116 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

A real Cheesecake Factory has lighting and decor way too dark to match The Big Bang Theory's color palette, which is very bright. It's styled almost like a comic book itself when you look at the lighting and the palette. Honestly, the set of TBBT looks nothing like a real Cheesecake Factory, which usually includes massive columns, murals on the wall, colorful lighting pieces from the ceiling, and a lot dark wood. They usually look like this:

1317483824_f4faf7acd7_z.jpg?zz=1

The biggest difference, to me, is the wardrobe. Penny dresses like she works at Denny's with that awful yellow vest and denim skirt. A real Cheesecake factory worker wears a white Oxford, long-sleeve button down, a tie, white slacks, and a white apron tied around their waist. Although I swear I have seen staff at the Cheesecake Factory wearing black slacks or a black skirt before. In fact, they look like this:

careers.jpg

Penny's outfit looks more as if she worked at Denny's.

However, according to the TV lore, she works at the Cheesecake Factory. They put up some lighting on the wall with a bit of lacing black ornament on it and glossy wood tables to make a passing aquaintance with the Cheesecake Factory, and I really have no problem with this. I don't care if you're doing a high school play or a TV show - you still build sets on a budget. You use a wobbly table with a phone it to suggest a desk, you use a few tree branches to suggest a forest. Unless you have a Lord of the Rings-like budget, there is still a tactic agreement with the audience to please use their imagination to make up some of the details if that's what the show says it is, and also the fact that the show might play fast and loose with reality for their own reasons. For instance, it's much more amusing to see Penny and Bernadette dressed in those awful waitressing outfits rather than the ones from the real Cheesecake Factory. Besides, there's a reason why all TV apartments are never just plain white, and that's because white vibrates in a weird way on screen, and you will almost never see white walls or people dressed up in a pure white color. I bet that they wanted to use the Cheesecake Factory (it's fairly realistic for Penny to work at one, it's a great place for the guys to go eat because their menu is so huge and diverse) and took one look at the all-white uniforms and quickly decide these were unusable for TV and that they would have to design their own. So they did.

Besides, when they started out, I don't think anyone expected TBBT to be a huge hit. In fact, this version of TBBT was Lorre's second chance which he probably only received because he is Chuck Lorre. The original version with Sheldon, Leonard, Glinda and Katie, was extremely dark, gloomy, and went over like a lead balloon. Almost no one gets to take their awful Pilot and go back to the drawing board and try it again, but Lorre did due to his past successes. Still, I don't think that they gave him the biggest budget for his over haul - I'm sure that they had a lot of limits on their funding. No one knew that the show was going to do this well. It might have money now (and can give us a KRAKEN!) but back in the beginning you can bet it did not. Hence, for all the above reasons, the TBBT version of the Cheesecake Factory.

I think we'll live.

• Like 1

I really like Penny's yellow waitress outfit, maybe that's just me but I Think it's more attractive on her then that boring white get up.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I really like Penny's yellow waitress outfit, maybe that's just me but I Think it's more attractive on her then that boring white get up.

Let's face it though, she could wear a potato sack and you would still find her attractive. You are not objective, but hey! none of us are!

Let's face it though, she could wear a potato sack and you would still find her attractive. You are not objective, but hey! none of us are!

Too true.  But then I am the guy who thinks Penny was at one of her most hot times when she was drinking with Leonard while avoiding his mother in season 2.  Something about that baseball hat ;)

Besides, when they started out, I don't think anyone expected TBBT to be a huge hit. In fact, this version of TBBT was Lorre's second chance which he probably only received because he is Chuck Lorre. The original version with Sheldon, Leonard, Glinda and Katie, was extremely dark, gloomy, and went over like a lead balloon.

Oh, I would so liked to have seen that one!  8P  I there anything of it anywhere to be found?

What I'm a guy so when it come's to Penny my judgement is impaired because she's hot? Your damn right it is haha. For the record I was more refering to he image her uniform portrayed more then Penny's attractiveness level which is high.

Oh, I would so liked to have seen that one! 8P I there anything of it anywhere to be found?

I have a website somewhere. You need to google it and then weed out all the YouTube hits. On youtube there are a few versions of a 3-minute clip, but the whole pilot is out there.

Edited by phantagrae

Because we're all walking Greek tragedies ... Everybody is subconsciously looking for their mothers and fathers in their relationships, no matter how dysfunctional their relationships are. That's why, if this were real life, Sheldon would want to end up with someone more like his mother ... An unintellectual nurturer who loves him unconditionally. His Mom drives him crazy, but there is no woman he loves more.

So, frankly, he probably has a secret attraction to Penny (who is a lot like his mom). Remember the episode where she slipped and fell in the tub? When he was helping Penny dress, he had trouble letting go when he grabbed the wrong body part. And he did peek at her tattoo! Also, as terrified as he was of driving, he still did it to help Penny. She means the world to him. And he'd sooner die than admit it.

That's real chemistry. Even if they never ended up together.

But, the producers seem determined to turn Leonard and Penny into Ross and Rachel (from "Friends") so I fear we're stuck with it. I'm glad there are viewers who love Leonard with Penny. I'm just one who doesn't.

Penny would never put up with the crap Sheldon does (to Amy), AND Penny would NOT wait 5 days, let alone 5 years to have sex with someone she loved. Penny & Sheldon may (have) become very good friends, but there is NO romantic spark in there at all. Anyone who sees one is just wishful thinking it.

• Like 5

OMG, I've watched this episode a ton of times and just now realized Howard and Amy were singing "Love on the Rocks" in the GEOLOGY lab! That's very clever. Probably didn't notice because I'm a Neil Diamond fan myself--even DVRed "The Jazz Singer" just for the music.

• Like 3

Really I thought Bernadette/Mellissa stole the episode, yeah she over did it a few time's but I think it was just over exagerrated for effect. As for comment's about Leonard and Penny, I completley agree re Sheldon, do you really think Penny would put up with Sheldon's lack of physical intimacy and emotional distance, she woulden't put up with it with a gym guy, Sheldon is no different (This is all AU though, Sheldon is not Penny's type, and if Penny was asked about it she would probably throw up lol, Penny is a very sexual character, Sheldon is very asexual, they have absoloutely nothing in common for Penny to be attracted too, and the fact Sheldon is attracted to intelligence). 

Listen ... I'm okay with Sheldon and Penny never dating... Like I said earlier, it would take a brilliant writer to pull off that relationship.

My main point is that s

Sheldon and Penny have more chemistry in their friendship than Leonard and Penny have in their romantic relationship. That bothers me.

I'm happy the rest of you can see their "magic." I really wish I did.

Listen ... I'm okay with Sheldon and Penny never dating... Like I said earlier, it would take a brilliant writer to pull off that relationship.

My main point is that s

Sheldon and Penny have more chemistry in their friendship than Leonard and Penny have in their romantic relationship. That bothers me.

I'm happy the rest of you can see their "magic." I really wish I did.

That's a personal preferance though and an opinon, like you said you wish you could see the magic in Leonard and Penny, well I wish I coulds see from your point of veiw this chemistry that you seem to think Sheldon and Penny have in their friendship, sure it's maternal but that's not chemistry when neither of the two want nothing from each other. I have always thought Leonard and Penny had amazing romantic chemistry either as friend's or in a relationship, most people who watched Season One can see most of the touching moment's were between them, it is okay that they are not your personal preferance, my point is a lot of people would disagree that they don't have any chemistry, seeing Johnny and Kaley dated in real life so you would think that would transfer into on screen, and I have always thing they have it's obvious to me. Even the Time Machine episode that really highlighted the chemistry between Leonard and Penny, I have never seen this chemistry between Sheldon and Penny, but hey! that's okay I love their friendship and I pretty much agree that the way their character's are written Penny being a very sexual character and Sheldon Asexual they just woulden't work based on the premise of the show they would have nothing in common, so based on that Leonard and Penny are ton's in common IMO. Besides you cannot compare Penny's chemistry with her friend's ala Sheldon to her chemistry with Leonard, it's apple's and orange's different type's of relationship's for different type's of people who watch the show. Sheldon and Penny's chemistry is based on the type of relationship it is maternal, that's where the heart of Shenny is. If the writer's changed the type of relationship into a romantic pardaigm, it would change the chemistry between them, their relationship function's the way it does because of how maternal it is, if the writer's tried to turn it into an romantic relationship, the chemistry would become forced, contrived, and awkward, this is all a personal preferance.

Edited by 3ku11

My best friend works at the Cheesecake Factory.  In uniform he looks like the Royal Crest Dairy deliveryman.  Or possibly the ice cream man.  It's horrible.  (Not to mention stupid and impractical, as white shows every speck and splatter.)

I enjoyed this one quite a bit except for Bernadette's harpy shrieking throughout.  I like Bernie but I don't like that part of her.  It's grating and horrible and just no.  I was wanting Leonard to stick up for himself, but alas.

My favorite moment in the scavenger hunt might have been Penny asking Sheldon, "Don't you want to know how I figured it out?" and his indifference.  :D  I love that Penny tries and I get mildly annoyed on her behalf that they constantly mock her and call her stupid.  She's a good sport.

Best part of the show was undoubtedly Howard and Amy, though. Who knew they had such great chemistry?  I'll never hear Neil Diamond the same way again.  :)

Edited by Europa

http://www.watch-tvseries.net/series69/The-Big-Bang-Theory/season-01-episode-00-Unaired-Pilot

Some parts of this are OK........Amy introduced from the start! But the Penny (Katie) character is awful, and the show is "dark".

Interesting to see the dialogue they kept and recycled in the revamped / aired show.

Thank you for the link. I had seen bits of it before but now I have watched the entire thing.  I did not like it at all but it is nice to have a better idea of what people are talking about.

It does not have any of the charm of the actual s1e1. Katie does not really come across as someone I'd want to bring into my apartment. Perhaps give her a lift to a shelter. In this pilot Sheldon comes accross as more reasonable than Leonard.

Probably after a long time, I've seen Amy and Howard really and genuinely happy , enjoying themselves by being themseleves.....

both brilliantly acted...I might add....

hope we see much more of this pairing in the future....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

There is a QR code at the counter of Stuart's store that points to the thecomiccentre.com of Pasedena. Lol.

It is closed. I wonder if it ever was open, or did Stuart have a failed online venture. Wow for attention to detail.

• Like 1

There is a QR code at the counter of Stuart's store that points to the thecomiccentre.com of Pasedena. Lol.

It is closed. I wonder if it ever was open, or did Stuart have a failed online venture. Wow for attention to detail.

It was open for real. Warner Bros. were actually selling t-shirts on that website until recently. It was actually the only place you could get some of Sheldon's t-shirts, which were exclusive to the site.

• Like 1

It was open for real. Warner Bros. were actually selling t-shirts on that website until recently. It was actually the only place you could get some of Sheldon's t-shirts, which were exclusive to the site.

The depth of knowledge some of you have developed about the show is freakishly unsettling. :scared:

The depth of knowledge some of you have developed about the show is freakishly unsettling. :scared:

Tripper runs a site and a forum about the show. He has to know how many times Sheldon has moved his bowels in his life.

Tripper runs a site and a forum about the show. He has to know how many times Sheldon has moved his bowels in his life.

And I discovered how to read QR codes with my new phone. Just monkey curiosity. No need for alarm, citizens.