The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

I loved everything about the episode...even when Raj said, "Ooooo, the plot, like my gravy, thickens....." and slowly closes the door with that goofy look on his face. That's why I love the entire cast so much. A talented bunch.

• Like 2

I didn't particularly like the episode, it felt a bit rushed with the Lenny plot considering how big of a deal marriage is for these two. I was a bit put off by how dismissive Penny was of Leonard's annoyance, the man surely had a right to be pissed off. Although I guess she knew she had been stupid and didn't need to be told 138 times. But anyway, I digress about Lenny. 

Shamy: I'm really not a fan of when they make Amy all mature and normal like she was in this episode right from the beginning, with the constant contrast between Sheldon being childish and sulking and an ass and Amy being all "behave Sheldon!". That's not the kind of dynamic I enjoy with them at all. Especially with the stupid "Sheldon ignores me" jokes, which we clearly know make no sense since they're joined at the hip all the time and he only listens to her.... as per below.

Having said that, I did adore that Bernadette came out yelling at them and it didn't even phase Sheldon but as soon as Amy asked, quietly and politely, that he apologizes, he got up on his feet immediately. I was expecting her to come out and shout at him too, I was really surprised she spoke so softly to him. It really was amazing how he listened to her immediately and seemed to sober up, and I think they had her spoke softly to make the point that he genuinely only cares about her opinion and listens only to her, not because he's scared of her but because he is the only one he considers worth listening to.

Especially accompanied by that "Ain't she great?" (with the little nudge, of course). God, don't get me started on that moment because it was worth the whole episode. He looks over at his surrogate, temporary father-figure to show off his girlfriend and seek for approval. That he gets, as Mike nods so enthusiastically. The way Sheldon's smiles like she's the best thing since sliced bread is adorable. And the way they keep smiling at each other all along. I'm not going to get into another debate about the butt slap because I think we've had enough of that, but I did see it as pretty flirty and I still prefer it over Fish Guts.

I wish they would have had one coddamn sweet moment with them at the end though, like they did with every other pair of characters. Come on. Just one line with them sitting next to each other would have been great.

Sidenote: I think Raj was the best thing about this episode after that "Ain't she great?" moment.

eta: I'M SORRY!! What the hell am I saying??! ZACK! How could I forget Zack! Of course he is incredible, as always! Sorry, Zack, I should be ashamed of myself for forgetting about you!!! *hangs head in shame*

eta2: Wait! Hang on! Did they *deliberately* cut something that would have make the butt slap scene ambiguous?!?! *shocked* I've only just noticed they cut the part where Sheldon holds his hand after she disappears from the door, break the flirtatious smile and goes "Ouch, that's smart", which I remember some were saying means he was just putting on an act. Did the writers just cut something to make a scene LESS ambiguous?!? That's the first time it's ever happened!

Edited by koops
  • Like 5

I didn't particularly like the episode, it felt a bit rushed with the Lenny plot considering how big of a deal marriage is for these two. I was a bit put off by how dismissive Penny was of Leonard's annoyance, the man surely had a right to be pissed off. Although I guess she knew she had been stupid and didn't need to be told 138 times. But anyway, I digress about Lenny. 

I personally understand both sides, but if I had to choose, I have to agree with Leonard more then with Penny.

I would have liked it better if they had a small argument, like they did, and then just agreed that they sign the papers etc. after the evening.

Shamy: I'm really not a fan of when they make Amy all mature and normal like she was in this episode right from the beginning, with the constant contrast between Sheldon being childish and sulking and an ass and Amy being all "behave Sheldon!". That's not the kind of dynamic I enjoy with them at all. Especially with the stupid "Sheldon ignores me" jokes, which we clearly know make no sense since they're joined at the hip all the time and he only listens to her.... as per below.

Having said that, I did adore that Bernadette came out yelling at them and it didn't even phase Sheldon but as soon as Amy asked, quietly and politely, that he apologizes, he got up on his feet immediately. I was expecting her to come out and shout at him too, I was really surprised she spoke so softly to him. It really was amazing how he listened to her immediately and seemed to sober up, and I think they had her spoke softly to make the point that he genuinely only cares about her opinion and listens only to her, not because he's scared of her but because he is the only one he considers worth listening to.

I really liked the way they showed the Amy/Sheldon part of the evening. Sheldon was upset about going (the whole slave thing), but still went.

I like to think this all was done to work towards the part where Amy got Sheldon to apologize, where Bernadette did not manage to get to do that.

Especially accompanied by that "Ain't she great?" (with the little nudge, of course). God, don't get me started on that moment because it was worth the whole episode. He looks over at his surrogate, temporary father-figure to show off his girlfriend and seek for approval. That he gets, as Mike nods so enthusiastically. The way Sheldon's smiles like she's the best thing since sliced bread is adorable. And the way they keep smiling at each other all along.

This indeed was the best part of the entire episode, they were so sweet together.
I just thought the smile Amy gave was very weird. Sweet, but not as sweet I thought (or would have liked it to be) it would be.

I wish they would have had one coddamn sweet moment with them at the end though, like they did with every other pair of characters. Come on. Just one line with them sitting next to each other would have been great.

Indeed, they deserved a moment together alone and the end.

eta: I'M SORRY!! What the hell am I saying??! ZACK! How could I forget Zack! Of course he is incredible, as always! Sorry, Zack, I should be ashamed of myself for forgetting about you!!! *hangs head in shame*

I liked Zack in this episode, but like with my first comment, I thought it would have been better if the signing part was handled of screen.

That way they would have had more time to handle the Shamy/Lenny stuff in this episode.

Especially accompanied by that "Ain't she great?" (with the little nudge, of course). God, don't get me started on that moment because it was worth the whole episode. He looks over at his surrogate, temporary father-figure to show off his girlfriend and seek for approval. That he gets, as Mike nods so enthusiastically. The way Sheldon's smiles like she's the best thing since sliced bread is adorable. And the way they keep smiling at each other all along. I'm not going to get into another debate about the butt slap because I think we've had enough of that, but I did see it as pretty flirty and I still prefer it over Fish Guts.

Sidenote: I think Raj was the best thing about this episode after that "Ain't she great?" moment.

Yes to all.  I've only watched it once but the slavery stuff and the "normalcy" of Amy bugged me too.  I really think they should stick to the quirky POV and dynamic with these two.  Her convincing him to quit sulking with some kind Shamy-ish game or barter and him being happy with that arrangement while everyone else thinks they're weirdos is the dynamic I'd love to see more. I was hoping they would cut out the Roomba joke. ugh!  :girlmad:

The whole Lenny story still bothers me. My fellow viewers hated it and were really hating Penny.  Ouch! I do not like how they keep piling on the scarlet letters and lowering her IQ.  I'll leave that for another thread.  The fat mom jokes just made me agree with the list Miso made a few pages ago.  Yes, we get it she's fat and Howard's an ass of a son.  :girlsad:

What I'd like to key on is the word "rushed" from a technical perspective I thought the edits did not allow us to take in the scene.  Tomasina's report gave us a better set up for the "aawww" moments (The Tomasina version should be the director's cut).The car scene was too fast and they shortened the stronger versions of Sheldon's lines to Penny. rush- rush -rush-   Amy in the kitchen --- she puts things down --- boom! "Did you know Penny...." .  We don't get a chance to see a build up of concern.   Sheldon and Mike scenes each needed at least 5 seconds more to give us a time to sigh. I didn't expect him to take the beer or warm up to him so quickly, this is Sheldon. Even the simple marshmallow thing wasn't allowed the full funny and adorable time it deserved. I savor the subtly of acting without words, movements, pauses and glances if they happened here they were gone in a flash.  It's like the lines were more important than the acting. :nea: This episode may have had too much to squeeze into 20 minutes.  It wasn't a scavenger hunt but it was edited almost as quickly.

On Shamy, I too expected Amy to yell. It was just so sweet how she spoke to him.  (You know this just makes that next episode's line tick me off more!) I loved their gooey-ness which is why I would have much preferred a hug and a VERY flirty "can you get us some more beers" instead of the butt-slap nonsense.  Heck if he's drunk a caress or three little pats on the butt would've given it a lot more mileage. I still return to my same gripe about them withholding that physical tenderness from the viewer. :ireful:

This episode is a good example of when less would have been more. The Lenny story may have been too big for a holiday episode and in the end their rush editing took away any heart, sweetness or true resolve from the whole episode that they might have intended.  

• Like 2

It's once again the typical case of write with the hand and erase with the elbow. They really do not want to unambiguously show some tender affection between these two without taking it away right away with a punchline or making it inappropriate so that you are not allowed to enjoy it as pure love and affection.

It's something that is really starting to get to me. I wouldn't mind scenes like the butt slap if we also got some more affection elsewhere. But if all we get is controversial and ambiguous scenes, it makes Amy come across as desperate and is really not satisfying. However, I have to say I was surprised they cut the part with him holding his hand. That could have made the scene more ambiguous but instead they let it be implied he was flirting. Notice he didn't say "I'm drunk, I'm not being myself" he said "I'm behaving inappropriately". It's a subtle difference but it is there nonetheless.

• Like 3

I definitely could have gone without the Leonard/Penny/Zack story line (although it was great having Zack back). Kinda how I felt in the Valentines Day episode in season 6. Two of the couples were fighting?? WTF?? Why can't they have one peaceful holiday? LOL.

Other than that, I still stand by the fact that I really enjoyed it. I love to laugh and they nailed it.

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 2

I think something this show needs to learn is that you don't need to have snark and bitchiness to make a holiday themed episode non-sappy. There's tons of way things can go wrong with a holiday to make if funny without everyone being an ass to everyone else. The show seems to be so terrified of coming across as sappy that they go way overboard to compensate for it. Just chill! So what if some people think it is sappy? One ep a year isn't going to kill you. These last two episodes were way more reminiscent of the part of S 6 I didn't like rather than the feel good comedy from the other eps this season.

Edited by koops
  • Like 8

The look Sheldon gave Amy when she was walking back to the kitchen suggested that even in his drunk state he remembered she liked the spanking

Also Amy is the only one he listens to, Bernadette came in shouting which didn't work and Amy was very calm which helped

• Like 5

You all complain too much, sucking the fun out of everything and even Shamy at times.

I don't think we are complaining to much, we just voice our opinions.

We don't have to like everything happening to Pasadena's best Couple, right?

• Like 3

I don't think we are complaining to much, we just voice our opinions.

We don't have to like everything happening to Pasadena's best Couple, right?

Opinion?!? How dare you have an opinion! Trust the writers! Coddammit! 

;) 

• Like 7

I enjoyed the Shamy part in the last episode SO HARD. It clearly showed, that Sheldon searches affection towards Amy. Yes, I know he was drunk... but who cares? You all know, that he has problems to reveal his feelings in public. The alcohol just helped him to think less about something else!

Alcohol usually brings out the truth in people :)

Have watched the spanking scene several times and its just as funny and the little eye coitus moment between them

• Like 3

Have watched the spanking scene several times and its just as funny and the little eye coitus moment between them

Indeed, gonna try to make a sweet Gif about it tonight.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, thanks ;)

I enjoyed the eye coitus, but the dress distracted from the moment..............

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Shamy part in the last episode SO HARD. It clearly showed, that Sheldon searches affection towards Amy. Yes, I know he was drunk... but who cares? You all know, that he has problems to reveal his feelings in public. The alcohol just helped him to think less about something else!

ITA. I think Sheldon was awesome in this episode, Jim was really incredible with his body language and all. I think people who dismiss what he did as him not really meaning it because he was drunk are kind of hiding their heads in the sand. We've been shown again and again that when Sheldon is drunk it's just his inhibitions lowering but he speaks the truth. 

The thing I didn't like about Shamy in this ep is that I hate when they turn Amy into his mother. I did like that she got him to apologize, that was fine, but I could have done with all her outrage about the slavery stuff (although Miss Amy did make me chuckle) and shoving sulking-Sheldon around. To be honest, the whole sulking stuff didn't make a lot of sense. Sheldon had agreed to go to Mrs Wolowitz's quite quickly at the beginning of the episode (which I was really pleasantly surprised about!), so why does he then suddenly sulk again in the next scene? I think it would have been funnier if the ep had centered around all the characters around the dinner table and with Sheldon becoming more and more annoyed as the dinner goes on and there isn't one single dish he can criticize. Maybe even glaring at Leonard across the table. And then, to drown his sorrows, he could have gotten drunk with Mike all the same. But at least it would have cut out the whole slavery/Amy-as-his-mother dynamic and it could have been more about Shamy trying to come up with some weird way for Penny to get her annulment. Mena reminded me that they seem to have cut that awesome line from Amy "Bigamy is not an option. Unless you have another husband that we don't know about?". Why, why why did they cut that?!

It really makes me sad to see her turned into a plot device to fit whatever story they want to tell with Sheldon in that episode. She acts like his mother if they want him to sulk and be annoying, she acts annoyed if they want him to be sweet and they need her to take the sentiment out of the room, she rarely acts weird nowadays because their modus operandi is to have all characters react to Sheldon as if he's the weird one. You have moments like "poor Leonard" from 7x02 or Proton and the orthopedic shoes, but they are very far and few in between. It is *so* hilarious when the point of Shamy is to have others go "WTF" at them. I do think Prady really cherished Amy more as her own character and put a lot of thought into whether her lines and reactions made sense in terms of who she is as a person, not just in terms of what they need her to say or do to react to Sheldon, whereas the new directive puts a lot less effort into her characterization. And even when she's not with Sheldon they constantly have to make her lines be about Sheldon and all the affection she doesn't get from him. Are they even capable of looking at this character and see her as something other than sex and Sheldon? But I know... she's a secondary character and it was probably stupid of me to get so caught up with her. Most of the audience probably doesn't even notice these things.

However, she did go through the "lesbian-for-Penny" phase that stopped at some point, and now I really enjoy her interactions with Penny ("Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!" LOL!). So I'm hoping *at some point* we will get past this "hungry-for-Sheldon" phase too. Pleeeeeease?

On a total superficial note, Amy looked so damn pretty in the car scene. Both of them did. Wish she could have kept that coat on all day! Can someone gif that so we can all stare at her beauty and sigh and forget about the ugly dress? 

• Like 8

On a total superficial note, Amy looked so damn pretty in the car scene. Both of them did. Wish she could have kept that coat on all day! Can someone gif that so we can all stare at her beauty and sigh and forget about the ugly dress? 

I will try to make one when I get home tonight.

• Like 1

You all complain too much, sucking the fun out of everything and even Shamy at times.

No, that's just you sucking the fun out of it for yourself.

I re-watched that scene several times before going to bed. Haha. I agree about the alcohol. Definitely not a negative thing for me.

• Like 4

I just watched the scene. It did not look like Amy was submissive at all. I think it went like this:

1.) She was flattered by the "Ain't she great" line by Sheldon"

2.) Buttslap

3.) Confused (WTF?)

4.) Not sure how to respond (which is why she slowly walked towards the door)

5.) Slightly smiling (starting to feel amused by what happened, not because it was sexual, it was because it was so out of character for sheldon)

6.) The smile at the end (amused still)

• Like 3

I just watched the scene. It did not look like Amy was submissive at all. I think it went like this:

1.) She was flattered by the "Ain't she great" line by Sheldon"

2.) Buttslap

3.) Confused (WTF?)

4.) Not sure how to respond (which is why she slowly walked towards the door)

5.) Slightly smiling (starting to feel amused by what happened, not because it was sexual, it was because it was so out of character for sheldon)

6.) The smile at the end (amused still)

You know what? I think that's what they probably meant to convey, and I'm just going to head canon that and go with it so I can live with the episode.

• Like 1

Ok so I'm back in the spoiler threads. After watching last night, I read the remaining taping report and was like I am done torturing myself :) 

So I thought this episode was very funny maybe the funniest in the last few season IMO (my favorite was Romance Resonance but this was definitely the funniest for me!)! I didn't like the Sheldon slave jokes (the only part that really made me cringe) but I didn't mind the Sheldon pouting about going to Ms. H's and Amy acting like his "mother". Honestly I think TBBT leans on that joke for all the guys almost every episode. Sheldon more so than others. The slap was funny but I dont think it was much more, just that like someone said it was probably what his dad did to his mom. I do love when Sheldon said "isnt she great" but I woudl have like him to put him arm around her or place his hand on her back vs. nudge her but it was still cute!

Also since I just read the taping report although I am sad no SIK (like I always am when we don't have one ;) ) I am glad I didn't miss the excitement in the spoiler threads for when it does happen :)