The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.01 "the Hofstadter Insufficiency" (September 26)

Your Episode Rating  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

glad the shennys got there warm and fuzzy

hug.

amy/bernie--were great with out penny

• Like 1

Its crazy but i cant seem to find the song leonard is dancing to anywhere. Does anyone know the name of it?

I couldn't even hear it--was it even a real song or just "show music"?

This is true--and that may also be one reason why the show is so popular on TBS and even when they show reruns on CBS--they often outdo other first-run shows in the ratings even when they air a rerun.

I think that people just don't get over the episodes.  They're just as funny the 10th time around as they were the 1st time, or more so.

I know that there have been things I've noticed the 4th or 5th or whatever time I've watched certain episodes.  And even when I can recite the dialog from memory, I'm still laughing at the episodes. :)

I agree but not up to the 10th time.Also, I usually avoid watching the same episode more than once in the same week.

I think its a real song, it was just overshadowed by there chatter. Every song they have played up to this point has been licensed so i doubt they would switch things up now. It sounds like some type oh house/bass vocal song.

I enjoyed the first two episodes - a nice way to open the season - I liked that both were Sheldoncentric after he was mostly left out of the season finale -

Sheldon and Penny bonding, sharing secrets and missing Leonard together was sweet - I really like how their friendship has progressed over the years -

but I couldn't blame Sheldon for being upset at Leonard for not telling Sheldon he was back, as that was a pretty selfish thing to do on Leonard's part - as Sheldon pointed out in the first episode, he does have feelings  - Nice to see the whole gang back together again at the end though - I've missed TBBT :)

I am sorry but I cannot agree with you.  In episode 6.24 Sheldon was not left out. He was in just about every scene, plus you had the scene with just he and Penny at the supermarket shopping for the party and then he was the annoying little brother in the backseat at the airport when Penny is dropping Leonard off at the airport.   

As for Leonard being selfish for not telling Sheldon he was back early, maybe, but I don't think so.  Sheldon is very demanding and if I were in Leonard's shoes, having been gone for four months, I would rather see my girlfriend without interference as opposed to putting up with my high maintenance roommate.  Sheldon may have feelings, but a lot of the time he forgets that others have them as well.

• Like 3

Sheldon may have feelings, but a lot of the time he forgets that others have them as well.

THANK YOU!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As for Leonard being selfish for not telling Sheldon he was back early, maybe, but I don't think so.  Sheldon is very demanding and if I were in Leonard's shoes, having been gone for four months, I would rather see my girlfriend without interference as opposed to putting up with my high maintenance roommate.  Sheldon may have feelings, but a lot of the time he forgets that others have them as well.

This is what I don't get, how some Sheldon fan can only see thing from his side.  Who can't put themselves in Leonard's shoes an understand why he would rather spend some Sheldon free time with Penny.  And yes, Sheldon acts like he is the only one with feelings and he care less most of time what the others feels, wants, and that is why I am glad Leonard put Penny first.

• Like 2

Is anybody really saying it was wrong for Leonard to want to spend time alone with Penny first?

Of course he would and should want to be alone with Penny if he has a chance.

I can understand how Sheldon would be hurt, because he obviously doesn't understand the priority of girlfriend over roommate. That's partly his natural childish self-centered thinking, and partly his sexual naïveté. It's not that he doesn't know about sex, but that it's not a priority for him and so he doesn't see why it would be a priority for others.

If Leonard had come home when he was expected and then wanted to spend a few days with Penny, Sheldon would probably have found a million reasons to interrupt them.

Sheldon's lack of understanding is spelled out right before he barges in when he asks if Leonard had come home early, why would he want to spend his time kissing Penny when he could be hanging out with his best buddy.

Sheldon just doesn't get it, not so much because he doesn't take Leonard's feelings into account as much as he just doesn't understand the priorities.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 2

How was that set up not funny? I don't understand. Where is the comedy in Sheldon being able to understand that Leonard might want to spend time with Penny alone first? I bet you that even when Sheldon has had sex and might probably pick that over Leonard he would still expect Leonard to put him first. Because he is self-centered and that's how it creates comedy. Otherwise how were they going to write the episode? He discovers Leonard has come back and goes "Oh, by all means, I understand. Have fun." - The end? 

• Like 1

Because it's the same thing over and over with Sheldon.  Heck even old dogs can learn new tricks sometimes same can't be said for Sheldon.

• Like 1

Again, it's character traits they exploit for comedy. The point of the show isn't just to show that the characters have "learned" something. That's probably the least of their concern sometimes. The whole episode was riding on that, you take that away, you have nothing. It was like Leonard's insecurity in 6x08. It had been done over and over again but it was necessary to set up the ILY. I think the episode showed that Sheldon has been growing (he acknowledges he has feelings, and if he didn't care about Leonard and watching out for Leonard why on Earth would he care if Penny is cheating on him?) but at the same time he is still Sheldon. I think this episode was way better constructed that the car scene in the season finale last year, to be honest. Lenny did have time to themselves but at the same time they involved Sheldon and Leonard's friendship in the plot. 

• Like 3

Because it's the same thing over and over with Sheldon.  Heck even old dogs can learn new tricks sometimes same can't be said for Sheldon.

That may be true what you said. But as you can see from the conversation above not every looks at things the way you do. I am a Lenny fan like you and I do understand your frustration with Sheldon but I'm quite as anti-Sheldon as you. This is the way Iook at it.

Would Leonard and Penny be together without Sheldon? Let's analyze it.

Pilot episode- Went over with Leonard to meet Penny and went over to get her couch.

1,3- Pointed out to Leonard that she didn't reject him he never asled them out

Tangerine episode- Gave them both the Schroedinger's cat advice

North Pole episode- Told Leonard she can't miss him if he stays.

Spaghetti Catalyst- R/H wouldn't talk to Penny. Sheldon eating dinner with her brought them back together.

Priya- Geneally didn't like her.

6.2- Went into Penny's bedroom and told her not to hurt his friend

While a couple those Sheldon did do for his benefit They seemed to benefit the Lenny.

Again I understand the frustration of Sheldon and he does have a ton of faults that he repeats frequently.

But going back to my original question. Would Leonard and Penny be together without Sheldon?  The answer is no.

I remind myself of that every time I get annoyed by him.

Oh please, that's part if the set-up of the show. And really, none of them has changed all that much, and that's also part of the comedy--we know, more or less, how the characters are going to behave in certain situations. Then the comedy comes from how that comes about or some unexpected twist, etc.

But as koops said, there's no comedy in Sheldon being all understanding and "grown up" about it.

Besides, Leonard didn't really suffer all that much. He still had a couple of days alone with Penny before Sheldon figured it out.

When you see Sheldon all grown-up and understanding you will know you are watching the last episode.

...[snip]

But going back to my original question. Would Leonard and Penny be together without Sheldon?  The answer is no.

I always wondered what kept them together. He is a genius after all!  :laugh:

Just could not help myself.

Edited by djsurrey

That may be true what you said. But as you can see from the conversation above not every looks at things the way you do. I am a Lenny fan like you and I do understand your frustration with Sheldon but I'm quite as anti-Sheldon as you. This is the way Iook at it.

Would Leonard and Penny be together without Sheldon? Let's analyze it.

Pilot episode- Went over with Leonard to meet Penny and went over to get her couch.

1,3- Pointed out to Leonard that she didn't reject him he never asled them out

Tangerine episode- Gave them both the Schroedinger's cat advice

North Pole episode- Told Leonard she can't miss him if he stays.

Spaghetti Catalyst- R/H wouldn't talk to Penny. Sheldon eating dinner with her brought them back together.

Priya- Geneally didn't like her.

6.2- Went into Penny's bedroom and told her not to hurt his friend

While a couple those Sheldon did do for his benefit They seemed to benefit the Lenny.

Again I understand the frustration of Sheldon and he does have a ton of faults that he repeats frequently.

I agree with that but equally Sheldon as also nearly ruined any chance for Leonard and Penny. In 2x01 told Penny basically she is not smart enough for Leonard, this led Leonard to give Penny some college applications, which Penny felt insulted by. So I woulden't go as far and say Leonard and Penny woulden't of last without Sheldon, sure he was a factor he helped in the begginning in terms of deciding whether or not they actually have any romantic chemistry, hence Scheildners Cat Theory. But at the end of the day regardless of other factors or other peoples opinions, it was up to Leonard and Penny whether or not in the long they wanted to be together, as since S3 Leonard and Penny and what they have done have impacted their relationship far greatly then what Sheldon ever did in the origins of Lenny. And actually Leonard was the one to realize that to miss him he would have to leave, Sheldon just brought him to that fact, Sheldon liked Priya better then Penny in terms of relationship compatibility. And actually I don't think Leonard had any problem with Sheldon having dinner with Penny, he actually said he doesen't care it was actually later on in the Laundry Room, where Leonard told Penny I told Sheldon it is ok to have dinner with you. I know we like to think Sheldon's opinion is the most important opinion their is haha, and while I concede Sheldon helped greatly in the begginings of their relationship, and they prob woulden't be together now if it wasen't for Sheldon. At the same time Leonard and Penny are in the relationship, with all the information they have at hand, the only people who can decide if they want to be together was Leonard and Penny no one else.

When you see Sheldon all grown-up and understanding you will know you are watching the last episode.

I always wondered what kept them together. He is a genius after all!  :laugh:

Just could not help myself.

I actually say what kept them together, is this idea that Penny can do better then the usual guy she used to date. While their differences may be skin deep, their sames go straight to the bone. Not sure why you would wonder why they are still together, it's pretty obvious.

Edited by 3ku11

I'm warming up to it a bit. I like Leonard and I like Penny but I abhor on-off-on relationships and I also have a great deal of trouble with sex without commitment in that I believe it is hurtful and harmful. That is one thing that Penny and Leonard have in common I guess (besides they are both being annoyed by Sheldon).

I'm warming up to it a bit. I like Leonard and I like Penny but I abhor on-off-on relationships and I also have a great deal of trouble with sex without commitment in that I believe it is hurtful and harmful. That is one thing that Penny and Leonard have in common I guess (besides they are both being annoyed by Sheldon).

It's only hurtful and harmful if the parties involved don't know what they are getting into, they are both consenting adults I am sure they know the pitfalls of a relationship as different as theirs, they knew their is always a chance they could break up hence the on and off again relationship. They were in a relationship I am sure they know sex is a huge component especially seeing Leonard the nerd getting the hot chick. And I completely disagree they have having sex without commitment as something in common, this was my point before Penny had no obligation to commit to Leonard when she wasen't ready, doesen't make her a bad person she just had to what was right for her. Besides they dated for most of Season 3, and for the most part they were committed to each other, as they have been for the past two seasons. And I think the writers have made it very clear Leonard see's Penny more then just a sex object, but I do get your point but have to agree to disagree.

Edited by 3ku11

I agree with that but equally Sheldon as also nearly ruined any chance for Leonard and Penny. In 2x01 told Penny basically she is not smart enough for Leonard, this led Leonard to give Penny some college applications, which Penny felt insulted by. So I woulden't go as far and say Leonard and Penny woulden't of last without Sheldon, sure he was a factor he helped in the begginning in terms of deciding whether or not they actually have any romantic chemistry, hence Scheildners Cat Theory. But at the end of the day regardless of other factors or other peoples opinions, it was up to Leonard and Penny whether or not in the long they wanted to be together, as since S3 Leonard and Penny and what they have done have impacted their relationship far greatly then what Sheldon ever did in the origins of Lenny. And actually Leonard was the one to realize that to miss him he would have to leave, Sheldon just brought him to that fact, Sheldon liked Priya better then Penny in terms of relationship compatibility. And actually I don't think Leonard had any problem with Sheldon having dinner with Penny, he actually said he doesen't care it was actually later on in the Laundry Room, where Leonard told Penny I told Sheldon it is ok to have dinner with you. I know we like to think Sheldon's opinion is the most important opinion their is haha, and while I concede Sheldon helped greatly in the begginings of their relationship, and they prob woulden't be together now if it wasen't for Sheldon. At the same time Leonard and Penny are in the relationship, with all the information they have at hand, the only people who can decide if they want to be together was Leonard and Penny no one else.

In 2.1 Sheldon gave a honest answer. Leonard knew the situation when he went to Penny's door and then screwed it up himself. After their break  how would they have reconnected? It was easier cause what they had in common was Sheldon. More my point is Sheldon didn't do a typical guy thing and take Leonard's side. The whole thing to me its like a ballgame you can't get to the ninth inning before playing the first eight. Another point is that some people can't always be complaining about Sheldon.

In 2.1 Sheldon gave a honest answer. Leonard knew the situation when he went to Penny's door and then screwed it up himself. After their break  how would they have reconnected? It was easier cause what they had in common was Sheldon. More my point is Sheldon didn't do a typical guy thing and take Leonard's side. The whole thing to me its like a ballgame you can't get to the ninth inning before playing the first eight. Another point is that some people can't always be complaining about Sheldon.

I get your point but I was trying to say regardless of other peope's influences at the end of the day in terms of sustaining a relationship over time, it's up to Leonard and Penny not Sheldon or anyone else. So while I agree to a certain degree Leonard and Penny may not be together today without Sheldon, go back to Season 5 when Leonard asked out Penny in the 100th ep, no one influenced that decision but Leonard. That's my point yes Sheldon had a huge influence in the origins of their relationship, but later on Leonard had a bigger impact on their relationship then Sheldon or anyone else.

Edited by 3ku11

It's only hurtful and harmful if the parties involved don't know what they are getting into, they are both consenting adults I am sure they know the pitfalls of a relationship as different as theirs, they knew their is always a chance they could break up hence the on and off again relationship. They were in a relationship I am sure they know sex is a huge component especially seeing Leonard the nerd getting the hot chick. And I completely disagree they have having sex without commitment as something in common, this was my point before Penny had no obligation to commit to Leonard when she wasen't ready, doesen't make her a bad person she just had to what was right for her. Besides they dated for most of Season 3, and for the most part they were committed to each other, as they have been for the past two seasons. And I think the writers have made it very clear Leonard see's Penny more then just a sex object, but I do get your point but have to agree to disagree.

I agree with you that Leonard is committed to Penny now and every-time they have been an actual couple (and some of the time they were not a couple too). I'm also saying he has had plenty of relationships when things were off with Penny where he was not committed to whoever he happened to be with but was having sex just like Penny has done with him. Perhaps still pinning over Penny at the same time. I also agree that Penny was not under an obligation to commit.

I'm also saying though that I believe consent alone does not make it alright. It might be alright legally. I'm just saying if one cares about the well being of their friend they will avoid bestowing this great gift on an adhock basis for fear of hurting and harming their friend with who they still want a future friendship. I'm making the bold general statement just avoid risking making people vulnerable if your not ready to commit. This sort of idea may not be so popular in contemporary culture but it is something I believe. I'm so sorry to see so many hurt vulnerable wounded people. I would not want to risk doing that to someone.

Does anyone know the name of the song that Leonard danced to? I tried searching some of the lyrics but no match. Shazam couldn't help either. Some of the words were "can you feel rhythm get up the dance floor tell the dj feel" Thanks in advance.

Thank God the show is back on! I missed it so bad. Penny, Penny, Penny.