The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 7 Ratings Thread.

Tuesday, October 22,2013. Weekly Rankings Week 4

There are a couple of things in the ratings this week that I am not counting, as they are the run over of the Football games. Since this isn't something that is normal, I'm going to ignore them as ratings. Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo and had the most viewers for the week. TBBT, was number 3 demo and number 3 in viewers. The top ten in demo follows.

Show                             18-49       18-49 viewers

SNF                            10.0            12,678,000

SNF Pregame             5.5            6,997,000

TBBT                          5.2            6,599,000

The Voice  (Mon)        4.5            5.701,000

Modern Family            4.1           5,144,000

The Voice   (Tue)        4.0           5,064,000

Scandal                       3.3            4,204,000

The Millers                  3.3            4,043,000

TBBT                          3.1            3,949,000

Toy Story of Terror      3.1            3,979,000

Show                                       Total viewers

The Millers, while still dropping drastically from TBBT lead in numbers, actually increased their demo, demo viewers, and even their total viewers (they are not on the list as it finished 11th), which means it's holding onto more of TBBT lead in viewers.

Total Viewers

Show Total viewers

SNF                                      26,943,000

NCIS                                     18,830,000

TBBT                                    17,801.000

SNF Pregame                       15,292.000

60 Minutes                             14,953.000

NCIS:LA                                14,646,000

The Voice  (Mon)                   13,781,000

Dancing With the Stars          12,993,000

The Voice  (Tue)                   12,993,000

Person of Interest                  12,692.000

In total viewers, TBBT finished behind SNF by 9 million and NCIS by 1 million viewers. We can safely assume that SNF will be the #1 show in veiwers. If normal trends hold, TBBT should beat NCIS in Live + 7 easily, once those numbers come in. SNF returned to it's number one spot in Live + SD for demo and total viewers.

We'll cover Syndication tomorrow.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

Encore Ratings, for Monday 21 October, 2013, Week Five

Monday had all new shows, except for a 9 PM encore of Sleepy Hollow and an Encore run of The Hofstadter Deficiency. Ratings for this was a 2.4 demo and 7.93 million viewers. This was up two tenths in the demo, but down 500,000 viewers. It finished fifth in demo (there were 13 total shows) and fifth in total viewers. It's 2.4 was higher than the cancelled We Are Men demo of 1.9 and it had 2.0 million more viewers. Although it was down about a ratings point and about 2 million viewers from the encore ratings last year. Those shows were encores of the then current season and were not going again The Voice. So, once CBS starts rerunning season seven shows, and the fall voice is over, we'll see how the ratings react. The Voice was down a tenth of a ratings point.

I think we need charts and graphs to make this more visually immediate.  Or I do, anyway. ;)

Two things, the weekly got screwed up because I tried to edit it with my phone. I'm working on putting it in a spreadsheet and then putting an image of the spreadsheet into the post. I will fix the weekly rankings when I get home tonight from the show, around 11:00 PM EST (3:00 AM UTC).

Second, phanta do you mean like bar graph, pie charts and the like? Or will a spreadsheet image, separating the numbers be enough?

Two things, the weekly got screwed up because I tried to edit it with my phone. I'm working on putting it in a spreadsheet and then putting an image of the spreadsheet into the post. I will fix the weekly rankings when I get home tonight from the show, around 11:00 PM EST (3:00 AM UTC).

Second, phanta do you mean like bar graph, pie charts and the like? Or will a spreadsheet image, separating the numbers be enough?

I'd actually prefer a bar graph, showing the ratings peaks and valleys (or peaks and higher peaks, it seems!), but I really didn't know if it was possible to put something like that into the threads, or if you'd have to link to it, or whatever.

I just think that a bar graph or whatever would make it more immediate in terms of comparisons to previous seasons, or previous episodes, or to other shows.

Just a suggestion. :)

Posted on 24 October, 2013 Syndication for Week 4.

TBBT finished in fourth place, behind Judge Judy(JJ) and Wheel of Fortune (WF) and Jeopardy (JY). In the household rating (we normally look at the 18-49 demo, but in syndication, it's more how many households and total viewers), JJ was first with a 6.9, WF had a 6.4, JY had a 5.9 and TBBT was at 5.3. WF was first in viewers with 9.97 million, JJ had 9.43 and JY with 8.99 and TBBT with 8.16. The weekend version of TBBT on TBS finished in 7th place with a 3.9 household rating and 6.02 million viewers.

If you look at the syndication ratings, you'll notice that four of the top ten (including the #1 and #3 programs) were football. Due to a quirk of how the ratings are collected, football shows up in the syndication ratings, although it shouldn't. What happens is that it is published with the syndication, then basically ignored on the list .

• Like 1

Overnights 24 October, 2013

The overnights are in and TBBT hit a 4.9 demo, with 16.47 million viewers. While these seem low, there was only one other series that hit a 3.0 (and that was Scandal with a 3.0) demo, and only one other series above 9 million viewers, The Millers, with 10.88 million (about a 67% retention of TBBT audience). The reason for the low numbers is probably due to Game #2 of the World Series, which was broadcast last night, and those numbers are not yet in. Will return later this afternoon, with the Thursday Finals.

ETA: I forgot, I expect a two tenth adjustment up and total viewers right around 17 million. These are lower than last week, but the baseball game will pull viewers.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 5

TBBT held up great against the World Series and TBBT is most likely to be adjusted up in both demos and viewers.

Thanks Tensor

Thursday Final Ratings 24 October 2013

TBBT rose three tenths in the demo to a 5.2 rating, this is a tenth higher than I predicted. It increased by 510,000 viewers to 16.98 million, I predicted 17.00 million. It tied last week's demo at 5.2, but viewers dropped by 660,000. 17.64-16.98(-5%).

TBBT was the leader in viewers and demo. Second and third in viewers were The World Serieswith 13.43 and The Millers with 10.74 million viewers. In demo, The World Series came in second with a 3.6 rating and Scandal was third with a 2.9 The next highest rating in TBBT slot was the baseball playoffs with a 2.5. All the scripted shows were under a 2.

Compared to the sixth episode last year (The Extract Obliteration), Ratings were even at 5.2 and up by over a million viewers 16.98-15.90 (10%). Overall, for the year, after six episodes, demo average is up five tenths, 4.9-5.4 (10%) and up just under three million viewers, 15.42-18.34(18%). Last week demo was up by 12% and viewers by 22%.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

Week 6 Live + 7 28 October, 2013

Based on week 3 ratings.

The total lift (number of viewers watching on DVR over the last seven days) for this episode, was 5.48 million. In terms of demo, there was a 2.6 point increase, a new series high, one tenth above the record set by 7.02. With the 2.6 demo increase, the total demo for this episode was a 7.7 and total viewers were 23.60.

For the week, TBBT was at number one for demo with the 7.7. Second place was Modern Family at 5.7 and third was The Blacklist with a 5.0. Note that TBBT was a full 2 points higher than anything else in demo. In terms of demo lift, the top three were TBBT with 2.6, and there was a three way tie for second place with The Blacklist, Marvel: Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and Sleepy Hollow at 1.9.

For viewers, TBBT was the number 1 show with 23.23 million viewers. Number two was NCIS with 21.91 million and third was NCIS:LA with 17.57 Million. The closest half hour comedy was Modern Family, with 14.59 million viewers. The top three in terms of viewer lift were The Blacklistwith 5.72 million, TBBT with 5.59 million, and Elementary with 5.02 million.

Compared to the first four weeks of last year, viewer lift was up 34%(4.07-5.48 million) and demo lift was up 33%(1.8-2.4). Total viewers was up 25% (19.40-24.31 million) and total demo was up 18% (6.6-7.9)

One note, this year’s Live + SD average number of total viewers is less than a million total viewers behind last years Live + 7 average

• Like 2

Tuesday, October 29,2013. Weekly Rankings Week 6

ratings based on Week Five numbers.

There are a couple of things in the ratings this week that I am not counting, as they are the run over of the Football games. Since this isn't something that is normal, I'm going to ignore them as ratings. Also, the World Series has four shows in the top ten, with the highest Demo of 4.6 and the most viewers at 15.97 million. Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo and NCIS had the most viewers for the week. TBBT, was number 2 demo and number 2 in viewers. The top ten in demo follows.

Show                                 18-49 demo                    18-49 viewers

SNF                                      6.3                                 8,009,000

TBBT                                     5.2                                 6,550,000

The Voice (Mon)                   4.3                                 5,474,000

The Voice {Tue}                   4.1                                 5,163,000

Modern Family                     3.9                                 4,899,000

SNF Pregame                       3.6                                 4,602,000

NCIS                                     3.0                                 3,849,000

The Blacklist                          3.0                                 3,773,000

How I Met Your Mother          3.0                                 3,771,000

Scandal                                  2.9                                 3,037,000

Several notes. Once the Live + 7 numbers come in, TBBT will be the #1 show in terms of demo. TBBT has been averaging right around a 2.5 demo increase, while SNF has struggled to even get another one tenth. It would be a stretch, based on current year's demo increases, for Modern Family to overtake SNF for second. The last note is that the Monday Special of TBBT on Monday night pulled down a 2.4 demo, allowing it to finish in the top 25 programs for the week, in demo. It beat two CBS comedies at 2.3 (The Crazy Ones and Two and a Half Men) and was only one tenth below Two Broke Girls

NCIS                                     18,989,000

TBBT                                    16,985.000

SNF                                      16,893,000

NCIS:LA                                14,917,000

The Voice  (Mon)                   13,685,000

Dancing With the Stars          13,350,000

Person of Interest                  13,171.000

The Voice  (Tue)                   13,143,000

Criminal Minds                       11,552,000

Blue Bloods                            11,270,000

NCIS was the number 1 program this week by just over 2 million viewers. TBBT's lead in Live + 7 over NCIS is right around 2 million, so the #1 show, in viewers will be quite close. once those numbers come in. SNF was only #3 in viewers, due probably to the World Series. It's possible that once the Live + 7 numbers come in, it may fall all the way to eighth.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

Encore Ratings, for Monday 28 October, 2013, Week Six

Except for the 9 PM repeat of TBBT(The 43 Peculiarity), Monday had all new shows, plus the fifth game of The World series. Against this more difficult schedule, the demo ratings were up a tenth from last week for a 2.5 demo and was just about flat from last weeks 7.93 million viewers (7.94 this week). It still finished sixth in demo (there were 12 total shows) and total viewers. For the three weeks of repeats, It's 2.3 average demo was higher than the cancelled We Are Men demo of 1.9 and it had ~1.8 million more viewers. The Voice was down a tenth of a ratings point (to 4.2) while that is higher, the TBBT repeat was up. This are preliminary numbers and I'll edit the post to include the final ratings, when they come out.

Tensor

• Like 1

Posted on 30 October, 2013 Syndication for Week 6.

Based on week five ratings.

TBBT finished in fourth place, behind Judge Judy(JJ) and Wheel of Fortune (WF) and Jeopardy (JY). In the household rating (we normally look at the 18-49 demo, but in syndication, it's more how many households and total viewers), JJ was first with a 6.7, WF had a 6.6, JY had a 5.8 and TBBT was at 5.6. WF was first in viewers with 10.38 million, JJ had 9.20 and JY with 9.03 and TBBT with 8.61. The weekend version of TBBT on TBS finished in 7th place again with a 4.2 household rating and 6.84 million viewers. The weekday Modern Family, finished eighth, with a 3.9 with 5.78 million viewers.

If you look at the syndication ratings, you'll notice that four of the top ten (including the #1 and #3 programs) were football and one is a three hour block for Saturday mornings. Due to a quirk of how the ratings are collected, football and Saturday kids shows show up in the syndication ratings, although they shouldn't. What happens is that it is published with the syndication, then basically ignored on the list .

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1

This may be a stupid thing to say or ask, but why is Football shows considered a scripted tv show? Sometimes higher in ratings then TBBT and in the 18-49 demographic demo, yet its not a real scripted show like TBBT or Modern Family, just wondering. And the fact they show up on the syndication ratings anyway. 

This may be a stupid thing to say or ask, but why is Football shows considered a scripted tv show? Sometimes higher in ratings then TBBT and in the 18-49 demographic demo, yet its not a real scripted show like TBBT or Modern Family, just wondering.

The ratings don't cover just scripted shows. The Voice, American Idol, The Amazing Race, etc., the so called "Reality Shows" are also considered. What the prime time ratings (and I use) cover, are the ratings for regularly scheduled Broadcast television. The shows on broadcast have the highest ratings (A major exception to this is The Walking Dead, as that is the highest rated scripted show, even beating TBBT in the demo last year 7.5 to 7.3), so that is mostly what is covered.

As far as football, is concerned, the only football usually covered by the ratings is Sunday Night Football]/i] (SNF). This is a regularly scheduled program, so that is why it is included in the ratings (along with the pre game, since that starts at 8:00 PM). There are also Thursday night games that appear in the ratings (These games are not the ones seen on most Thursdays on The NFL Network, but things like the first game of the season or those on Thanksgiving). The games that run over into Primetime on Sundays show up in the ratings, but they are not considered regularly scheduled, so while they appear in the ratings, they are not counted toward that networks totals.

And the fact they show up on the syndication ratings anyway.

Here's the quirk that causes the games to show up in syndication. The NFL, in order to avoid anti-trust considerations, has to have games scheduled to appear on cable (ESPN for Monday Night Football and The Thursday games on The NFL Network) available on free broadcast TV in the home cities of the two teams that are playing. For example, lets say Tampa Bay is playing Chicago on Monday night. For most of the nation, if you want to see the game, you have to watch on ESPN. However, in Tampa and Chicago, the game will be televised over free broadcast television. The way it works is that those stations purchase the rights, much like syndication. As a result, it is included in the syndication ratings, when it should be on the cable ratings. It's simply a matter of ignoring those games that show up in the syndicated ratings.
  • Like 1

Posted on 31 October, 2013

Since there are no ratings results today, and TBBT will be showing it's first repeat, in timeslot, tonight, I thought I'd look at at how the three repeats that aired in the Monday night slot of the cancelled We are Men. First off, the two episodes of We are Men that aired averaged a 1.9 in the demo and five million viewers. The three TBBT episodes that ran averaged right around a 2.5 with 8 million viewers. This was also enough to basically tie the CBS show running prior to TBBT Two Broke Girls (TBG had a 2.55 rating in demo, but had only 7.93 million viewers) and beat the show running after, Mom(2.2 in the demo with 7.20 million viewers).

It's worthy to note that those episodes ran out of TBBT timeslot, which translate's to lower viewers (viewers may not expect it to be on, even if it's advertised). Even with this handicap and they fact that all were repeats, it finished fifth or six for the night(out of 13), against all new programming. It also was the only repeat to make the top 25 programs for the week.

There are 25 half hour comedies(both live action and animated) being broadcast this year. New episodes of, Modern Family, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother, The Millers and The Crazy ones are the only comedies that beat TBBT REPEATS. That's right, only new episodes of five half hour comedy series(out of 25 shows), beat the demo of 2.5 scored by TBBT, out of timeslot, repeats. And two of those, The Millers and The Crazy Ones have circumstances tied to TBBT. The Crazy Ones had a 3.9 demo rating for it's first show, which followed the TBBT episode that set the series record for viewers. Take that one outlier out, and the series ties TBBT. The Millers follows TBBT currently and it's higher rating is thought to be due to having TBBT as a lead in.

Another point is there have been other shows running reruns already this year. As of today, there has not been another rerun that has scored above a 1.5 demo rating(see ETA below), vs the 2.5 that TBBT pulls in, in an out of timeslot run. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight using a season six episode, but in timeslot. It will also be interesting to see what The Millers scores for ratings tonight, without the massive (I'm talking about an above 5 demo and over 16 million viewers) TBBT lead in.

Tensor.

ETA, after posting this, the ratings for Wednesday, 30 October, 2013 were posted. A Modern Family repeat pulled in a 2.2 on Wednesday. While that does beat the high of 1.5 so far this year, it does not beat any TBBT repeat so far this year.

Edited by Tensor

Overnights 01 November, 2013

For Thursday 31 October broadcasts

The overnights are in and TBBT repeat at 8 PM(The Bakersfield Expedition) had a 2.5 demo, with 11.56 million viewers and the 9:30 PM show (The Tenure Turbulence) had a 2.0 with 8.89, million viewers. We're used to seeing much higher numbers, but this is a good example of how dominant TBBT has been. Against all new programming, the in slot show(8 PM) was the third highest rated show for the night in demo, and was number one in viewers and the only show to go over 10 million viewers. Even with the drop, to 2.0, of the second show, it was still the fifth highest rated demo and fifth highest number of viewers for the night (out of 15 shows). Remember, this is against all first run shows (with the exception noted below).

No series that hit a 3.0. Number one was Scandal with a 2.9 demo and 9.23 million viewers. Number two, in demo, was Grey's Anatomy with a 2.6 and 8.88 million viewers. After TBBT in total viewers was Grey's Anatomy at 9.57 million and Elementary, with 9.35 million. The only other repeat was a Halloween themed It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown which finished fourth in the demo (2.20, but only had 6.96 million viewers, which left it eighth in viewers.

I said I was interested in seeing what happened with The Millers without the massive TBBT lead in. Well, we found out, it had been averaging a 3.0 in demo with 11.96 million viewers. With only a average lead in, due to the repeat, The Millers lost a full ratings point (2.0) and 2.5 million viewers. The Crazy Ones also fell a half a demo point and lost three million viewers. The second TBBT replaced Two and a Half Men and while it was a half point below TAAHM's average for the year, it was only down two tenths in demo and above total viewers for the last three weeks.

I expect that the 8 PM show may get adjusted up and the 9:30 PM show up maybe a tenth. But, adjustments to repeats are not consistent or reliably forecasted. I will edit this post after the final numbers are published later this afternoon.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

Thursday Finals 01 November, 2013

For Thursday 31 October broadcasts

Note changes in the final numbers (from the overnights) are in red

The overnights are in and TBBT repeat at 8 PM(The Bakersfield Expedition) had a 2.5 2.6 up a tenth demo, with 11.56 11.8   million viewers up 250,000 viewers and the 9:30 PM show (The Tenure Turbulence) had a 2.0 2.1, up a tenth with 8.89 8.48, million viewers down 400,000 viewers. We're used to seeing much higher numbers, but this is a good example of how dominant TBBT has been. Against all new programming, the in slot show(8 PM) was the third tied for the second highest rated show for the night in demo, and was number one in viewers and the only show to go over 10 million viewers. Even with the drop, to 2.0, 2.1 of the second show, it was still the fifth highest rated demo and fifth highest number of viewers for the night (out of 15 shows). Remember, this is against all first run shows (with the exception noted below).

No series hit a 3.0. Number one was Scandal with a 2.9 demo and 9.23 9.18 million viewers down 50,000. Number two,(along with TBBT) in demo, was Grey's Anatomy with a 2.6 and 8.88 8.94 million viewers up 60,000. After TBBT in total viewers was The Millers at 9.579.67 million viewers up 10,000 and Elementary, with 9.35 9.47, million up 12,000. The only other repeat was a Halloween themed It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown which finished fourth in the demo (2.20, but only had 6.96 million viewers, which left it eighth in viewers.

I said I was interested in seeing what happened with The Millers without the massive TBBT lead in. Well, we found out, it had been averaging a 3.0 in demo with 11.96 million viewers. With only a average lead in, due to the repeat, The Millers lost almost a full ratings point (2.0)(2.1)and 2.5 million viewers. The Crazy Ones also fell a half a demo point and lost three million viewers. The second TBBT replaced Two and a Half Men and while it was a half point below TAAHM's average for the year, it was only down two one tenths in demo and above equal to total viewers for the last three weeks.

I expect that the 8 PM show may get adjusted up and the 9:30 PM show up maybe a tenth. But, adjustments to repeats are not consistent or reliably forecasted. I will edit this post after the final numbers are published later this afternoon.

Both show were up a tenth in demo and while the 8 PM show increased in viewers, the 9:30 show went down.

Tensor

• Like 2

Week 7 Live + 7 04 November, 2013

Based on week 4 ratings.

The total lift (number of viewers watching on DVR over the last seven days) for this episode, was 5.48 million. In terms of demo, there was a 2.3 point increase, With that 2.3 demo lift, the total demo for this episode was a 7.5 and total viewers were 23.60.

For the week, TBBT was at number one entertainment show for viewers and demo with the 7.5 in demo. Second place was Modern Family at 5.9 and third was The Voice (Mon) with a 5.5. TBBT was a 1.6 points higher than anything else in demo. In terms of demo lift, the top three were TBBT with 2.3, second place was Grey’s Anatomy[i/] at 2.1 and The Blacklist at 2.0.

For viewers, TBBT had 22.91 million viewers. Number two was NCIS with 22.30 million and third was NCIS:LA with 17.52 Million. The closest half hour comedy was Modern Family, with 14.88 million viewers. The top three in terms of viewer lift were Toy Story of Terror with 6.15 million The Blacklistwith 5.52 million, TBBT with 5.10 million.

In Year vs Year, TBBT was up one tenth in lift and three tenths in total demo. In viewers, it was up 2.3 million viewers.

Compared to the first five episodes of last year, viewer lift was up 31%(4.12-5.41 million) and demo lift was up 27%(1.9-2.4). Total viewers was up 24% (19.45-24.31 million) and total demo was up 15% (6.7-7. 8)

One note, this year’s Live + SD average number of total viewers is still less than a million total viewers behind last years Live + 7 average

Tensor

Compared to the first five episodes of last year, viewer lift was up 31%(4.12-5.41 million) and demo lift was up 27%(1.9-2.4). Total viewers was up 24% (19.45-24.31 million) and total demo was up 15% (6.7-7. 8)

One note, this year’s Live + SD average number of total viewers is still less than a million total viewers behind last years Live + 7 average

Tensor

I read good news and potentially not that good news?  Is there or should there be a concern that we are below the average of last year or is it too early to tell since we really haven't had "sweep" episodes yet?

Kasey, look at that. This years live + same day is within a million of last years live + 7 day. In other word they are getting almost as many viewers on the day the episode airs, as they did last year with seven days of DVR viewers added. That is a good thing.

• Like 3

Oh ...  Thanks Tensor.  I will admit to my brain not functioning when I read that...

Tuesday, 05 November,2013. Weekly Rankings Week 7

ratings based on Week Six numbers.

The big note this week is that TBBT ran a rerun in it's time slot on Thursday. It was Halloween and viewership is usually way down. Also, because there were two episodes shown on premier night, they needed to schedule a rerun prior to Thanksgiving, to get back on schedule for new shows. There are a couple of things in the ratings this week that I am not counting, as they are the run over of the Football games. Since this isn't something that is normal, I'm going to ignore them as ratings. Again, I'm leaving out the World Series which has two shows in the top ten, with the high for game six (the Clinching game) with a Demo of 5.7 and 19.18 million viewers. Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo and NCIS had the most viewers for the week. TBBT, was number 2 demo and number 2 in viewers. The top ten in demo follows.

Show                                 18-49 demo                    18-49 viewers

SNF                                      6.3                                 8,056,000

The Voice (Mon)                   4.3                                 5,462,000

The Voice {Tue}                   4.1                                 4,594,000

SNF Pregame                       3.4                                 4,300,000

60 Minutes                             3.2                                4,021,000

The Blacklist                          3.1                                3,879,000

NCIS                                     3.0                                3,863,000

How I Met Your Mother          3.0                                 3,856,000

Scandal                                  2.9                                3,679,000

2 Broke Girls                             2.7                             3,434,000

TBBT rerun, in the Thursday time slot, pulled down a 2.6 demo, just one tenth of a point out of the top ten. TBBT rerun at 9:00, brought in a 2.5, which allowed both reruns to end up in the top 15 for the week (when the World Series is taken out).

NCIS                                     19,296,000

SNF                                      17,040,000

60 Minutes                             15,812,000

NCIS:LA                                14,897,000

Dancing With the Stars          13,281,000

The Voice  (Mon)                   13,221,000

Person of Interest                  11,997.000

TBBT                                    11,797.000

The Voice  (Tue)                   11,618,000

Blue Bloods                            11,009,000

Nothing really of note here, except to point out that a rerun of TBBT finished eighth for the week, not counting the World Series. But, even it the World Series was counted, TBBT would still have been in the top ten for the week.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor

Sorry for the delay in getting to this. Was involved in getting the taping report posted yesterday. Not to mention, my source didn't get this out until today.

Posted on 05 November, 2013 Syndication for Week 7.

Based on week six ratings.

It appears things have settled into the pattern for syndication this year. TBBT finished in fourth place agin, behind Judge Judy(JJ) and Wheel of Fortune (WF) and Jeopardy (JY). In the household rating (we normally look at the 18-49 demo, but in syndication, it's more how many households and total viewers), JJ was first with a 7.1, WF had a 7.0, JY had a 6.1 and TBBT was at 5.9. The ranking for total viewers were again the same for the top four. WF was first in viewers with 10.93 million, JJ had 9.74 and JY with 9.32 and TBBT with 8.96. The weekend version of TBBT on TBS finished in 7th place again with a 3.9 household rating and 6.08 million viewers. Compared to syndication last year, TBBT is down by a full ratings point and down about 1.25 million viewers. It may be that a drop in ratings and viewers, due to over saturation by TBS has finally started, although ratings for the new episodes on Thursdays have grown.

If you look at the syndication ratings, you'll notice that the #1 program was football and the #2 program is a three hour block for Saturday mornings. Due to a quirk of how the ratings are collected, football and Saturday kids shows show up in the syndication ratings, although they shouldn't. What happens is that it is published with the syndication, then basically ignored on the list .

Posted on 05 November, 2013. News and notes for Week 7

TBBT post Daylight Savings Time viewer increase

It will be interesting to see what happens with the ratings and viewers starting tonight. With the end of Daylight Savings Time, it get dark at an earlier time and as a result, TV viewing increases. TBBT has averaged an increase of 10% two weeks after the end of Daylight savings time. Note, this does not include season four (move to Thursday). And, it’s not just the average, all but one season increased by 10% (10.2,10.8,10.4, and 10. 8), a very consistent increase. And even that one season, (season 2) was up by 7.8%

In terms of demo, it has increased by an average of 11%. (11, 11, 6, 14 ,17, 9), again quite consistent. Interestingly, while season four remained flat in terms of viewers, the demo increased.

So, what exactly does that mean in terms of this year? Well, for viewers, the last couple of shows have averaged around 17.75 million(note this is not the average viewers for the year, it is the average of the last three shows before DST ended. If we take the 10% average increase, then that would work out to around 19.5 million. If we include the low end (7.8%, we come up with 19.00 million. Using the high end of 10.8% they would be at 19.7 million viewers.

For demo, the average over the last three was 5.2. If we use the average demo increase, we would get a 5.7, (if we use the range of the increase (6-17%)) which would give us a demo increase between 5.5 and 6.0).

There is a fly in the oinment, however. Viewing across all televison is down by 7% over the same period a year ago (which makes the increases in viewers and demo, so far this year, even more amazing). Now it may not matter at all, as TBBT has been growing even as total viewers has been declining (down 35% since TBBT premiered). Just wanted to make it known it’s tough to predict, with increases in one area and decreases in another. I happen to think TBBT will increase it’s post Daylight Savings Time audience by about one million viewers to 18.75 million and the demo up four tenths, to 5.6

Remember, these increased numbers are pretty much where the viewers and demo number stay, as an average, until Daylight saving time begins again in March. Interestingly, the DVR lift doesn’t seem to change (it’s currently averaging over five million viewers and 2.3 demo points), so the increase represent viewers who weren’t watching the show before, for whatever reason.

Basic Cable TBBT performance

The Big Bang Theory on TBS accounted for 19 of basic cable's Top 20 sitcom telecasts for the week among total viewers. The show also claimed 18 of the Top 20 sitcom telecasts for the week among adults 18-49. Last week's lineup included four of the series' popular Halloween episodes on Thursday.

TBBT rerun performance for Week 6

Here’s an interesting bit of information. TBBT ran three repeats last week. Two on Thursday and one on Monday. ALL THREE were in the top 25 in demo last week. The Thursday 9:30 repeat at 2.1 was the lowest, but it still rank ahead of over 2/3s of the shows last week.