The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

Regardless, I honestly am having a hard time bringing myself to care about the next episode because going by the recent track record even if the gang realizes they love Sheldon and can't stand for life without him we will go back to status effin quo in 7x12 with another Amy is desperate joke and Sheldon being ignorant of his friends desires.

I think we need to calm down a bit, we know very, very little about 7'12, and we have no idea how "they" are gonna show this daydreaming to us.

Even if it is that the others come to realize the their lives are better with Sheldon in it, there are still alot of ways to do it so it won't return to the status quo.

For example, if the skype chat with Amy really is at the end of the episode, that could make all the difference.

But it also could be just a lame sex joke, as we all are fearing to get one again.

I'd suggest calming down a bit, and just wait for either the taping report or even better, the actual episode.

Episode 7.12 has not been taped.  It is the one being taped on Tuesday that we did not get a script cover for and we definitely know nothing about.   The episode that is airing Thursday is 7.11 which is "The Cooper Extraction" episode (Christmas one).   That we know, a little but very little about.  We just know that Sheldon does Skype Amy at some point in the episode. 

I do agree that Mena brings up many great points, but I honestly believe they are building somewhere and sadly it appears it is a painful process getting there.   I hope by season end we will all be feeling a lot happier and feel like they are making progress because, as Mena mentioned above, right now it feels like we are spinning our wheels and going no where and they have in many ways sabotaged both Sheldon and Amy's characters and their relationship in the process.  It has been difficult to watch them little by little take more and more away from what made them special.   Their quirks are getting fewer, their connection has pretty much been non-existent, and we have not had a single form of affection (other than the drunk butt smack) all season.   Sorry, but the butt smack is not a form of affection that makes us feel warm and fuzzy that they are heading the right place.  At this point they have pretty much made Shamy what they were hoping to avoid, a couple like any other couple on the show, only in this case she acts more like his mother and he her son.   None of us wanted to see their relationship go that direction.   That is what I find disturbing. Not only that, they have made Sheldon nearly unlikeable.  He has grown mean and while he was always self-centered, he always had a soft spot for Amy and now doesn't even seem to have that any more.

Why did the eye-coitus stop?   Why did the hand-holding stop (other than being referenced as having occurred off-screen).  How come Sheldon can hug others, but not Amy without it being a HUGE deal and only off camera at that?   We were robbed of affection in S6 like crazy and it has only gotten worse this season.   It has to be leading to a large payoff or they honestly won't have any fans caring any longer.  I already see people wanting them to break up for a while so that Sheldon will realize what he has lost.   I wanted them to never have to deal with a breakup and still don't want them dealing with one because that is what regular sitcom couples do.   I wanted them to be the exception and I am feeling less and less like they are at this point. 

I hope I am right and the writers are going through the painful process that is required leading to a big payoff, but right now I can't say they instill much confidence.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 8

I think we need to calm down a bit, we know very, very little about 7'12, and we have no idea how "they" are gonna show this daydreaming to us.

Even if it is that the others come to realize the their lives are better with Sheldon in it, there are still alot of ways to do it so it won't return to the status quo.

For example, if the skype chat with Amy really is at the end of the episode, that could make all the difference.

But it also could be just a lame sex joke, as we all are fearing to get one again.

I'd suggest calming down a bit, and just wait for either the taping report or even better, the actual episode.

Chiany the part about them going back to status quo isn't what I actually think is going to happen, it's my prediction. Past behavior is always the best indicator for the future and whenever the writers have done a Sheldon-tribute episode we still went back to status quo in the episodes following that where Sheldon annoys them and everyone else is frustrated with him. Honestly what makes you trust the writers wont go back to status quo given how they choose to keep making jokes about how Amy wants affection and Sheldon is unwilling and/or clueless even after love spell ad nauseum? Or using the plot device of penny being "dumb" and "alcoholic" even when she is supposed to have the most street-smart of all the characters. I guess I'm digressing but as a fan I have been waiting for 3 years for some movement to happen. Some people here have been expecting a kiss since the S05 finale and the writers haven't obliged. To me the kiss isn't the big deal, it's the complete lack of physical affection from Sheldon towards her. If there is some physical affection it's completely ambiguous on Sheldon's side and unmeaningful. Again, what happened to the show that would unapologetically show Sheldon thinking of Amy at inappropriate times with a sexual roleplay at the end? The writers have just stopped taking risks and have normalized Amy many times the last and current season because they are focusing way too much on the Sheldon side of the relationship. If they focused on amys side of things they would realize that this relationship does not work for Amy at all.

We as a group have been waiting for 3 years for the relationship to start working for Amy so I don't think patience is the problem. I don't even think I need to calm down because although I'm ranting, I'm not mad. I don't think they have destroyed Shamy. I do think I'm at the end of my patience and I'm honestly starting to mentally check out of the show. If they just show shamy with no progression then what's the point of watching future eps since we already know what's going to happen with them given the writers haven't let up for the past 3 years. I'm just so bored of the repeated jokes.

Edited by menamena
  • Like 4

Okay, I want to post something actually on topic, I thought it would be nice to share what an interesting experience being spoiler free has been for me. Originally I was just planning on abstaining until the first episode premiered in September, but... Yeah, things went a wee bit longer than that.

It's fascinating how this experiment didn't go like I imagined. After the emotional rollercoaster from the end of Season 6, I believed that a lot of the distress was the result of reading spoilers and having days on end to wrestle with what was to come. So I thought that by going without the spoilers, the episode descriptions, the promo material, I would enjoy the ride a lot more and wouldn't be quite so nit-picky.

At first that was the case; I was watching the show with fresh eyes, and had to take plots, lines, and everything as it happened on screen - no lengthy discussions or previews beforehand. 

This was genuinely a wonderful change from how things ended with Season 6, and I found that I didn’t react with the same kind of emotion as a lot of other people were – but that was only temporarily. As more episodes were aired and viewed, I began noticing lines and plots that were illogical and, in my opinion, disappointing. It was the same sort of ‘nit-picky’ behaviour that I thought going spoiler free would eliminate; it didn’t. I still picked up on elements of the story or characters that were subpar, what I consider weak writing. In reality, going without spoilers didn’t reduce me to being a blissfully unaware, mindless viewer (what I was admittedly worried of); the only thing that actually changed was me knowing what was going to happen in an episode before watching it.

That is basically why I decided to hop off the wagon and join everyone else here. The reasons I went spoiler free in the first place no longer made sense; because even without the discussions, ranting, and taping reports – I still picked up on the details, both good and bad. At least being spoiled I’m able to discuss them, and the journey is significantly less lonely.

• Like 7

First of all. OMC CAITSIE IS BACK!!!! :wub:

Now that we got that one out of the way, Amen to mena's posts.

I think, Chiany, the issues are 2: different people have different reasons for watching the show every week and different people have different tolerance levels. Also, I think it depends on *when* you start following the show religiously. If you've only started following it religiously (and by religiously I mean be really invested, dissect and analyze everything every week) fairly recently, then of course you'll have more tolerance and more patience. But if you've been waiting for years and years with no movement, patience starts running thin at some point.

In my case, just like mena, it isn't even a case of patience as much as boredom. Yes, the show is funny and can be enjoyed for its humor, and indeed that's how I used to watch it in the past: whenever I was eating my dinner and it was on tv, I'd watch whatever episode I came across for 20 minutes, have a laugh and move on with my life. But I would not care about missing episodes or watching them in order or watching them all or anything. It was when I finally noticed Amy in S5 that I went back to watch all the episodes she appeared in in order because I kept catching an episode here and an episode there and see how different she seemed and I wanted to find out how she got from point A to point B: what was her character development? How did she become friends with Penny? Were her and Sheldon dating all along or what? It was character development that made me addicted to the show, and now we are starting to get little of it, VERY VERY subtle and VERY VERY inconsistent. So I'm getting bored, and I'm slowly drifting back into not caring, to be honest. I ended up watching the ep right away as it aired this week just because I really needed a break from work, but otherwise I would have left it until the weekend. That's how unexcited I was about it. 

What pains me the most, is what they're doing to Amy and Shamy as a cost of keeping Sheldon "Sheldon". She was, IMO, one of the best female characters ever written on television. She was totally unique and original and something unlike we've ever seen before. She managed to bring the mighty Sheldon to his knees by wearing too many cardigans, having a brain the size of a house and making inappropriate comments at the dinner table. It was delightful to watch a man with no interest in relationships fall for a woman who was frumpy and conventionally unappealing because of her mind and her charm, rather than her body. That not only made Amy special, it made Sheldon an even more special man. It was a joy to watch them develop a relationship that worked *for them*, even if it appeared cold and detached on the surface, because they were both so happy with it. I would have not cared less if they had both died virgin and never kissing if both had been happy about it. The relationship, over the last two years, has been reduced to that quote from Jim from Conan. And it is frankly depressing. Not that Shamy don't still have amazingly cute moments, like this season in particularly proved. But the mood is ALWAYS killed by the compulsory reminder to the audience that "Amy wants physical affection that Sheldon won't give her." Amy, the vixen with the brain the size of a house who made Sheldon fantasize about her pale shoulders and who was attracted to her because she was more similar to him than anyone he had ever met, has been turned into a character whose essence revolves around pining for his affections, to the point where I actually kind of want her to shoot him down when he tries to kiss her, SIK be damned, just to restore her dignity in that department. 

"Everything is just sex with you, isn't it?" - That is actually what I would like to bark at the writers, not at Amy. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 9

@ Menamena & Koops,

I think I do feel the same as you two for the most part, but yeah, I have not been talking about the episodes as much, and so much detail since I joined this forum at the start of this season.

And therefor, I might not be so bored with Shamy as you, but I do notice the deconstruction of them together, and Amy as a person.

I just keep saying to myself, it must make sense for "them" to do it this way, but we just don't know yet why.

That's why I keep my hopes up for the rest of the season.

Could be a big mistake on my part.

Hope this makes any sense...

Edited by Chiany

I don't expect there to be couple stuff every episode but even without that, the comments from both Amy & Sheldon seem unnecessary but I'm guessing like others that the writers have some sort of plan

I'm still hoping for something special on 7'15 or even before or after

I still have high hopes for the shamy :)

• Like 1

@ Menamena & Koops,

I think I do feel the same as you two for the most part, but yeah, I have not been talking about the episodes as much, and so much detail since I joined this forum at the start of this season.

And therefor, I might not be so bored with Shamy as you, but I do notice the deconstruction of them together, and Amy as a person.

I just keep saying to myself, it must make sense for "them" to do it this way, but we just don't know yet why.

That's why I keep my hopes up for the rest of the season.

Could be a big mistake on my part.

Hope this makes any sense...

It does, trust me. I can't fault people for being patient :) I wish I could have some of your patience and excitement back. 

What I would advise, more than anything, is not to make your enjoyment of the show rely  too much onto "it makes sense for them to do this but we don't know why" because they don't plan very much ahead. They did say at the beginning of the season they had no plans for Shamy and boy does it show.

I just think it's bad for a show when your actors go for interviews and get asked "So what's new?" and they're like ".... Well... the writers are very good at being true to the characters (read: Sheldon)..." because there is literally nothing new to tell and they don't want to answer "Nothing." It's bad for a story when there is NOTHING to tell. It puzzles me that the writers would be happy to give interviews where instead of telling the audience "You MUST watch this show this season because we have a lot of exciting stuff in store for you" they say "The main focus is to make sure that the show doesn't change too much." What show sells themselves on "Watch our show. Nothing happens!"

I love the fact that this show builds on small incremental steps to develop their stories and intersperse the development with "slice of life" stories. I love it because it's very very true to life and allows it not to turn into a rom-com or a drama. But even by their standards these last 2 years have been pretty ridiculous. Even the most "groundbreaking" plots lose their impact factor in retrospect when they then lead nowhere. I mean, think of the D&D sex and how much of a big deal that was made out to be. We were all so excited to see Shamy interact again after that, thinking that it would surely be a new era in their relationship. Instead, they kept them apart in the following episode, with a hiatus in between AND for most of the start of the season (7x01, 7x02, 7x03) and, after a couple of eps where it seemed like it was coming to fruition (7x04 and 7x05), we are back to same old, same old. Amy wants sex, Shedon won't budge. If that scene was meant to be some kind of culmination in their relationship, then they are doing a piss-poor job at conveying that, because I don't feel like it has changed their dynamic very much at all. If anything Amy's comments have become even more frequent.

Or the "day-dream" scene in Romance Resonance. If that had led to a SIK in sweeps it would have been genius, but now it's starting to look more and more like a chance to show how desperate Amy is. There was one review I read about that episode that really depressed me, saying how that scene essentially illustrated how Amy has to fantasize for Sheldon to be in love with her because he obviously wouldn't be in real life like he loves his comic books or trains. I got really angry about it at the time, and I don't believe Sheldon doesn't love her, but it's true that it's a very sad scene if you think about it after nothing has happened from it.

Or the handhold in 5x24. It was sold, like the D&D, to be this amazing moment that had everyone crying and we open S6 with Sheldon bitching about handholding, Amy pining for his affections, and end it 20 episodes later with Sheldon re-emphasizing how much he hates holding hands with her. That really took away a lot of the power of that 5x24 scene for me. 

I'm just bored with getting "big moments" and being told how amazing they are, only to later realize they were just crumbs to keep me watching when they're really not meant to lead anywhere. So that's the reason I'm very careful at saying "It's foreshadowing" now. We haven't had real, proper foreshadowing since S5. The only one we had in S6 (6x10 -> 6x14) was then taken away from us. They can very well take it away again. 

Now that I've said this, of course, in the next episode there will be the most heartwarming Skype call where Shamy declare their endless devotion to each other. I bet. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 6

I don't expect there to be couple stuff every episode but even without that, the comments from both Amy & Sheldon seem unnecessary but I'm guessing like others that the writers have some sort of plan

I'm still hoping for something special on 7'15 or even before or after

I still have high hopes for the shamy :)

Ah yes 7'15 is the 150th episode right?

I know they did something kinda special with the 100th, so maybe.

Not sure on when that one would air, but could during sweeps?