116 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I think you might be reading that scene in 7.2 wrong. I don't think that was about the sex at all but about being interrupted and seeing her fiends fighting.

All I will say that it happens too often for me to doubt what I saw. It stood out due to what Sheldon said and her answer to Amy along with her look she gave Amy.

All I will say that it happens too often for me to doubt what I saw. It stood out due to what Sheldon said and her answer to Amy along with her look she gave Amy.

Like above said i think your reading too much into it, Leonard just returned, if the sex had been so dissapointing in the past then she would of said so, Penny is honest to a fault, she really has no filter a time's. I just think she wasen't prepared for Amy and Sheldon to bust in like that, and besides do you think they got that far? With Sheldon and Amy busting through, they obviousley diddn't have the time to get that far, so her going it was fine was more a reaction to the situation, not an overview of their sex life. I remember in S3 when Leonard and Penny just did it, Penny was like "You really are a genius" haha so obviousley Leonard's performance is beyond average if anything, not that has anything to do with their relationship is currently at.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Loved the episode-  Howard/Amy & Leonard/Bernadette took it, gift wrapped it, and ran away with it. FINALLY new dynamics, a breath of fresh air and they handled them hilariously- definitely much better than I expected. Loved the extreme juxtaposition of the overly competitive Bernie pushing Leonard and the team of Howard & Amy not caring about the game and ditching it to go to karaoke. Instant Classic.

I really didn't care much for SP, but as i said elsewhere, they've been paired so many times, last time only last week, than they were easily overshadowed by the new dynamics. 

• Like 6

And Leonard girlfriend should know better than at ever turn put him down to his friends ( she did it once again in 7.02 episode) that he isn't good in bed.  It's a two way street and Penny knows Leonard doesn't like her talking about him in that manner.

So I guess both Leonard and Penny has some growing to do.

You do know Penny didn't say the 'willow' thing, right? Bernie said she made that up because Leonard was going to quit.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 5

Like above said i think your reading too much into it, Leonard just returned, if the sex had been so dissapointing in the past then she would of said so, Penny is honest to a fault, she really has no filter a time's. I just think she wasen't prepared for Amy and Sheldon to bust in like that, and besides do you think they got that far? With Sheldon and Amy busting through, they obviousley diddn't have the time to get that far, so her going it was fine was more a reaction to the situation, not an overview of their sex life. I remember in S3 when Leonard and Penny just did it, Penny was like "You really are a genius" haha so obviousley Leonard's performance is beyond average if anything, not that has anything to do with their relationship is currently at.

Obviously someone here dislikes Penny. The only time I remember her making a comment about his sexual abilities was in 6.3 when she told Amy he really tries.

the-big-bang-theory-the-scavenger-vortex

'The Big Bang Theory': The best lines from 'The Scavenger Vortex'

By Billy Nilles

October 3, 2013 9:32 PM ET

Raj gives good scavenger hunt. It's just a shame he doesn't know how to stick the landing.

In the Thursday (Oct. 3) episode of "The Big Bang Theory," "The Scavenger Vortex," the gang competes in an intense scavenger hunt designed by Raj after the entire group blows off his murder mystery dinner. Working in pairs drawn out of a hat (because no one wants to work with Penny), the gang is split in character combinations that haven't yet been overworked on the series.

Bernadette and Leonard are paired together, with the former's cutthroat gameplay terrifying the latter. Amy and Wolowitz get teamed up, which finds the two alone together for the first time, wherein they bond closely over their shared love for Neil Diamond. And Sheldon gets stuck with Penny, which we all saw coming.

It's fun to see some of these new character pairings, but they don't yield much in terms of revelatory character work. Mostly, it's a lightweight episode that focuses more on the laughs than anything else. Not that that's a bad thing. More of an observation. And that ending, with the coins in everyone's pocket? Such a thing Raj would do. He just wants to win, after all.

But enough about that. Behold, the night's best lines:

"If you want to solve the mystery of who stabbed Koothrappali in the back with a weapon of indifference, it was all of you!" - Raj, after pointing out that no one showed to his murder mystery dinner

"I'm sorry, are we really doing this? Or are we tricking Koothrappali again like with the dinner party?" - Sheldon, after the gang agrees to Raj's scavenger hunt

"Really? The only time I'm ever picked first for a time and I'm stuck with the liability?" - Sheldon, after Penny wants to team with him. Also perfect? Penny checking with Amy after she uses "liability" first in a sentence, to see if she used it right.

"As my mom used to say, 'When you're doing a puzzle, it's like you've got a thousand friends.' She was full of fun lies like that." - Amy

"Don't you wanna know how I figured it out?" - Penny
"No one likes a know-it-all, Penny." - Sheldon, after spending minutes explaining how he figured out an earlier clue

"My brain is better than everybody's!" - Sheldon, who's been lugging around a bowling ball (just in case), after the coordinates take them to a bowling alley

"I'm not a child. I know the word 'ninny.'" - Sheldon, after Leonard and Bernadette attempt to avoid saying the word "p****" around him

"Don't you see? When we're all having fun together, we're already winners!" - Raj, to an irate Leonard, Penny and Bernadette after revealing everyone had their own coin already

Follow Zap2it on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest news and buzz
Photo/Video credit: CBS

I personally would have also added:

OH MY GOD, you did not just slow down for a bird! You know they fly, right?”  by Bernadette and

"You suck, so hard" by Bernadette.   LOL!
Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 4

Hilarious episode. I'm with Sursonica in that the Howard/Amy pairing was my favorite of the episode. Their scenes and dynamic was a breath of fresh air, and it was hilarious seeing them together singing all of that Neil Diamond. "To the Neil Mobile!" was totally brilliant.

I liked Leonard and Bernadette together as well, although I'm sensitive about Bernadette's inner wolverine because she's made TWOP (Television Without Pity's list of "Character we used to love that we now Hate" because they think she's turned into a shrew. She was pretty much a competitive shrew through the whole episode....although I have to agree with her annoyance towards Leonard fixating on his relationship with Penny and wanting to fix it while in the middle of a game. Grow up, Leonard!

Pussy indeed. (Did Velvet Pussywillow get a shout out?) I'm sorry, but Bernadette's, "Sheldon! Cover your ears!" was so funny. And his comeback, "I'm an adult. I know you're about to say 'ninny.'" was quite funny. Usually I feel sorry for Leonard, but not so much in this case. I'm sorry, but it was fun to see him suffer. 

It was also fun to see Sheldon solve the clues in one glance, as usual. Although my favorite will still be Howard and Amy running away from the whole competition for some Neil Diamond. I think they were adorable together, and I hope that Amy will now insist on listening to music in the car with Sheldon from time to time.

Obviously someone here dislikes Penny. The only time I remember her making a comment about his sexual abilities was in 6.3 when she told Amy he really tries.

Have you ever MET Skull? He worships the ground Kaley/Penny walks on. Obviously someone here needs to work on their reading comprehension skills.

Seriously, cannot get him to shut up about it.

• Like 3

Hilarious episode. I'm with Sursonica in that the Howard/Amy pairing was my favorite of the episode. Their scenes and dynamic was a breath of fresh air, and it was hilarious seeing them together singing all of that Neil Diamond. "To the Neil Mobile!" was totally brilliant.

I liked Leonard and Bernadette together as well, although I'm sensitive about Bernadette's inner wolverine because she's made TWOP (Television Without Pity's list of "Character we used to love that we now Hate" because they think she's turned into a shrew. She was pretty much a competitive shrew through the whole episode....although I have to agree with her annoyance towards Leonard fixating on his relationship with Penny and wanting to fix it while in the middle of a game. Grow up, Leonard!

Pussy indeed. (Did Velvet Pussywillow get a shout out?) I'm sorry, but Bernadette's, "Sheldon! Cover your ears!" was so funny. And his comeback, "I'm an adult. I know you're about to say 'ninny.'" was quite funny. Usually I feel sorry for Leonard, but not so much in this case. I'm sorry, but it was fun to see him suffer. 

It was also fun to see Sheldon solve the clues in one glance, as usual. Although my favorite will still be Howard and Amy running away from the whole competition for some Neil Diamond. I think they were adorable together, and I hope that Amy will now insist on listening to music in the car with Sheldon from time to time.

I thought Leonard showed maturity in that scene, still showing the actulization to realize he may of hurt Penny's feeling;s, I thought it was kinda cruel Bernadette would make that up just to win the competition, although she was lying. Overall awesome episode, and it's only episode three.

• Like 1

Penny is my second favorite and I am sorry you believe different.  We can always agree to disagree without claiming someone don't like Penny.

The only character I come close to disliking is Sheldon due to him getting away with everything on the show.

I thought Leonard showed maturity in that scene, still showing the actulization to realize he may of hurt Penny's feeling;s, I thought it was kinda cruel Bernadette would make that up just to win the competition, although she was lying. Overall awesome episode, and it's only episode three.

I was glad that Leonard was concern that he hurt Penny feelings and wanted to make it right.

I like Bernie but she was over the top in last night show.  She didn't have to call Leonard that name and most would be upset if Leonard had called Bernie some degrading name but it's Leonard so it's okay to call him names and to root for him to lose.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 1

Have you ever MET Skull? He worships the ground Kaley/Penny walks on. Obviously someone here needs to work on their reading comprehension skills.

Seriously, cannot get him to shut up about it.

I wasn't referring to skull I was referring to ArmyGirl. Although skull can't worship Penny more than the many that worship Sheldon. It's ironic what you said about Leonard. I enjoy Sheldon suffering and am waiting for him to grow up.

Penny is my second favorite and I am sorry you believe different.  We can always agree to disagree without claiming someone don't like Penny.

The only character I come close to disliking is Sheldon due to him getting away with everything on the show.

It always seems when someone says something bad about Leonard you have to say something bad about Penny

There's a couple of scenes I really liked:

- Penny's small nod with Amy to check whether she used the word "liability" correct

- Bernadette yelling at Leonard for driving slower because of a bird.

- Sheldon solving the clue instantly while the others were still scrambling their brain.

- Howard/Amy jump at the end.

- Just everything including Bernadette in this episode

Love all of those as well..plus these:

- Love Sheldon's look at Amy at the table in the restaurant in the beginning. It was very sweet and loving.

- Love the way Sheldon looked over at Amy and smiled so cute when she was dancing to the music Raj played and then he too started to move around to the music (sort of like dancing with her).  

- Love all of the Amy/Howard scenes. 

- Love Sheldon saying he isn't a child (YES THANK YOU!) and hopefully they will start to show him less of a child for now on.  But loved that it came out of his mouth and hopefully he will start to act more like an adult now. 

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 3

I laughed out loud when Penny checked with Amy over "liability." It was so quick and brief, as well, it spoke to the chemistry of their friendship. Penny only glanced at Amy, Amy knew what she needed and gave it to her. So adorable - might be my favorite Amy/Penny moment ever.

After rewatching, I assume that Penny has really sucked at Raj's murder mysteries in the past. Otherwise, I'm not sure why no one would want to be paired with her, because Penny has always been an ace at games. If anyone should know that, Leonard should. I think Sheldon and Penny would have won that entire race if Sheldon was not so pendantic, but obviously there was a lot of clues which we didn't see at all, such as the bowling alley, the tar pits, and one other place the name of which I don't remember.

TBBT is opening up hot and adorable this year. Hope they keep this fun momentum going, and I love love LOVE the fresh new pairings. TBBT really hit on a stroke of luck I haven't seen since Friends - you can pair any of these 7 together and get some interesting dynamics that are funny to explore.

As for Amy and Howard - aWard, Hamy, AmyHow - I can't decide which one is better. You'll have to battle it out to the bloody end and declare a winner. At which point I'll dither and bitch about it. Have fun!

I also love that Sheldon and Amy were totally enrapt with Raj at the beginning, while Penny, Bernadette and Howard were befuddled or not amused. And, so cutely, Leonard tried to be cool about what Raj was doing, but he folded like a Renaissance triptych and was grinning ear-to-ear and dancing to the music in his chair. God bless you, Leonard, if only you could be my boyfriend.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 7

I felt last year was really serious at time's because of the relationship's, but this year because of the fun dynamics's, the new dynamic's have freshened thing's up.  Much better start then last season, if they can keep the momentum up it could be TBBT's best season yet. 

I also love that Sheldon and Amy were totally enrapt with Raj at the beginning, while Penny, Bernadette and Howard were befuddled or not amused. And, so cutely, Leonard tried to be cool about what Raj was doing, but he folded like a Renaissance triptych and was grinning ear-to-ear and dancing to the music in his chair. God bless you, Leonard, if only you could be my boyfriend.

If you listen closely when Raj opens with the smoke you'll hear a squeal of glee from Sheldon. It reminded me of the D&D game when A/S kept sharing their joy in Howard's performance.  While they did not make eye contact here I loved that Sheldon did looked Amy's way.  For someone that bitches and moans about attending/participating in events Sheldon sure loves to be entertained.  You can see that once again in his enjoyment of every puzzle. @Stardust you are right about let's see if Sheldon does grow up. Ever since The Bakersfield Expedition I've been waiting but vengeful Sheldon is on the way so it might be awhile.

I loved the sweet Amy/Penny bestie moment. That's two episode where these two characters have connected more with silence than with words. (someone's been watching Pixar).

I loved Raj being so Rajtastic "I wish I had a friend like me" instead of the sad pity-party lonely boy. (there's a song for that)

Bernie just owned it! She knocked Leonard around quite a bit but I didn't feel sad for him. I think her behavior was tempered by her dialogue in the car about having five brothers and sisters. She knows she's in the wrong but DAMN it she wants to win.  The bird quote floored me and we had to pause and rewind so I wouldn't miss anything.

Loved, loved A/H but I wanted a longer karaoke scene.  Now I want to see Amy as happy and free when she's with Sheldon. ---Amy, girl it's your car! Don't let nobody tell what you can listen to when your driving. Get your man in line!

Edited by dessertisserved
  • Like 5

My hightlights:

-I could go on and on about how adorable and great Howard/Amy were in this episode. Loved that dynamic!

-This episode gave me a whole new appreciation for Raj. He was so sweet and endearing.

-Bernadette's "bird line" killed me.

-Loved them showing Sheldon's intelligence more.

And so much more! It was just a great group episode :) #YaySeason7

Edited by AndyRenee

I come late to the party, since many people have already pointed out most of what I was going to, but this was most definitely another fantastic episode. The big 3 were totally blown out of the water by the supporting characters. Howard and Amy were absolutely hysterical, Bernadette had some of the best lines of the evening and Raj running the show was fantastic. But the episode was so good that even though the supporting characters really came through strong even the weakest/repetitive pairing (S/P) was fun to watch. I loved the puzzle and the geology department scenes, but these two didn't have the best laugh-out-loud lines. Again, just like last week, I love that we are back to feel-good comedy, this was such great fun! 

The line that really made me die was "Your kid might be a honor student but you're a moron!!!". I'm still laughing. Oh Bernie.

Yeah Bernadette was awesome in this episode, Melissa killed it in this episode her best one yet, she could be up for an emmy if she keep's it consistent. I feel the show has started out a lot more consistent and like you said feel good comedy then last season, back to what made it such a hit in the first place. Last season's at time felt too over done, snarky, and backhanded. It's back to being fun again, where as last year although I loved Season 6, it was mostly about the relationship's all the time, it still is but the writer's have mixed up the dynamic's, and it has freshened things up. My two favorite lines of the episode are that and, Penny "Run, Run as far as you can to india?!" haha. I also loved the line when Penny was like to Leonard can't remember it exactly but it was in the comic book store when Penny was like, Community Collage 1-0 over Cal Tech or something haha, Kaley was awesome in this episode too.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

On a sidenote, how unfathomably cruel were Amy's schoolmates ? I can understand and accept some students being less popular and having less friends than others but, from what she describes, her contemporaries went out of their way to demean and humiliate her. While I get that TBBT is a sitcom and I should not take things at heart, her anecdotes were thoroughly devastating. Amy is one brave lady. 

It's actually something I was talking about with Lio yesterday, and it kind of relates to the comment I made about 7x01, that popularity is relative and Leonard was the soul of the party on that boat: the whole idea that Leonard and Amy were outcasts and Princeton and Harvard doesn't make a lot of sense. While bullies and jerks exist everywhere, you would have had people just like them at those schools, so they would have made some friends. But that is true for any of these guys. Raj in particular would have been absolutely perfect at Cambridge, he would have been a VERY popular guy. I guess that's one of the things that you have to suspend your disbelief on for the sake of comedy. All of these guys (with the exception of Sheldon maybe, because of the age he went to college at) would have gone through what they're going through now (finding people they can relate to and fit in with for the first time) when they went off to their respective universities, or at least in grad school. But the show wants you to think that they had no life prior to meeting each other, and it kind of makes sense or otherwise the whole premise of the show falls through. With the exception of the whole Penny-teaching-them-social-skills dynamic, which they could have had regardless of the nerds' lives prior to the show.

Edited by koops
  • Like 3

It's actually something I was talking about with Lio yesterday, and it kind of relates to the comment I made about 7x01, that popularity is relative and Leonard was the soul of the party on that boat: the whole idea that Leonard and Amy were outcasts and Princeton and Harvard doesn't make a lot of sense. While bullies and jerks exist everywhere, you would have had people just like them at those schools, so they would have made some friends. But that is true for any of these guys. Raj in particular would have been absolutely perfect at Cambridge, he would have been a VERY popular guy. I guess that's one of the things that you have to suspend your disbelief on for the sake of comedy. All of these guys (with the exception of Sheldon maybe, because of the age he went to college at) would have gone through what they're going through now (finding people they can relate to and fit in with for the first time) when they went off to their respective universities, or at least in grad school. But the show wants you to think that they had no life prior to meeting each other, and it kind of makes sense or otherwise the whole premise of the show falls through. With the exception of the whole Penny-teaching-them-social-skills dynamic, which they could have had regardless of the nerds' lives prior to the show.

I do agree wholeheartedly with what you say. The writers clearly cranked up the outsiders factor to make the characters' interactions more interesting. 

However, I can believe Howard, Raj, Leonard, Sheldon and Amy were not particularly (or at all) popular at their respective schools. When the show started, Howard was a complete creep, Raj could not talk to half the human population, Leonard had severe social anxiety and foot-in-mouth issues, Sheldon was... Sheldon and Amy was a tad robotic. They are all much better now, but assuming all of them already displayed such characteristics during their high school and university years, I can see why they would not have had that many (if any) close friends. 

But what Amy described was downright Carrie-ish : people designing fake games to humiliate her, refusing to be on her team no matter what... That is just vile.

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 2