The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 7 Ratings Thread.

Not sure why you posted the final numbers again, I had all the final numbers in post 64. Along with the various comparisons.

As for the ratings, I wish I knew why. I could have my own series on TV if I knew why.

haha sorry I skipped that page haven't seen your numbers my bad, I just saw this link and thought it was interesting.

Week 4 Live + 7 14 October, 2013

Based on week 1 ratings.

OK, the following numbers are so ridiculous that I've been looking at these things and just shaking my head. The first week Live + 7 numbers came out a bit early. These were the premier week numbers.

For the 8 PM show (7.01 The Hofstadter Insufficiency), total viewers ended up at 24.16 million viewers, which was a series high for TBBT. The lift (number of viewers watching on DVR over the last seven days) came in at 5.17 million, which was a series high for lift. In terms of demo, there was a 2.3 point increase, tying the highest ever for the show. This gave the 8 PM show a total demo of 7.8. That was not a series high, as TBBT hit 8.0 or higher three times last year, hitting the high of 8.3 for The Bakersfield Expedition

Those new series highs did not last long. At 8:30 PM, 7.02 The Deception Verification had a total of 26.15 million viewers on a lift of 5.71 million viewers. Both are series highs. In terms of demo, there was a lift of 2.5 points to a total of 8.6. Again, both series highs.

What has to be remembered is that the series highs were set in the November-February time frame when TV viewing is at it's height. This show is currently setting series highs in, what was last year, the least viewed part of the year. If, and this is a huge if, considering how high it's viewership is already at, it picks up the four and a half million viewers it did between the premier and the viewing high in January, it has a chance to hit 30 million viewers for at least a show.

For the week, TBBT was at number one and two for demo with the 8.6 (8:30 PM) and 7.8 (8 PM. In third place was Marvel:Agents of SHIELD with a 7.0. The closest half hour comedy was Modern Family at 6.2. For viewers, TBBT was number one and number three with 26.15 million (8:30 PM) and 24.16 million (8 PM). NCIS was in between the two in second with 24.67 million. The closest half hour comedy was, The Crazy Ones which had over 19 million, but as it followed the second half hour of TBBT, it's starting point was rather out of the normal. The highest half hour comedy, without an assist from TBBT was, again, Modern Family, with 15.94 million viewers.

Compared to the first two weeks of last year, viewer lift was up 40%(3.86-5.44 million) and demo lift was up 33%(1.8-2.4). Total viewers was up 30% (19.28-25.15 million) and total demo was up 22% (6.7-8.2)

A couple of comparisons. This past Thursday, NBC aired new episodes of Parks and Recreation at 8 PM and Welcome to the Family at 8:30 PM. Their total combined live + SD total viewers was 5.72 million and a demo of 2.0. The LIFT ALONE for the second half hour of premier week for TBBT (7.02 The Deception Verification was 5.71 million with a demo of 2.5. So, counting only DVR viewers for TBBT, it was within 10,000 viewers of the total for the two shows and beat the demo by a half a point.

The 20.44 million of Live + SD viewers for the 8:30 PM show was more than any shows Live + 7, except for NCIS (which hit 24 million) Also, that TBBT show had a 6.1 demo for the Live + SD. Marvel: Agents of SHEILD, at 7.0 and Modern Family at 6.2 were the only shows to beat TBBT Live + SD demo rating with their Live + 7.

The last four shows in 2012-2013 were highest four lifts the show has ever had. It hit 5 million once and the average for those four shows was 4.8 million. For the first two episodes this year, both hit five million and their average is 5.44 million, up 600,000 viewers. One could say that the trend in DVR viewing is up (over ten series hit four million DVR viewers), but a 40% increase in DVR viewers and an almost 30% increase of Live viewers is way too high, with what is happening in the industry. That TBBT is accomplishing this, is just simply amazing.

I mentioned earlier this year that SNF did not usually gain much in DVR viewing. It's original numbers were 20.49 million viewers with a demo of 7.6. It's Live + 7 numbers were 21.00 million with a 7.6 demo. Up about 500,000 viewers and no gain in the demo (there was a gain, ~1% it was just so small it didn't change rating point numbers).

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 6

Preliminary 30 second spot ad rates for 2013-2014

Ok, I've got to do some research to get the whole post up, but 30 second spot rates were released today and TBBT is the number one entertainment program at $326,000 (up 51,000). This is quite a bit below what I thought, but it appears ad rates dropped drastically this year. So an increase of 51,000 per spot is quite an achievement. There was some talk at the up fronts that sales were soft, this pretty much confirms it. The top show was Sunday Night Football at $570,000(+25,000) per spot.

Those shows above 200,000 per spot, starting with the second place show was The Voice (Monday) at $265,000 (up +24,000), third was Modern Family at $257,500 (-73,000), The Simpsons at $256,000 (-30,000), New Girl 231,500 (-89,000), The Voice (Tuesday) 229,000 (+4,000), Family Guy 223,000 (-53,000), Grey's Anatomy 206,000 (-20,000), Two and a Half Men 204,000 (-43,000) and Scandal 201,000 (+62,000).

The number of show above 250,000 per spot this year dropped by 2 to five. The number of shows above 200,000 per spot went from 16 to 10. Many of the shows are below and far below what they were last year and many fell hard. Another post on this will be here Thursday with analysis, I just wanted to get the numbers out there. A word of warning, these are estimates, and although quite close, do not think these numbers are actual prices, the networks hold them closely.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1

Tuesday, October 15,2013. Weekly Rankings Week 3

There are a couple of things in the ratings this week that I am not counting, as they are the run over of the Football games. Since this isn't something that is normal, I'm going to ignore them as ratings. Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo and had the most viewers for the week.  TBBT, was number 2 demo and number 3 in viewers, pretty much where it was most of last year.  The top ten in demo follows.

Show                             18-49       18-49 viewers

SNF                            8.4            10,670,000

TBBT                          5.1            6,528,000

The Voice  (Mon)        4.6            5.884,000

SNF Pregame             4.5            5,682,000

Modern Family             3.9            4,950,000

The Blacklist                  3.1            3,931,000

Scandal                         3.1            3,928,000

The Millers                   3.0            3,860,000

The Voice   (Tue)         3.0            3,842,000

How I Met Your Mother 3.0            3,805,000

I mentioned last week that The Crazy Ones, without TBBT lead in, dropped from a 3.9 to a 2.9 in demo and it dropped another half a point this week And it went from 15.5 to 11.7 million viewers ( a drop of almost four million viewers) and this week, dropped another 2 million viewers.

Total Viewers

Show                                       Total viewers

SNF                                      22,074,000

NCIS                                      18,328,000

TBBT                                     17,636.000

NCIS:LA                                 14,635,000

The Voice  (Mon)                    14,839,000

Dancing With the Stars           13,100,000

SNF Pregame                         11,775.000

The Millers                              11,729.000

Person of Interest                   11,652.000

The Blacklist                            11,184.000

In total viewers, TBBT finished behind SNF by 4.4 million and NCIS by 700,000 viewers. As TBBT usually has ~4.5+ million more viewers than SNF in Live + 7, it will again be close for the #1 show. As TBBT usually has 2 million more than NCIS, it should be that easily, once those numbers come in. SNF returned to it's number one spot in Live + SD for demo and total viewers.

We'll cover Syndication tomorrow.  

Tensor

Encore Ratings, Monday 14 October, 2013

Monday had all new shows, except for an Encore run of "The Closet Reconfiguration". Ratings for this was a 2.2 demo and 8.49 million viewers. It finished sixth in demo (there were 13 total shows) and fifth in total viewers. It's 2.2 was higher than the cancelled "We Are Men" demo of 1.9 and it had 2.5 million more viewers. Although it was down about a ratings point and about 2 million viewers from the encore ratings last year. Those shows were encores of the then current season and were not going again The Voice. So, once CBS starts rerunning season seven shows, and the fall voice is over, we'll see how the ratings react.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the numbers for 7.05

There may be a delay tomorrow or possibly a very brief post until the finals come out. I'll be spending most of the day at the hospital (I've got various tests scheduled) and when the post gets put up is going to depend on the timing of my tests.

There may be a delay tomorrow or possibly a very brief post until the finals come out. I'll be spending most of the day at the hospital (I've got various tests scheduled) and when the post gets put up is going to depend on the timing of my tests.

Oh nah that's all good Ten, really appreciate the effort you put into the rating's and the number's, take all the time you need. 

Overnites 18 October, 2013

Ok, overnights are in and TBBT pulled down a 4.9 with 17.2 million viewers. Those historically have gone up, so I expect a 5+ in the demo, and ~ 17.75 million in total viewers. I don't have FOX's numbers yet, so no quick comparisons. Will watch for the finals.

• Like 2

Thursday Final Ratings 18 October 2013

As expected, TBBT rose three tenths in the demo to a 5.2 rating. It increased by 600,000 viewers to 17.8 million(cough, cough, see post above, 17.75 million). It beat last week's demo 5.2 -5.1(+4%) and viewers 17. 80 - 17.64(+1%).

TBBT was the leader in viewers and demo. Second and third in viewers were The Millerswith 12.27 and Scandal with 9.51 million viewers. In demo, Scandal came in second with a 3.3 rating and The Millers was third with a 3.2. The next highest rating in TBBT slot was the baseball playoffs with a 2.5. All the scripted shows were under a 2.

Compared to the fifth episode last year (The Holographic Excitation), Ratings were up two tenths 5.0-5.2(4%) and up by two million viewers 15.8-17.8 (13%). Overall, for the year, after five episodes, demo average is up six tenths, 4.8-5.4 (12%) and up over three and a quarter million viewers, 15.32-18.62(22%). Last week demo was up by 15% and viewers by 23%.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 6

The yearly comparisons have been added to the Thursday final ratings post. Some of the Live + 7 have been released, I'll do the post Monday morning when all of the Live + 7 have been released.

• Like 1

Week 4 Live + 7 14 October, 2013

Based on week 2 ratings.

The total lift (number of viewers watching on DVR over the last seven days) for this episode, was 5.48 million. In terms of demo, there was a 2.4 point increase, one tenth below the record set by 7.02. With the 2.4 demo increase, the total demo for this episode was a 7.6 and total viewers were 23.60.

For the week, TBBT was at number one for demo with the 7.6. Second place was Modern Family at 6.2 and third was Monday's The Voice. For viewers, TBBT was the number 2 show with 23.60 million viewers. Number one was NCIS with 24.22 million and third was NCIS:LA with 18.21 Million. The closest half hour comedy was Modern Family, with 15.21 million viewers. In terms of demo lift, the top three were TBBT with 2.4, The Blacklistwith 2.2 and a tie between Marvel: Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and Sleepy Hollow at 2.1. The top three in terms of viewer lift were The Blacklistwith 6.50 million, TBBT with 5.48 million, and Marvel: Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. with 4.83 million.

Compared to the first three weeks of last year, viewer lift was up 34%(4.05-5.45 million) and demo lift was up 33%(1.8-2.4). Total viewers was up 29% (19.07-24.67 million) and total demo was up 21% (6.6-8.0)

A couple of comparisons. Last week, the two NBC comedies that run between 8-9 PM had a few more viewers, but were a half point below the TBBT LIFT in demo. This week, the two comedies had 5.69 million viewers and a demo of 2.2. TBBT lift was 5.48 million viewers and a 2.4 demo lift.

The 18.22 million of Live + SD viewers was more than any shows Live + 7, except for NCIS (which again hit 24 million) TBBT show had a 5.2 demo for the Live + SD. TBBT Live + SD demo rating was higher than all but five shows Live + 7.

The last four shows in 2012-2013 were highest four lifts the show has ever had. It hit 5 million once and the average for those four shows was 4.8 million. For the first three episodes this year, all three hit five million and their average is 5.45 million, up 600,000 viewers.

I mentioned earlier this year that SNF did not usually gain much in DVR viewing. It's original numbers were 22.07 million viewers and there is some diffrence in various sources for the demo. I've seen 8.4, 7.0, and 7.5. If it is one of the latter two, TBBT beat SNF in both viewers and demo with the Live + 7 numbers.

• Like 2

Tensor has tbbt ever beaten friends at their highest ratings?

No, and it never will. As I pointed out in another thread, there was a show, in 1972 with a 20.8 household rating for the year and it finished 19th. Last year, TBBT was the #2 scripted show with a 10.2 rating. In 2004, the number 9 show was CSI: Miami with 18.0 million viewers, Friends was #5 with 22.5 million viewers. This year, TBBT is the #3 show in viewers, with 18.62. The landscape of television is just too different to do a meaningful comparison. Not to mention there just isn't enough broadcast viewers to match the numbers of even five years ago.

There is a website "Spotted Ratings" that uses some calculations that allow it to compare seasons after 2000. There, the top season is the final season of Friends, with the adjusted calculated number of 300. Last year, TBBT had the highest rated season since, at 249. As much as TBBT has grown this year, along with the shrinking number of people watching broadcast television, TBBT has a chance of getting close or beating Friends with the adjusted number.

Edited by Tensor

No, and it never will. As I pointed out in another thread, there was a show, in 1972 with a 20.8 household rating for the year. Last year, TBBT was the #2 scripted show with a 10.2 rating. In 2004, the number 9 show was CSI: Miami with 18.0 million viewers, Friends was #5 with 22.5 million viewers. This year, TBBT is the #3 show in viewers, with 18.62. The landscape of television is just too different to do a meaningful comparison. Not to mention there just isn't enough broadcast viewers to match the numbers of even five years ago.

There is a website "Spotted Ratings" that uses some calculations that allow it to compare seasons after 2000. There, the top season is the final season of Friends, with the adjusted calculated number of 300. Last year, TBBT had the highest rated season since, at 249. As much as TBBT has grown this year, along with the shrinking number of people watching broadcast television, TBBT has a chance of getting close or beating Friends with the adjusted number.

That's true Ten and I also think Social and Digital Media has played a big part in the lost of tv viewership since 2004. Most people watch their show's online these day's their never used to be Twitter or Facebook, or online streaming e.t.c. So that has played a big part too I think, Friend's I think is probably the most succesfull comedy in it's genre ever, but that's arguable. I am not sure too that Friend's finished #1 for it's time slot consistently like TBBT has the past 4-5 week's, I remember Friend's consistently was in the Top ten, but like you said the landscape of tv was very different then, the decreasing number of broadcast viewer's has dropped since Season Four, considering all this the rating's are pretty remarkable, I remember Friend's got over 50 million in Season Three for TOW Football, probably my all time favorite episode from any sitcom, but of course their was no social or digital media then.  

Edited by 3ku11

I remember Friend's got over 50 million in Season Three for TOW Football, probably my all time favorite episode from any sitcom, but of course their was no social or digital media then.

In the other thread, I pointed out that the final episode of MASH, hit 125 million viewers. The only things that have ever topped that have been Superbowls.

• Like 1

In the other thread, I pointed out that the final episode of MASH, hit 125 million viewers. The only things that have ever topped that have been Superbowls.

MASH was in the 70's wasen't? Friend's most watched ep was 54.9 mill in Season 3 that was right after the Superbowl, Cheer's had 96 mill, Seinfeild 76 mill. But as you said the landscape of tv has changed drastically, broadcast viewer's has decreased in number's since around 2004. You compare TBBT #3 show in viewer's with 18.62, to even CSI Miami in 2004 was #9 with 18.0 million in viewer's, really put's it into perspective. 

Edited by 3ku11

I remember Friend's got over 50 million in Season Three for TOW Football, probably my all time favorite episode from any sitcom, but of course their was no social or digital media then.  

TOW the Football received 29.3 million viewers.  The One After the Superbowl received 52.9 million.

TOW the Football received 29.3 million viewers.  The One After the Superbowl received 52.9 million.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said Tow football after the superbowl, sorry I worded it all wrong lol. I got the two mixed up my bad.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said Tow football after the superbowl, sorry I worded it all wrong lol. I got the two mixed up my bad.

And The One After the Superbowl was in Season 2, but TOW the Football was indeed in Season 3.  I may or may not be obsessed with that show.

And The One After the Superbowl was in Season 2, but TOW the Football was indeed in Season 3.  I may or may not be obsessed with that show.

Yeah Friend'as was pretty good haha, Friend's had the most ad revenue per 30 second rate of episode for a sitcom ever for it's time then, it generated $600.00 for that episode TOW superbowl that is, still the biggest debut for an episode after a Superbowl. Critics slammed Friend's though for shameless attempt at garnering rating's, critics never liked Friend's though lol, okay this is quickly turning into a Friends's rating's analyis. TBBT most watched ep was only 5 week's ago 24 mill was it, could be wrong.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Yeah Friend'as was pretty good haha, Friend's had the most ad revenue per 30 second rate of episode for a sitcom ever for it's time then, it generated $600.00 for that episode TOW superbowl that is, still the biggest debut for an episode after a Superbowl. Critics slammed Friend's though for shameless attempt at garnering rating's, critics never liked Friend's though lol, okay this is quickly turning into a Friends's rating's analyis. TBBT most watched ep was only 5 week's ago 24 mill was it, could be wrong.

Opening week, the 8:30 show had a Live + SD of 20.44 million. With the Live + 7 of 5.71 added in, it hit 26.15. Both the Live + SD and the Live + 7 were series highs.

• Like 1