The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Catweazle

The Human Condition Of General Opinion!

The purpose of this thread is to exchange human opinion without causing reason for it to be closed down. It seems that everytime a thread is given a religious theme it gets the green light to close it. So, although religion may pop up here, this thread is primarily about human opinion on any subject.

Human beings are their own worst enemy. I know that I am my own worst enemy (I hear you agreeing!). The battle is not with the world, the battle is with myself. I fail everyday, and must begin again.... When will I get it right.

Oh, it's not just me..... It's you too.... We are all subject to human failings.

There is truth, and there is opinion.... There is agreement and there is disagreement....

How can we depart from opinion and find truth?

Ok, I'll bite.

The only truth is that there is no truth. People around the world live their lives differently, with different beliefs stemming from different evolutionary environments that lead to different opinions and at some point, the willingness to kill and die to protect their differing lives against each other. There is no such thing as a wrong way to be, but there is definitely a way to live without getting under the skin of those around you by telling them that they are wrong. Just don't do it.

They key to all conflict is the refusal to accept difference.

edit: I'm not sure why that last line is in bold. I didn't type it that way.

Edited by Night Light

Did you have something to say that actually pertains to my premise or is this just another set up of yours to drag me into your world of insults and moot points?

The only truth is that there is no truth.

Everything has a fundamental truth. It is true the the Earth is a sphere. It is not true that the Earth is flat!

People around the world live their lives differently, with different beliefs stemming from different evolutionary environments that lead to different opinions and at some point, the willingness to kill and die to protect their differing lives against each other.

whatever opinion people around the world hold about the general colour of the sky does not change the truth. It's blue.

There is no such thing as a wrong way to be,

Tell that the the people in jail.

Have you contacted the United Nations, they might not know that.

Did you have something to say that actually pertains to my premise or is this just another set up of yours to drag me into your world of insults and moot points?

All you doing here is showing yourself up.

I have not insulted you. If I have show me where.

Please address the comments of posts and not the poster.

I can see you're not a fan of cultural relativism. What constitutes a crime in one society is not necessarily a crime in another, ie a man's right to beat and rape his wife (or wives). In Arab and Asian cultures, this is only now being addressed. Ref: http://freethinker.co.uk/2013/08/29/welcome-to-the-21st-century-saudi-arabia-makes-makes-history-with-a-law-against-beating-women/

There is a term, Weltanschauung: a comprehensive conception or apprehension of the world especially from a specific standpoint (Merriam-Webster) that more simply means one's world view. You perceive right and wrong through the cultural elements you have been indoctrinated into. But that doesn't make you right. Or wrong.

Over history and time human beings have shifted all over the scale of "correct and incorrect" behavior so as to render the terms mush. Is it ok to drink alcohol or not? Is it ok to eats pigs and shellfish or not? Is it ok to dance or not? These are a few examples from American culture. Is it ok to steal from your neighbors? It is absolutely ok, if it's seen as a commercial venture. All around the world people look for ways to make and save money at each other's expense.

Beware, facts don't always equal truth. The sky is only blue if it is a clear day, and only during the day. Otherwise, at night it is black, and can be any of every shade of all colors at any given sunrise or sunset, even green. And only if you are on Earth.

Perspective.

• Like 1

I can see you're not a fan of cultural relativism. What constitutes a crime in one society is not necessarily a crime in another, ie a man's right to beat and rape his wife (or wives). In Arab and Asian cultures, this is only now being addressed. Ref: http://freethinker.co.uk/2013/08/29/welcome-to-the-21st-century-saudi-arabia-makes-makes-history-with-a-law-against-beating-women/

Cultural relativism is irrelvant in the eyes of God. God decides what is a crime and what is not.

There is a term, Weltanschauung: a comprehensive conception or apprehension of the world especially from a specific standpoint (Merriam-Webster) that more simply means one's world view. You perceive right and wrong through the cultural elements you have been indoctrinated into. But that doesn't make you right. Or wrong.

Again irrelevant. What men make has no power beyond what God will allow.

Over history and time human beings have shifted all over the scale of "correct and incorrect" behavior so as to render the terms mush. Is it ok to drink alcohol or not? Is it ok to eats pigs and shellfish or not? Is it ok to dance or not? These are a few examples from American culture. Is it ok to steal from your neighbors? It is absolutely ok, if it's seen as a commercial venture. All around the world people look for ways to make and save money at each other's expense.

Indeed "correct and Incorrect" behavior does and contine a shift of scale. Today what society call progress God calls moral decline. What was one a crime is now celebrated and promoted. The Bible which was once celebrated and promoted is now called hate speech. There is even a verse in the Bible that addresses this state of affairs...

Isaiah 5:20

New King James Version (NKJV)

20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;

Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;

Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

ha, ha. and that, dear catweazle, is why you cannot understand the human condition, above all you're own. you maintain a limited world view full of denial that any other law or god concept could have value. that any culture other than yours could be both functional and proper.

it's all about mortality, friend. and you are in denial of it.  

• Like 1

Beware, facts don't always equal truth. The sky is only blue if it is a clear day, and only during the day. Otherwise, at night it is black, and can be any of every shade of all colors at any given sunrise or sunset, even green. And only if you are on Earth.

Perspective.

Spliting hairs will not change the fact that all things have a fundametal truth. It is a fundamental truth the the sky is blue. There is a funadmental tr

ha, ha. and that, dear catweazle, is why you cannot understand the human condition, above all you're own. you maintain a limited world view full of denial that any other law or god concept could have value. that any culture other than yours could be both functional and proper.

it's all about mortality, friend. and you are in denial of it.  

Please address the comments of the post... Of course you know where it's going so your looking for a way out.

Perspective.

Spliting hairs will not change the fact that all things have a fundamental truth. The sky is bue. It is a fundamental fact that all things have a fundamental truth. Your degee won't change that.

you maintain a limited world view full of denial that any other law or god concept could have value.

Becoming personal will not help your position... It only shows your weakness. Your human pride will only get in the way.

Try to address the points made.... without getting personal, if you can.

The point is, whether you like it or not, that you are a Christian. That's not meant to be a personal address, but a stated fact. You are a Christian who has never considered his Christianity beyond what he has been taught in church. This is why I can go no further with this "debate". It is a waste of time to the uninitiated, or in your case, the immersion indoctrinated.

Appeal to faith is a fallacy. If you cannot remove your faith from this argument then there is no argument.  

There are rules to critical debate and you clearly do not know them. But if you ever get a hankering to poke around a little, I offer you this website:

http://logical-critical-thinking.com/

enjoy.

Edit: When you get done with that, here is a complete list of argumentative fallacies, in alphabetical order, for your learning pleasure.

http://changingminds.org/disciplines/argument/fallacies/fallacies_alpha.htm

Edited by Night Light
  • Like 1

The point is, whether you like it or not, that you are a Christian. That's not meant to be a personal address, but a stated fact. You are a Christian who has never considered his Christianity beyond what he has been taught in church.

How wrong you are. You have made an incorrect assumption. I do not go to church, neither does my religous belief stem from church teachings. What the churches of this world teach and what the Bibles teaches are not the same thing. And that is another example of your failings. Do not become personal, and not not make assumptions. Address what I say not what you think!

Edited by Catweazle

Then don't lie. You believe that there is such a thing as God's law.

limited world view.

done and out.

Again you become personal. You do yourself no favours, all you acheive is to highlight your failings.

You have failed to address the points and have failed to remain civil.

You don't want address the points because you know you can't control your emotions when your position is challenged.

I am prepaired to continue even with your insults... All I will do is point them out to you learn to behave.

Edited by Catweazle

Straight question; if humans didn't exist, would the idea of a God exist? I think humans are unique. I think usually a species fits into, and is regulated by the ecosystem it lives in. We are not, and that's why I believe we are destined not to be limited to this planet, necessity will drive us outward. I think humans are generally a 'good' species. It's just the news,etc concentrates on about 4% of the behaviour. ' Mankind is halfway between the atoms and the stars', I like that quote. I'm not sure it means much, but maybe we are in a unique position to exploit atomic power, and reach other galaxies.  

Straight question; if humans didn't exist, would the idea of a God exist?

Obviouly if humans didn't exist clearly the idea of God would not exist. Human ideas cannot exist without  humans to form them.  Also, Humans don't need to exist for God to exist. Before God created human beings there were no human beings!

The only truth is that there is no truth.

Clearly the above statement is absurd. And that's the thruth!

Everything without exception has a fundamental truth.

Please note: I  said the statement is absurd.... Not the person who made the statement.

That is called addresing the post.... Not the poster!

People around the world live their lives differently, with different beliefs stemming from different evolutionary environments that lead to different opinions and at some point, the willingness to kill and die to protect their differing lives against each other.

Pray tell what has that got to do with fundamental truth? It is itself a fundamental truth that people around the world live their lives differently.

There is no such thing as a wrong way to be

Another absurd statement. Clearly the existence of a justice system proves there is a wrong way to be!

And yet more absurdity. Cleary ALL conflict is not confined to one key.

How many examples would you like me to provide?

You believe that there is such a thing as God's law.

limited world view.

Clearly, belief that there is such a thing as God's law is far from a limited view.

There are many billions of people around the world with that view.... Hense your claim is false.