The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 7 Ratings Thread.

Overnights 08 November, 2013

For Thursday 7 October broadcasts

The overnights are in and a new TBBT earned a 4.8 demo, with 16.59 million viewers. I expect, as usual, for the the ratings and viewers to rise with the finals. The lower numbers may be due to NBC scheduling The Voiceat 8 PM. Not that it did them any good, it was a SERIES low 2.7 demo.

No other series that hit a 3.0, but four shows were at 2.7(Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, The Millers and The Voice) After TBBT in total viewers was The Millers at 10.67 million and The Voice, with 10.37 million.

I will edit this post after the final numbers are published later this afternoon.

Tensor

• Like 2

Wow that the lowest the Ratings has been this season and hopefully it will adjusted up.

Thanks Tensor.

Wow that the lowest the Ratings has been this season and hopefully it will adjusted up.

Thanks Tensor.

Actually, the last new episode had a 4.9 demo and 16.47 million viewers. That's a tenth higher than last night, in demo, but less viewers than last night.

Actually, the last new episode had a 4.9 demo and 16.47 million viewers. That's a tenth higher than last night, in demo, but less viewers than last night.

I notice the viewers but didn't mention due the demos is what counts the most.

btw does there seem to be more commercials lately during the show? 

Well, they run the show to 8:31, so they get two more 30 second spots at TBBT ad rates. The show has been running from 19:30 to 21 minutes, so there is 10 to 11.5 minutes of commercials (10-13 30 second ads)during the 31 minute show. So yes, there has been more commercials since the beginning of last year, when the started running to 8:31. BTW, at current average estimated ad rates, that is between 3.2-4.2 million per show.

ETA:I was in error here. There are 10 to 11.5 minutes of ad time, which is 20-23 30 second ads. This means that the show is pulling in 6.5 to 8.5 million per show. For 31 show dates (the number there were last year makes it between 201-232 million for the year. This does not count any out of time slot showings, for instance, the shows they ran on Mondays for a replacement for a cancelled show or those, like last week, when they ran a show at 9:30.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for explaining things about the commercials and how it works.  I will say I don't know if it's a good or bad thing though.

So thanks again Tensor.

Well, they run the show to 8:31, so they get two more 30 second spots at TBBT ad rates. The show has been running from 19:30 to 21 minutes, so there is 10 to 11.5 minutes of commercials (10-13 30 second ads)during the 31 minute show. So yes, there has been more commercials since the beginning of last year, when the started running to 8:31. BTW, at current average estimated ad rates, that is between 3.2-4.2 million per show.

How much of that do you think is profit?

I read good news and potentially not that good news?  Is there or should there be a concern that we are below the average of last year or is it too early to tell since we really haven't had "sweep" episodes yet?

I think maybe the general populace (as opposed to the fanboys/girls on this forum) are waking up to the deteriorating quality of the writing this season.

Final Thursday Ratings 08 November, 2013

For Thursday 7 October broadcasts

The final ratings for Thursday show TBBT earned a 4.84.9 demo, up a tenth, with 16.5916.89 million viewers up 300,000 viewers, the highs in both the timeslot and the night overall. While the demo numbers and viewers were up, this is the first week that TBBT was below a 5 in the demo and under 17 million for viewers. It's also the first week that the demo adjustment was below a two tenth rise. The lower numbers may be due to NBC scheduling The Voiceat 8 PM. Not that it did them any good, it was a SERIES low 2.7 2.5 demo. It may also be due to a lower number of viewers. Compared to two weeks ago (last week was Halloween, and viewership was way down), viewership this week was down almost 10% (it's down 7% from last year), which may explain the lower numbers. As to why the number of viewers is down, is unknown.

No other series that hit a 3.0, but four shows hit 2.7 (Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, The Millers and The Voice) in second was Scandal, with a 2.8 and in third was Grey's Anatomy. After TBBT in total viewers was The Voice at 9.74 million and Elementary, with 8.89 million.

The overnights are struck through, with the final numbers and any new changes in red.

Tensor

I think maybe the general populace (as opposed to the fanboys/girls on this forum) are waking up to the deteriorating quality of the writing this season.

Did you read the actual numbers? Kasey did and misread them, that was the reason for the comment. TBBT is currently averaging almost as many viewers in Live + Same Day DVR, as last year did with the Live + 7 DVR. Here's the numbers: Live + 7 last year averaged 18.7 million. Live + same day this year is averaging 18.4. The averages for Total viewers for Live + Same Day is up by over 3 million viewers over last year and up three tenths in demo over last year. The number of people watching on DVR is up, and the demo is up. All the rating stats for TBBT are higher then last year, most by double digit percentages.

• Like 1

How much of that do you think is profit?

I really don't know as I would need to know how much CBS is paying for the show, how much the producers are getting, and how much Warner Brothers gets. I do know it's still relatively inexpensive to make. Actor salaries, for this year, are only running about 1.5 million per episode (about 36 million per year on salaries). This will change drastically next year, once all the actors get their money. The low end increase for the top three, along with Simon and Kunal, would mean actors salaries would run between 2.5 to 3.0 million per episode (60 to 72 million per year). My best guess for the cost for a year's worth of production would be between 50-60 million (increasing to about 85-100 million next year). This also includes payments to all the production crew. The producers get their cut from the profits of the show, and then Warner Brothers gets their cut. So, if you go with my SWAG, my best guess is that CBS may be paying 100-125 million next year, Which means profit is around 75-100 million.

I estimated production costs by looking at the average salaries for the different major positions in the production crew and extrapolating the rest. I have no idea how many producers are getting a cut or how much each of them get and I don't know how much Warner Brothers is getting. So, take what I put here with a grain of salt hell, you better get the whole salt mine. Remember, it's a swag.

Please your on this site doesent that make you a fangirl/fanboy? Your entiltiled to any opinion, even though its false, but it comes off so arrogant. The writing has been awesome this season, I am not sure what the problem is with some people who complain about the show, its been at its absoloute best since the first episode. 

Please your on this site doesent that make you a fangirl/fanboy? Your entiltiled to any opinion, even though its false, but it comes off so arrogant. The writing has been awesome this season, I am not sure what the problem is with some people who complain about the show, its been at its absoloute best since the first episode. 

So your opinion is somehow more valid than others.

Did you read the actual numbers? Kasey did and misread them, that was the reason for the comment. TBBT is currently averaging almost as many viewers in Live + Same Day DVR, as last year did with the Live + 7 DVR. Here's the numbers: Live + 7 last year averaged 18.7 million. Live + same day this year is averaging 18.4. The averages for Total viewers for Live + Same Day is up by over 3 million viewers over last year and up three tenths in demo over last year. The number of people watching on DVR is up, and the demo is up. All the rating stats for TBBT are higher then last year, most by double digit percentages.

Sorry, I misread them too. Didn't the season start with 20 mill live +?. In any case i think i super-imposed my opinion of S7 over what i thought were reduced ratings. My bad.

So your opinion is somehow more valid than others.

Sorry, I misread them too. Didn't the season start with 20 mill live +?. In any case i think i super-imposed my opinion of S7 over what i thought were reduced ratings. My bad.

No its not but the tone of you comment seemed to think your opinion had more validity thats all. 

The season started with 18.9, the second episode that followed had 20+ million. But, I don't see your point about the 20 million. Every week has been up, by over double digit percentages, except this past week (which wasn't part of the statement). And though this week was down vs last year, it was down a 2 tenths in demo, and down less than 30,000 viewers, both of which are statistically insignificant, under 4%.

The season started with 18.9, the second episode that followed had 20+ million. But, I don't see your point about the 20 million. Every week has been up, by over double digit percentages, except this past week (which wasn't part of the statement). And though this week was down vs last year, it was down a 2 tenths in demo, and down less than 30,000 viewers, both of which are statistically insignificant, under 4%.

This maybe a stupid question, but is their a reason why the past three weeks ratings have been below 17 mill, obviousley all the other comedies would kill for 16 mill average, but just wondering maybe building for the sweeps?

This maybe a stupid question, but is their a reason why the past three weeks ratings have been below 17 mill, obviousley all the other comedies would kill for 16 mill average, but just wondering maybe building for the sweeps?

Only the past two weeks have been below 17 million (the other week was below 12, but that was a rerun). There's several different reasons for that. The biggest is that viewership of broadcast television fell below 13% for the last three weeks(although, as I said, one week was a TBBT rerun). That's something that happened the last two years (that's all I have data for).

Last week also had a new "The Voice" running in TBBT's timeslot. It pulled in a 9.7 million viewers, basically tripling the number of viewers that Parks and Recreation had been pulling in. With the number of broadcast viewers dropping, The viewers had to come from somewhere.

I'll be interested to see what the DVR viewers is for this week, to see if it's made up there. Even if it's "only" the 5+ million it's been, that will still bring it to over 22 million. By a rough estimate, that "low" of 22+ million will still be higher than all but three shows last year.

• Like 1

Week 8= Live + 7 11 November, 2013

Based on week 5 ratings.

The total lift (number of viewers watching on DVR over the last seven days) for this episode, was 5.99 million, this was an all-time series high. In terms of demo, there was a 2.7 point increase. This was another all-time series high. With that 2.7 demo lift, the total demo for this episode was a 7.9 a high for the season. With the lift, the total viewers were 22.95 million, interestingly, the low for the season. A high for the demo and the low for the viewers, means that the 18-49 viewers were at a season high.

For the week, TBBT was the number one entertainment show in the demo with the 7.9 in demo. Second place was Modern Family at 5.6 and third was The The Blacklist with a 5.0. TBBT was a 2.3 points higher than anything else in demo, and it's 5.2 demo for Live + SD was higher than all the shows Live + SD except Modern Family In terms of demo lift, the top three were TBBT with 2.7, second place was The Blacklist at 2.0 and Grey’s Anatomy at 1.8.

For viewers, TBBT had 22.97 million viewers. Number two was NCIS with 22.70 million and third was Person of Interst with 17.33 Million. The closest half hour comedy was Modern Family, with 14.20 million viewers. The top three in terms of viewer lift were The Blacklist with 6.20 million TBBT with 5.99 million, Castle with 4.67 million.

In Year vs Year, TBBT was up seven tenths in lift and seven tenths in total demo. In viewers, it was up 2.1 million viewers.

Compared to the first six episodes of last year, viewer lift was up 39%(3.94-5.50 million) and demo lift was up 31%(1.9-2.5). Total viewers was up 23% (19.44-23.85 million) and total demo was up 14% (6.85-7.85). This makes it look the higher numbers, for the year, are due to the higher lifts generated this year. However, the Live + Sameday is also up this year (15.90-18.35) Up 2.45 million, which is 15%. And the demo is up (4.9-5.4) a full half point, or 10%.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

Tuesday, November 12 ,2013. Weekly Rankings Week 8

ratings based on Week seven numbers.

There are a couple of things in the ratings this week that I am not counting, as they are the run over of the Football games, college football overruns, etc. Since this isn't something that is normal, I'm going to ignore them as ratings. However, I am including the CMA Music Awards. Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo and viewers for the week. TBBT, was number 2 demo and number 3 in viewers. The top ten in demo follows.

Show                                 18-49 demo                    18-49 viewers

SNF                                      7.8                                 9,876,000

TBBT                                     4.9                                 6,242,000

CMA Music Awards               4.7                               5,977,000

SNF Pregame                       4.1                                 5.173,000

The Voice (Mon)                   3.6                                 4,620,000

The Voice {Tue}                   3.4                                 4,307,000

How I Met Your Mother         3.4                                 4,287,000

60 Minutes                             3.1                                3,955,000

NCIS                                     2.9                                 3,645,000

The Blacklist                          2.9                                 3,628,000

There really aren't any notes this week.

Show                                       Total viewers

SNF                                      21,090,000

NCIS                                     19,178,000

TBBT                                    16,888.000

CMA Music Awards                 16,762,00

60 Minutes                             15,917,000

NCIS:LA                                14,763,000

Dancing With the Stars          13,718,000

Person of Interest                  11,789.000

The Voice  (Mon)                   11,748,000

Football Night in America        11,614,000

The only note here is that both TBBT and NCIS should pass SNF when the Live + 7 comes in, for total viewers. It's going to be close as to whether TBBT passes NCIS.

We'll cover Syndication tomorrow.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1

Posted on 12 November, 2013 Syndication for Week 8.

Based on week seven ratings.

It appears things have settled into the pattern for syndication this year. TBBT finished in fourth place agin, behind Judge Judy(JJ) and Wheel of Fortune (WF) and Jeopardy (JY). In the household rating (we normally look at the 18-49 demo, but in syndication, it's more how many households and total viewers), JJ and WF tied for the top with a 7.2,  JY had a 6.9 and TBBT was at 5.9. The ranking for total viewers were again the same for the top four. WF was first in viewers with 11.22 million, JJ had 9.83 and JY with 9.68 and TBBT with 9.08. The weekend version of TBBT on TBS finished in 5th place  with a 4.9 household rating and 7.97 million viewers. Compared to syndication last year, TBBT is down by a full ratings point and down about 1.25 million viewers. It may be that a drop in ratings and viewers, due to over saturation by TBS has finally started, although ratings for the new episodes on Thursdays have grown.

If you look at the syndication ratings, you'll notice that the #3 program was football and the #4 program is a three hour block for Saturday mornings. Due to a quirk of how the ratings are collected, football and Saturday kids shows show up in the syndication ratings, although they shouldn't. What happens is that it is published with the syndication, then basically ignored on the list .

Posted on 14 November, 2013 Week 8 News and Notes

Only one thing today. Based on Week Seven ratings, TBBT had all 20 of the top 20 sitcoms on basic cable. Since tonight was the eighth new show of the season (Yes, the season is one third over), next weeks news and notes will be looking at the first third of the season, comparing it to last year, and we'll see how this season compares to last (hint, all the ratings are up for the year).

Tensor

• Like 2

Overnights 15 November, 2013 Week 8

For Thursday 14 November broadcasts

The overnights are in and a new TBBT was up even over the finals last week. It earned a 5.1 demo, with 17.98 million viewers.  I expect, as usual, for the the ratings and viewers to rise with the finals. I'll say two tenths to 5.3 and 700,000 viewers to 18.7 million.

No other series that hit a 3.0.  Scandal, was second with  a 2.9 and  The Millers was third with 2.7.   In total viewers was the two flipped with The Millers at 11.28  million and Scandal, with 8.90 million.  Discounting The Millers (which has TBBT as it's lead in), TBBT had more than twice as many viewers as any other show last night.  In it's timeslot, TBBT demo was higher than the combined demo of the other four shows  (5.1 to 4.8 for the other four shows) and in total viewers in the timeslot,  TBBT also had more than the other four shows combined  (17.98 million to 15.04 million)  While these numbers are subject to adjustments in the final, I expect that TBBT will still have the various leads described here.   Last week The Voice had a 2.5 demo during the common half hour.  This week Parks and Recreation pulled in a 1.2, less than half of The Voice demo. 

I will edit this post later today, the time the finals are release will determine when.  I have a function to attend and if the finals come in at their normal time ~5 PM EST, the finals won't get put up until latter tonight.  If I get them earlier, i'll get them up before I leave tonight.  

Tensor

Edited by Tensor

Final Thursday Ratings 15 November, 2013 Week 8

For Thursday 14 September broadcasts

The final adjustments are in and TBBT earned a 5.15.2, up one tenth in demo, with 17.9818.30 million viewers, up 320,000 viewers.  I expect, as usual, for the the ratings and viewers to rise with the finals. They did, but I'll say two tenths to 5.3 and 700,000 viewers to 18.7 million.only about half of what I predicted.. Up only half of what has been normal for TBBT may sound bad, but TBBT was the only show to be adjusted up, seven shows were adjusted down. All of the seven, except for The Millers, were on NBC or Fox. This was due to the Thursday night football game being broadcast locally on either NBC (in Indianapolis) or Fox (in Nashville). NBC took the bigger hit because of the preemptions.

No other series that hit a 3.0.  Scandal was second with  a 2.9 and  The Millers were third at 2.7 The Millers and  Grey's Anatomy were tied for third with 2.6.   In total viewers was the The Millers at 11.28 11.08 million and Scandal, with 8.90 9.04 million.  Discounting The Millers (which has TBBT as it's lead in), TBBT had more than twice as many viewers as any other show last night.  In it's timeslot, TBBT demo was higher than the combined demo of the other four shows  (5.1 to 4.8 5.2 to 4.6 for the other four shows) and in total viewers in the timeslot,  TBBT also had more than the other four shows combined  (17.98 18.30 million to 15.04  14.66 million  While these numbers are subject to adjustments in the final, I expect that TBBT will still have the various leads described here.   Last week The Voice had a 2.5 demo during the common half hour.  This week Parks and Recreation pulled in a 1.2  1.1 less than half of The Voice demo. 

A couple of notes, the first not related to TBBT, is the The Vampire Diaries, on the CW network, tied for second, in demo, between 8-9 PM with the X-Factor at 1.3. It beat Parks and Recreation on NBC 1.3 to 1.1 and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, on ABC, by 1.3 to 0.9. TBBT, for just that one half hour, tied, in demo, with THE ENTIRE NIGHT ON NBC, at 5.2. In terms of viewers, TBBT, again for just that one half hour, again beat the total number of viewers on NBC, FOR THE ENTIRE NIGHT 18.30 to 15.00 million viewers.

• Like 4

Week Live + 7 18 November, 2013 Week 9

Based on week 6 ratings.

I want to preface this weeks post by letting everyone know there were no Live + 7 ratings for TBBT this week. The Live + 7 ratings for this week included October 31, and TBBT ran a rerun. Reruns are not counted in the Live + 7 as the recording of reruns is minimal. Although, it is interesting to point out that TBBT had a 2.6 demo and 9.18 million viewers. Both higher than some Live + 7 ratings. For instance, the same day ratings of the Oct 31 broadcast, without any lift, would have placed it 17th in the LIVE + 7 demo ratings. In viewers, the total number of same day viewers would have placed it 18 (remember, with no DVR lift) in viewers for the Live + 7.

For the week, the number one for demo was The Voice, Monday edition, with a 5.3. Second place was The Blacklist at 5.1 and there was a three way tie for third between The Voice, Tuesday Edition, Grey's Anatomy, and Scandal with a 4.6. In terms of demo lift, the top three were The Blacklist and Grey's Anatomy with 2.0 to tie for first, and in third was Scandal at 1.7. For comparison, the last TBBT Live + 7 had a total demo of 7.7 with a 2.6 lift.

For viewers, the number one show was NCIS with 23.03 million, second was NCIS:LA with 17.68 Million and third was The Blacklist with 16.61. The top three in terms of viewer lift were The Blacklistwith 6.10 million, Elementary with 4.26 million, and Person of Interest with 4.24 million. Again, for comparison, TBBT had 23.23 million viewers for total Live + 7 prior to this week. In terms of viewer lift, it pulled in 5.59 million DVR viewers.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor