The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gwhh

How Would You "man Up" The Guys In This Show?

I know the guys are suppose to be geeky. But at some point you got to "man up and get tough" I am tired of Penny & Bernie beating up the boys enemies and problems.

How would you makes the "boys" turn into men?

I say we send them a survival course run by a group of crazed ex special forces guys and they come back hard as nails.

Edited by gwhh

I totally agree Tensor, however it could make for a great episode if they all decided to try doing something like a survival course to 'man up'. They would have to fail miserably of course, but that is what would make it great.

• Like 1

ITA, Tensor.  The guys are wonderful as they are.  They're adults who are (mostly) responsible, which is manly enough.  They don't need to fit some cultural expectation of masculinity.  It's hilarious to watch them try, though. 

• Like 3

I totally agree Tensor, however it could make for a great episode if they all decided to try doing something like a survival course to 'man up'. They would have to fail miserably of course, but that is what would make it great.

Lol, I can't see Leonard trying something like that after his epic fail with the elliptical trainer last year in TTT.

• Like 1

The guys don't need to "man up". If you're looking for "manly" men, you should go watch a different show.

To be specific, one of Chuck's other shows, Two and a Half Men. The lyrics to the theme song of that show:

"Men men men men, manly men men men!"

repeat as needed.

• Like 1

Ironically the episode was on when Penny was watching football with her friends and the guys were kite flying. Not having anymore shows like that would help.

To be specific, one of Chuck's other shows, Two and a Half Men. The lyrics to the theme song of that show:

"Men men men men, manly men men men!"

repeat as needed.

Ironically Charlie and Alan are men who act like children ;) I was a big fan of Taahm up to Charlie being killied off so not having a go just saying haha. 

Ironically the episode was on when Penny was watching football with her friends and the guys were kite flying. Not having anymore shows like that would help.

But that's the kind of guys they are. That's kind of the point.

• Like 2

Howard's astronaut survival training. They all would have had training for the Arctic too. They just didn't show,Raj snuggling with Huskies.

• Like 2

You mean like Penny's ex Kurt? He seems to fit your description of someone who has manned up, but Penny left him because he was cheating and a jerk. Maybe Penny doesn't want a guy like that.

Is there something wrong with a guy being sensitive and caring and not confrontational? And if guy isn't suited by temperament, to being confrontational and their partner is, what exactly is wrong with the woman dealing with it? Or, are you saying woman shouldn't do things like that?

I say we leave them just as they are and ignore the idea that guys have to act like some Neandertal.

Couldn't have said better Tensor.

Man up? Howard ate a butterfly? I can't face that again.

The fact is that many men can go thru life without getting into he-man confrontations. The guys (well, except Raj) have no trouble standing up for themselves in career matters, customer service issues, in their personal relationships (mostly), they aren't wimps. And now that Raj doesn't need a bottle of low carb beer in his hand to talk to half the world's population, he might become more assertive.

Also, they are men in their 30's, I mean at this point in a man's life, manning up usually means having babies or home improvement projects. I don't want to watch that show with these characters.

Also, they are men in their 30's, I mean at this point in a man's life, manning up usually means having babies or home improvement projects. I don't want to watch that show with these characters.

I dunno, an episode about the guys trying to do a kitchen remodel could be really funny. Just look at what happened when they tried to put together an entertainment center in 1x02.

• Like 1

I like them all the way they are. It would be a potential source of humor to see them take a self defense, or survival course.

What I would like to see is a scenario where they have to face some sort of bully and they, for once, triumph. Every time TBBT puts them into a confrontation with a bully, the bully wins. The only exception was when Penny kicked Todd Zarnecki in the balls. If she hadn't done that then the bully would have won again. For a show that from it's inception proclaimed it wanted to celebrate these characters, their minds, and their unique characteristics, they repeatedly put them back into the nerds/geeks falling victim to bullies situation. Let them win every once in a while. That would be a refreshing change.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2

I dunno, an episode about the guys trying to do a kitchen remodel could be really funny. Just look at what happened when they tried to put together an entertainment center in 1x02.

I'll grant you that would be hilarious. I'd like them to succeed, but have it be almost too advanced to use. Like put in an induction cook top, but now the pans are useless because induction cooking uses magnets. And a fridge with internet access and something called smart water technology.

My hubby got a work bonus so he decided to celebrate by making sure I fear my kitchen. I am hoping I learn to cook on this crap before thanksgiving.

Maybe they could completely automate Howard and Bernadette's apartment and then have her get a nervous disorder because the TV keeps turning on and the lights keep turning off even though no else is home...

But no babies.

Edited by Chaliceinnana
  • Like 3

They all still have their inner child .... they will make great fathers taking the kids to comic con, playing games and having a blast with their kids .... what more of a man do you want  ..... They respect their partners ...

• Like 2

Man up? Howard ate a butterfly? I can't face that again.

The fact is that many men can go thru life without getting into he-man confrontations. The guys (well, except Raj) have no trouble standing up for themselves in career matters, customer service issues, in their personal relationships (mostly), they aren't wimps. And now that Raj doesn't need a bottle of low carb beer in his hand to talk to half the world's population, he might become more assertive.

I'm sure what you mean is they stick around with their wives to work as a team supporting and raising a family. This is what it means to man up. All the interrupted sleep, diaper changes, crying, emotional outbursts, no more couple time, no more alone time...   ... then later comes all the driving to football, soccer  events, sibling rivalries, parent teacher interviews, helping with homework, visits with extended family...  ....finally they become teenagers with a new round of emotional outbursts, endless discussions... ...they just want to be with their friends and would you just stop intruding into their lives...

That's what it is to man up. To do and deal with all that then to bud out until called upon and to stay a good friend and companion for your wife through it all. It really has nothing to do with boot camp!

In my experience nothing changes one's life more than the birth of the first child.

None of the guys in TBBT theory are there yet.

Edited by djsurrey

Nothing wrong with manning up a bit.  It doesn't have to make you insensitive.  I think the guys are ok as they are except for Raj.  I can't imagine a woman seriously considering a guy who goes out on girls' night with the girls.  The girls should ban Raj from girls' night to man him up a bit.

Nothing wrong with manning up a bit.  It doesn't have to make you insensitive.  I think the guys are ok as they are except for Raj.  I can't imagine a woman seriously considering a guy who goes out on girls' night with the girls.  The girls should ban Raj from girls' night to man him up a bit.

Perhaps I should remind you that it was Sheldon who used Amy as a human shield when Howard was a bit ticked off. Thing is Sheldon is not going to respond to any sort of toughen up program.

The biggest problem with Raj is the stuff that comes out of his mouth. He has been either mute or an ass too much of the time. He needs to learn to control what he says without becoming mute. There is nothing wrong with him hanging with the girls sometimes. He needs to think of women as people and not as objects. It might help to hang with them a bit. Lucy liked his effeminate side by the way. Diversity is not bad.