Will Penny Graduate In The Course Of The Show

Penny is in community college. Will she graduate inside the show's timeframe? That'd be cool. I read something about two or three year US colleges courses but the part-time university undergraduate program's I have heard of run six years. Can they make this a big deal and a win for her later down the track?

Penny is in community college. Will she graduate inside the show's timeframe? That'd be cool. I read something about two or three year US colleges courses but the part-time university undergraduate program's I have heard of run six years. Can they make this a big deal and a win for her later down the track?

I think they'll have her graduate.  The only reason I can think of for the writers not to have her finish school is if it is somehow supposed to be a lesson for Leonard; something along the lines of teaching him that a girl doesn't have to be a college graduate to be smart or worthy of him.. However I see this as extremely unlikely since they briefly went down this road before and seem to have moved way past it.  On the other hand, graduating would do wonders for Penny's self-esteem. 

I really hope they don't drop the plot of her being in school. I agree with Jon that it's not about sending the message that she needs a degree per-se as that she managed to stick to something and carry it through to the end, and it'd be a nice way to show that by the end of the show both the guys and Penny have truly changed each other's lives in a way: she's going to get an education thanks to being inspired by Leonard and being around so many smart people and the others will have improved on their social skills and personal lives enough to build solid friendships and lives with their SO's. It would be great if the series finale, instead of a Lenny wedding, is Penny's graduation :) (Not that I don't want Lenny to tie the knot, but it would be overdone for a series finale, they can have the wedding in another ep :p )

I really hope they don't drop the plot of her being in school. I agree with Jon that it's not about sending the message that she needs a degree per-se as that she managed to stick to something and carry it through to the end, and it'd be a nice way to show that by the end of the show both the guys and Penny have truly changed each other's lives in a way: she's going to get an education thanks to being inspired by Leonard and being around so many smart people and the others will have improved on their social skills and personal lives enough to build solid friendships and lives with their SO's. It would be great if the series finale, instead of a Lenny wedding, is Penny's graduation :) (Not that I don't want Lenny to tie the knot, but it would be overdone for a series finale, they can have the wedding in another ep :p )

I share your sentiments about her graduating and what it would mean for her character.  I also like your thoughts on the dynamics of how they changed each others' lives.  I still think the series has to end on a Lenny wedding, if for nothing else than symetry.  Maybe there will be a double wedding for Lenny and Shamy.  I think there is lots of good comedy to be had with that.

Edited by JonRS92

Now that you're saying this, I think it's a brillant idea. Penny's graduation is a much better closure for the show than Lenny marrying. Or even better, they marry and there is a hint at the end of the final ep which says that she's finally graduated... That's the top.

• Like 1

My only question would be with what kind of degree?  Is she even on a degree path or is she simply taking general-type classes to bolster her basic knowledge--History, English, Psychology or whatever?

We used to joke about people getting a BUS degree (Bachelor of University Studies) that would qualify one to drive a bus...

I don't think she's going to get a degree in something so that she can have a different career, so I don't know that having her graduate would be that big a goal for the show, again, because I don't think they're going to have her give up on her career as an actress--which I also think would send the wrong message.

IMO, her desire to make it as an actress is akin to Sheldon's desire for a Nobel prize.  It's something to strive for and work toward, whether or not we see it happen in the course of the show.

I do wish they would show her getting some minor roles or commercials (we wouldn't need to see her acting onscreen, though such things could be funny) just to show that she's making a little progress, similar to showing that she's continuing to take classes.

My only question would be with what kind of degree?  Is she even on a degree path or is she simply taking general-type classes to bolster her basic knowledge--History, English, Psychology or whatever?

We used to joke about people getting a BUS degree (Bachelor of University Studies) that would qualify one to drive a bus...

I don't think she's going to get a degree in something so that she can have a different career, so I don't know that having her graduate would be that big a goal for the show, again, because I don't think they're going to have her give up on her career as an actress--which I also think would send the wrong message.

IMO, her desire to make it as an actress is akin to Sheldon's desire for a Nobel prize.  It's something to strive for and work toward, whether or not we see it happen in the course of the show.

I do wish they would show her getting some minor roles or commercials (we wouldn't need to see her acting onscreen, though such things could be funny) just to show that she's making a little progress, similar to showing that she's continuing to take classes.

As some have said, I don't think Penny getting a degree is just about the degree or even as a stepping stone to some career.  She wants to do it to prove something to herself.  Her deciding to go back may have been due to some insecurities about her relationship with Leonard since Alex has been introduced.  However I don't think it a good idea to have her graduate to prove anything to Leonard.  If she is going to do it, and I think she will, it is to prove it to herself.  Also, as to what degree, given her class choices she could be going for a Liberal Arts degree.  It might actually help her acting career.

Edited by JonRS92

• 1 year later...

I think it would be absolutely amazing if she graduated college with her undergrad in Psychology, or any other major the screenwriter(s) decide to plot for her!!!! I think they shouldn't stop her there with only her undergrad degree (if they end the show like that) they should exalt Penny as an example of a person who graduated with her Masters or PHD due to the company of her beloved friends.  The whole idea that she was influenced by having smart successful friends, instead of bad ones, makes everything that much more elated. I really can't wait to see what else this show will offer in the future!

~The Big Bang Theory is the newest/ biggest thing since Friends

:shy:  :shy:  :shy: