The Mendacity Revelation

Pemberley

I need some help, some advice if you will. Someone has apparently taken The Family Reunion Probability Theorem and translated it to Spanish. Now, they want my permission to post it to FF.net as a translation. I can see this being both a good thing and a bad thing. While I would love more people to be able to enjoy the story (and I certainly don't speak or write Spanish), something about having my story posted by someone else outside of my control bothers the heck out of me. Plus, how would I even know if what is translated is what I actually wrote? My instinct is to say no to this.

Your thoughts?

I need some help, some advice if you will. Someone has apparently taken The Family Reunion Probability Theorem and translated it to Spanish. Now, they want my permission to post it to FF.net as a translation. I can see this being both a good thing and a bad thing. While I would love more people to be able to enjoy the story (and I certainly don't speak or write Spanish), something about having my story posted by someone else outside of my control bothers the heck out of me. Plus, how would I even know if what is translated is what I actually wrote? My instinct is to say no to this.

Your thoughts?

I'd follow your instincts.

• Like 2

Your thoughts?

I guess the person should have asked your permission to translate it, and not just do it and then ask you if they can post it. I would not allow it if I were you. But be nice, maybe the person has good intentions and will just let you post it with a "thanks" (giving her the credit for the translation) 

Edited by karyshamy
  • Like 1

Thanks for your advice. Here is how I have responded:

Thank you for reaching out to me on this. I have spent all day thinking about your request. First off, I want to thank you for your compliments and your intention of bringing my story to those who might not be able to read it otherwise. If I could write Spanish, I would do this myself. I am quite impressed that you were willing and able to do so very quickly. Well done.

With all this being said, I am not sure I feel comfortable with this. As a writer yourself, I am sure you can understand my trepidation. Having a stranger who is wholly unconnected to myself or my writing taking my story (my baby) and posting it under their name (even if it is just a word-for-word translation) leaves me upset. So, I must deny your kind request. I will, however, offer the following compromise. If you can send the translations to me, I will post them under my name here. I will, of course, give you full credit and thanks for translating. Will this work?

If this is something you are interested in doing, please let me know. I will send my email address to you, and you can send the chapters to me that way. If not, I understand and would ask that you refrain from posting the chapters yourself.

Thanks for understanding,

Misophonia

Edited by Misophonia
  • Like 1

Thanks for your advice. Here is how I have responded:

Thank you for reaching out to me on this. I have spent all day thinking about your request. First off, I want to thank you for your compliments and your intention of bringing my story to those who might not be able to read it otherwise. If I could write Spanish, I would do this myself. I am quite impressed that you were willing and able to do so very quickly. Well done.

With all this being said, I am not sure I feel comfortable with this. As a writer yourself, I am sure you can understand my trepidation. Having a stranger who is wholly unconnected to myself or my writing taking my story (my baby) and posting it under their name (even if it is just a word-for-word translation) leaves me upset. So, I must deny your kind request. I will, however, offer the following compromise. If you can send the translations to me, I will post them under my name here. I will, of course, give you full credit and thanks for translating. Will this work?

If this is something you are interested in doing, please let me know. I will send my email address to you, and you can send the chapters to me that way. If not, I understand and would ask that you refrain from posting the chapters yourself.

Thanks for understanding,

Misophonia

Good job! I'm sure this person will understand your point of view.

• Like 3

A little tease from Chapter 42:

“Territory,” he repeated. “You belong to me, Amy Farrah Fowler, and I belong to you. I even have it in writing by your own hand. Are you taking it back?”

And, for whomever told me I was pulling in a little bit of the Dr. Who action in earlier chapters, you will find I am actually guilty this time around.

Miso did a little research.

shower.gif

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...