfect explanation

One of the things that I'd like to point out is that Amy went to go look for him. So, she obviously knew that suggesting new living arrangements was pushing it (Considering everything that was already going on). I also think giving time for Sheldon to develop is a great idea. It'll be worth it in the end guys, I can feel it. Season 7 was just the catalyst for change, next season is going to be a huge transitional period for Sheldon AND Amy. Just you wait, season 8 is going to be a big one :)

This helps a ton too!  Thank you all for helping me become positive again.  :D

Yeah but I have a hard time believing that this whole freakout thing isn't just the writers finally realising they've written themselves into a corner by taking too long with the Sheldon resists change storyline. I want to believe that they knew they needed to finally change Sheldon's attitude and since they've taken too long to implement small changes along the way, they needed a convenient out that would both give them high ratings and allow them to "reset" the Sheldon character in a believable way. So you take everything away from him, and leave him with nothing....except his girlfriend (who will be pissed, but loves him despite it all and she'll help him put himself back together). I'm convinced thats what happened and thats how it will play out next season.

LOVE it!  And maybe his harsh words to her in the finale were his swan song for all the resistance and denial he's been immersing himself in before he decides to embrace it.

• Like 2

Guys, do you really think Lorre, Prady, Molaro CBS and WB are putting Amy off!!??!!! Unless Mayim leaves the show, SHAMY is gold for them.( It´s pretty sure Mayim Bialik and Jim Parsons will get EMMY nominations again.) This 7 season finale is part of the wonderful, funny, naiive and whimsical SHAMY love story! We´ll have three more seasons of SHAMY quirk LOVE! Let´s enjoy them! and remember, SHAMY is UNIQUE!!(think, if now we have more than 3.500.000 viewers of the SIK in less than three months, can you imagine when SHAMY REALLY makes out?) BE HAPPY AND ENJOY THE NEXT THREE SEASONS, DEAR SHAMY FANS!!!!

• Like 8

Guys, do you really think Lorre, Prady, Molaro CBS and WB are putting Amy off!!??!!! Unless Mayim leaves the show, SHAMY is gold for them.( It´s pretty sure Mayim Bialik and Jim Parsons will get EMMY nominations again.) This 7 season finale is part of the wonderful, funny, naiive and whimsical SHAMY love story! We´ll have three more seasons of SHAMY quirk LOVE! Let´s enjoy them! and remember, SHAMY is UNIQUE!!(think, if now we have more than 3.500.000 viewers of the SIK in less than three months, can you imagine when SHAMY REALLY makes out?) BE HAPPY AND ENJOY THE NEXT THREE SEASONS, DEAR SHAMY FANS!!!!

Thank you, Susana!  That's very true.  I do think that they realize Shamy is a huge draw for a lot of viewers, and I will forever believe that all these things going on this season are hinting at great things to come in season 8.  That is, until they prove me wrong. 

I'm so glad I found this board.  You are all awesome, and it's so nice to be able to get and receive encouragement for our OTP!  :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 2

Maybe this is a little too deep, but when something combusts, like Sheldon's life, it burns down to ashes. And what arises from ashes, the Phoenix. It's been said over and over that Sheldon has to crash and burn in order to realize his priorities and go win back Amy before his career can get back on track. So maybe the writers are using a bit of mythological allegory to tell us that a new Sheldon is going to emerge from this combustion and that Shamy is endgame over the next 3 seasons. Probably giving the writers too much credit here, but it does work.

I am crossing my fingers SO hard on this!  Love the phoenix analogy!

• Like 1

I remember Who's the Boss and yes, it took them years, BUT there was never any doubt that they wanted to be with each other, unlike Sheldon with Amy.

I don't think there's any doubt that Sheldon and Amy want to be together. It's just that they have different issues to overcome than other couples. I think that Sheldon has trouble imagining anything beyond the present that he enjoys. It's like he gets to a comfortable plateau and doesn't want to take the next step as long as he's comfortable, which is not that uncommon for many people.

How and why and to what degree Amy is going to make him take that next step, or how he is going to come to his own desire to take the next step is part of what their journey is about.

But I don't think the writers intend for them to not be together, or to imply that Sheldon doesn't want to be with Amy, or to make her miserable in their relationship.

Maybe the writers' sense of humor, or how to make humor out of the nature of the Shamy relationship, is going to strike some people wrong, but I don't think their intention is to make this into a sad or cynical or unhappy relationship.

I was thinking more about Sheldon and his resistance to change, and maybe why I feel like I understand him. When I was in elementary school and started playing clarinet, I was playing first chair 3rd clarinet in the band. I guess it was the next year, when we got a new band director, he wanted me to move up to play in the 1st clarinet section, which most people would have been really happy about, but I was so upset--about changing the part I was playing--that I actually cried about it. I did eventually move up, but not without a lot of fussing over it. I remember that I liked playing 3rd and felt confident there. I was, as I remember, upset that I might not be able to play the 1st part and wouldn't be as good at it, and therefore not as good as I had been at 3rd.

Of course, I was able to play it and I was good at it, but the idea of leaving my comfortable spot was just too upsetting at the moment that my band director suggested it. I think it took me at least a week and my parents talking to me for me to get past it.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that I don't think it's about Sheldon not wanting Amy, or not wanting a future with her, but that the steps to getting there, or imagining himself at any of those new stages is always going to be difficult for him. And I think that having him suddenly be ready to jump up those steps to get to the end goal would be false.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 8

Hello to all the new people!! It's great were becoming more and may I add the new people contribute with greay insights!!

I guess you won't remember but I have this friend who is a Sheldon purist and we saw each other yesterday after several days and the first thing she told me was "I will tell you that now before I forget.They so try to have Sheldon and Amy have sex. They will have sex by the end of the season and I'll vomit". I didn't spoil her I just said "They will have sex just not this season.you're safe for now" :p But I literally didn't know whether I should laugh or cry. I laughed. :p

I couldn't read your posts yesterday guys but you all raise great points. I just wanted to say something about the interesting question phanta asked. If Sheldon wanted sex and Amy didn't would anyone say she should "step up her game" and prove herself??Or would we he annoyed cause she is not giving him what he needs?? The thing is that whether we talk about sex or getting married or whatever two people in a relationship should want kind of the same things. It happens for people to love each other like hell and be together but finally realize that they want different things. It's really difficult to remain in the relationship after that. So if Sheldon wanted a sexual relationship and Amy was clear that she never would have sex him then Sheldon should think really hard.Would he be willing to let his desire for Amy??Good for him. If not that's fine too. It's the same thing now in the reverse situation. Currently, what we know is that Sheldon and Amy want different things. If Sheldon was absolutely clear that sex isn't gonna happen at one point Amy would have given up on the idea of sex or on the relationship with Sheldon. But he didn't say that he said it is a possibility so he gave her hope that her needs will be met in this relationship. So she stays waiting for Sheldon to work on it and see if he can overcome his issues or not. That's why I dislike the "slick,huh" line so much. Cause a Sheldon who struggles with his issues and tries to approach her and fails is sweet and deserves her patience but one who knows very well how to avoid meeting her needs while he holds her close and probably not letting her actually find what she wants is downright mean. I am not saying Amy would run off and find someone else if she could(which she can she just chooses to stay) but it feels like Sheldon knows that Amy does not get the things she want from the relationship (and of course I am not talking just about sex) and that she has got to a point where she needs to push and manipulate to even keep the relationship in a completelt insecure state and he just keeps this way to buy time. Maybe to become the man she wants. But even if it is like that it is just cruel to let someone live in uncertainty and insecurity and expect them to never complain cause it feels too pushy. Sorry, but Amy has feelings too. So I wonder what would we say if Sheldon was in a relationship with a girl with more issues than his?? Would we say that he is insensitive and pushes too hard?? That he should just be understanding and put up with everything cause his girl as Leonard said about Sheldon "is broken"? Of course not cause Sheldon does have a weird personality so he should be taken into account even if Amy was even weirder and had more issues. That's why I think it's vital for Amy to think about herself cause sadly it seems like Sheldon is too self absorbed to consider her feelings. Je is buying time cause he needs it without even thinking about Amy's feelings. Or at least that's what we are shown.

Having said that I should add that I am more than sure that Shamy is endgame but I would love it if the three remaining years were fun to watch and not a constant rollercoaster. As koops said Sheldon has it in him to act mature when the need calls it and I believe the trip could be pretty helpful for him to understand that he is not the center of the universe. That's why I don't want him to visit his grandmother cause he still will act like a child. He needs to come back and realize that people moved on with their lives even if he wasn't there, even Amy did. That's my one and real concern.What will happen with that fantastic character that AFF is. I want to see the whole range of her feelings. She is hurt and upset and in love and scared. Sheldon is too but we had enough of his POV. It's Amy's turn. So, I will be positive that the writers will work on that cause I just don't want to think otherwise it makes me worried. And we should probably open an "Amy Shippers" thread :p

• Like 6

I'm looking forward to how everyone here reacts once they actually watch the next three episodes ( and for those who are saying they don't want to, I hope you reconsider ) just to see if there is a repositioning of opinion based on real events rather than interpretation of reports. I've sensed a softening on the last episodes moments ( the gulp, Sheldon's facial reaction to the psychic, the different portrayal of the Leonard/Amy scene compared to the report ) from some here compared of the anger and frustration in response to the taping reports.

Maybe when we SEE his interactions with Proton and Leonard in the next episode, SEE how his conversation pans out with Raj in full context rather than just focus on those two understandably upsetting words "slick heh", SEE how the final scenes with Amy plays out in the finale, we might not feel so depressed and anxious and interpret Sheldon's reactions more positively.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with many here about the roller coaster inconsistent writing of the relationship. I too feel that Amy is not getting enough hope for more from Sheldon nor do I like how her character has become too emotional and submissive compared to the equal of Sheldon Amy we grew to love. And certainly I don't want it reverting to normal transmission in episode 1 season 8

But I do think a lot of the angst here is generated by interpretation ( some of it justifiably based on writer past behaviour I'll grant you) of spoilers and we should at least wait until we watch the actual episodes with all the acting nuances Jim, Mayim and the others bring to the words on paper before we get so dejected about what is coming up in the last 3 episodes and Season 8.

Just my 2 cents worth. I love Shamy too but not quite a attached as everyone else here. Here's hoping for a great outcome for these two great characters and we can enjoy Season 8 and beyond.

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 3

I disagree with that though. I don't think the amount of head-butting has changed since they met at all, it's just that it has turned into a different form of head-butting. The admiration was there from day one. They both thought the other was the most brilliant creature on the planet. The problem is that while that has remained true for Amy, it hasn't for Sheldon. And they're still head-butting, but while in the past the writers made Sheldon react to her head-butting as being taken aback and intrigued by her words, they now have him react by dismissing her altogether the way he used to do with Penny. That's the big change for me. The fact that Sheldon's reactions to Amy, and viceversa, have been changed to fit the template of the standard Sheldon-other interactions.

Absolutely agree with this Koops. Their relationship shouldn't be the same as his relationships with everyone else's. That is the change in the writing I don't like either. But I do see his interactions maturing with the others - especially with Howard and Penny ( he's still a [email protected]#*% with them sometimes but that's just the obligatory punch line the writers still require ) so maybe Season 8 will be the maturing of the Shamy relationship. Of course you would possibly argue it didn't need to be degraded in order to be matured again - and I probably agree. 

wowbagger and koops you guys raise very good points. tbh personally all I care is for Amy to become more self confident and dynamic. If they have to break them up for that to happen so be it. If Sheldon comes back to a successful Amy with no time for him that's fine too. There are several great ways to achieve that and with good thinking they could work perfectly. Even if it is Amy breaking up with him.

If I could write a fanfic (which I can't and I won't ) I would probably have Amy remain in the relationship but put a little distance between them. Let them still be boyfriend and girlfriend but freeze date nights and kissing and other aspects of the RA. I imagine her going over for pizza night or something and sitting on Penny's chair and Sheldon going like "but this is your spot" pointing at the seat next to him. One of my all time desires is for Sheldon to call the spot next to him as "Amy's spot". One more think I would like to know is why Amy is so stiff when they kiss and if it has to do with the story. Maybe if Sheldon noticed and wondered why. I imagine him trying to kiss her and her not responding and leaving him wonder why isn't she happy as hell pf his return. :p

• Like 6

Yeah, I agree that Sheldon's reaction has changed to become less respectful, but I do also think that Amy is less confident about pushing back than she used to be back in the day. You know, like the argument on the merits of neurobiology and physics that led to the first 'break-up'. And yes, Amy is generally less abrasive as a person now, but I do also think that she is more nervous and fearful in her relationship with Sheldon than she used to be. And that? That is the major thing that makes me scream 'Get out! Get out, Amy!'

Heh, I do like the idea of Sheldon returning to an Amy who is so happy and fulfilled by her life that she's all 'oh, yeah. Relationship Agreement. Well, sure, I guess. Can't this Thursday, though, off to a symposium. Let yourself out, will you?'

Fundamentally, I adore Parsons and Bialik together. I enjoy the idea of Sheldon and Amy finally getting it on and applying their awesome intellects and boundless curiosities to the mysteries of love and sex. You just know that the writers are holding a wealth of sweet, quirky, raunchy material locked and loaded for when those two finally get it on (and if they're not, they should be).

However, I am not here to watch a smart woman being broken down and hollowed out because she doesn't think she has any options. I am not here to watch a happily asexual man torment himself and the woman who loves him because he doesn't think he can keep her any other way than by promising intimacy. Or at least, I am not here to watch it on this show. You want to write this dynamic, writers? Hire these two actors and take yourselves off to HBO, or the Cherry Lane Theatre, or whatever.

Amen, my friend! I do think they're going to dangerous territories for a sitcom. I always said that I could not see this go in the direction of Sheldon never discovering he does like intimacy with Amy after all (and wants it), mostly because it's too heavy a topic for a sitcom to handle. Especially a sitcom like this who gives so little space to honest-to-god sentimental moments to make up for the rough times. It would be poignant and interesting on a drama, but not on this show. I especially don't see the point in going there given that they were given the chance to write a perfectly happy, odd, asexual relationship between them (which I would have been totally fine with), and instead changed the music and changed Amy on purpose. They shouldn't have changed things up if they are not prepared to see it through. And, I still do think they're not going there. Sheldon *does* like kissing her, it's clear as day. Especially in the way he bragged to Hawking about it. And he did react to her outfit in the last episode. At least they had the decency to show that, instead of have him resist even more after kissing her. Molaro *is* aware that the relationship has to progress. The problem is whether they can make this a pleasant journey on the way there...

• Like 9

I hardly think they care about Mayim having award nominations. This season she was mostly in 1-2 scenes (with the occasional exception). They have Jim, who's won awards and keeps getting nominated time and again and they have Kaley who's popular and wins awards voted by fans. Shamy is a goldmine, but I don't think they realise that, or maybe they just don't care.

Yeah, I agree that Sheldon's reaction has changed to become less respectful, but I do also think that Amy is less confident about pushing back than she used to be back in the day. You know, like the argument on the merits of neurobiology and physics that led to the first 'break-up'. 

This x10!!!! She got into a heated arguement with him that lead to a 'break up' because of their respective fields, and now he mocks it and she just shakes her head. I loved that Amy, the take no nonesense Amy, I like that she can interact with other people now and not seem very weird, but I miss the old Amy.

• Like 1

I hardly think they care about Mayim having award nominations. This season she was mostly in 1-2 scenes (with the occasional exception). They have Jim, who's won awards and keeps getting nominated time and again and they have Kaley who's popular and wins awards voted by fans. Shamy is a goldmine, but I don't think they realise that, or maybe they just don't care.

Mayim is not unpopular with the audience at all though. I know Kaley is more popular but out of the 7 characters it's always these three who generate the most attention. I've seen several polls online where S/A/P are consistently the top three character by a mile compared to the rest. Granted, in some polls Sheldon has like twice the votes as A/P combined, but still... It's not like the openin credits order or paycheck reflects the popularity with the audience.

• Like 3