The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.01 "the Hofstadter Insufficiency" (September 26)

Your Episode Rating  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I just saw both the actual episode and it was pretty good.  I did not see anything OOC for any of the characters.

that hug was so awkward. I see Shenny fans saying we are lying when we say that but it's true. It was really awkward.

Of course it was awkward, Sheldon and Penny's hugs are always awkward, Penny is a hugger Sheldon is not, he has human contact issues and touching issues haha. Every one of Sheldon and Penny's hugs have derived from Leonard if you think about it, Season 3 Leonard wanted to take Penny to switzerland, Penny eventually caved into Sheldon, then he hugged her, Bath Item Gift when Sheldon hugged Penny due to the social convention, Penny was like "Look Leonard Sheldon's hugging me!". The hug with Sheldon for Sheldon anyway was just wrong place, wrong time lol, woulden't even call it a hug, maybe a quarter hug.

• Like 2

It was really sweet seeing Penny missing Leonard. It's great that Leonard has had a great time on the expedition especially for his career.

Nick, It's so obvious that S/P is a brother/sister relationship in this show and these first 2 episodes only confirm it. Let them live in their own world because it will never happen in this one.

• Like 3

Just watched 7.01 and 7.02 awesome! Their is something distinctively different about TBBT this season, cannot put my finger on it but it feels more refined this season. Sheldon and Penny bonding was no big deal lol, it felt like a brother sister bonding kinda thing, Penny clearly missed Leonard alot, and while Sheldon woulden't admit it he clearly did too. The whole shower scene was quick and at the end of the episode, Leonard was just showing off his hot girlfriend good on him. Lenny reunion was good too, the first two eps really good, and just to think 3 and 4 get's better and better, TBBT is at it's best right now.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Bernie and Amy together. I hope we get to see them more often or at least do/talk more biology stuff together.

• Like 2

Enjoyed both episodes. Thought the second one was slightly better IMO. Penny and Sheldon were good together as usual. In a way Sheldon missing Leonard made Penny miss Leonard more. Got a kick out of Amy and Bernie. Bernie probably overstepped by suggesing Amy hook up with one of the guys at the bar. Amy put her in the place. Thought it was funny that Bernie was attracted to someone Sheldon like and Amy Howard like. The Raj/Howard was a bit of a filler for me. I understand that since he can talk to women things are still not going be easier. For me though it was okay. The Penny video was no big deal.

Edited by Chrismo

I liked the Bernie/Amy interaction the best in the first episode.  I felt Regina's comeback was rather wasteful.   They can't seem to come up with something good for her.  She is good at delivery, but her role is poorly written.   I think Howard/Raj were far funnier (although disturbing as well) in the second episode than the first.   Overall some funny parts, but I think better episodes are ahead of us.

Loved both episodes!!

I thought it was consistently funny--through both eps.  I did like the thing with Regina King, and I wonder if they're setting up something for later on.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree their were funny part's but I gotta say I was laughing through out all episodes, the funniest part from Raj/Howard good too see them in scenes again. I think IMO Season 7 is a MUCH  better start then Season 6, has more momentum this time around and they have the balance right and is alot more consistent from scene to scene. I also think Amy is showing more of a back bone with Sheldon, where as last year she was compromising herself for the sake of their relationship.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

I'm going to comment on each episode separately, because otherwise it will be a huge post. Right, well here's what I thought about the first episode from an unspoiled viewpoint: 

I really like the shorter haircuts for both Howard and Raj, it makes them look more mature and attractive. I loved Howard stabbing the pie. It was great, and violent, and beautiful. Sheldon stating that he wanted Raj to be happy was also a nice surprise, it was really nice to hear. 

Though my first negative would be that Amy's wardrobe is looking extra baggy in this first episode. I know Mayim has slimmed down, so the extra effort to keep her lumpy is really apparent. (Though a big yay for less tights). Also not surprised that Raj is an ass even though he can speak now. It's actually about what I expected. 

I do like the fact that Leonard was having so much fun at sea and didn't seem to miss Sheldon and Penny, it was a nice change from the normal. He needed to have some fun. Oh yes, and I also missed sassy Amy a lot! The bedbug conversation, and the "And your husband is extremely Howard" moments cracked me up.

Sheldon also telling Penny that his feelings were hurt = surprising. But I really enjoyed it. It's a great start with his character this season, which is a nice development from S6. 

Overall I enjoyed it. :) 

• Like 5

Of course it was awkward, Sheldon and Penny's hugs are always awkward, Penny is a hugger Sheldon is not, he has human contact issues and touching issues haha. Every one of Sheldon and Penny's hugs have derived from Leonard if you think about it, Season 3 Leonard wanted to take Penny to switzerland, Penny eventually caved into Sheldon, then he hugged her, Bath Item Gift when Sheldon hugged Penny due to the social convention, Penny was like "Look Leonard Sheldon's hugging me!". The hug with Sheldon for Sheldon anyway was just wrong place, wrong time lol, woulden't even call it a hug, maybe a quarter hug.

This is the third time you’ve mentioned this…It’s a very peculiar interpretation.

In no universe does the Bath Item hug have anything at all to do with Leonard. A third person was necessary for the confirmation of the unusualness of the scene, and to allow Penny a humorous way to announce it. “Sheldon’s HUGGING me!” Ie, how bloody bizarre. Howard or Raj would have done equally well for comic purposes. Leonard is the best choice though, as he's close to Sheldon, and can appreciate the moment.

And Sheldon did not hug Penny because of social convention. It was because it was the greatest thing he could conceive of to offer, to counter the napkin. He loathes human contact, so it was his greatest sacrifice. Short of licking her face or something. Its placing is also the climax of the plot of Sheldon's efforts to find an appropriate gift for Penny. Nothing to do with Leonard.

As for Switzerland…Leonard might as well have BEEN in Switzerland for all that hug had to do with him. Sheldon was overwhelmed with gratitude, and acted in a vaguely human way, for once. Ie, unpremeditated. That's all.

You’ve got your romance, mate, how about not tainting the friendships on the show as well, by reducing them to tugboats latched solely to your Ship. It feels a little mean-spirited.

All Sheldon hugs are awkward. It's Sheldon.

Concerning this episode, was there any more of the Kraken dream sequence than we saw in the promo? Or external boat scenes? I should just wait I suppose…Sigh...

• Like 1

This is the third time you’ve mentioned this…It’s a very peculiar interpretation.

In no universe does the Bath Item hug have anything at all to do with Leonard. A third person was necessary for the confirmation of the unusualness of the scene, and to allow Penny a humorous way to announce it. “Sheldon’s HUGGING me!” Ie, how bloody bizarre. Howard or Raj would have done equally well for comic purposes. Leonard is the best choice though, as he's close to Sheldon, and can appreciate the moment.

And Sheldon did not hug Penny because of social convention. It was because it was the greatest thing he could conceive of to offer, to counter the napkin. He loathes human contact, so it was his greatest sacrifice. Short of licking her face or something. Its placing is also the climax of the plot of Sheldon's efforts to find an appropriate gift for Penny. Nothing to do with Leonard.

As for Switzerland…Leonard might as well have BEEN in Switzerland for all that hug had to do with him. Sheldon was overwhelmed with gratitude, and acted in a vaguely human way, for once. Ie, unpremeditated. That's all.

You’ve got your romance, mate, how about not tainting the friendships on the show as well, by reducing them to tugboats latched solely to your Ship. It feels a little mean-spirited.

All Sheldon hugs are awkward. It's Sheldon.

Concerning this episode, was there any more of the Kraken dream sequence than we saw in the promo? Or external boat scenes? I should just wait I suppose…Sigh...

Well it's not my romance so I don't know where your getting this idea I am tainting their friendship lol I forgot that all Sheldon and Penny discussion should be reserved for the fanfic section woops Penny and Sheldon's shippers thread ;) I don't think I once said their friendship was bad or indifferent in anyway, all I said it  is interesting to note every one of their hugs directly or indirectly featured Leonard. When it comes to Bath Item I never said the hug had anything to do with Leonard, I said Penny was looking at Leonard when the hug happened, as you said "Look Leonard Sheldon is hugging me!" It was a big shock for both of then as Sheldon is not hugging type. And I am confused as to why you think I am undermining the friendships in the show to validate the ships?!?! I don't think I ever went to any specific detail in Sheldon and Penny's friendship, and by saying friendships, your implying I am tainting all the friendships on the show, not sure where your getting that idea from, all I did was mention Sheldon and Penny's hugging and how Leonard is involved too.

I enjoyed the first two episodes - a nice way to open the season - I liked that both were Sheldoncentric after he was mostly left out of the season finale -

Sheldon and Penny bonding, sharing secrets and missing Leonard together was sweet - I really like how their friendship has progressed over the years -

but I couldn't blame Sheldon for being upset at Leonard for not telling Sheldon he was back, as that was a pretty selfish thing to do on Leonard's part - as Sheldon pointed out in the first episode, he does have feelings  - Nice to see the whole gang back together again at the end though - I've missed TBBT :)

• Like 1

The world doesen't revolve around Sheldon beleive it or not lol, I Think Sheldon on this occasion is just going to accept the fact, Penny well always come first.

I enjoyed the first two episodes - a nice way to open the season - I liked that both were Sheldoncentric after he was mostly left out of the season finale -

Sheldon and Penny bonding, sharing secrets and missing Leonard together was sweet - I really like how their friendship has progressed over the years -

but I couldn't blame Sheldon for being upset at Leonard for not telling Sheldon he was back, as that was a pretty selfish thing to do on Leonard's part - as Sheldon pointed out in the first episode, he does have feelings  - Nice to see the whole gang back together again at the end though - I've missed TBBT :)

Wasn't it Sheldon in the backseat of Penny's car in L/P goodbye. Lenny fans would beg to differ that he was mostly left out of the finale.

Leonard was selfish LOL. Sheldon is the king of being selfish..

• Like 4

Yeah after Sheldon's performance in the final car scene in S6 thought he was pretty selfish, especially considering he was pretty jealous of Leonard. Considering how much Leonard has done for Sheldon over the years, I wouldn't consider what Leonard did selfish at all.

Wanting to be alone with your gf after 4 months away is not selfish.

• Like 2

Wasn't it Sheldon in the backseat of Penny's car in L/P goodbye. Lenny fans would beg to differ that he was mostly left out of the finale.

Leonard was selfish LOL. Sheldon is the king of being selfish..

That's what I'm talking about though, Sheldon was in the back seat in the season finale, literally, and made to look foolish - I liked these first two episodes much better.

The world doesen't revolve around Sheldon beleive it or not lol, I Think Sheldon on this occasion is just going to accept the fact, Penny well always come first.

I think Sheldon would disagree - the world does in fact revolve around him :)

• Like 1

I think Sheldon would disagree - the world does in fact revolve around him :)

It may have in the past, but it doesn't anymore.

• Like 1

Sheldon may think he is the center of the universe but it doesn't mean everyone else believe that.  Sheldon is so selfish he wouldn't have let Leonard and Penny have a moment of privacy and I don't blame Leonard for not telling him, he was back.  Leonard is in a relationship with Penny and he has the right to spend a few days alone with her if it's what both Leonard and Penny wanted.

I get so tired of some acting like Leonard must put his needs on hold in order to make Sheldon happy.  Leonard already do more than most people do for Sheldon and it's never enough where Sheldon is concern --- .

As for Season Six having a shortage of Sheldon --- you must have missed Sheldon trying to talk Leonard out of going on the trip, or how about Sheldon at the grocery store with Penny being jealous of Leonard going on the trip, or how about Sheldon fake speech to Leonard during the party for Leonard, or how about Sheldon acting like an idiot in the back seat of Penny's car butting in everyone other second during Leonard and Penny goodbye.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 2

Sheldon may think he is the center of the universe but it doesn't mean everyone else believe that.  Sheldon is so selfish he wouldn't have let Leonard and Penny have a moment of privacy and I don't blame Leonard for not telling he was back.  Leonard is in a relationship with Penny and he has the right to spend a few days alone with her if it's what both Leonard and Penny wanted.

I get so tired of some acting like Leonard must put his needs on hold in order to make Sheldon happy.  Leonard already do more than most people do for Sheldon and it's never enough where Sheldon is concern --- .

As for Season Six having a shortage of Sheldon --- you must have missed Sheldon trying to talk Leonard out of going on the trip, or how about Sheldon at the grocery store with Penny being jealous of Leonard going on the trip, or how about Sheldon fake speech to Leonard during the party for Leonard, or how about Sheldon acting like an idiot in the back seat of Penny's car butting in everyone other second during Leonard and Penny goodbye.

Can I get an Amen?

• Like 2

A very lovely episode. 

Amy and Bernadette fighting for their respective men's honour only to realise they would not mind to "jazz things up" with each other's guy was informative, to say the least : Amy would like some Howard in her Sheldon and Bernadette would appreciate a zest of Sheldon in her Howard. Interesting !

Raj talking to Mrs. Davis was a joy. Not just because Regina is a queen amongst women and actresses but also because we got to see a new side of Raj. He has absolutely no idea what he is doing but he is willing to try and that is remarkable. 

Furthermore, the cafeteria scene in which he confesses missing Lucy and seeing her in every object around him was a lovely touch. Especially Howard's reaction : who knew a pie could attract such intense dislike ? 

As for Penny and Sheldon... Well. They always deliver entertaining scenes and this time was no exception to me. They miss the same person and rely on each other to get through it. Penny trying to get Sheldon to admit he misses his best buddy was particularly delightful. Dr Cooper's list of things Leonard does for him could not be more fatherly if both participants were trying their best : drawing faces with syrup on pieces of toast, fixing recalcitrant zippers on clothes, etc. Dr Hofstadter takes really good care of his taller buddy !

Leonard is really having the time of his life on the boat. His dancing was... Let's call it memorable ! The horror movie scene played out pretty OK : he wants to impress his crewmates and goes for the kill with a film of his girlfriend. His smug face when they started chanting his name was reminiscent of his facial expression in The Cooper/Kripke Inversion, and the shouting "That's my girfriend I swear to God" was a nice, childish touch. 

Those moments of him being incredibly pleased with himself are rare enough for me to want to pat him on the back. 

Very, very good episode ! 

• Like 3

Loved the episode!

my highlights:

- Leonard and the kraken

- Leonard having fun on the boat ( that was so hilarious *LOL*)

- Penny hugging Sheldon

- Penny and Sheldon sharing their secrets (loved hers more *LOL*)

- Amy and Bernadette haning out (Amy was hilarious as she realized that two guys spended them drinks *LOL*) -> they should do this more often

- Raj and Mrs Davis

• Like 1

I am going to try and comment on each episode separately, but having 2 in a row really blurs the lines in my mind. To start with, I have to say that this season (both eps) starts off way better than last season, IMO. It feels like we are back to that feel-good kind of comedy where there are good feelings involved instead of snark and unspoken thoughts of breakups and general jerk-ness. There were some parts in both episodes that felt a bit contrived to me (they could have had a slightly better lead-up to Sheldon and Penny's hug, the moment between Raj and Mrs Davis was a bit cheesy and there was too much tell than show in the last scene with Amy and Bernadette - it was clear who each other picked, there was no need to spell it out for the viewer, it made the ending of that scene a bit awkward). But other than that it really left me with a lot of good feelings.

I think this might be the season where Sheldon has finally embraced the fact that he has emotions and that he is willing to admit that and confront the people around him about that. He does it with Penny in this episode, and with Leonard in the next. I thought the line "I get it, you're just an emotionless robot", that Sheldon replies to with that "I try" and a smirk, might be very indicative of the overall theme with him this season. He admits that he tries to be emotionless but can't help it. I think S5 might have been the season where he discovered he had emotions, S6 the one where he started accepting it, and this might be the one where he starts to embrace it. And, essentially, both the premiere episodes are about this. Him trying to pretend he doesn't miss Leonard, when he does, and finally confronting him about how hurt he is. He is back to being an unintentional jerk, instead of a cold-hearted jerk (even with Raj "I want you to be happy... but not enough to do something about it"). Great stuff.

I love how they handled S/P, I love their friendship and I love that they have learned to appreciate each other. Maybe a few too many Penny-drinking jokes, but I do find it telling that they are kind of pointing out that she's drinking when Leonard is away, sort of like she was drinking when they were broken up. And, in a way, she admits it's a coping mechanism for her. Sheldon uses denial, she uses alcohol.

Bernadette and Amy were great. After all the yelling Bernadette does, it was nice to see her scared of someone for once. I was a nervous wreck when the very first spoilers for this scene came out in interviews during the summer because I was terrified they were going to turn it into an Amy-wants-sex scenario where she hits on men at bars and instead, not only it was the total opposite, but it was even better than the total opposite. I feel like the writers have essentially addressed in one scene some of the criticisms that people usually raise towards Amy: that she only wants sex (no, she doesn't, she was excited that she could drink without having to "give up the goodies") and that she's getting fed up with Sheldon (boy, I had read the taping report but did not expect her to get *that* angry at Bernadette's comments). The fact that she even worded what would, technically, be a compliment ("You're saying I could do better") as something that was an outrageous insult says a lot about where her heart is at. She WAS being hit on, it's not the case that she doesn't have options. She just does not want other options (although I agree with Chiara that both women probably would like their men to be a bit more this or more that). The goodnight phone call was so endearing, but that's a discussion for the Shamy thread.

Howard and Raj. Amazing. I missed their friendship so much that it was wonderful to see them bond again. When Howard stabs Raj's pie I was in fits of laughter. Love how Howard supports Raj in this episode and Raj supports Howard in the next episode. And the scene with Raj and the Asian post-doc at the party was hilarious because that is such a typical awkward interaction at conferences or talks ("My paper has been published in XY"/"Cool, I'll read it"/"..." awkward silence).

And Leonard. It was great to see him be successful and have a good time and be popular in his own environment. I think that scene speaks a lot to me on a personal level too, because it really showed how popularity is very relative and if you're in your "environment" you can become the coolest person in the room. It did seem to me like Leonard was the soul of the party, and even though he was having a good time it did sound like he talked about Penny a lot (love when he got everyone to say hi to her) and the whole movie scenario came across very differently from what it sounded originally. I loved that it was a cheap thriller and that he was showing it to women as well as men, so it wasn't that frat-party scenario many had envisioned.

All in all, really fun episode, full of good feelings. I liked ep 2 better than this one though, although they both left me happy :)

• Like 8

7.1 Felt like a older episode, Sheldon was back to Sheldon of Season 3, Penny delved a little into Penny of Season 5, but only a little thankfully.  I found myself laughing a lot throughout this show, It had the feel of I think it was S1, E 3, when Sheldon got fired and spent a lot of time with Penny.  I think it might have been funny to have seen the guys that bought Bernadette and Amy the drinks.

Edited by Convict13
  • Like 2