The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ajond

Greedy Actors?

Galecki,Parsons and Cuoco are apparently wanting an extra 150K per episode taking then to 500K each. (This is from Daily Mail Online) .If true,  are they worth it? Still only half what the Friends cast got. 

I think Cuoco could probably.  earn big money away from BBT. Not sure about the others. Maybe they shouldn't push too hard. But the show would be cactus without any one of them.

• Like 1

As you say, it's not as much as the Friends stars got, so I think they are worth it. They are top of their profession in sitcom comedy but I know what you mean. It's certainly a lot from my perspective! I wonder how much the writers earn per episode now.

• Like 1

It's the age-old question - how much should somebody earn?  The superstar sports figure who signs a $30 million 3 year contract - is he overpaid?  The CEO of the major corporation?  Who knows?  $500K per episode is a lot of money - $12 million per season.  For most people it seems a ridiculous, insane amount to be paid for what they do.  On the other hand, it is hugely successful show that is making tons of money for the network, the show's owners, etc.  And those three actors are hugely responsible for the success and are irreplaceable.  

Obviously there is always a breakpoint in terms of what they can be paid, but it seems like the Friends cast $1 million per episode pay in the last season sets the bar - and that was a long time ago.

• Like 1

Also, I think it costs money to be a celebrity. You can't just live in the same tower block flat, that you did before your fame. You would need a more secure location and this show might also be the only time they earn this kind of money. Who's to say if any of them will get another big role, some big stars end up penniless because they manage their funds badly and think it will keep flowing in forever.  

Edited by Spaced_up

Kaley make's alot from endorsements and ad's, not sure what goes into it when it comes to pay raises, but they work hard so they prob deserve it.

The title brought immediately "Needy baby, Greedy Baby" to my mind. :p 

As for the real topic, I really don't care how much more they want, I think they should just get it. 

• Like 2

Galecki,Parsons and Cuoco are apparently wanting an extra 150K per episode taking then to 500K each. (This is from Daily Mail Online) .If true,  are they worth it? Still only half what the Friends cast got. 

I think Cuoco could probably.  earn big money away from BBT. Not sure about the others. Maybe they shouldn't push too hard. But the show would be cactus without any one of them.

It is hard to say whether they are being greedy or not.  Known of us knows what their motivations really are.  Asking for 150K more does not seem to be that big of a jump since the last increase though, which I understand was a few years ago.  IMO if the budget of the show can handle it then why not give it to them.  Last year was their most successful season so far.  I agree with Guitar1964 these three actors are a huge part of the success of the show.

Edited by Oldnavy

It's not as if their salaries are going to be coming out of your pocket, so what does it matter?

These kinds of negotiations go on in Hollywood all the time. There are plenty of actors that make way more than they do.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1

I can't think too much about this, other than to consider it's hard to price happiness and they are engaged in a enterprise that creates a lot of joy and is pretty low on direct environmental impacts or other negatives. It's not like they are directly profiting from harmful industries or child exploitation or bizarre financial instruments that no one understands that tank the global economy. Maybe the money will move around a lot and do good too. You question this and you have to question a lot of things.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Last year TBBT brought in approximately 188 million in add revenue(276,000 for a 30 second spot). This year (based on ratings increase) it should be between 288 to 320 million. If the show is bringing in 100-140 million more this year(est 350-400 thousand per30 second spot). It hard to fault the actors for wanting more. I think Jim, Johnny, and Kaley may get 750,000 per episode next year. Or, less if their syndication share increases. How much less will depend on the percentage of syndication money. We'll probably never know the specifics, just generalities.

I think it is just a matter of free market economics. I believe they should ask for 1 million per episode or any combination thereof including syndication that would amount to a number similar to that. I wouldn't consider them being greedy if they asked based on the amount of total viewers and the increase in the  "infamous" (because I don't belong to it any more -lol-) 18-49 demographic. If we think about it, the only reason they would get a pay increase is precisely because of that, and if they weren't pulling those numbers they wouldn't

• Like 1

I don't see a problem with it.  You always here people say that that is too much money for anyone to make.  But who can be the real judges of how much someone should make.  Some question if they deserve to earn that much or wonder how much the cast is really worth.  And when a cast member on a show or movie asks for alot, they are branded as greedy.  But think how much the producers of the show are making.  I think the cast should ask for as much as they can get.       

may be they are .... may they are not..... i don't care about actors and their lives as long as they do their job well...

OK, I don't really think they are greedy - the topic title needed to be attention grabbing. I believe an actor or any other preofessional is worth exactly what the market will pay. Good luck to them, they have been a huge part of a show that I have felt more connected with than any other.

I wonder if this is the reason for the apparent delay in announcing S8 and beyond.

One thing to take into consideration about their salaries is that they pay:

Entertainment Lawyers (who represent all their legal affairs) at least 10%

Managers (who manage existing and new projects ) at least 10%

Agents (who work with the manager to scout out and find those extra gigs) at least 10%

Publicists (who handle all their PR) at least 10%

Then there are stylists, personal assistants, etc. that they pay in addition.  You consider all of the people they pay to keep working, plus by the time they pay taxes, what sounds like a huge amount of money ends up what goes in their pockets not to be near what it sounds.  

So while we may think it sounds greedy, they may walk away with about 30% of the actual face amount that goes to them when it is all said and done.  Most are in the over $1M earnings per year which places them in the highest tax bracket.  That alone can bring their salaries down in half.

Bear that in mind because I don't think most people are aware of how many people they help employ as well out of their salaries.   It isn't just them getting paid.  There are loads of other folks getting paid.

As someone else said before, it also is expensive to be a face in this industry.   Actors have to constantly be "high maintenance" in appearance and they travel a lot, etc.   They have a lot of out of pocket expenses all because fans expect them to look a certain way and be available for photos, for personal appearances, etc..   Sad, but true.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 4

I don't really care how much the actors make, I just don't want to hear them complain about being underpaid when they make more in an episode than most people make in a year, I also don't want to see salery bickering ruin the show as has happened to so many other shows - I love TBBT and would like to see it make it to at least ten seasons, that wont happen though if the stars start making outrageous salery demands.

I don't think they're asking too much, as Hollywood is ridiculous anyways with what it pays for stuff, so they fit right in. However, I do wonder if the three of them getingt such a pay increase, and the other actors are making signifcantly less, will it start to cause animosty between the actors? Actors and actresses have definitley left shows because of not being paied as much as their co-stars.

Greedy?  I don't think so.   They are worth what ever the Network is willing to pay them.   If TPTB can afford their pay raises then they would give it to them.  It's called a Free Market.  Yes it is more then most people make but most people aren't starring in one of the top rated TV shows in the World.  Go and grab a bunch of people off the street, have them replace the actors, and see how well the show does.

i am a bit surprised that the stories report that Melissa and Mayim are being paid so much less.  Like one tenth of what the top three make.

• Like 1

Stardust you make some very good points.

I would like to mention the 'real' cost of fame too; freedom.

In their future working lives I'm guessing the support actors to the main three will find they are not too typecast. Of the main three, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco will shake off their BBT characters with more ease than Jim Parsons.

There are some pretty fervent fans out there, and this show has a classic quality that will make it endure. So, this is the legacy that these actors will carry with them for the rest of their lives. The value of anonymity cannot be known until it is lost. There's truth in the tale of the Faustian Pact.

So, what price would you charge for your freedom?

• Like 1

Yes they should make as much as they can, not only for their art, lack of freedom, fame tax,etc, but because this programme has made so much money, from around the world. Merchandising makes alot of money. I saw a Sheldon cut out, looking at me through a window on wednesday. 

• Like 1

In their future working lives I'm guessing the support actors to the main three will find they are not too typecast. Of the main three, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco will shake off their BBT characters with more ease than Jim Parsons.

Yeah, Jim's relationship with Sheldon, in a way, reminds me of Don Knots', with Barney Fife. Although, Jim's theatrical and SAG work is mostly different than Sheldon, which may help him.

There are some pretty fervent fans out there, and this show has a classic quality that will make it endure. So, this is the legacy that these actors will carry with them for the rest of their lives. The value of anonymity cannot be known until it is lost. There's truth in the tale of the Faustian Pact.

So, what price would you charge for your freedom?

If they quit working, they would get some of their freedom back. Of course, I don't think they will quit working anytime soon. I like how Kaley called it hitting the sitcom jackpot and although it does take away their freedom in the form of their anonymity, it does give them the freedom to pick and chose their projects for the rest of their career.

• Like 1

One point about a hit sitcom like this, sometimes it can end an actors career, so it is best to get the money while you can, just in case.  Getting type-cast, or locked into a role, is a very real problem for actors. 

• Like 1