List Your Favourite Stories

rachelshamyfan

Heheheheheheh, if you want to mess with your mind, look up tensor on wiki, as it relates to math. Heheheheheheh.  

That was the most confusing hour of my entire life trying to understand all this equation tensor indicie business and then after that trying to write it into a story. 

Wonder if I can work out my viewer/review ratio… 

I hate to be a stick in the mud here, but just because someone views your story doesn't mean that they liked it.  I once checked out a book that sounded interesting on the inside flap, but once I started reading it, I was only five pages in and decided it wasn't for me.  Sometimes you know early, sometimes you read a little ways and decide you don't like it.

Sorry my brain is just very logical sometimes.  I do agree about the reviews, though.  What bothers me more than the "views" is when someone adds you to their favorite list without one review.  I don't understand it, because if I like something enough to say it's one of my favorites, I make sure to let the author know what I think,  They deserve it, after I enjoyed their story so much.

And I'm still confused as to why people follow a story after a story is complete. 

Edited by BazingaFan
  • Like 3

I hate to be a stick in the mud here, but just because someone views your story doesn't mean that they liked it.  I once checked out a book that sounded interesting on the inside flap, but once I started reading it, I was only five pages in and decided it wasn't for me.  Sometimes you know early, sometimes you read a little ways and decide you don't like it.

In this case, I don't mind a "this stinks" review; what's better is a "this stinks because....." review though.

In this case, I don't mind a "this stinks" review; what's better is a "this stinks because....." review though.

Yes, a constructive review from someone that really is enjoying it and reading is much different.  Sometimes a story is great, but it just isn't right for every person, and that's okay.  In that case, I think it's better to not leave a review, because just because I don't like it, who am I to judge if others are enjoying it?  I've read best selling books that I really dislike.  And then, sometimes I'll read something that I usually wouldn't read, and love it (like the book series you told me about... I'm on book four, by the way!)

Edited by BazingaFan
  • Like 1

Yes, a constructive review from someone that really is enjoying it and reading is much different.  Sometimes a story is great, but it just isn't right for every person, and that's okay.  In that case, I think it's better to not leave a review, because just because I don't like it, who am I to judge if others are enjoying it?  I've read best selling books that I really dislike.  And then, sometimes I'll read something that I usually wouldn't read, and love it (like the book series you told me about... I'm on book four, by the way!)

That's a fair point! Actually, I've never left a "this stinks" review, although I have left reviews where I've given my opinion on what works and what I think doesn't.

So glad you love those books (I gobbled them up in a fortnight if I remember rightly, they are very addictive, and brilliantly written).

I was only just saying we should have a book club on here (although, in fact, this thread kinda sorta is already isn't it)?

That's a fair point! Actually, I've never left a "this stinks" review, although I have left reviews where I've given my opinion on what works and what I think doesn't.

So glad you love those books (I gobbled them up in a fortnight if I remember rightly, they are very addictive, and brilliantly written).

I was only just saying we should have a book club on here (although, in fact, this thread kinda sorta is already isn't it)?

Yes I think we've kind of formed a fanfic club around here, lol.

I was planning to send you another pm when I'm completely done with the books, but yes, her writing might be the best I've ever encountered (in my opinion of course).  Book three was amazing, even though parts of it were very hard to read.  But her writing is so easy and masterful that I needed more to the very end.  And yes, I'm surprised that I like them since the subject matter is so different from what I usually read.

• Like 2

To be fair I am also guilty of following a story and only reviewing every now and again or not at all one case

There are some though where I review every chapter

If I didn't like a story I just wouldn't continue reading, I've seen stories where the author gets slated then they end up trying to justify themselves in the a/n which they don't need to do!

Edited by rachelshamyfan

I'm also very guilty of reading and not reviewing. I've only reviewed on certain stories. It was only after I started writing that I realized how important reviewing was. Though truth be told, even if I don't get that many reviews, just the thought of people following or favoriting my story already puts me on my toes~! I think it's an equivalent of a "Good job!" review :)

• Like 1

Bazinga, all I was doing was figuring out how many views there were compared to reviews. Wasn't anything rigorous.

Sorry my brain is just very logical sometimes.  I do agree about the reviews, though.  What bothers me more than the "views" is when someone adds you to their favorite list without one review.  I don't understand it, because if I like something enough to say it's one of my favorites, I make sure to let the author know what I think,  They deserve it, after I enjoyed their story so much.

One thing I do is, if I get a review or a follow or a favorite from someone I haven't had contact with before, I'll send them a thanks through FF, telling the I appreciate it( and I really do.). I thank the people I have contact with in the forums or during a PM about something else.

And I'm still confused as to why people follow a story after a story is complete.

Yeah, that puzzles me too.
  • Like 3

I truly believe a review is a fan fic writer's compensation. Back when I first started writing fan fic when I was like 15 (12 years ago, yikes!) reviewing went hand-in-hand with writing. Then I took about a ten year sabbatical and I see that the art of feedback has diminished! It was a little discouraging at first but then I joined this forum. And then I started a twitter and a tumblr with where readers follow me and offer me encouragement and feedback, even the ones that don't leave reviews. And then these amazing people started spreading the word of my stories, telling me how they have had their cousins and sisters read my fic. And word of mouth became extremely humbling. I realized even if it's from the same handful of people, knowing that someone out there enjoys it is enough for me.

I didn't mean to throw numbers out there earlier, and I truly am happy with my modest number of reviews, I was just being silly.

Truth is, I wouldn't trade 1,000 reviews for the connections I've made with all of you.

The commitment years is my favorite so far, but I just started the Moving pictures one, that one is also awesome (but very different).

I'll try to start leaving more reviews there too, sorry bout that.

Thank you, Chiany! I hope you continue to enjoy the story! Your feedback is making me light the fire so I can update quicker! ;)     

Edited by tx-fictionqueen
  • Like 3

Yes I think we've kind of formed a fanfic club around here, lol.

I was planning to send you another pm when I'm completely done with the books, but yes, her writing might be the best I've ever encountered (in my opinion of course). 

I did say she reminded me of someone did I not ;)

• Like 1

I didn't mean to throw numbers out there earlier, and I truly am happy with my modest number of reviews, I was just being silly.

Truth is, I wouldn't trade 1,000 reviews for the connections I've made with all of you.

That's good because I think that's how many reviews I owe you, as far behind as I am.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to add my list of favourites to this for ages but i kept on forgetting cos thats just what i do. Anyway here we go, they are in no particular order ill just put them down as i think of them and almost all of them are Leonard and Penny fics. :)

I guess i'll start with 'Hello Kitty' by Terrible Waitress. Because a story where Leonard cheats on Priya with Penny just makes me happy. I would say more about how much i love this story but i dont want her ego to become more inflated than it already is. :) Oh ill add 'The Smart and Beautiful Babies Compliation' as another one of her stories i particularly like. Because reading about Leonard and Penny having two adorable kids is just awesome. She has a bunch of little stories and one shots i enjoy too but id be here all day naming them all!

'The Chew Toy Revelations' by Tensor. Because getting inside Penny's head is always fun.

'The Perfect Proposal Ambition' by Angelic Guardian. Because its Penny proposing to Leonard in a way that could and should be done in the show. Keeping just the right amount of humour and sweetness :) Its awesome.

'Pulchritudinous Wreckage' by HooterSampzon13. Because it is pretty hot, but still brilliantly encaptures the Lenny relationship.

'Shipping Lanes', 'The Teachable Moment Extension'... All of 5mississippi's stories are fantastic. Although i admit i still havent found it in myself to go any further than the first few chapters of 'Ends Beginning' because this girl writes angst so well that im scared to read it through fear of turning into a blubbering wreck. I will at one point though!

'Rules of Engagement' by WeBuiltThePyramids. Because a one shot collection of different ways that Penny could propose to Leonard is just :wub::wub::wub: There are more of hers i like including The Sulphur Juxtaposition, The Good Old College Try and a few other one shot collections, but that one is my favourite :)

'The Sorrowful Sunshine Eventuality' by Hokie3457. Because even though its a sad story its still full of feels. Oh, and 'The New York Revelations' by this guy is good too :)

'The Elliptical Threads' by SlightlyOffKey. I havent even finished this one yet but what ive read of it so far is brilliant and definitely worth a read. Grown up Leonard and Penny <3

'The Maternal Excitation' by HaleyMichelle18. Because I really am a sucker for Lenny having babies stories. Although it hasnt been updated in like a month so *AHEM* if you read this girl, get a move on! haha :) 

Okay i think i have named all that i can think of, although i have probably forgotten a few. There are plenty more that i have read but i think this sums up my favourites. I pretty much read anything and everything by all of these authors i really would be here all day if i tried to think of and name every fic i liked!

Now, there are a couple of Shamy fics i have read and liked too. One that ill pick out is Misophonias 'The Mendacity Revelation'. I read a good few chapters into that and loved it. Perfectly written Shamy right there. And at some point i'll catch up on reading that! I will!

Um, there was another Shamy fic i read and really enjoyed but dopey me cant remember the name of it. In it, Sheldon shared with Amy that he was allergic to latex condoms and Amy told him she sneezed when she orgasmed... or vice versa. haha. i know, it doesnt bode well for me that this information is pretty much all i remember about the story! I think it was a 7 or 8 chapter fic, although it could have been less than that, and as with many others i only got a few chapters in before telling myself i would read the rest later and never did. I stil intend to read the rest of that so if any of you Shamys know what fic im talking about it would be great if you could let me know! I'm pretty sure it was on chat in here that i found out about it so yeah, one of you people know what im talking about! Haha.

Wahey! There we go! I think im done. There are so many more stories i've yet to read but when im trying to write at the same time i find it hard. Maybe ill take a week or so once i've finished my story to catch up on all these ones i have started but havent yet finished! I really should. :)

• Like 1

I have to admit I don't really do reviews.  I may or may not have anything nice to say, I guess.  If it's something I really like, I may leave a review.

We were just having a similar discussion on the other forum and I guess I have a pretty detached attitude.

For one thing, I hate when authors have the attitude of, "If I don't get enough reviews, I'll stop updating!" or some variation of that statement, essentially holding readers hostage for reviews.  That will make me stop reading right off the bat.

It's always nice to get reviews, but I guess I don't often have a coherent thought to express, or maybe I don't have anything nice to say... ;)

I think I've done one review on FF, though I've made comments to authors here on the boards about their work.

But then again, I don't really read that much fic.

• Like 1