116 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I totally agree that it is very interesting to see the characters interact with other characters than their counterpart in order to explore different facets of their personalities. That is why I am a strong advocate of ensemble plots. At the same time though, I think you do need to keep a core to the show in terms of pairing in order to give it a backbone, otherwise it's all too watered down and inconsequential, one-off plots. It's like the difference between the show being a collection of jokes and a story that goes from A to B. I think the show became more popular after S4 because the relationship plots added a backbone to the show where you started seeing the characters going from point A to point B with lots of great fun episodes in between that had nothing to do with that "backbone" storyline. If you're an X-Files fan, I'll always say the same thing: Mytharc + MOTW is what made the show big. The relationships on this show are the equivalent of the mytharc in TXF. It keeps people coming back to see where it's all going, whereas if you only have isolated episodes, it doesn't matter if you miss one, or two, or a whole season.  Regarding the whole developing/broadening thing, I would argue that what Amy has done for Sheldon is precisely that: broadening him. Broadening and developing are separated by a very fine line. Just like having Sheldon interact with Kripke, Gablehauser or Capt Sweatpants exposes aspects of his personality that are usually mostly hidden, so did him finding his "perfect match". How can we claim that the way Sheldon is navigating his relationship with Amy is about "developing" (i.e. changing), rather than "broadening" (i.e. seeing parts of him that could just not come out before because he did not have those kind of feelings for another person)? I have often said that there are intrinsic character traits about Sheldon that actually make him the perfect boyfriend, ironically: what woman would not like to be in a relationship with a man who actually loves her for her brains instead of her body and would be committed to her until the end of days even without sex? Or that is truly in the relationship because of who she is, rather than the construct of the relationship itself? Of course, he is very stunted in other aspects, which make him a terrible boyfriend by every-day standards, but I don't think all that comes with his relationship with Amy is development as much as broadening. The whole point of the "Homo Novus" thing is that... there is no such thing. That's the point they try to get across with Sheldon all the time. He is special, he is incredibly smart, he is odd and absurd, but he is still a Homo Sapiens at the end of the day. He gets attached to his family, his friends, his idols and now his girlfriend. I don't think the writers ever meant to imply he is truly a member of another species. And, even if he were, him meeting Amy was totally about the whole "How would it feel like if you felt you were the only human in a world of dogs and then discovered there is another human?".  As for Amy, I was literally just telling Lio this: Sheldon does not get anywhere near enough credit for changing her life. It's always about how Penny changed her life. But Sheldon was literally the first person in Amy's life who took her as she was and let her be herself, without tricking her, bullying her or judging her, and gave her the friends she never had by sticking with her even when everyone else thought she was a drag and he should have "his relationship some place else". If Amy had never met Sheldon, she would still be out there, being bullied and alone like she had been all her life. So yes, he might be repressing her over listening to music in the car or displays of affection, but he was an extremely *liberating* influence in her life because she managed to free herself from her shell for the first time. She does owe him an awful lot and this is hardly ever acknowledged on the show. I'm not diminishing Penny's influence in her life, and I love their friendship (the little nod at the beginning of the episode during that liability line was adorable), but Sheldon is the reason Amy is who she is today. She was also the only friend Sheldon ever made on his own. If it weren't for Leonard, Sheldon would also still be alone and bullied. So, in a sense, just as Sheldon owes a lot to Leonard, Amy owes a lot to Sheldon. Of course, I have my Shamy membership card out on the table, so of course I'm not going to hide behind a finger and claim to be unbiased, because I'm not. But these are the reasons why I feel totally opposite to you about this relationship.

I think the show became more popular after S4 because it went into heavy syndication. The male-female relationships didn't make this show work. I think the show works in spite of them.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Sheldon is easily the main influence in Amy's life and where she is right now. Acceptance is the first step to growth and Sheldon truly accepted Amy, quirks and all and managed to relate to he

I think you are kind of refuting your own argument here. If his mother never gave him love then why would he want to be with a woman like his mother? Did you just mean the brains part? If so I stil

Such a funny episode. The geekiness came back in full force and I could not have been happier about it.   Raj's light-and-sound show was perfectly goofy. His Bond villain-like appearance at the end

I think the show became more popular after S4 because it went into heavy syndication. The male-female relationships didn't make this show work. I think the show works in spite of them.

While you are correct about the syndication making the show more popular at this point the relationships have brought it to an even higher popularity. If the show was just totally science I don't think it would still be on the air.

• Like 4

She was also the only friend Sheldon ever made on his own.

I disagree with this... as others have pointed out, Raj & Howard played an intricate role in that meeting... He rejected the idea of it, hated it, and had to be blackmailed into it... if he had just ran into Amy at the coffee shop all on his own, he would not have spoken to her...

How do you not consider Sheldon to have made friends with Leonard on his own?  In fact, the idea of them being friends was Sheldon's idea, as he had a friendship rider in the Roommate Aggreement...
  • Like 1

While you are correct about the syndication making the show more popular at this point the relationships have brought it to an even higher popularity. If the show was just totally science I don't think it would still be on the air.

I don't think the show was ever "just totally science" ...the plot lines in the first couple of seasons were wonderful! Long before the producers felt they had to turn these nerds into serious couples, the show had great depth in terms of character development. In the first season alone, you saw how everybody dealt with Sheldon getting sick, how Sheldon dealt with unemployment, and how Sheldon tried to quantify Christmas gift-giving ... But failed when Penny gave him something priceless ("The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis") is still one of my favorite episodes.

Whereas that "Dungeons and Dragons" episode with Shamy last year was AWFUL. it gave me the same creepy feeling I got watching Sheldon spank her, which was horribly out of character. I don't object to relationship plot lines that work (Howard and Bernadette hasn't been bad) but forcing these characters into lackluster pairings hasn't helped the show at all.

Part of this how's appeal is that it sends a clear message: Be yourself, and if that means not being in a sexual relationship, that's okay. Not every person is meant o be part of a duo or a group... It's okay to be a solo act! :-). And not everybody needs to be having sex all the time. There's plenty of that on TV. Thank God TBBT has never needed that to succeed!

No show is going to get 20+ million viewers on their first episode of the season in their 7th year "in spite" of anything. And syndication alone isn't going to make a show this big. If the show sucks, you can syndicate all you want and people won't stick. Not to mention, it isn't only S1-3 that is being syndicated. If people get hooked because of S1-3 but keep tuning in now, 4 seasons later, it means that the show post S4 isn't all that worse now than it was back then.  The main trick to get people coming back for more is to get them to care about where the story is going. That is why cliffhangers are a classic storytelling ploy. It isn't the relationships per-se, it's the fact that the relationships provide viewers with a reason to come back to see where it's all going. Plenty of people were probably already doing that since S1 because of Leonard and Penny.

I disagree with this... as others have pointed out, Raj & Howard played an intricate role in that meeting... He rejected the idea of it, hated it, and had to be blackmailed into it... if he had just ran into Amy at the coffee shop all on his own, he would not have spoken to her...

How do you not consider Sheldon to have made friends with Leonard on his own?  In fact, the idea of them being friends was Sheldon's idea, as he had a friendship rider in the Roommate Aggreement...

Again, Raj and Howard set up the MEETING. They didn't tell him to offer her a drink or text her on a daily basis for 4 months or stick by her even when all his friends wanted her gone. All of the others were treating Amy the same way all the other people in her life had treated her previously, minus the bullying I guess. While Sheldon and Amy owe Raj and Howard (and the dirty sock) their meeting, Amy owes her friends and current life to Sheldon. And if Amy had never changed at all from the girl she was back then, Sheldon would be the only one still sticking with her. None of the others would. 

As for Leonard, Sheldon was just looking for a roommate to start with. That is pretty clear from the way he treats Leonard in Staircase. He is completely uninterested in everything Leonard and the guys are doing, he saves Leonard's life and then just walks back into the apartment. Leonard softened Sheldon up and befriended him. If Leonard hadn't been the patient, kind guy he is, Sheldon wouldn't have become friends with him because Leonard would have probably moved out very quickly. And all the friends he made after that were Leonard's friends first. Amy was the first one he actively sought after on his own volition.

• Like 7

I think you are kind of refuting your own argument here. If his mother never gave him love then why would he want to be with a woman like his mother? Did you just mean the brains part? If so I still disagree. Leonard has all the genius type people in his life that he needs. What he needs is someone who can love and accept him (which Penny does despite minor complaints now and then) and someone who is passionate, tough, and spontaneous. Leonard has never known those things from anyone in his life. I also believe that Penny does bring out the best in him. He's more confident now. If you watched season 6 you saw the subtle changes in him as he progressed from being perpetually worried of losing her to confident she loved him. Does that mean he should start not caring if Penny is upset or if he hurt her feelings? No. He'd be a real jerk if he didn't care. So I have no problem with him worrying over the partnering up thing. I'd be worried of he didn't care.

Because we're all walking Greek tragedies ... Everybody is subconsciously looking for their mothers and fathers in their relationships, no matter how dysfunctional their relationships are. That's why, if this were real life, Sheldon would want to end up with someone more like his mother ... An unintellectual nurturer who loves him unconditionally. His Mom drives him crazy, but there is no woman he loves more.

So, frankly, he probably has a secret attraction to Penny (who is a lot like his mom). Remember the episode where she slipped and fell in the tub? When he was helping Penny dress, he had trouble letting go when he grabbed the wrong body part. And he did peek at her tattoo! Also, as terrified as he was of driving, he still did it to help Penny. She means the world to him. And he'd sooner die than admit it.

That's real chemistry. Even if they never ended up together.

But, the producers seem determined to turn Leonard and Penny into Ross and Rachel (from "Friends") so I fear we're stuck with it. I'm glad there are viewers who love Leonard with Penny. I'm just one who doesn't.

Because we're all walking Greek tragedies ... Everybody is subconsciously looking for their mothers and fathers in their relationships, no matter how dysfunctional their relationships are. That's why, if this were real life, Sheldon would want to end up with someone more like his mother ... An unintellectual nurturer who loves him unconditionally. His Mom drives him crazy, but there is no woman he loves more.

So, frankly, he probably has a secret attraction to Penny (who is a lot like his mom). Remember the episode where she slipped and fell in the tub? When he was helping Penny dress, he had trouble letting go when he grabbed the wrong body part. And he did peek at her tattoo! Also, as terrified as he was of driving, he still did it to help Penny. She means the world to him. And he'd sooner die than admit it.

But, the producers seem determined to turn Leonard and Penny into Ross and Rachel (from "Friends") so I fear we're stuck with it. I'm glad there are viewers who love Leonard with Penny. I'm just one who doesn't.

Please tell me you're joking? 

Seriously, Shennys will really grasp at anything these days. (Not you Wally! I get your brand of Shenny-ing ;) )

Edited by koops
  • Like 4

I think you are kind of refuting your own argument here. If his mother never gave him love then why would he want to be with a woman like his mother? Did you just mean the brains part? If so I still disagree. Leonard has all the genius type people in his life that he needs. What he needs is someone who can love and accept him (which Penny does despite minor complaints now and then) and someone who is passionate, tough, and spontaneous. Leonard has never known those things from anyone in his life. I also believe that Penny does bring out the best in him. He's more confident now. If you watched season 6 you saw the subtle changes in him as he progressed from being perpetually worried of losing her to confident she loved him. Does that mean he should start not caring if Penny is upset or if he hurt her feelings? No. He'd be a real jerk if he didn't care. So I have no problem with him worrying over the partnering up thing. I'd be worried of he didn't care.

Agreed. L/P roles have from mid season 6 to now. Last night was an example. Normally Leonard would have wanted to pair with Penny. In this case though she asked him and he basically said no. She asked Amy and she said no. Penny original idea of the hunt being just for fun changed so she decided she wanted to win and who was the smartest of the group Sheldon. She's always found a way with dealing with him. Leonard at this point knew he screwed up. He felt he he hurt her feelings and  tried to make amends. Bernadette used this to her advantage by suggesting Penny call him the p word to motivate Leonard to win the hunt.

• Like 2

Please tell me you're joking?  Seriously, Shennys will really grasp at anything these days. (Not you Wally! I get your brand of Shenny-ing ;) )

No, not at all. Just offering a different point of view.

And I'm not sure Penny and Sheldon should be a romantic couple ... That could be messy if the writers didn't get it right. I'm just comparing and contrasting how Penny relates to Sheldon vs. Leonard. I think she tries too hard with Leonard. That's always a sure sign the relationship is forced.

By the way, this is my first experience posting on a fan forum, so I'm not sure what a "Shenny" is. But I'm hopeful it means there are other fans like me who prefer the Sheldon/Penny scenes. :-)

I'm in the UK for the next 3 Thursdays. How do I see season 7 episodes my lovely UK members? I need to see this episode!

Here's where I go when my job interferes with my television time (stupid job). I don't download the episodes though. I just keep clicking around until I find one that plays on my iPad. Hope this helps!

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/the_big_bang_theory/

• Like 2

Seriously, Shennys will really grasp at anything these days. (Not you Wally! I get your brand of Shenny-ing ;) )

Hhm. I appear to have been permanently attached to some sort of disclaimer. Bollocks to the Shennys! (Disclaimer; not Wally). I am pondering whether I'm happy about this. As long as there's no plot afoot. I'll have no truck with plots. (end quote. Though I forgot to start it)

Weary's logic isn't really wrong. Even being a Lenny fan I do understand the sentiment. Don't totally see the R/R comparison. Sheldon and Penny are a very unique combo. But....they would eventually drive each other nuts together as a couple

• Like 1

I've been getting texts noting the "Run, Run to India" quote from Penny and I am wondering if that was random or was one of the writers' brains imprinted with "Baby Judy" lyrics when they were young(er) and (more) impressionable... sorry I missed the episode I'm only a drop in viewer (yes, I, like Raj, I suppose... suck)

No, not at all. Just offering a different point of view.

And I'm not sure Penny and Sheldon should be a romantic couple ... That could be messy if the writers didn't get it right. I'm just comparing and contrasting how Penny relates to Sheldon vs. Leonard. I think she tries too hard with Leonard. That's always a sure sign the relationship is forced.

By the way, this is my first experience posting on a fan forum, so I'm not sure what a "Shenny" is. But I'm hopeful it means there are other fans like me who prefer the Sheldon/Penny scenes. :-)

I get where you are coming from. I disagree a little bit on how you see their relationship. I don't think, as a whole, Penny has tried too hard. I would refer you to 6.2 where she still thought their relationship was all about making her happy. Up until then I would argue that Leonard was the one working too hard. That's changed now though for the better. Leonard is laying off and Penny is trying more.

As for what you said about Sheldon and Penny. I think he does care for her but like a sister. I know you aren't saying there is romance between them. I think friends do for each other what Sheldon and Penny do for each other. My only proof is me. I have a female friend who, since we were teens, is the only one who can get me to do things I don't want to or feel comfortable with. Even my parents can't. I don't love her and I know I don't love her. I know she doesn't love me either. But I would still do things that make me uncomfortable to help her if need be.

That  episode was hilarious! I think it was really clever that they mixed them up. They have such great characters that it is a pitty not to use the various combinations. So, I really hope that we get to see more of the Hamy in the fututre ( I didn't know what was the best way to call them but then I figured Hamy is Shamy without the s)! If Sheldon didn't exist I would shipping Hamy for sure!! That was my highlight of the episode and I just can't watch Amy and Howard singing together enough! Amy killed me with that Neil Mobile line!! It was so adorable that they got to bond a little because at first Howard didn't like Amy at all and I think he is the last to actually get to know who Amy really is. And as it turns out he really appreciated her. Of course it was really hard to ignore the chemistry between Mayim and Simon too. It would be a shame if we didn't get to see them more maybe in a fun episode when they hang out togehter really often - and maybe finally go to that Neil Diamond concert - and Sheldon and Bernie get a little jealous and spread the word to the whole gang and when they get confronted and make sure that they are just friends Raj and Penny get jealous instead. Just a silly thought but I like it when Penny shows her friendship to Amy. Which brings me to another fun moment when Penny nodded to Amy to make sure she used the word liability right!! I loved that!!

But as a Shamy girl I was delighted to see Amy and Sheldon doing that little dance on the couch! God I like Penny but I just kept wishing she wasn't there! Who am I kidding having Amy and Sheldon looking at each other, laughing at each other, dancing a little and Penny in the middle with that face not finding Raj's singing funny was precious! And Sheldon was really cute when the first thing he did was to look at Amy!! And it is always cute when Amy says something that is completely true and completely sad from her past that makes everybody awkward and Sheldon gives her a kind of curious look to her. I am refering to the fist scene when Amy said that she found scavenger hunts really hard because noone wanted to be in a team with her ( and now Penny wants to be in a team with Amy and Amy doesn't I call that progress LOL ). I also enjoyed the jokes about the universities ( Sheldon was so funny!!).

Bernie and Leonard were really funny too!!!Bernadette is really competitive and if she wasn't so sweet in general I think I would be annoyed. But I wasn't she was just hilarious!!!! I wasn't crazy about Sheldon and Penny. Usually, that combination is either funny or really sweet but now it was as if they were what was left. We needed to see Amy and Howard bond we never got a chance to see Leonard and Bernie interact much so we are left with Sheldon and Penny. They were funny but I would have enjoyed a Lenny team kicking the ass of Bernie-Sheldon team. Hamy didn't even care about the scavenger as long as Neil Diamond music kept playing!!

I liked that episode and I am crossin my fingers for more Hamy and Shamy moments in the future!!!!!

That episode set the standard pretty high and I hope it will keep that way!!

• Like 1

I don't think they ruined Leonard's character development.  While people do grow, they don't 360 completely.  Leonard will always have a bit of a complex around Penny (or anyone for that matter).  Some things are just ingrained into one's psyche.

But he had finally begun to see himself as an equal in the relationship... after the thing with Sheldon's assistant Alex, Leonard finally saw that even Penny had her insecurities as well... he saw she did indeed have chinks in her armor, and it brought them closer... one of the things Penny has always asked of Leonard is to just be himself and to not change for him... she HATES when he does that... he had shown so much more confidence in who he was and in his role in the relationship, and now he just flushed it all down the toilet with his "I'm going to quit the game because she's mad at me..."  If he had quit, she would have royally pissed at him... it's like he's forgotten all the growth he's accomplished in their relationship... it was a massive over-correction on his part and I thought he had finally gotten over that stage... apparently not...

Howard + Amy... how about we go by last names... Fowlowitz...

But he had finally begun to see himself as an equal in the relationship... after the thing with Sheldon's assistant Alex, Leonard finally saw that even Penny had her insecurities as well... he saw she did indeed have chinks in her armor, and it brought them closer... one of the things Penny has always asked of Leonard is to just be himself and to not change for him... she HATES when he does that... he had shown so much more confidence in who he was and in his role in the relationship, and now he just flushed it all down the toilet with his "I'm going to quit the game because she's mad at me..."  If he had quit, she would have royally pissed at him... it's like he's forgotten all the growth he's accomplished in their relationship... it was a massive over-correction on his part and I thought he had finally gotten over that stage... apparently not...

I sort of agree with Kasey on this one. Leonard always overthinks. He seemed to regain his senses when Bernie said that Penny thinks he's whimpy (although Penny never said that and I'm not using the exact word) and was ready for a confrontation with Penny.

I think that it was just true to Leonard's nature that he would worry that he had hurt Penny's feelings.

Even though he has indeed gained more confidence and is more secure now that they've finally gotten on the mutual-ILY page, that doesn't mean that his insecurity or his concern for Penny's feelings will suddenly vanish.

While he has begun to assert himself more in the relationship, he's never really "rejected" her before in this kind of way.  While he tried to couch his objection to pairing with her for the hunt in his "sure, couples would be great" statement, she saw right through him and was a little peeved about it.

Since Leonard "always overthinks things" when it comes to Penny--he even worried about going on the North Sea trip, if you recall--he started dwelling on her miffed response and let that obsession push his Insecurity Button.

But that's just who he is, and it made the pairing with Barracuda Bernie that much funnier.  IMO.

• Like 1

Like I said, yes, Raj could not talk when sober but drinking is pretty big in Britain, and a guy like him, with all those ideas for parties and stuff, would have been one of the most popular ones at Cambridge.

But didn't Raj discover he could talk to women while drunk when Penny prepared him that green drink at her appartment when she was practicing to bar-tend?

While I understand what you're saying about our subconscious leanings toward our parents ("I want a girl just like the girl that married dear old dad") I think that if we are at all self-aware, we can also choose to seek out someone better than our parents, especially if we are aware of their failings.

Since Leonard understands the dynamics of his mother's cold version of parenting, he specifically does not want to replicate his parents' marriage.  He doesn't want to end up like his father, needing a hugging machine to get through life.

We've talked a lot about how Sheldon says that he wishes he had had Leonard's mother and how Leonard loves Sheldon's mother.  JG & JP have even talked about how they've discussed on the show how the guys each appreciate each other's mothers more than their own.

BUT, while Leonard might have loved to have grown up with Mrs. Cooper, it's pretty obvious that Sheldon would never get Mrs. Hofstadter to sing Soft Kitty to him.  If he got sick she'd probably just tell him to "Buck up."

At any rate, Leonard's attraction to Penny is complicated, I think.  Some people like to insist that he's only attracted to her body or that they're only together for the sex, which is not at all true, IMO.

I think that Penny is smart in her own way and that somehow he understands that, but also once she got to know him and the guys, once she saw past their geekiness and saw them as real people, she understood right away that Leonard was a really good guy who was willing to help her and treat her like a real person and not just like a sex toy.

Though he was obviously attracted to her, he didn't press his advantage in those moments when he could have.  He wasn't looking to use her the way so many of her past boyfriends had.  He was a real person, kind and compassionate and patient.

As for Sheldon and Amy, like koops has pointed out, they were each other's "only human in a world of dogs".  Or, to borrow from TXF, they were each other's "one in five billion".  No one else can understand what it is they see in each other--the girls don't quite get why Amy puts up with him and doesn't look elsewhere, especially now that she's come out of her shell, and the guys don't quite get why Sheldon is attracted to Amy because she isn't what any of them would imagine as "girlfriend" material.  But then again, none of them understands what it was that bound them in the first place.

Amy might have been supposedly looking for someone to date--primarily in order to appease her mother, not because she was actively seeking a romance, which, at the time, she found pointless--but she wasn't really seeking a long-term boyfriend.

Sheldon wasn't seeking anybody or anything.  He simply went to the coffeeshop to meet her because he was being blackmailed.

That he immediately saw something kindred in her was completely unexpected by either of them.  But as he himself said, she's more like him than anyone else.  And one could argue that Amy shares some characteristics with Sheldon's mother in that she gives him the affection he pretends he doesn't need and she can hold his feet to the fire when needed, making him be honest with her, to offer a real apology, etc.

At any rate, Penny is like Sheldon's mother and sister--comforting and understanding, helping him interpret the real world in way that his fellow nerds cannot--but she is definitely not a sexual/romantic factor in his life.  And neither of them wants that from each other.

I think the writers have done a really great job of revealing the characters little by little, having them grow beyond who they were when first introduced (including Amy and Bernie) and having them all influence each other's growth.

ANd I think last night's episode was a fantastic example of this.

• Like 6