The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PaleLeper

If The Writers Broke Up Penny And Leonard

Considering the rollercoaster ride of the Leonard and Penny relationship, would you lose faith in the show if the writers decided to break them up again?  I only write this because in other shows of this style, the two people you hope to get together in the end do not always end up as such, i.e. "The Wonder Years".   So that being considered, what would be your reaction?

Kevin and Winnie on "The Wonder Years" were 12 years old when they started their friendship/relationship. That they did not end up together was not a big upset.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

The only way I can see the writers justifying breaking up Leonard and Penny is something massive from Penny's past arised or Leonard finds out Penny wanted to break up with him, but that would pointless bringing that back up, it is irrelevant to where they are now. Or they want to do what they did with R & R in Friends "the well they or won't they" scenario, but I think that is an overdone sitcom premise, my main preferance would be for them to go through issues as a couple, but keep working on their relationship and dealing with them together. Also maybe this season to gain a balance, maybe the Leonard and Penny could go through some stuff like family stuff, career stuff e.t.c. And come back to their SO's and see how it affects their relationships. But I see no break up, maybe if Leonard goes on another trip again, or Penny goes home to nebraska, so long distance but other then that no break up I hope!

• Like 2

Considering the rollercoaster ride of the Leonard and Penny relationship, would you lose faith in the show if the writers decided to break them up again?  I only write this because in other shows of this style, the two people you hope to get together in the end do not always end up as such, i.e. "The Wonder Years".   So that being considered, what would be your reaction?

I don't know if in the big picture it hurts the show, but I know it would upset me.  Although you could argue that BBT had its highest rating with them together so take that for what it is worth.  After season 6 there just doesn't seem to be any logical reason to break them up again.  The writers had some excellent character development for both of them that would be a shame to waste.  I suppose you could force a reason such as infidelity but I think that would strain credibility.  After all the ups and downs and dating other people...that the writers have these two still want to be together has to count for something.  Besides, I couldn't stand the whole Ross and Rachel thing on Friends although I like BBT much more than Friends.  In the end I quit caring what happened with those two and I don't want that to happen here.

Edited by JonRS92
  • Like 3

I would be more surprised than upset.