Internet, Forums, Social Media!

I was thinking at best, forums could operate like those groups that met in Paris(eg: Les Apaches), early twentieth century, but virtually. Different people, artists. musicians, writers coming together to share ideas, and inspire each other to greater things. At worst, just a slanging match, where people think it's okay to insult others(and as we've seen on Twitter, threaten others). 

• Like 2

forums are epic

facebook ,twitter are useless in my opinion

at least forums give you the possbility to make a good looking webpage , add a lot of things you like and discuss things in a very easy way

i love forums

Advantage: connect with friends and family, and possibly make new friends.

Disadvantage: you only have to read what happened in the papers recently...

I'd like to be able to understand the mentality of those people. They recently printed pictures and names of those who made threats on twitter. But I'd really like to know what they think they are doing? Is it because they think they can stay anonymous? Do they act like that in the real world, I doubt it. Maybe whenever someone is deemed to be bullying someone else, the moderators should print their names. I bet that would stop them!

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

We have a saying here, that translates as "in real life, nobody looks as bad as their ID card or as good as their Facebook picture"

• Like 2

526081_3850475062963_1257271862_n.jpg

I do find this interesting.  I think it doesn't make sense to put on "airs" and yet I surly wouldn't think people should hang out all their dirty laundry on facebook either!  I use it to stay in touch with some people I am not living close to and otherwise would not get to connect with often.  It is good for that.  As it is with anything, one should just use some good common sense.  (if they indeed have any-lol) There just was a news story of a man who posted a pic of his dead x-wife stating that he had just killed her. Not quite right in the head I would think.   :icon_rolleyes:

I look horrible in every photo. Passport, (But looking horrible there is mandatory) casual photo, self-taken photo, sneaky photo by someone else, and I bet if i had Facebook I'd look horrible in all the other photos too.

The strange thing is, that I don't think I look horrible when I look at myself in the mirror!

I think: ''I'm looking alright. Better take a photo.''

And then I turn into Mrs. Punch in a bad wig.

I hear ya. I look bad in most pictures, horrible in some and once in a while (my passport picture is the worst picture in the world), in a very long while, one comes up where I look decent, so I cling to that picture with all my life and post it everywhere :p

The consensus is, according to friends and family, that I'm not photogenic. I look better in person than in pictures. I don't know if it is true, but I wanna believe it is!

• Like 1

The picture I posted in the ''Post a picture of yourself'' thread is the single best picture I have ever taken of myself... and even that isn't that good. I'm trying to convince my mother that she should have that picture of me in her purse rather than the one from 6 years ago that she clings on to.

'Twould be a vague improvement.

Your picture doesn't look half-bad! it's actually quite good! -and that is the truth as I am not prone to free compliments :)

• Like 1

I think I still see myself the way my parents made me believe I looked. I think alot of us look better in real life; mobile, animated with expression, character showing through, than caught in that one instant, when personally I'm thinking,'why are you taking my picture, you bar steward?'

• Like 1

The following excerpt appeared in makeuseof.com on 21 September, 2011

The Internet is without doubt a great invention. Unfortunately, no one so far has been able to develop an anti-troll device that will help to make it a more civilized place. You might have come across this beast called the Internet troll too, in the white of comment boxes, on social networks, and on discussion boards. On the web, a troll is nothing but a pest who thrives in the anonymity that it provides. The Urban Dictionary has quite a few definitions lined up. But – one who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument – is the most point blank. But – one who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument – is the most point blank. So, how do you take the war to the Internet trolls? First, by reading the pugmarks and recognizing a troll from a guy who just wants to start a one-off flame war.

Fortunately, it’s easy to spot an Internet troll from a distance. They have their own sets of socially unacceptable behaviors.

Trolls generally use provocative and confrontational language. A clever one will mix it up with relevant and friendly posts.
Trolls hardly ever stick to the topic; they beat around the bush with the intention to confuse the reader.
Trolls of the subtle variety flag off their attack with innocent questions. You will often find them dressed up as new members of forums and chat rooms.
Trolls lack understanding of a topic. They will not respond with a proper answer to a proper question.
Trolls (especially the clever variants) use catch phrases to win sympathy. For instance, they may portray themselves as victims, specially challenged or claim to be defenders of others.
Trolls, since they lack understanding of a topic, they will resort to logical fallacies.

Some logical fallacies that have appeared on the board are:

Argument from ignorance (appeal to ignorance, argumentum ad ignorantiam) – assuming that a claim is true (or false) because it has not been proven false (true) or cannot be proven false (true)
Begging the question (petitio principii) – providing what is essentially the conclusion of the argument as a premise.
Circular reasoning – when the reasoner begins with what he or she is trying to end up with; sometimes called assuming the conclusion.
Equivocation – the misleading use of a term with more than one meaning (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time)
Moving the goalposts (raising the bar) – argument in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded.
Onus probandi – from Latin "onus probandi incumbit ei qui dicit, non ei qui negat" the burden of proof is on the person who makes the claim, not on the person who denies (or questions the claim). It is a particular case of the "argumentum ad ignorantiam" fallacy, here the burden is shifted on the person defending against the assertion.
Red herring – a speaker attempts to distract an audience by deviating from the topic at hand by introducing a separate argument which the speaker believes will be easier to speak to
Personal Attacks ("Argumentum ad Hominem")- the evasion of the actual topic by directing the attack at your opponent
Straw man – an argument based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position

• Like 2

I've noticed two small distinct groups on this forum(call them Matter and Anti-Matter!). The Creativos; who offer different perspectives, bring new ideas, start interesting threads and generally create a lively dynamic forum. A clique of Negativos; who seem to offer little of value, or interest(and take ten paragraphs to do it!),they appear to have closed minds, and try to stop the diversity of ideas, they are limited to exactly what is shown in TBBT. They try to destroy the first group, but ultimately destroy the forum itself!

My quick guide to Forum Survival; avoid religious and political discussions. Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are important. They add to the dynamic of the forum. If you wish to express a view which is different to the prevailing view, do it on a 'safe' thread(for example on the 'Sheldon and Penny shipper thread' we usually accept Alternate Realities, just check with users first). If you choose to express yourself on an 'open' thread, remember some members closed their minds along time ago, and have no sense of humour. When they start to mobilise, and start to get personal,(belittle your education, insult your intelligence, integrity,etc) leave, it will only get worse. Once you recognise who these 'negativos' are, simply never read their posts, block them, and don't let them into your heads. Remember there are many interesting threads. We try to keep threads running for discussing; books, films, comedies and other programmes, art, and many other subjects. Enjoy!      

I joined this forum to primarily discuss TBBT so I try to stick to that.  But this forum has some wonderful games that I enjoy dabbling in and some lively discussions that were tried out.  Yeah it's hard to discuss religion or politics because there is a lot of differing opinions and many do not come from the same background as everyone else.  I'm learning to accept other's opinions with grace while still upholding to beliefs I have.  Not that hard really when you come to think of it.

I don't block or ignore anyone because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But I also feel I have the right to not agree with them and say so.  If one really wants to have a place where their opinion is basically the only one read then I would suggest to anyone to set up a blog...

• Like 1

My quick guide to Forum Survival; avoid religious and political discussions. Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are important. They add to the dynamic of the forum.

Just remember, Freedom of speech and Freedom of expression(and all the other Freedoms and limits) were put in place to prevent the GOVERNMENT from taking away individual rights and freedoms.

Those limits do not apply to individuals or non-governmental organizations. This forum was set up, is run and paid for by Tripper. As a result, he has put rules in place that he wants. Those rules can seem to limit speech and expression, simply because this place is his, no one else's. If any poster doesn't follow the rules, as set up and interpreted by Tripper, then Tripper has the option of removing any posts he feels is against his policies along with removing the poster.

If you wish to express a view which is different to the prevailing view, do it on a 'safe' thread(for example on the 'Sheldon and Penny shipper thread' we usually accept Alternate Realities, just check with users first).

All the open thread accept alternate realities also. You just have to remember that if you claim that it's part of the show, or is supported by the show, you will probably get asked to support your contentions. If you post an idea of alternate realities, as a fictional device, you may get questions, but no one will expect you to provide evidence.

If you choose to express yourself on an 'open' thread, remember some members closed their minds along time ago, and have no sense of humour.

The members minds aren't closed, it just that there are quite a few members who think that claims made, should be supported. As our favorite scientists in The Big Bang Theory require. Alternate universes or alternate themes in fiction are always enjoyable. I use them in my writing, but if you're going to make a general claim about the show (not fictional adjuncts of the show)and you get asked to provide evidence, simply do so. There are members who will rush off on tangent, try confusion, or avoid answering. All because they know they can't support their contentions. Just remember it's not a case of closed minds, it a case of having a filter, so BS doesn't get in.

When they start to mobilise, and start to get personal,(belittle your education, insult your intelligence, integrity,etc) leave, it will only get worse. Once you recognise who these 'negativos' are, simply never read their posts, block them, and don't let them into your heads. Remember there are many interesting threads. We try to keep threads running for discussing; books, films, comedies and other programmes, art, and many other subjects. Enjoy!

A quote by gaqo, from the thread

Please read the post above, because it was your misunderstanding that started this tangent. And Oh sweetie, the busses don't even go where you live, do they(thanks Penny

While the bolded part is a quote from Penny, it's still an insult to the previous poster's intelligence. An insult from the quoted poster, who warns about others being insulting.

I joined this forum to primarily discuss TBBT so I try to stick to that.  But this forum has some wonderful games that I enjoy dabbling in and some lively discussions that were tried out.  Yeah it's hard to discuss religion or politics because there is a lot of differing opinions and many do not come from the same background as everyone else.  I'm learning to accept other's opinions with grace while still upholding to beliefs I have.  Not that hard really when you come to think of it.

I don't block or ignore anyone because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But I also feel I have the right to not agree with them and say so.  If one really wants to have a place where their opinion is basically the only one read then I would suggest to anyone to set up a blog...

Did she just tell me to 'blog off!'? It's standard advice on 'bullying help websites', just block those who are being abusive. I reserve it for six members, who have been abusive towards me and others! Yes I agree, we come here to discuss TBBT, but there's more available for those that get bored by some of the more banal topics. As you know, when it comes to religion, I think people have the right to their own personal beliefs. What I meant was; be neither a detractor nor a proselytiser(atheists and scientists also have a right to their beliefs). Personally, I think there should be a safe thread for those who wish to discuss their beliefs, religious texts and the benefits of spiritual development(morality,tolerance,acceptance,forgiveness). Religion has contributed to the spiritual, moral and intellectual evolutionary development of humanity.

Did she just tell me to 'blog off!'?

No I did not tell you to blog off.  I simply suggested that if you wanted to have no one disagree with you that a blog would be better than a forum. 

Just remember, Freedom of speech and Freedom of expression(and all the other Freedoms and limits) were put in place to prevent the GOVERNMENT from taking away individual rights and freedoms.

Those limits do not apply to individuals or non-governmental organizations. This forum was set up, is run and paid for by Tripper. As a result, he has put rules in place that he wants. Those rules can seem to limit speech and expression, simply because this place is his, no one else's. If any poster doesn't follow the rules, as set up and interpreted by Tripper, then Tripper has the option of removing any posts he feels is against his policies along with removing the poster.

Bolding is mine.  That's it in a nutshell.  People are under the mistaken impression that a forum is a democracy and it's really not.  The owner sets the rules and we all have a choice whether we accept them or not.

So next time the negativos tell you what to think. Imagine being limited to just what's in TBBT, CBS info,etc. That's why they react that way. Threatened by the unfamiliar. Strange how they all look similar!6485.jpg?t=1301657289 Jimmy_Speckerman.png