The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 7 Ratings Thread.

Thanks Tensor. 

I watched The Millers and it was quite funny...

Thanks Tensor. 

I watched The Millers and it was quite funny...

I agree--I actually liked that show and found myself laughing out loud at a lot of spots--and then finding The Crazy Ones to be kind of labored, like they're trying too hard and Robin Williams can't seem to talk with a normal voice because he's on "maniac" setting all the time.

If The Millers continues to have funny scripts, it could do very well with TBBT as a lead in.

• Like 1

Final numbers are in and adjusted up. 5.2 (up two tenths)in the demo, with 18.22 million viewers( up 470,000). While that is down from last week, it is still the sixth highest number of viewers ever. These came in late, I have rehearsal and will do the full final report when I get home tonight.

• Like 7

Final numbers are in and adjusted up. 5.2 (up two tenths)in the demo, with 18.22 million viewers( up 470,000). While that is down from last week, it is still the sixth highest number of viewers ever. These came in late, I have rehearsal and will do the full final report when I get home tonight.

Just read 18.22 mill was the most watched episode of it's time slot of the night, and the best performed episode of the week in the key adults 18-49 demographic demo. 18 Mill is awesome though, if you compare it to Season one, 18 mill in a 3rd episode would be really impressive. Even HIMYM has never hit that high in 9 seasons's not sure why that it is but anyway. Although down by 0.77 mill from last week, and down three tenths from last week's 5.5, it is still great that TBBT finished first by all key rating's, and was the night's most watched and highest-rated show. 

Ok, here we go on the finals. TBBT had a 5.2 with 18.22 million. That made it the high in viewers and demo for the night. Second and third in demo were Scandal, at 3.6 and the Millers at 3.0. In viewers second and third were The Millers, with 13.09 and The Crazy Ones with 11.71. As a note the highest other show in TBBT time slot was The X Factor at 2.0 and 7.13. I mentioned last week that we will see how well The Crazy Ones did without TBBT lead in. It lost a full rating point in the demo and just under four million viewers although both the demo and number of viewers were higher than The Millers (3.9, 15,52 million).

Total viewers were lower than last week, by about 5% (18.99-18.22)(I'm talking about the 8 PM show, the 8:30 show was out of the timeslot, although that was up over 74% over the Season Premiere of Two and a Half Men last year.), but was still the sixth highest ever. All six episodes that have the highest number of viewers have come in 2013. Three in the spring of last year, and the first three episodes this year. In demo, it was down ~6% (5.5-5.2) and Year over Year (for the third episode) the show was up 28% in viewers (14.23-18.22) and up 15% in demo (4.5-5.2).

So far this year, after three episodes, the demo average is up 16%(4.8-5.6) and viewers are up 27% (15.02-19.22, yes that's 19.22 million for Live + Same Day, and yes that is up over four million viewers, these numbers are just silly). For an interesting comparison, on Thursday night,at 8 PM, against TBBT, "Parks and Recreation" had 3.14 million viewers, total.

I have been doing the weekly comparisons here, but I will start doing those comparisons on Tuesday, when we get the weekly results.

Tensor

• Like 6

Tuesday, October 8,2013. Weekly Rankings

I'm going to start out saying there were not Live + 7 results yesterday. They are released on Monday, but they are released two weeks after the report period ends. Not the beginning. So apologies if anyone was expecting those

There are a couple of things in the ratings this week that I am not counting, as they are the run over of the Football games. Since this isn't something that is normal, I'm going to ignore them as ratings. Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo for the week and NCIS had the most viewers.  TBBT, was number 3 demo and number 2 in viewers.  The only other show to be in the top 5 in both was SNF, which was #5 in viewers. The top ten follows.

Show                             18-49       18-49 viewers

SNF                            7.0            8,875,000

SNF Pregame             5.2            6,609,000

TBBT                          5.2            6,584,000

The Voice  (Mon)        4.7            5.922,000

The Voice  (Tue)         4.5            5,697,000

Modern Family             4.2            5,369,000

SNF Night in America   4.1            5,211,000

60 Minutes                    3.8            5,936,000

Scandal                         3.6            5,215,000

NCIS                             3.5            4,912,000

I mentioned last week that we would see how The Crazy Ones did without TBBT lead in, well, it dropped from a 3.9 to a 2.9 in demo. And it went from 15.5 to 11.7 million viewers ( a drop of almost four million viewers). However, TCO did have a higher demo than The Millers by over a half a point (3.9-3.6) and had over 2 million more viewers (15.5 to 13.1 million) It's also interesting to point out that TCO were only 1.3 million behind The Millers this week. This gives an idea of just how much help TBBT gives to a following series.

Total Viewers

Show                                       Total viewers

NCIS                                      19,978,000

TBBT                                     18,216.000

60 Minutes                             17,939.000

SNF                                       17,686.000

NCIS:LA                                 15,086,000

The Voice  (Mon)                    14,539,000

The Voice  (Tue)                     14,119,000

SNF Pregame                         13,285.000

Dancing With the Stars           13,100,000

The Millers                              13,093.000

In total viewers, TBBT finished behind NCIS by 1.7 million viewers. As TBBT usually has ~2 million more viewers than NCIS in Live + 7, it will be close for the #1 show, once those numbers come in. One very interesting thing is that Sunday Night Football finished FOURTH in viewers, something that I can't remember seeing. It's almost a constant in the top 2 (with an occasional drop to #3), but fourth is new. 60 Minutes is on the list for the first time, mostly due to the football run over.

I mentioned last week that we would have to watch the gains from DVR viewers as TBBT was probably going to surpass SNF for the number one spot, after including DVR viewers. Well, TBBT passed Sunday Night Football when the Live + 3 was numbers came out. It also picked up 1.8 demo points to move to number one in demo also.

We'll cover Syndication tomorrow.  

Tensor

• Like 5

The poor performance of SNF this week was a fluke, but not all that unexpected. NBC has to pick which game is going to be on SNF each week before the beginning of the season and has to try to pick games which will draw maximum interest. Before the season started Houston and San Francisco were both promising, SF had made it to the Super Bowl and Houston had an outstanding regular season in 2012, but once the season started both teams had rather lackluster performances, so the games didn't draw in that many viewers outside of the team fan-bases, which are on the small side since neither of them are the most popular team in their area. Odds are SNF will top total viewers again next week.

I don't see how that explains it. Last year their average was over 24 million a week. Big Bang couldn't come close to that( on a regular basis or in average) even including the Live + 7. This year, the live + same day for SNF is currently only about 50,000 more viewers than the Live + same day of TBBT. And, any of the plus numbers , for TBBT, are larger than SNF, even the demo numbers are larger. I want to say that I'm away from my computer and the numbers for SNF are a rough estimate, but still much lower on average than last year.

Generally SNF games are the Headline games of the week, tough match-ups, long standing rivalries, playoff contenders, and the most popular teams in the NFL. When NBC picked Houston vs. San Francisco they thought it would be a good match-up that would draw in viewers who weren't Houston or San Francisco fans, but both teams started the season 2-2 instead of the 4-0 or 3-1 that most people expected before the season started, so a bunch of people didn't bother to turn on what promised to be an average game between two mediocre teams.

Edit: Plus there were baseball playoff games on at the time, like my LA Dodgers beating on the Atlanta Braves.

Edited by Occam's Chainsaw

OK, I'm home and looked.  First off, when I was doing my quick estimate, I missed the opening Sunday Night Football game.  The reason being it was on Thursday night.   There are generally baseball games through at least mid October, so that doesn't really matter in comparing season to season.  It can affect the season to season comparison towards the end of October, if the baseball playoffs run longer.

So far, after six games, SNF is down, on average, by over a million viewers.  The real interesting part is that it is down by over a half a ratings point, in demo.   Last year, after six games, the average number of viewers was at 22.5 million, this year, its at 21.5 (as an interesting side light, if you take out the Thursday game, for each season, the difference in viewers climbs to 1.7 million per game.  This years first game had more viewers than last year)   In terms of demo, the difference last year (9.1) to this year (8.5) is 0.6 (again, if you take out the first game, the different becomes 0.8, (9.0 to 8.2).  

The addition of the first game and some more accurate numbers shows the difference between SNF(21.6) and TBBT (19.3) is now over 2 million and in demo the difference is 2.9 (SNF 8.5 and TBBT 5.6) from my previous post.

We could blame SNF decline on the general trend, in broadcast television, downward (Interestingly, both this week's game and the same date last year were the first SNF games to go below 20 million), as the declines are within errors of the percentage decline for SNF.   However, that just make the numbers TBBT is putting up all that much more impressive.   Total viewers are up, on average, over 4 million (up 27 %) and up in demo 0.8 (17%) from last year.

I just saw that the Live + three day increase, for DVR viewers, for 7.03,  was the highest ever for TBBT.  4.39 million, bringing the three day total to 22.61 Million.   With that number, TBBT is averaging 4.18 million additional viewers through three days.  In total viewers, after three days, it is averaging almost 23 and a half million viewers (23.4).    Those are the three day totals.  Last year, the LIVE + 7 average, after the first three shows was 19 million, with an increase in viewers of just under four million.      This year's three day DVR lift is averaging more than last year's seven day DVR lift.     In the demo, last year's Live + 7 average, after three episodes, was 6.6.  This year's Live + 3 average is  7.4, and increase of almost a point, in less time.  

• Like 2

Week 2 Syndication Ratings 11 October 2013

OK, don't know what happened here, I wrote this, but must not have hit post on Wednesday. So, here goes with the syndicated ratings for week 2. Judge Judy (JJ) was number 1 in households for week two with a 6.9 rating. Number 2 was Wheel of Fortune (WF) with a 6.6 and Jeopardy was #3 with 6.0. In total viewers, WF lead with 10.4 million viewers, JJ was number 2 with 9.3 million and Jeopardy was #3 at 9.2 million. TBBT was number four in both with a 5.9 in households and 9.0 million viewers. The weekend edition finished in 6th with a 4.5 household rating with 7.3 million viewers. Syndicated telecasts are below where they finished last year, although nothing notable year to year. Rating for TBBT will be low or non=existent as TBS will have the Baseball playoffs.

As a note, Modern Family premiered this week in syndication with a 4.1 household rating and 6.1 million viewers. The weekend version had a 2.8 household rating with 4.3 million viewers. While below TBBT this week, it is also below the premier numbers of TBBT.

Overnights 11 October, 2013

The overnights are out and TBBT had a 4.9 demo, down three tenths with 17.19 million viewers, down about . It was the highest rated demo (by over a point and a half(1.8.) and the most viewers(by five and a quarter million). Again, TBBT had just under 50% of viewers at 8:00 PM. As a note, "The Crazy Ones", which last week had a 3.9 demo, with TBBT as a lead in dropped to a 2.9 last week and dropped another half a point this week to 2. "The Millers" did respectable this week. It lost two tenths of a point from last week, but TBBT lost three tenths, so The Millers retained more audience than they did last week. A full report will be put up later, after the Thursday finals are available. Historically, TBBT increases by 1-3 tenths in demo and 500-750 thousand viewers when the finals come out. We'll see how that works this week, just about all the shows are down this week, so I'll look at the percentage drop then.

Tensor

• Like 5

Latest Ratings are interesting and hopefully TBBT will get adjusted up.

Thanks

Tensor

I think they will, but in viewers, there were about a million less and demo was down 2 tenths from last week's overnights. TBBT had an 18 share, in demo, two points higher than last week. That means that, of the people with their TV on, 18% of them were watching TBBT, equal to all the other broadcast shows. Last week, the total of the other shows shares were three tenths higher than TBBT. So, while the raw numbers seem to be down, they are down for all the shows, and in general, down more than TBBT.

Yeah but Glee did have their tribute to Cory last night so that might alter ratings...

Yeah but Glee did have their tribute to Cory last night so that might alter ratings...

Not that much. It was only up 1.2 in demo, but less than three million in viewers. If anything, it allowed the night to be higher than it would have been. And, since it was at 9 PM, it doesn't affect TBBT theory.

Not that much. It was only up 1.2 in demo, but less than three million in viewers. If anything, it allowed the night to be higher than it would have been. And, since it was at 9 PM, it doesn't affect TBBT theory.

Oops I thought it was on at 8pm.  Reminder to self:  check facts before posting...

Ok, here we go on the finals. TBBT had a 5.1 with 17.64 million. That made it the high in viewers and demo for the night. Second and third in demo were Scandal, at 3.1 and the Millers at 3.0. In viewers second and third were The Millers, with 11.73 and The Crazy Ones with 9.69. As a note the highest other show in TBBT time slot was The X Factor at 2.0 and 6.94. An interesting sidelight, Total Viewers for NBC for the entire night was 12.75 million viewers with a total 4.2 demo. NBC's totals for the night were ~5 million viewers less and almost a full ratings point below TBBT.

Total viewers were lower than last week, by about 4% (18.22-17.64), In demo, it was down ~2% (5.2-5.1) and Year over Year (for the third episode) the show was up 12% in viewers (15.73-17.64) and up 6% in demo (5.1-4. 8).

So far this year, after four episodes, the demo average is up 15%(4.8-5.5) and viewers are up %23 (15.20-18.82)

I'm going to have to check, but I think, so far this year, TBBT is the only entertainment show to break a 5 in the demo, I know it is the only one to break a 6.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 3

TBBT is rolling on a total HIGH! We have to start thinking 12 or 13 years! Oh no can't stop on the #13! At least 14 years!

Actually, it kicked its ass. That 5.0 rating is for households, TBBT had a 10.8 household rating, more than double the football game. That 5.1 for TBBT is only counting those that are 18-49, and can't be directly compared to the household rating.

Actually, it kicked its ass. That 5.0 rating is for households, TBBT had a 10.8 household rating, more than double the football game. That 5.1 for TBBT is only counting those that are 18-49, and can't be directly compared to the household rating.

I didn't want to roar to loud about TBBT doing better in household rating due to my mom telling us while growing up that you don't need to be mean to someone when you come in first. You can be happy for everyone that did good.  Darn that home training! lol

Hope you don't mind tensor but here are the final preliminary numbers for Thursday night like you listed above, TBBT dominating rating's in almost every network, finished with a 5.1 in 19-49 demographic rating share, and 17.64 viewers in million's http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/10/11/thursday-final-ratings-the-big-bang-theory-the-x-factor-the-vampire-diaries-the-millers-adjusted-down/208377/. Looking at these numbers why is it that TBBT rating's are consistently above 17 million? Looking at the other shows, TBBT seem's to have 10 million more in audience over all network's and shows of the night, really incredible really.

Not sure why you posted the final numbers again, I had all the final numbers in post 64. Along with the various comparisons.

As for the ratings, I wish I knew why. I could have my own series on TV if I knew why.

Edited by Tensor