116 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Or perhaps, and I'm just throw throwing this out, that the writers do everything for a purpose. The last episode from last year the locate was absolutely wonderful. Now only two episodes in she doesn't even wear it. UMM! Then the pics CBS shows us for the next episode she isn't wearing it either. I'm not saying they are breaking up, however, it may mean a problem leading up to the November sweeps. Just saying. :)

Unless she has pawned it for for crack I think she is okay. :diablo:

• Like 2

I get a kick out of how hard we all try to make sense out of this show.

We probably should have abandoned that quest when Penny moved in. I mean, in what universe do two physicists have to share an apartment to make ends meet, while a minimum wage waitress living in the same building can afford to live alone? :-)

• Like 1

We probably should have abandoned that quest when Penny moved in. I mean, in what universe do two physicists have to share an apartment to make ends meet, while a minimum wage waitress living in the same building can afford to live alone? :-)

Yeah true good point, but I think in sitcom land anything can happen lol, and for the record Leonard make's enough to live on his own, but at the end of the day I think he lives with Sheldon because he wants too. And also Leonard and Sheldon's apartment is much bigger, and they have a lot more assets, Penny often borrows money from the guy's so she get's by, besides she's pretty don't worry about her ;)

Yes, this anomaly has been discussed around here quite a bit for years. I call it "Big Bang" economics, it is used merely to sustain the original premise and it makes no sense at all now. In the real world, Leonard would have been long gone like Sheldon's previous roommates since a PH.D experimental Physicist with Leonard's credentials could be approaching six figures by now.  And Penny would have moved in with him like she did with Kurt since the economics makes sense for her and she would not have to work at the CheeseCake Factory.

But this follows TV logic.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

Yes, this anomaly has been discussed around here quite a bit for years. I call it "Big Bang" economics, it is used merely to sustain the original premise and it makes no sense at all now. In the real world, Leonard would have been long gone like Sheldon's previous roommates since a PH.D experimental Physicist with Leonard's credentials could be approaching six figures by now.  And Penny would have moved in with him like she did with Kurt since the economics makes sense for her and she would not have to work at the CheeseCake Factory.

It also make's no sense to emulate those outcomes from a comedy standpoint, the writer's are in the buisness of comedy not romcom. You are right when you saw the writer's use it to sustain the original premise, but as we know the premise as been altered over the season's, and from an economical stand point it make's no sense to have Leonard and Sheldon still living together. But in SitcomLand, you have to forget about real world logic, but to follow tv logic, but as people have said the original premise is two Physicsts living next door to a gorgeous girl next door. Unless the original premise changes the economics won't change too, you just have to buy into the fantasy of the premise. As above said the original premise make's no sense to where the characters are presently, but the writer's need to sustain the original premise, besides Penny is pretty she get's buy, and I guess the writer's need to drag the premise out regardless of how irrelogical it sounds now. 

Yes Penny is beautiful and will always get by. However, the reason (logically) from a writers and sitcom perspective is that Leonard actually truly enjoys Sheldon as a "Best friend". It doesn't hurt that Penny lives next door. However, in a real life situation Leonard would have married Penny already moved to their love nest and would be seeing Sheldon only in "Sheldonopolis" every "Sheldon Day".(But only for old times sake!). :)

• Like 6

Ya!

I'm sure this can (and will) be discussed in so many ways, but I still think You got a point there!

So next time when You all are stuck in an endless discussion about the social structures and relations in tht TBBT group and try with every possible effort to force this show into the same rules and mechanisms that affect our normal every day life, just stop for a little moment and think about this little detail (a detail that baffled me from the very beginning) - maybe it helps You not to forget:

"This isn't the real life. This is just a TV show. It has nothing to do with real life!"

...and then go on doing what You did before, because frankly You wouln't stop doing it anyway!  :nomention: 

(And where would be the sense in this dicussion board if You did? ;) )

Edited by Lord Zog

This episode was great :) However, I couldn't help but notice that I've never seen a "blind" jigsaw puzzle like that. I mean, usually jigsaw puzzles come with a reference picture on the box. Of course it would be completely pointless for Raj to include a reference picture in order to be able to complete the puzzle and see what’s on the picture , but I imagine that doing a jigsaw puzzle without any idea what it should look like would be a very difficult thing :) Ps. I didn't read the previous posts so sorry if someone brouht it up already.

Just wondering if you diddn't find it funny why rub people up the wrong way who actually did find it funny, seem's pointless to me. I've watched every season I thought it was the funniest episode since Season 3. And as for the whole Penny is dumb thing as been over done from a comedy stand point, say's who you? It seem's people think having an opinion make's it automatic fact, which is just not true. I don't think the writer's were trying to reinforce Penny's dumb, but just compared to the geniuses in the show, when it come's to science it's not her fortae, but she did really well I thought it was really funny when Raj said I didn't know who would pick Penny last lol, but guess that's just me.

Not that I am defending Mars, but he/she raises some valid points.

1) Raj and Stuart were tighter than they appear to be in this episode.

2) Penny has been made to look stupid before in the show. Don't remember all the episodes, but Profesor Proton's last year comes to mind.

3) I did find the episode funny, but if mars didn't he/she should be able to express his/her own opinion, wouldn't you say?

Even if Penny and Leonard eventually do end up together, you just KNOW they're going to break up and get back together at least one more time. The show still has a few years left in it, and it's too soon for these two to seal the deal.

Maybe they do break up, but I don't know how they manage it without it bring unbelievable. After all the effort they have put in to improving it I don't see a legit reason to break up at this point. If they do though neither should be dating anyone else during until they reconcile because that wouldn't make sense either. They've committed to each other.

Here is why I think they lived together: to save money to buy all those games, DVD box sets, gadgets, and take-out food that they love so much. Also maybe Penny wore something "nice" and the landlord gave her a good deal ;)

Monica and Chandler got together at the end of season 4 in Friends, and never broke up, just had some fights.  So to say that you just KNOW L\P are going to break up again or it's too soon for Penny and Leonard to "seal the deal" just because the show has a few more seasons in it isn't exactly true.

This episode was great :) However, I couldn't help but notice that I've never seen a "blind" jigsaw puzzle like that. I mean, usually jigsaw puzzles come with a reference picture on the box. Of course it would be completely pointless for Raj to include a reference picture in order to be able to complete the puzzle and see what’s on the picture , but I imagine that doing a jigsaw puzzle without any idea what it should look like would be a very difficult thing :) Ps. I didn't read the previous posts so sorry if someone brouht it up already.

Thought they didn't say for sure, I would assume these were puzzles Raj handmade especially for the game--took a picture and had it printed on card stock or whatever, then cut into a puzzle, therefore no picture on the box.

Now let's get to the important issue: Leonard is sadly went to inferior Princeton, Howard to that detestable trade school MIT, Amy of course to the ever superior Harvard, but what about our hero?  I simply cannot imagine Sheldon went to Yale; how second rate. So where does that leave us? Stanford *shudder* perhaps he went to Trinity College, Cambridge. Ah the essential mystery.

I'm very intrigued with Sheldon. One of his PhDs is from Caltech, but he has two. Nevertheless, he doesn't brag about where he went. Something about Sheldon suggests that he views wherever he went as just a stop on his train to greatness - not that the inferior minds he met could really teach him anything.

Perhaps Johns Hopkins - in my eyes, it's really the only place which can outrank Harvard, Yale or Stanford.

As for Cambridge, I believe that's where Raj and his sister both went.

Edited by Lionne

Actually TBBT may be a lot closer to reality in this regard than you would think. Have a look at this link http://sciencejobs.blogspot.ca/2005/02/why-phd-in-physics-is-perilous-career.html

Not just the blog but some of the comments...

That's very interesting, djsurrey.

On the flip side of that, Penny is an experienced waitress and extremely pretty and easy to talk to. She probably pulls in $150-$200 a night in tips, especially if the Cheesecake Factory is as busy as the one here in Seattle, and meals are about $25 - $50. Not to mention, Penny works in the bar area (and the gang had a new table next to the bar this week, and Penny was waiting on them) and alcoholic beverages drive the cost of a meal up exponentially. So, even with a conservative estimate, she's pulling in $3,000 a week. Her apartment is not that big, actually, and there's no pool in this building and the elevator doesn't work. So looking at rents in Pasadena, she's probably paying about $1,000, maybe a little more. When Kurt paid her back her $1,800, Penny was able to pay Sheldon back, so she borrowed a little less than that to pay her rent and her bills.

Also, she gets free WiFi and many other things for free from Leonard, so her bills shouldn't be quite that high. And she also has her shopping and alcohol habit, so it makes sense she about breaks even, but not that she can afford that apartment.

My favorite episode had been Panty Pinata, but this just beat it out.  I have always thought the interaction between Penny and Sheldon was hilarious, and still look forward to it, but NOW I definitely want more Leonard and Bernadette.  "Come along, Numbnuts!"   "You Big Willow!"

• Like 2

So Cheesecake Factories exist? I didn't know for sure if it wasn't just made up for the show.

Oh, they do indeed exist, though they look nothing like the one in the show (about the only thing the one in the show has in common with the ones in real life is the name, and possibly a few of the menu items [i haven't checked]). The most elaborate one I've ever seen is the one in Las Vegas, located inside the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace. One finally opened here in Michigan, and it's been packed solid ever since. And, of course, their cheescake is to die for...

Edited by MJPollard