Is Sheldon The Reason For Big Bang's Fame/galecki Vs Parsons/if Sheldon Wasn't The Breakout Character

Richardepic

sitcoms nowadays are ussually trash, that's why Big Bang Theory's success is so amazing. Sitcoms now are ussually kids shows which I'm fine with if they are smart and don't treat young people as idiots( which is rarely done). But would we have really gotten to see 6-7 seasons if:

Sheldon didn't have his sheldonisms

Leonard remained the main focus of the show instead of Sheldon's character breaking out.

This happened on another TV show of chuck lorre called Two and  a Half Men but Charlie was suppose to be the main character and remained so but you have to think the entire success of Big Bang Theory is all Jim Parsons and Sheldon. EVeryone I know watches it for Sheldon and Johnny Galecki is a great actor, do you think if Leonard's character was the focus would the show had been a success?

Sorry for so many different questions, I'm just always curious about this.

• Like 1

I think the shows a success because of all the characters, yes Sheldon is one of the reasons the show is a big hit, he is like Chandler to Friends, Charlie to Taahm, Barney To Himym. But just like Sheldon none of these characters would be as good as they are if not supported by the other characters, all the characters in BBT compliment each other. TBH I think Leonard is the most important character in the show, every relationship from the pilot formed is because of Leonard, actually without Leonard their would be no BBT IMO.

Exactly. Sheldon is the character that is most out there, but by no means the most important character of the show. I think that Sheldon, Leonard and Penny are because that is were all teh interactions come from, and if it had to be reduced to one, it would be Leonard, because he's teh glue that holds everything together.

I think that part of the reason that Sheldon garnered so much attention right away is that the character really is unique on television.

And, of course, Jim Parsons is brilliant in how he plays him.

Leonard is a great character and Johnny Galecki is a fine actor, but the character is somewhat ordinary in the sense that, although he's deeply nerdy, he's the most "normal" of the group and he's kind of trying to be "normal", get the pretty girl next door, not look like too much of a dork in front of her, a little embarrassed by his own nerdiness (even though he likes what he likes.)

And Penny, of course, is the pretty, normal, sweet girl who falls in with this little group.

But Sheldon is not only nerdy, but nerdy in such a way that it realy stands out--OCD, super-intelligent, self-absorbed, socially inept, brilliant but idiotic at the same time, and not really caring whether or not he fits in.  He doesn't even want to fit in because he considers himself so extraordinary and is proud of that.

He's got so many quirks and such brilliant and incomprehensible responses to everything.  And yet, deep down, he's not really hateful or cruel.

I've watched a lot of TV in my 50+ years and I've never seen such a character.

And the show is just so dang funny.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

sitcoms nowadays are ussually trash, that's why Big Bang Theory's success is so amazing. Sitcoms now are ussually kids shows which I'm fine with if they are smart and don't treat young people as idiots( which is rarely done). But would we have really gotten to see 6-7 seasons if:

Leonard remained the main focus of the show instead of Sheldon's character breaking out.

This happened on another TV show of chuck lorre called Two and  a Half Men but Charlie was suppose to be the main character and remained so but you have to think the entire success of Big Bang Theory is all Jim Parsons and Sheldon. EVeryone I know watches it for Sheldon and Johnny Galecki is a great actor, do you think if Leonard's character was the focus would the show had been a success?

I think different people watch TBBT for different reasons. It would not be the same without any of the main three and it has increased in popularity with the addition of Bernadette and Amy. The combination of characters is great and I think the three that live in the building should all be thought of as co-stars. If there is a leading character it has to be Leonard but it would not be TBBT without Penny and Sheldon too.

I think the entire cast plays off each other very well.

From all appearances the actors like working together and there does not seem to be the Shatner Nimoy jealousy issues that may have helped kill the original Star Trek (lets not feed that kind of nonsense).

Another element of the success is a team of writers who each have their own area of "geek" expertise. It would seem that they have been able to tap into a strong base of support. Also, they avoid alienating this base by getting the geek stuff right.

Edited by djsurrey

I think it has a lot to do with the chemistry of the three main actors. They work well together. I tend to think of Sheldon and Leonard as sort of like the team of Abbot and Costello, who was more important, neither, they both complemented each other. Add Penny and you have this great show.

• Like 2

NO! Not for a second. The show wouldn't have made it past 2 seasons IMHO. Sheldon became the breakout star, as early as mid-season 1. He was sensation from the off.

• Like 2

In the normal setup of sitcoms, the centering character is seldom the breakout star. Leonard is the connecting piece of "The Big Bang Theory", the "reactor" to the insanity around him. The reactor is the audience's gateway into the show's universe.

In the history of sitcoms the reactor is seldom the most memorable character. As some noticed last year, Leonard's role is very similar to Bob Newhart's on his shows.

Sheldon is an extreme archetype because he is there to cause the funny insanity that swirls around Leonard. Sheldon is Barney Fife to Leonard's Andy Taylor, Norton to Ralph, Niles to Frasier Crane, Ted Baxter to Mary Richard, Norm and Cliff to Sam Malone, Kramer  (or George) to Jerry. Or more recently, Barney to Ted Mosby.

The two types of characters serve different purposes. Since the center character's job is to be the guide for the audience in the show's universe, he must be the most normal and likable, the straight man in the comedy process. He reacts to the craziness going on around him in a way that allows the viewers to feel his frustrations and exasperation.  The ying to his yang, a character like Sheldon, is free to be way over the top in his attitudes and actions which causes Leonard so much consternation. That's classic comedy setup going all the way back to Abbot and Costello and Laurel and Hardy.

Can you imagine a "Sheldon Show" without Leonard? Most folks would click that off, citing Sheldon as the most irritating character in TV History.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 8

In the normal setup of sitcoms, the centering character is seldom the breakout star. Leonard is the connecting piece of "The Big Bang Theory", the "reactor" to the insanity around him. The reactor is the audience's gateway into the show's universe.

In the history of sitcoms the reactor is seldom the most memorable character. As some noticed last year, Leonard's role is very similar to Bob Newhart's on his shows.

Sheldon is an extreme archetype because he is there to cause the funny insanity that swirls around Leonard. Sheldon is Barney Fife to Leonard's Andy Taylor, Norton to Ralph, Niles to Frasier Crane, Ted Baxter to Mary Richard, Norm and Cliff to Sam Malone, Kramer  (or George) to Jerry. Or more recently, Barney to Ted Mosby.

The two types of characters serve different purposes. Since the center character's job is to be the guide for the audience in the show's universe, he must be the most normal and likable, the straight man in the comedy process. He reacts to the craziness going on around him in a way that allows the viewers to feel his frustrations and exasperation.  The ying to his yang, a character like Sheldon, is free to be way over the top in his attitudes and actions which causes Leonard so much consternation. That's classic comedy setup going all the way back to Abbot and Costello and Laurel and Hardy.

Can you imagine a "Sheldon Show" without Leonard? Most folks would click that off, siting Sheldon as the most irritating character in TV History.

Nah, you could put that character in any show and he would shine.

Actually, I'll rephrase that, you could put the 'old' Sheldon into any show. This new squeaky annoying Sheldon isn't even entertaining in this one.

Edited by Moonbase

Nah, you could put that character in any show and he would shine.

Actually, I'll rephrase that, you could put the 'old' Sheldon into any show. This new squeaky annoying Sheldon isn't even entertaining in this one.

The technical problem with having a "Sheldon Show" without a Leonard like character is who would be there to setup and react to the jokes about what a weirdo he is? As we saw in season 3's "Staircase Implementation", the old Sheldon was almost in total social isolation. He interacted with virtually no one and those who tried to be his roommates, he drove insane and wanted to kill him. Sheldon was quite content talking to no one.

What would the writers explore about such a character for 6 years? Leonard was the person who was willing to stay around Sheldon (and suffer) and brought in others to be his victims. Without Leonard and the Roommate Agreement, the show would be about a strange man sitting in a lawn chair writing equations in the air.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

I agree with all Phanta's points made here. There's been plenty of nerds on screen over the years, but Sheldon's a whole new type of animal (and what an absolute gift to an actor this character is, thank *(insert chosen deity) for the good fortune that put Jim Parsons in that audition room).

Leonard's straight-man role is also absolutely essential, and he brings such pathos to it (such a beautifully realised portrayal by Johnny Galecki) that it's impossible not to empathise and feel his pain.

I agree, without Sheldon's idiosyncrasy the show would not have reached 7 series, but also that Leonard is the nucleus.

• Like 1

The technical problem with having a "Sheldon Show" without a Leonard like character is who would be there to setup and react to the jokes about what a weirdo he is? As we saw in season 3's "Staircase Implementation", the old Sheldon was almost in total social isolation. He interacted with virtually no one and those who tried to be his roommates, he drove insane and wanted to kill him. Sheldon was quite content talking to no one.

What would the writers explore about such a character for 6 years? Leonard was the person who was willing to stay around Sheldon (and suffer) and brought in others to be his victims. Without Leonard and the Roommate Agreement, the show would be about a strange man sitting in a lawn chair writing equations in the air.

Yeah, I get what you are saying but even in 'the Sheldon show' you'd have to have other characters for him to baffle and annoy. So you could essentially create any number of Leonard's. I just think Jim as Sheldon gave the show the X factor and why it's been extra successful. But Leonard, Sheldon and Penny are equally important to the balance of the show.

Yeah, I get what you are saying but even in 'the Sheldon show' you'd have to have other characters for him to baffle and annoy. So you could essentially create any number of Leonard's. I just think Jim as Sheldon gave the show the X factor and why it's been extra successful. But Leonard, Sheldon and Penny are equally important to the balance of the show.

Agreed. As long as there is a Leonard-like character who would bring in people for Sheldon to annoy the character works.

Jim Parson does such a great job of making Sheldon so unique with his physical acting and line delivery, he can almost make you believe that the character could actually exist. But Johnny's role as straight man is key to making Sheldon work.

Agreed. As long as there is a Leonard-like character who would bring in people for Sheldon to annoy the character works.

Jim Parson does such a great job of making Sheldon so unique with his physical acting and line delivery, he can almost make you believe that the character could actually exist. But Johnny's role as straight man is key to making Sheldon work.

Many new shows don't last more than a season. Sometimes not that long. I doubt this show would have lasted to the end of the 1st season without the Penny Character and Leonard pinning over Penny. I suggest in that first season people would have come across this show while channel surfing and stopped to have a look because they saw Kaley Cuoco and wondered what she is up to after "8 simple Rules".

Let's face it, Jim Parson's is actually very funny but it takes more than 10 seconds to realize that. Some times 10 seconds is about all a person gives a new program. Kaley Cuoco can attract some attention in an instant.

The show would not work without Leonard. There would be no reason for Penny and Sheldon to ever interact. As a bare minimum this show needed Leonard (the hub of everything else), Penny (kind of essential to promote the show) and Sheldon (very funny).

• Like 2

When Chuck and Bill started this THING ... they did not realise that the Sheldon Character would be as great as he is  .....

Jim turned their words into reality  and created what we see on the screen today and became this insanely popular person ....

That brings us to today 7 years later we have a married couple H/B, L/P  ( who are in LOVE and trying to find their way together) a single guy still looking to find some one and a QUIRKY couple  Sheldon and Amy.

and the story continues ......

Let's be honest as great as Sheldon is, the premise of the show is Leoanrd inviting Penny to lunch, without Leonard the social nucleus of the show none of the relationship's we see today would be formed, Sheldon would of never met Amy, Howard would of never married Bernadette, and Penny and Sheldon most likely woulden't be friends. All Im saying is Sheldon need's the other characters to play off, all the characters compliment each other. So the answer to is Sheldon the reason for BBT fame, I'll say No so are Leonard and Penny JMO.

Many new shows don't last more than a season. Sometimes not that long. I doubt this show would have lasted to the end of the 1st season without the Penny Character and Leonard pinning over Penny. I suggest in that first season people would have come across this show while channel surfing and stopped to have a look because they saw Kaley Cuoco and wondered what she is up to after "8 simple Rules".

Let's face it, Jim Parson's is actually very funny but it takes more than 10 seconds to realize that. Some times 10 seconds is about all a person gives a new program. Kaley Cuoco can attract some attention in an instant.

The show would not work without Leonard. There would be no reason for Penny and Sheldon to ever interact. As a bare minimum this show needed Leonard (the hub of everything else), Penny (kind of essential to promote the show) and Sheldon (very funny).

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think people are that thickle lol, "Penny hot I like", "Oh Leonard finds Sheldon annoying so I do too". Like I said I beleive all the characters are essential, it just woulden't work without all the characters so Sheldon can play off them, it's like Taahm it just doesen't work now because Charlie is not their for the characters to play off him.

Edited by 3ku11

Yes but I don't think the question was, 'is Leonard important?' of course he is. The question was, did Sheldon make this show successful and the stats prove he did. Jim Parson was the key to this shows meteoric rise to the top. He was a happy accident which proved to be the shows greatest asset IMHO.

It's just a shame the writers don't have the skill to evolve him while retaining his innocent likeability. They just can't seem to do it. So they regress him instead and he's a bit of a dick now. I'm not sure S7 is even going to be watchable for me. I'm not a shipper and tune in for the friendships and the laughs and for this once brilliant character.

Yes but I don't think the question was, 'is Leonard important?' of course he is. The question was, did Sheldon make this show successful and the stats prove he did. Jim Parson was the key to this shows meteoric rise to the top. He was a happy accident which proved to be the shows greatest asset IMHO.

It's just a shame the writers don't have the skill to evolve him while retaining his innocent likeability. They just can't seem to do it. So they regress him instead and he's a bit of a dick now. I'm not sure S7 is even going to be watchable for me. I'm not a shipper and tune in for the friendships and the laughs and for this once brilliant character.

Funny that I don't actually see that he has changed very much at all. He was always selfish and annoying. I think part of the difference in opinion here comes from the fact I don't see it as useful to try to figure out who is the most important to the shows success. Perhaps some of the funniest scenes occurred when Sheldon was asked to keep a secret. Jim Parson did the face twitch so well. Also, the scenes where Penny knew something he did not know.

The only way to keep the show fresh is to evolve the situation the characters are in. I think that for every person that does not like having Amy on the show there are many more who do like it. Characters like Sheldon (and the original Spock) seem to attract a following of female fans.  Apparently some liked to imagine reaching Spock's human side. I'm guessing the same thing is going on with Sheldon who starts off being repulsed by any sort of physical contact. Some women are going to want to imagine they could change him. The Amy character plays into that. So far Sheldon has changed very little. The situation has changed.

Let's be honest as great as Sheldon is, the premise of the show is Leoanrd inviting Penny to lunch, without Leonard the social nucleus of the show none of the relationship's we see today would be formed, Sheldon would of never met Amy, Howard would of never married Bernadette, and Penny and Sheldon most likely woulden't be friends. All Im saying is Sheldon need's the other characters to play off, all the characters compliment each other. So the answer to is Sheldon the reason for BBT fame, I'll say No so are Leonard and Penny JMO.

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think people are that thickle lol, "Penny hot I like", "Oh Leonard finds Sheldon annoying so I do too". Like I said I beleive all the characters are essential, it just woulden't work without all the characters so Sheldon can play off them, it's like Taahm it just doesen't work now because Charlie is not their for the characters to play off him.

thickle? I had to look that up.

I'm not saying so much "Penny hot I like". I'm saying "look it is  Kaley Cuoco, so what is this all about". Even if people did not know her name they would have recognized her as the girl from "8 Simple Rules". No doubt her looks gave some reason to pause while changing channels too. When people have 50+ stations they don't necessarily give a new show much of a look. Those of us that would tune in because the show features nerdy physicists are a lot less common.

Nor am I denying that once people have actually tuned in there has to be something to keep them watching.

Perhaps I should have also said all of these actors have good comedic talent (including Kaley), not just Jim Parson.

Edited by djsurrey