The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ayin

My Thoughts On The Show

Oh Disgusted you are too funny.

I too like the original formula and think Season 1 is one of the funniest.  But I also think Season 6 is great too.  But I am polar opposites so maybe that's why  :icon_wink:

I like season six, but for different reasons than season one.

I like season six, but for different reasons than season one.

Don't leave me hanging.  I know the vibe is different for the two seasons but why do you like Season Six?

Don't leave me hanging.  I know the vibe is different for the two seasons but why do you like Season Six?

If I had my druthers, I would be happy to watch season 1 & 2 type antics forever. Playing around with cool stuff and chasing after girls. Juvenile, I know, but I'm a guy, I gotta go with what I know. :icon_wink:

Hmm, season six

....the things that love can drive a man to. The ecstasies, the miseries, the broken rules, the desperate chances, the glorious failures, the glorious victories.

McCoy

So Leonard basically failed with Penny until the middle of season 5, They say that the only cause worth fighting for is the hopeless one. When Leonard walked over and asked Penny out again, he risked everything, That was brave. They will write songs about Leonard.

So yes, My name is Disgusted, and I am a Lenny shipper....... :icon_redface:

P.S.

Disclaimer: Go Shamy!

Edited by Disgusted
  • Like 3

If I had my druthers, I would be happy to watch season 1 & 2 type antics forever. Playing around with cool stuff and chasing after girls. Juvenile, I know, but I'm a guy, I gotta go with what I know. :icon_wink:

Hmm, season six

So Leonard basically failed with Penny until the middle of season 5, They say that the only cause worth fighting for is the hopeless one. When Leonard walked over and asked Penny out again, he risked everything, That was brave. They will write songs about Leonard.

So yes, My name is Disgusted, and I am a Lenny shipper....... :icon_redface:

P.S.

Disclaimer: Go Shamy!

I'm a guy, sort of, and I enjoyed s4 because it lead to s5. It ended well and was an interesting ride, it went somewhere I didn't know. Different paths up the mountain, I guess.

• Like 1

I think this is a dilemma that every long running show has.  Do you stay with the original formula and just punch out cookie cutter episodes that do not stray from the original premise.  OR do you move into unchartered waters that will prolong the show (as one writer said at Comic Con some of them have kids that need to go to college) and create more depth for the actors so that they don't get stale in their portrayal.

It's a catch-22 because no matter what they do, someone is going to be displeased with the result. 

I will though agree that TBBT has veered a bit much off its original premise in that science and nerdiness has taken a back seat to the relationship growths.  But I think that could be rectified without destroying Lenny, Shamy, Howdette, or whomever.  But again regardless someone is not going to be happy...

But they're not really uncharted waters. They're the waters that countless previous sitcoms have already sailed.

The original formula was the uncharted waters.

• Like 1

But they're not really uncharted waters. They're the waters that countless previous sitcoms have already sailed.

The original formula was the uncharted waters.

That's the point - moving into the area of these scientists having relationships is unchartered water for TBBT only.  Wasn't referring to any other show...

I liked the show WAY BETTER without Amy and Bernadette. Howard is no longer fun and Amy is creepy. They in turn ruined Sheldon and Howard.

I used to be a BIG Leonard and Penny backer(hence the SN) But I do hear you. They have NOTHING in common. I guess I just liked it because I've been there. A guy with glasses who likes the sexy blonde haired chick out of his league. I'm no geek like Leonard though lol. I wanted him to get what I couldn't.

As for the characters, minus Penny I feel like they've all regressed. As for Penny it would be IMPOSSIBLE to regress any worse than she was.

The show used to be better but it's not insufferable like Modern Family has become. I feel like this show could go another 8-10 years and i'm OKAY with that.

• Like 1

Lenny works because of their differences, to say they dint work because they have nothing in common lol I mean have u been watching the show thats the whole point of Lenny duh the nerd getting the hot chick. It works because reinnforces the idea of finding common ground even tho they are so different, as their differences may be at the surface, but their samnesses are skin deep. And Penny hasent regresses she has progressed and matured alot in S6, shes almost so domesticated now, her self actulization has changed. Relationships are all about trusr and compromise, Penny has grown to trust Leonard alot more and compromise even more. Dont get why ppl say dont work because they have nothing in common, well they have managed so far lol, TBH their differences compliment each other.

I liked the show WAY BETTER without Amy and Bernadette. Howard is no longer fun and Amy is creepy. They in turn ruined Sheldon and Howard.

I used to be a BIG Leonard and Penny backer(hence the SN) But I do hear you. They have NOTHING in common. I guess I just liked it because I've been there. A guy with glasses who likes the sexy blonde haired chick out of his league. I'm no geek like Leonard though lol. I wanted him to get what I couldn't.

As for the characters, minus Penny I feel like they've all regressed. As for Penny it would be IMPOSSIBLE to regress any worse than she was.

The show used to be better but it's not insufferable like Modern Family has become. I feel like this show could go another 8-10 years and i'm OKAY with that.

Careful. For some reason a lot of posters out here are VERY protective of her.

Edited by djvang
  • Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Careful. For some reason a lot of posters out here are VERY protective of her.

Yes we are, the same way every poster is protective of their favorite character.

• Like 1

Yes we are, the same way every poster is protective of their favorite character.

I don't think every poster is. I know I'm not.  Because they're not real.

Lenny works because of their differences, to say they dint work because they have nothing in common lol I mean have u been watching the show thats the whole point of Lenny duh the nerd getting the hot chick. It works because reinnforces the idea of finding common ground even tho they are so different, as their differences may be at the surface, but their samnesses are skin deep. And Penny hasent regresses she has progressed and matured alot in S6, shes almost so domesticated now, her self actulization has changed. Relationships are all about trusr and compromise, Penny has grown to trust Leonard alot more and compromise even more. Dont get why ppl say dont work because they have nothing in common, well they have managed so far lol, TBH their differences compliment each other.

I disagree. In my opinion it's impossible to be with someone you have so litle (or nothing) in common. The reason "Lenny" is still on it's because it's not real! it's a tv show! They could match Sheldon with a prostitute and we would have to suck it and deal with it.

I disagree. In my opinion it's impossible to be with someone you have so litle (or nothing) in common. The reason "Lenny" is still on it's because it's not real! it's a tv show! They could match Sheldon with a prostitute and we would have to suck it and deal with it.

I am not sure what TBBT being a fictional TV show has got to with whether Leonard and Penny are a good couple or not. And I am sorry if its so impossible to be with someone you have such little in common with, explain why they have lasted this long? From the begginning it has been clear Leonards the nerd and Penny is the hot girl next door, so it goes without saying on the surface they have nothing in common, but that just hits the surface, sometimes the best relationships are not the ones who have the most in common but the ones who differences compliment each other, I mean look at Barney and Robin they have alot in common but that does not neccessarily mean they should work as a couple, as Barney would say too much awesome cancels each other out. I mean if that was the case that people should only be in relationships as long as they have single aspect of their life in common, what do you mean you think HIMYM is better then Friends its over! haha then relationships wouldent last as a second. Saying oh the reason they are together because it's in the script lol, based on your logic Penny and Howard have incredible chemistry, writing is no subsitiute for chemistry.

Edited by 3ku11

I don't think every poster is. I know I'm not. Because they're not real.

I'm fond of Leonard and Penny and I watched them suffer, differently, in s4. I cared about the suffering and wanted it to get better for them but the story was interesting and went in unexpected directions for this usually limp format.

i am protective of them, where someone tries to misrepresent what i believe them to be depicted as. I knew they weren't real, but I still was engaged. So the reality test doesn't make the distinction you might be suggesting. For me.

on the surface they have nothing in common, but that just hits the surface

Things in common it's not "the surface", they are the core of a relationship. I'll tell you what the surface is - it's the looks - and that ain't in the favor of Leonard/Penny either, heh.

Anyway, all you said is your opinion. I don't agree with your views on a relationship.

Things in common it's not "the surface", they are the core of a relationship. I'll tell you what the surface is - it's the looks - and that ain't in the favor of Leonard/Penny either, heh.

Anyway, all you said is your opinion. I don't agree with your views on a relationship.

It's not my views on relationships, just stating the facts thats my point on the surface looks, commanlarities these are things Leonard and Penny don't share, but my point is they work because of those differences compliment each other, and some times things just work that cannot be explained, but you have your opinion so guess we well just have to agree to disagree.

I think that what they've done with Leonard and Penny is to find what it is that draws them together.  It's not about having common interests or being equally physically attractive.  Both of those aspects are helpful in relationships, but neither of those things guarantees a good relationship.

Penny had plenty of relationships with guys who were better-looking than Leonard and the point in the storytelling is that that wasn't enough for her.  This has been true since the beginning of time--beauty is only skin deep and what do you do once the good looks fade?  Go looking for someone else with better looks?

I think that the story they have been telling with L&P, and to a degree with each of the others, is that when you look beyond the surface aspects you find things you like even more, that mean more than good looks and common interests.  Leonard has been a helpful friend to Penny from the day she moved in.  Now, while he was first attracted to her physically, he was principled enough not to take advantage of her when her guard was down.  And as she started hanging out with the guys, she realized they were more than the sum of their nerdy parts.

I think they've done a good job in establishing that she's attracted to Leonard because of his personality, not because she cares about comics or sci-fi or science, and he's found that even when he had other girlfriends, he still wanted Penny more--not just because she's attractive, but because he also has gotten to know her and who she really is beyond the good looks.

I've known people in real life who seem "mismatched" on the surface, but what has held them together is all the stuff underneath.  I think they've done a good job showing that development between L&P, if you actually pay attention.

he still wanted Penny more--not just because she's attractive, but because he also has gotten to know her and who she really is beyond the good looks.

Care to give examples? because this is exactly the problem with Penny: she has nothing beyond "the looks". You put her looks away and bam! she's just a really dumb waitress. There's basically nothing about her. Au contraire, she's pretty much all Leonard wouldn't want. That leads me to a really disappointed conclusion: Leonard has extremely low standards.

Not to mention Penny's arrogance when Leonard asks, "what if I dump you?", and she replies something like "c'mon, be serious!". Yeah... sorry but her nose is way too high for someone who has such a fail career/future/whatever.

In my opinion, Leonard deserves much better than that Penny failure. If the writers don't give her some brain/skills anytime soon, ugh.. she's never going to leave the bottom of my character list.

Care to give examples? because this is exactly the problem with Penny: she has nothing beyond "the looks". You put her looks away and bam! she's just a really dumb waitress. There's basically nothing about her. Au contraire, she's pretty much all Leonard wouldn't want. That leads me to a really disappointed conclusion: Leonard has extremely low standards.

Not to mention Penny's arrogance when Leonard asks, "what if I dump you?", and she replies something like "c'mon, be serious!". Yeah... sorry but her nose is way too high for someone who has such a fail career/future/whatever.

In my opinion, Leonard deserves much better than that Penny failure. If the writers don't give her some brain/skills anytime soon, ugh.. she's never going to leave the bottom of my character list.

She is thoughtful with the guys, she helps them with their personal problems because she has social skills and life experiences that they lack.  She's often a caring go-between for each of them, even for Leonard when he was dating other women.

Her joking about him dumping her is pretty justifiable because she knows that he's always had a crush on her--and one could argue that that was his idea of what she would say, because that was during his "flash forward" when he was imagining how things might play out if she agreed to go out with him again.

She's always been a friend to him, whether or not they were dating.

She's not really a failure--she's a typical aspiring actress.  She's never going to be Meryl Streep, that's not the story they're telling, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have something to offer Leonard--acceptance and love.  She loves him for who he is, not because he's handsome or sexy, which he is not (compared to the kinds of guys she used to date) and in many ways they're on an even footing, when it comes to their personal lives.  He may be smarter, but in relationships he's no more successful than she is.  She's more experienced, but until she met him, she didn't know what she was missing.

And really, she's not dumb.  She has learned a lot just from hanging out with the guys.  She's just uneducated and not a scholar.  That doesn't mean she's dumb.

• Like 2

It's an interesting question. How to do you write a show with a premise about two mismatched lovers without the mismatched lovers? The counter proposition has had a run too, how do two identical, seemingly perfectly matched types, get on. That's been problematic as well . And given that you allow Penny exists and Leonard exists, your problem is more with Leonard, for dissatisfying you with his choice. Penny is what she is and Leonard has made a well informed (after 6years) selection.

It will be intriguing if Leonard has to defend Penny in the show to other than Sheldon. He folded when Prof Proton challenged him. He needed to "grow some" there, as Proton was being a rude jerk in the other man's home about the other man's partner. There is a source of potential tension for the future if he doesn't stand up for her against less fragile opponents.

It will be intriguing if Leonard has to defend Penny in the show to other than Sheldon. He folded when Prof Proton challenged him. He needed to "grow some" there, as Proton was being a rude jerk in the other man's home about the other man's partner. There is a source of potential tension for the future if he doesn't stand up for her against less fragile opponents.

Oh You mean like Penny talking bad about Leonard with Priya? Or how about Amy?  Or how about Bernie, in which she shared with Howard? Why did Leonard need to defend Penny when we all know that Penny talked bad about Leonard with her friends.  She knows that Howard and other loves to repeat things she says about him. So does this mean she needs to grow up and stop discussing private matters about her and Leonard love life?

One instant Leonard doesn't say anything  and some go on and on and on about it.  How many times have Leonard be the butt end of the joke that Penny spout off?  I guess that is okay, afterall it's only Leonard.

Edited by ArmyGirl

Oh You mean like Penny talking bad about Leonard with Priya? Or how about Amy? Or how about Bernie, in which she shared with Howard? Why did Leonard need to defend Penny when we all know that Penny talked bad about Leonard with her friends. She knows that Howard and other loves to repeat things she says about him. So does this mean she needs to grow up and stop discussing private matters about her and Leonard love life?

One instant Leonard doesn't say anything and some go on and on and on about it. How many times have Leonard be the butt end of the joke that Penny spout off? I guess that is okay, afterall it's only Leonard.

yeah, but Leonard is really a highly successful and competent person who has a firm grasp on where he is and what he does. He is kind of unassailable with regard to intelligence and ability. He also has a fairly well materially endowed upbringing. I've seen pictures of Princeton.

Some of the attacks on Penny are because of class. And Penny wasn't dating Leonard then. If she doesn't stand up for her man NOW I might think differently.

yeah, but Leonard is really a highly successful and competent person who has a firm grasp on where he is and what he does. He is kind of unassailable with regard to intelligence and ability. He also has a fairly well materially endowed upbringing. I've seen pictures of Princeton.

Some of the attacks on Penny are because of class. And Penny wasn't dating Leonard then. If she doesn't stand up for her man NOW I might think differently.

See once again you found an excuse for Penny.  All these characters have their moments and I find it sad that Leonard is always held to a different standard.

So what did you want Leonard to say and do?  The guy is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't!

I am not sure why people are still harping  on Penny saying that he should get serious when he said "what if he left her"?  I seem to remember in season 6 when he was unahppy with her on Valentine's day she seemed very worried when she asked him if he was breaking up with her.   The characters and their relationships are not stagnent.   They have changed with time. 

I am not sure why people are still harping  on Penny saying that he should get serious when he said "what if he left her"?  I seem to remember in season 6 when he was unahppy with her on Valentine's day she seemed very worried when she asked him if he was breaking up with her.   The characters and their relationships are not stagnent.   They have changed with time. 

Very true and Penny was also jealous of Alex and even of that chick who moved in upstairs.  I think it was good for the relationship that Penny started to feel less secure to a degree...

• Like 1