Season 7 Ratings Thread.

Cable ratings news:

TBS Snaps USA’s Yearly Streak With Demo Viewers, But ‘Walking Dead’ Is King Of The Cable Universe In 2013

TBS will snap USA’s seven-year winning streak among 18- to 49-year-old viewers for 2013, though will hang on to its title as the most-watched ad-supported basic cable network for an unprecedented eighth year. Nielsen stats say that with days to go in the calendar year, USA also has maintained its lead with viewers 25-54 viewers for the year, and TBS will edge USA to claim its second yearly win with 18- to 34-year-olds.

TBS, meanwhile, thanks its lucky stars for The Big Bang Theory, which remains basic cable’s No. 1 off-net series for a third year. “They run it continuously in their

prime block; every night it’s on, it’s going to be No. 1 [with younger viewers] — unless The Walking Dead is on,” noted one industry number cruncher.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/tbs-snaps-usas-yearly-streak-with-demo-viewers-but-walking-dead-is-king-of-the-cable-universe-in-13/#more-652425

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, the Thursday (9/27/13) night final numbers are in. And it just gets more amazing. It's just silly, the numbers this show is pulling down at this point in its run, I've done a strike out of the

Posted on 15 May, 2014. Quick overnights for week 34. I'm on an interstate, in the middle of South Carolina, so can't do a full post yet. However want to get this out, TBBT scored a 4.8 demo with 16.

Final numbers are in and adjusted up. 5.2 (up two tenths)in the demo, with 18.22 million viewers( up 470,000). While that is down from last week, it is still the sixth highest number of viewers ever

Week 13 Live + 7. 16 December , 2013

Based on week ten ratings.

A note right off the bat. TBBT was in reruns this week (Thanksgiving), and the DVR rations do not contain reruns. There will be a different look to the ratings this week as there were several of the higher rated show that were running reruns.

For the week, The Blacklist was the number one entertainment show in the demo with the 5.1 in demo. Second place was tie betweenHow I Met Your Mother and Monday's The Voice with a 4.1. In terms of demo lift, the top three were The Blacklist with 2.1, second place was Sleepy Hollow at 1.4 and there was a four way tie for third at 1.3. Just for comparison, TBBT average Live + 7 demo is 7.8 with a lift of 2.2.

For viewers, the top show was The Blacklist with 17.34 million, Person of Interest was second with 17.17 million viewers and third was Castle with 15.89 Million. The highest rated half hour comedy was How I Met Your Mother, with 9.82 million viewers. The top three in terms of viewer lift were The Blacklist with 6.38 million,Person of Interest with 5.28 million, and Castle with 4.48 million. Again, for comparison, TBBT Live + 7 average total viewers is 23.76 million and the average lift is 5.52 million.

And yes, that number is correct for The Blacklist. The Blacklist is averaging over 6 million lift.

Tensor

Tuesday, December 17,2013. Weekly Rankings Week 13 

ratings based on Week eleven numbers.

There is only one non-scheduled program this week, the recap show on Fox, The OT(this is not Sunday Night Football pregame). For the week, Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo with a 5.6 andNCIS led viewers with 19.30 million. TBBT, was number 2 in demo and number 2 in viewers. SNF was third in viewers 

The top ten in demo follows.

Show                                 18-49 demo                    18-49 viewers

SNF                                         5.6                                  7,052,000
TBBT                                       5.1                                  6,466,000

Modern Family                         3.5                                  4,502,000
The Simpsons                          3.5                                  4,501,000

SNF Pregame                          3.5                                  4,494,000

The Voice (Mon)                      3.5                                  4,399,000

Victoria's Secret Fashion         3.4                                  4,302,000

Scandal                                    3.2                                  4,048,000

The Voice (Tue)                        3.1                                  3,979,000
Family Guy                               3.0                                  3,864,000

TBBT was the only regularly scheduled scripted entertainment program to score a demo above a 3.5   

Show                                           Total viewers

NCIS                                             19,297,000

TBBT                                            17,678,000

SNF                                              16,433,000

NCIS:LA                                        15,242,000
The Voice (Mon)                           13,200,000
The Voice (Tue)                            11,518,000
Criminal Minds                              11,193,000
Blue Bloods                                  10,941,000

The Millers                                    10,928,000

SNF Pregame                               10,812,000

I suspect that TBBT, based on historicals, will surpass SNF in demo and NCIS in viewers, once the Live + 7 data comes in.   

We'll cover Syndication Tomorrow.  

Tensor

Posted on 19 December, 2013 Syndication for Week 13.

Based on week twelve ratings.

While the rankings for household rating remained the same, rankings for viewers changed quite a bit this week. TBBT finished in fourth place, behind Judge Judy(JJ) and Wheel of Fortune (WF) and Jeopardy (JY). In the household rating (we normally look at the 18-49 demo, but in syndication, it's more how many households and total viewers), JJ and WF tied for first with a 7.2, JY had a 6.5 and TBBT was at 6.4. WF was first in viewers with 11.40 million, over a million ahead of JY with 10.22 and TBBT with 10.15. JJ, which normally finishes in second, tumbled all the way to fourth in viewers this week with 9.85 million. The weekend version of TBBT on TBS tied with the weekday showings of Modern Family with a 5.1 but was ahead in viewers with 7.92 million, compared to Modern Family which had 7.87 million. This is only the second week this year that TBBT has broken 10 million viewers in weekday syndication. Of course, it's the only scripted show in syndication to do that. The Modern Family numbers above are the closest scripted show to TBBT and that show is 1.3 ratings points behind in households and 2.2 million viewers behind.

If you look at the syndication ratings, the #1 and #4 programs were football and Weekend Adventure a three hour block for kids on Saturday mornings. Due to a quirk of how the ratings are collected, football and Saturday kids shows show up in the syndication ratings, although they shouldn't. What happens is that it is published with the syndication, then basically ignored on the list .

Tensor

Overnights 20 December, 2013;  Week 13 

For Thursday 19 December broadcasts

TBBT ran a repeat of 7.02, The Deception Verification and was the top  program of the night in both demo, at 2.8 and in viewers with 11.13 million.

What amazing is that no other show broke a 2.0, in demo or 10 million viewers,  including several first run shows and a couple of specials and the Finale of The X-factor. There were four shows tied for second with  a 1.7 demo. In total viewers The Millers, was in second at 7.57 million and The X-Factor, with 6.20 million. Remember, The Millers  is the lead out of TBBT. The Millers lost about 33% of the viewers (3.5 million)and 40% of the demo (1.1 rating points) TBBT is usually adjusted up, but with a repeat, it's tough to predict. I'll say up one tenth and 150,000 viewers. You can laugh at me later, when the finals come out.

I will edit this post later today, the time the finals are release will determine when.

Tensor

• Like 1

Final Thursday Ratings for 20 December, 2013;  Week 13 

TBBT ran a repeat of 7.02, The Deception Verification and was the top  program of the night in both demo, at 2.8 and in viewers with 11.13 million  11.25 million.

What amazing is that no other show broke a 2.0, in demo or 10 million viewers,  including several first run shows and a couple of specials and the Finale of The X-factor. There were four shows tied for second with  a 1.7 demo. In total viewers The Millers, was in second at 7.57   7.54  million and The X-Factor, with 6.20 million   A Charlie Brown Christmas, with 6.41 million. Remember, The Millers  is the lead out of TBBT. The Millers lost about 33% of the viewers (3.5 million)and 40% of the demo (1.1 rating points) TBBT is usually adjusted up, but with a repeat, it's tough to predict. I'll say up one tenth and 150,000 viewers. You can laugh at me later, when the finals come out.  You get to laugh kinda, sorta, while the demo stayed the same,  the viewers went up by 120,000, almost the 150,000 I predicted. 

I pointed out that TBBT, while running a repeat, was the top rated show in both viewers and demo.    TBBT has now run seven repeats this year.  Three on Mondays, taking the place of the cancelled We Are Men, until Mike and Molly got their production underway.  This is the fourth Thursday rerun(with another one to come next Thursday).  For those seven reruns, it is averaging 2.6 in the demo and 9.64 million in viewers.   Those average repeat numbers, if considered as a separate series, would make it the 11th most watch scripted show in the demo, and  the 12th most watched show in terms of number of viewers.  

If only the in time slot repeats are considered, TBBT has an average  2.7 demo rating, with 10.6 million viewers.  Both of those would place it 10th for the year, for scripted series.

Tensor

• Like 1

Final Thursday Ratings for 20 December, 2013;  Week 13 

TBBT ran a repeat of 7.02, The Deception Verification and was the top  program of the night in both demo, at 2.8 and in viewers with 11.13 million  11.25 million.

What amazing is that no other show broke a 2.0, in demo or 10 million viewers,  including several first run shows and a couple of specials and the Finale of The X-factor. There were four shows tied for second with  a 1.7 demo. In total viewers The Millers, was in second at 7.57   7.54  million and The X-Factor, with 6.20 million   A Charlie Brown Christmas, with 6.41 million. Remember, The Millers  is the lead out of TBBT. The Millers lost about 33% of the viewers (3.5 million)and 40% of the demo (1.1 rating points) TBBT is usually adjusted up, but with a repeat, it's tough to predict. I'll say up one tenth and 150,000 viewers. You can laugh at me later, when the finals come out.  You get to laugh kinda, sorta, while the demo stayed the same,  the viewers went up by 120,000, almost the 150,000 I predicted. 

I pointed out that TBBT, while running a repeat, was the top rated show in both viewers and demo.    TBBT has now run seven repeats this year.  Three on Mondays, taking the place of the cancelled We Are Men, until Mike and Molly got their production underway.  This is the fourth Thursday rerun(with another one to come next Thursday).  For those seven reruns, it is averaging 2.6 in the demo and 9.64 million in viewers.   Those average repeat numbers, if considered as a separate series, would make it the 11th most watch scripted show in the demo, and  the 12th most watched show in terms of number of viewers.  

If only the in time slot repeats are considered, TBBT has an average  2.7 demo rating, with 10.6 million viewers.  Both of those would place it 10th for the year, for scripted series.

Tensor

Tensor,

As a ratings guru, could you tell me what Friends ratings were in the last couple of seasons. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to obtain this type of info.

Thanks

Tensor,

As a ratings guru, could you tell me what Friends ratings were in the last couple of seasons. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to obtain this type of info.

Thanks

I have SOME, data (Credit for some of the following data and calculations go to the site Spotted Ratings).   The problem is you are going to be looking at raw numbers that have no relation to the raw numbers that we get in this era.  So bear with me as I attempt to give you some context for the Friends numbers and some comparisons to TBBT.    For example, the following is the last five years of Friends, as you can see, TBBT looks like a complete failure compared to the following numbers in the demo.  

Season/Year                      18-49 ratings                     Average viewers           Season Rank

6    1999-2000                          12.6                                  20.7 million                        5

7    2000-01                              12.1                                  20.2 million                        4

8    2001-02                              13.0                                  24.5 million                        1

9    2002-03                              11.4                                  21.6 million                        3

For fun, and to give you some idea of how much TV viewing has changed in the last 10 years, I'll put Friends last year here, compared to this year of TBBT

Friends  10/2003-04                 12.2                                  22.8 million                        3

TBBT       7/2013-14                   5.3                                  18.0 million                        2

Those rankings are based on the total viewers.  While Friends looks like it had a great many more viewers, the number available is quite different.   On 12 December, in it's time slot, TBBT had 17.68 million viewers, but the total number of broadcast viewers was 32.9 million.  TBBT had  54% of the viewers.   In Season 10 of Friends, it averaged 22.8 million.  I only have ratings for two shows in the time slot.   Friends with 22.8 and Survivor with 24.1 million.  I'm missing numbers for FOX, ABC,  CW, and UPN.  But, even with only two networks, there were 46.9 million viewers, 14 million more viewers than there are today.   Some extrapolation from some other nights, shows, and years allows an estimation for the number of viewers in that time slot, about 60 million viewers for broadcast television, almost twice the number of viewers available today.   Friends was pulling in 38% of the viewers (remember, this is an estimate), in today's environment, that 38% would be about 12.5 million viewers.  If there were 60 million viewers available today, TBBT, with it's percentage,  would have approximately 32 million viewers.  

This is not to say that Friends would not be a big hit today or that TBBT would have had the same percentage back in 2003-04.  Using some calculations that can approximate the decline in viewership shows that the 12.2 demo would be approximately equal to a 6.3 demo today, about one rating point greater than TBBT.  However, that said, there is no way to show how the change in the number of specialty channels would really affect the ratings from previous years.  Its just truly amazing that TBBT (and the number one in viewers NCIS at 19.5 million) pulls in viewer numbers comparable to those years when there were so many more viewers  (it would have finished in 9th place in 2003-04, in viewers, NCIS in 8th).   Note that Friends would have a higher demo, but TBBT would have more viewers.  As I said, the numbers are estimates and calculations which I'm using to give some context to the numbers from different years and conditions.

One note I can't help bringing up.  The series finale of MASH, had 125 million people watching it, twice as many as the total available in 2004.  Although that is obviously a special number, due to the circumstance of it being the series finale, it should give you some idea of the number of people available for watching broadcast television back in 1981, compared to today.   

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

I have SOME, data (Credit for some of the following data and calculations go to the site Spotted Ratings).   The problem is you are going to be looking at raw numbers that have no relation to the raw numbers that we get in this era.  So bear with me as I attempt to give you some context for the Friends numbers and some comparisons to TBBT.    For example, the following is the last five years of Friends, as you can see, TBBT looks like a complete failure compared to the following numbers in the demo.  

Season/Year                      18-49 ratings                     Average viewers           Season Rank

6    1999-2000                          12.6                                  20.7 million                        5

7    2000-01                              12.1                                  20.2 million                        4

8    2001-02                              13.0                                  24.5 million                        1

9    2002-03                              11.4                                  21.6 million                        3

For fun, and to give you some idea of how much TV viewing has changed in the last 10 years, I'll put Friends last year here, compared to this year of TBBT

Friends  10/2003-04                 12.2                                  22.8 million                        3

TBBT       7/2013-14                   5.3                                  18.0 million                        2

Those rankings are based on the total viewers.  While Friends looks like it had a great many more viewers, the number available is quite different.   On 12 December, in it's time slot, TBBT had 17.68 million viewers, but the total number of broadcast viewers was 32.9 million.  TBBT had  54% of the viewers.   In Season 10 of Friends, it averaged 22.8 million.  I only have ratings for two shows in the time slot.   Friends with 22.8 and Survivor with 24.1 million.  I'm missing numbers for FOX, ABC,  CW, and UPN.  But, even with only two networks, there were 46.9 million viewers, 14 million more viewers than there are today.   Some extrapolation from some other nights, shows, and years allows an estimation for the number of viewers in that time slot, about 60 million viewers for broadcast television, almost twice the number of viewers available today.   Friends was pulling in 38% of the viewers (remember, this is an estimate), in today's environment, that 38% would be about 12.5 million viewers.  If there were 60 million viewers available today, TBBT, with it's percentage,  would have approximately 32 million viewers.  

This is not to say that Friends would not be a big hit today or that TBBT would have had the same percentage back in 2003-04.  Using some calculations that can approximate the decline in viewership shows that the 12.2 demo would be approximately equal to a 6.3 demo today, about one rating point greater than TBBT.  However, that said, there is no way to show how the change in the number of specialty channels would really affect the ratings from previous years.  Its just truly amazing that TBBT (and the number one in viewers NCIS at 19.5 million) pulls in viewer numbers comparable to those years when there were so many more viewers  (it would have finished in 9th place in 2003-04, in viewers, NCIS in 8th).   Note that Friends would have a higher demo, but TBBT would have more viewers.  As I said, the numbers are estimates and calculations which I'm using to give some context to the numbers from different years and conditions.

One note I can't help bringing up.  The series finale of MASH, had 125 million people watching it, twice as many as the total available in 2004.  Although that is obviously a special number, due to the circumstance of it being the series finale, it should give you some idea of the number of people available for watching broadcast television back in 1981, compared to today.   

Thanks for that. Very informative. Had no idea TV viewing numbers had gone down so dramatically. TBBT stands up pretty well.

Thanks for that. Very informative. Had no idea TV viewing numbers had gone down so dramatically. TBBT stands up pretty well.

You are quite welcome. Since around 2004, viewership, for broadcast television, has dropped ~7-8% a year. Total viewers has dropped far, far less as viewers moved to cable and internet. For instance, most of my viewing is cable channels or on the internet. And in reality, I have the TV on as background noise.

You are quite welcome. Since around 2004, viewership, for broadcast television, has dropped ~7-8% a year. Total viewers has dropped far, far less as viewers moved to cable and internet. For instance, most of my viewing is cable channels or on the internet. And in reality, I have the TV on as background noise.

Of rourse. we call it pay tv{cable} and free-to-air. I hardly ever watch free-to-air (mainly live sport)

Week 14 Live + 7. 23 December , 2013

Based on week Eleven ratings.

The total lift (number of viewers watching on DVR over the last seven days) for this episode (7.11The Discovery Dissipation)( the episode number was incorrect, it was 7.10, not 7.11. Thanks to Chiany for catching that and letting me know) was 5.19 million. In terms of demo, there was a 2.3 point increase with DVR viewing. With that 2.6 demo lift, the total demo for this episode was a 7.1. This was the lowest total demo for the show this year. With the lift, the total viewers were 20.82 million, the lowest total Live + 7 for the year. Two things, one, the original episode ran after a week off and it ran against The Sound of Music:Live, the highest demo it has run a new show against this year. This doesn't appear to be a trend, as the show the week after this, was up over 2 million viewers on the Live + Same Day.

Even with this episode being the lowest Live + 7 total, TBBT was still the number one entertainment show in the demo with the 7.1. Second place was Modern Family with a 5.5 and third was The Blacklist with a 5.2. Even thought TBBT's 4.8 demo for Live + SD was tied for the lowest of the year, it was still higher than all the shows Live + 7 except Modern Family at 5.5 and The Blacklist with a 5.2. In terms of demo lift, the top three were TBBT with 2.3, second place was Modern Family at 2.2 and third was The Blacklist at 2.0.

For viewers, the top show was TBBT with 20.82 million, The Sound of Music: Live was second with 20.18 million viewers and third was The Blacklist with 17.54 Million. The closest half hour comedy was Modern Family, with 14.14 million viewers. The top three in terms of viewer lift were The Blacklist, with 5.86 million, TBBT with 5.19 million, and Elementary with 4.85 million .

I'll note, The Sound of Music: Live, really seemed to be a live event and the number for it above are estimates. it did not make either the highest demo lift (which means it is below 0.6, nor did it make the highest viewer lift (which means it is below 1.5 million.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1

Tuesday, December 24,2013. Weekly Rankings Week 14 

ratings based on Week thirteen numbers.

It's come to the point in the season where the networks are hit or miss concerning new shows. For instance, except for Monday night, all of CBS' comedies were repeats. For the week, Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo with a 6.2 rating andNCIS led viewers with 19.65 million. TBBT, with a repeat, was number 6 in demo and number 8 in viewers. Again, remember this was a repeat. It was the highest rated half hour comedy, the closest new show was How I Met Your Mother, with a 2.7 and the next highest comedy repeat was Mondern Family with a 1.7.

Show                                 18-49 demo                    18-49 viewers

SNF                                          6.2                                  7,931,000

The Voice (Tue)                        4.0                                  5,051,000

SNF Pregame                           3.6                                  4,550,000

The Voice (Mon)                       3.3                                  4,247,000

NCIS                                         2.9                                  3,646,000

TBBT  (R )                                 2.8                                  3,588,000

How I Met Your Mother             2.7                                  3,469,000

NCIS:LA                                    2.4                                  3,081,000

2 Broke Girls                             2.3                                  2,936,000

Barbara Walters Presents (S)    2.2                                  2,832,000

Repeats are show with an (R ) and Specials with an (S) 

NCIS                                             19,651,000

SNF                                              18,278,000

NCIS:LA                                        15,581,000

The Voice (Mon)                           14,010,000

The Voice (Tue)                            12,681,000

Person of Interest                         12,397,000

60 Minutes                                    11,966,000

TBBT   (R )                                    11,251,000

SNF Pregame                               10,617,000
Blue Bloods                                  10,524,000

As with any repeat, we won't have access to the Live + 7 data for TBBT, for this week.  

I'll have to wait to see exactly when the Syndication results  will be released this week.  If it's later today, I'll try to get to it tonight.  If it's tomorrow or Thursday, it won't be until Thursday.  

Tensor

• Like 1

Week 14 Live + 7. 23 December , 2013

Based on week Eleven ratings.

The total lift (number of viewers watching on DVR over the last seven days) for this episode (7.11 The Discovery Dissipation).

You got the title/episode number wrong ;)

But thanks for the stats, as always.

You got the title/episode number wrong ;)

But thanks for the stats, as always.

Yeah, the number was wrong. Mea Culpa. Thanks for letting me know. For some reason I saw the eleventh week of the season and put 7.11. It's been edited to 7.10.

Posted on 24 December, 2013 Syndication for Week 14.

Based on week thirteen ratings.

OK, the syndication ratings came in this afternoon, so I am able to get the post done tonight.   While the rankings for household rating remained the same, rankings for viewers, again, changed quite a bit this week. TBBT finished in fourth place, behind Judge Judy(JJ) and Wheel of Fortune (WF) and Jeopardy (JY) in the household rating (we normally look at the 18-49 demo, but in syndication, it's more how many households and total viewers).  JJ led with a 7.5, WF was second with a 7.2, JY had a 6.7 and TBBT was at 6.3.   As usual, WF was first in viewers with 11.61 million, over a million ahead of second place JY with a 10.53.   JJ finished third with 10.32 and TBBT was fourth with 9.97.  The weekend version of TBBT was fifth, with a 5.6 demo,  with 8.83 million viewers.

If you look at the syndication ratings, the #1 and #7 programs were football and Weekend Adventure a three hour block for kids on Saturday mornings, was second. Due to a quirk of how the ratings are collected, football and Saturday kids shows show up in the syndication ratings, although they shouldn't. What happens is that it is published with the syndication, then basically ignored on the list .

To all, a happy holiday season, no matter what holiday you celebrate.  

Tensor

News and Notes for week 14, 25 December, 2013

Over the last several weeks, two articles, written by Oma bin, have been posted at Spoliler TV .   The first, on December 10th, covered ABC and FOX .   The second, published on December 22, covered CBS and NBC .   If you haven’t read them, you should head over there right now and do so.  They are an excellent analysis of the whether a show may be cancelled or not, and why.

While reading the articles, I realized that it would be possible to play around with the numbers a bit, and possibly find some interesting tidbits or squeeze out some different way of looking at things.   Now, before I do this, I want to stress that while the numbers are valid, manipulating them the way I am going to, may not be entirely valid.   Oma bin used them to compare shows on the same network and to dig into whether or not a show, ON A SPECIFIC NETWORK, will be renewed compared to other shows on the network.  Comparing them across networks, may not be valid, but in a general sense, I think it is valid enough for my points to be understood.

I want to thank Spoiler TV and darkUFO (who currently heads the site) for permission to use the data, and of course, Oma bin for the excellent articles.   I want to stress that I am only using the data from Oma bin.  Any errors, incorrect calculations, or erroneous conclusions, based on my speculations, are my fault, not Oma bin’s.  

Let me make a few observations.  One, Oma bin, with a limited amount of comedies available on NBC, chose to use the entire network scripted average.  While this is a valid way of trying to smooth out large changes do to a small sample size, I’m not doing that.  I’m going to use just the average of the four comedies, to maintain consistency over the four networks.  

Also, some of the numbers may look a bit different than numbers that I’ve used in several posts here.  I suspect that Oma bin has used all the shows in a particular time slot.   There have been 11 new TBBT, with an average rating of 5.25.   There have(at the time the article was written) been seven repeats.  Three on Mondays, and four on Thursdays.   Since I’m not sure exactly which repeats, if any, that Oma bin used, I’ll just keep using Oma bin’s numbers, to be consistent. 

Finally, as Oma bin notes, the data used in the articles are based on the more recent ratings, not the entire season. To maintain consistency for my calculations, I’m just using the show numbers in the article and I also added back the comedies that were cancelled.  This gives a bit of a different average for each network from the ones Oma bin used.  In the following tables, Oma bin’s average, for each network is on the top line of each grouping.  The average I’m using is in the blurb following each grouping.

So, now that all the disclaimers are out of the way, let’s look at the numbers for each of the Networks.  Each line has the Show and the network (shows are grouped by network).   These are followed by the shows 18-49 rating and the percentage of the network average.  Shows with a ( C ) after them, have already been cancelled:

ABC                                                    1. 80

Modern Family                                    3.60      194%

The Middle                                          2.20      119%

Super Fun Night                                  1. 80        97%

Back in the Game ( C )                       1.75         94%

Last Man Standing                              1.60         86%

The Goldbergs                                    1.60         86%

Trophy Wife                                         1.20        65%

The Neighbors                                     1.10        59%

Note: The comedy average for ABC was a 1.85 rating

FOX                                                     1.40

New Girl                                              1. 80      128%

Brooklyn 99                                         1.50      107%

Mindy Project                                      1.30        92%

Dads                                                    1.30        92%

Raising Hope                                       1.10        78%

Note:The comedy average for FOX was a 1.40 rating

NBC                                                     1.60

Parks and Recreation                          1.00       105%

Sean Saves the World                         1.00       105%

The Michael J. Fox Show                     0.90        94%

Welcome to the Family ( C )                 0.90        94%

Note:  The rating for NBC comedies was 0.95.  Remember, Oma bin used the full network average, which was 1.60.  

CBS                                                      2.70

The Big Bang Theory                           5.10       198%

2 Broke Girls                                        2.60       101%

The Millers                                            2.60       101%

Mike and Molly                                     2.20          85%

The Crazy Ones                                   2.10          82%

Two and a Half Men                             2.10          82%

Mom                                                     2.00          78%

We Are Men ( C )                                  1.90          74%

Note: The average for CBS comedies was 2.58

The rating numbers are what Oma bin used in the articles (the percentages are a bit different due to differences I explained above.)  The first thing to note is how strong the CBS comedies are.    They are the only ones that are averaging above a 2.5.  Of course,  TBBT is huge and contributes to that.  But, even if TBBT is taken out, the CBS comedies still come at 2.2, four tenths of a point ahead of the next closest network and the only average above a 2.0.

The other thing to note is just how awful the NBC comedies are doing.  The highest rated NBC comedy would be in last place on every other network.   Conversely, on CBS, We Are Men was canceled with a 1.9 rating.  That rating would have made it a top three comedy on ABC (the second strongest network), and the number one comedy on FOX and NBC.

One other thing I should point out.  While the raw rating numbers, in this case the number after a show, not the percentage, is the basic thing used for deciding to cancel a show, it’s not always cut and dried.   Lead in rating, night of broadcast, how close to syndication and cost of the show all figure into it.  

For instance, 2 Broke Girls is one season away from having enough episodes to go into syndication (usually thought to be 88 episodes or so).   The production company, as Oma bin pointed out, would probably give CBS a reduction on the licensing costs, to make sure that fourth season get’s produced (it’s actually a moot point, as 2 Broke Girls is tied for the third highest rated comedy, it’s in no danger of being cancelled), as the money made from syndication can subsidize that last year of needed shows.   Also, if a show is produced by the networks production company, it has an advantage, as the network is making money from the production of the show.  

Next, I’ll start manipulating the numbers.  I’m going to combine all the shows and figure out what the average comedy rating is, and then figure the percentage from that.  The following chart lists all the live action comedies:

Show                                   Network         Rating          Percentage

The Big Bang Theory             CBS              5.10               276%

Modern Family                       ABC              3.60               195%

2 Broke Girls                          CBS              2.60               141%

The Millers                             CBS               2.60               141%

The Middle                             ABC               2.20               119%

Mike and Molly                       CBS               2.20               119%

The Crazy Ones                     CBS               2.10               114%

Two and a Half Men               CBS               2.10               114%

Mom                                       CBS               2.00               108%

We Are Men ( C )                    CBS               1.90               103%

Super Fun Night                      ABC               1. 80                 97%

New Girl                                  FOX                1. 80                 97%

Back in the Game ( C )            ABC               1.75                 95%

Last Man Standing                   ABC               1.60                 86%

The Goldbergs                         ABC               1.60                 86%

Brooklyn 99                              FOX               1.50                 81%

Mindy Project                           FOX               1.30                 70%

Dads                                         FOX               1.30                 70%

Trophy Wife                              ABC               1.20                 65%

The Neighbors                          ABC               1.10                 59%

Raising Hope                            FOX                1.10                 59%

Parks and Recreation               NBC               1.00                 54%

Sean Saves the World              NBC               1.00                  54%

The Michael J. Fox Show         NBC                0.90                 49%

Welcome to the Family ( C )     NBC                0.90                 49%

The broadcast comedy average (25 comedy shows) is right at 1.85, basically the same as ABC.   We Are Men, was cancelled, while it’s ratings were above the average of all comedies.  As a matter of fact, We Are Men was the 10th highest rated comedy show this fall.  It had the unfortunate luck of being on the network with the highest average rating for comedies.  

All eight of CBS‘ comedies are in the top ten, the other two are from ABC.  The four lowest rated shows are the four shows on NBC.   The other two points I want to make are that there is only one show above a 4.0 (TBBT at 5.1) and only one other above a 3.0 (Modern Family at 3.6).  Every other show is below a 3.0.    

In the next article, I will look at what happens if we move some of the shows to different networks.  The move changes the network’s average rating, and also, the percentages of each of the shows.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

Overnights 27 December, 2013;  Week 14 

For Thursday 26 December broadcasts

TBBT ran a repeat of 6.23, The Love Spell Potential and it was the top  program of the night in both demo, at 2.6 and in viewers with 10.97 million.

Again, no other show broke a 2.0 and eight of the fourteen shows last night didn't break a 1.0, in demo.  TBBT was the only show to break 10 million viewers, and essentially at least brought in double the amount of every other show, except for it's lead out, The Millers.   Although, to be fair,  there was only one first run show last night, everything else was repeats.  In second with  a 1.7 demo was The Millers and there was  tie for third, with a 1.3 demo between Shark Tank and The Women of SNL.  In total viewers The Millers, was in second at 7.44 million and Shark Tank, with 5.58 million was in third.  Remember, The Millers  is the lead out of TBBT.  The Millers lost about 33% of the viewers (3.5 million)and about 33 % of the demo (0.9  rating points).    TBBT is usually adjusted up, but, with a repeat,  much like last week it's tough to predict.  I'll say up one tenth and 120,000 viewers.   Hopefully, I'll be closer than I was last week and you won't be able to laugh at me later, when the finals come out.

I will edit this post later today, the time the finals are release will determine when.

Tensor

• Like 1

Final Ratings for 27 December, 2013;  Week 14 

For Thursday 26 December broadcasts

TBBT ran a repeat of 6.23, The Love Spell Potential and it was the top  program of the night in both demo, at 2.6 and in viewers with 10.97 10.98 million.

Again, no other show broke a 2.0 and eight of the fourteen shows last night didn't break a 1.0, in demo.  TBBT was the only show to break 10 million viewers, and essentially at least brought in double the amount of every other show, except for it's lead out, The Millers.  With the finals, Shark Tank climbed to 5.67 million, which, if double, would also be higher than TBBT total viewers.   Although, to be fair,  there was only one first run show last night, everything else was repeats.  In second with  a 1.7 1.6 demo was The Millers and there was  tie for third, with a 1.3 demo between Shark Tank and The Women of SNL.  in third was The Women of SNL, with a 1.4.  In total viewers The Millers, was in second at 7.44 7.14 million and Shark Tank, with 5.58  5.67  million was in third.  Remember, The Millers  is the lead out of TBBT.  The Millers lost about 33% of the viewers (3.5 million)  35% of the viewers (3.85 million)  and about 33 % of the demo (0.9  rating points)   40 % of the demo (1.0  rating points).    TBBT is usually adjusted up, but, with a repeat,  much like last week it's tough to predict.  I'll say up one tenth and 120,000 viewers.   Hopefully, I'll be closer than I was last week and you won't be able to laugh at me later, when the finals come out.  LOL, you can all laugh, the demo, again, stayed the same and viewers only went up by 10,000 viewers.

One final thing.  Last week I gave the rating and viewer average for the repeats (2.7 demo and 10.6 million).   This week was down a tenth, from the average (2.6),  but increased by 400,000 viewers(10.98 million), from the average.  

Tensor

Week 15 Live + 7; 30 December , 2013

Based on week Twelve ratings.

Sorry for not getting this out yesterday, I was running around buying a new car.  

The total lift (number of viewers watching on DVR over the last seven days) for this episode (7.11 The Cooper Extraction) was 5.76 million. In terms of demo, there was a 2.5 point increase with DVR viewing. With that 2.5 demo lift, the total demo for this episode was a 7.6. This was up from the previous week, when The Sound of Music:Live aired.   With the lift, the total viewers were 23.44 million. 

Even with this episode being the lowest Live + 7 total, TBBT was still the number one entertainment show in the demo with the 7.6. Second place was Modern Family with a 5.4 and third was Scandal with a 4.6. As usual, TBBT's 5.1 demo for Live + SD was higher than all the other show's Live + 7 except Modern Family at 5.4. In terms of demo lift, the top three were TBBT with 2.5, second place was Modern Family at 1.9 and third was Grey's Anatomy at 1.8.

For viewers, the top show was TBBT with 23.44 million, Followed closely by NCIS in second with 23.40 million viewers and third was NCIS:LA with 18.47 Million. The closest half hour comedy was Modern Family, with 14.63 million viewers. The top three in terms of viewer lift were  TBBT with 5.76 million,  Elementary, with 4.68 million,and NCIS with 4.10 million .

I'll note here, that TBBT leads NCIS for total viewers in the Live + 7.  Last year, NCIS led TBBT for both Live + SD and Live + 7.   I'll go into more detail in the next few weeks. 

Tensor

The weekly rankings will come later this afternoon.

Tuesday, December 31,2013. Weekly Rankings Week 15 

ratings based on Week fourteen numbers.

It was a bit of a strange week with very little original programing in the top 25, only seven shows were not repeats.   Four shows were related to football, one was a singing competition (Sing Off), which finished 9th (1.4).  The second was Christmas light competition (The Great Christmas Light Fight-3), which finished fifteenth (1.3), and finally, a news program (20/20) which finished 24th (1.1).  With such a small amount of new stuff,  I was debating on whether it was worth the effort to put out the full top ten rankings this week.   I finally decided to go ahead, so we would have the rankings for each week in the season.  

For the week, Sunday Night Football (SNF) led the demo with a 9.3 rating and also led viewers with 27.36 million.  TBBT, with a repeat, was number 3 in demo and number and in viewers.  There are, what I feel, are some interesting points I will make at the end of the post.

SNF                                           9.3                                11,801,000

SNF Pregame                           4.8                                  6,055,000

TBBT             (R )                      2.6                                  3,356,000

Simpsons       (R )                     2.2                                   2,755,000

60 Minutes     (R )                     1.7                                   2,199,000

Simpsons       (RS)                    1.7                                   2,201,000

Family Guy     (R )                     1.7                                   2,142,000

The Millers     (R )                      1.6                                  2,049,000

SNF Pregame  (1st half hour)    1.4                                  1,813,000

Sing Off                                      1.4                                  1,716,000

Repeats are show with an (R ) and Specials with an (S) 

SNF                                               27,363,000

SNF Pregame                               14,584,000

TBBT          (R )                             10,982,000

60 Minutes  (R )                             10,470,000

Kennedy Center Honors                  7,176,000

The Millers   (R )                              7,143,000

NCIS            (RS)                             7,141,000

NCIS:LA       (RS)                             6,956,000

Dateline        (R )                              6,223,000

Person of Interest  (R )                     5,860,000

Note the huge number for demo and viewers for SNF.    As with any repeat, we won't have access to the Live + 7 data for TBBT, for this week.  

In terms of demo,  except for  The Millers, at 1.7(which is TBBT lead out), TBBT at least doubled every other live action series for the week.  Yes, every other live action series (drama and comedy) was at a 1.3 or lower.  TBBT was the only scripted series to have more than 10  million viewers.   For those who remember the New and Notes that was posted on December 25th (those who don't, scroll up a couple of posts and read it.   Go ahead, I'll wait….) I pointed out that the average demo for an original episode of a scripted comedy this year is a 1.85.  TBBT was the only series to beat the average of NEW SHOWS.  Everything else was below the average rating.  

Again, I'll have to wait to see exactly when the Syndication results  will be released this week.  If it's later today, I'll try to get to it tonight.  If it's tomorrow I'll see if what I can do to get it posted tomorrow.  If it doesn't get released until  Thursday, it won't be until Thursday that it gets posted.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1

News and Notes for Week 15; 01 January 2014

Well, I intended to finish up my look at the demo ratings of the comedies. How the network demo would look different and how the shows would compare, if we moved some shows to other networks. However, I am trying to finish up a chapter in my Fan Fic and I've been busy, and I need to put some formulas into the spreadsheet before I can write it. So, you will get a look at how NCIS and TBBT compare in total viewers for the year (for new episodes), and the demo comparisons next week.

TBBT is averaging just a tick under 18 Million (17.96) viewers this year and NCIS is bringing in an average of 19.33 million a show, about 1.4 million more than TBBT has been averaging. NCIS has been very consistent this year with a high of 20.02 million for the premiere and a low of 18.33 million in week three, only a 1.7 million difference. However, the last six episodes have been even more consistent, with a high of 19.65 and a low of 19.30, a difference of only 350,000 for the high and low the last six weeks.

By comparison, TBBT has had a high of 20.44 million for the second episode of premiere night and a low of 15.63 million(the night of The Sound of Music:Live, the difference there being almost 5 million people. And, there is no consistency (although, again TSOML was very strong). The show went from the third highest at 18.94 million, to the low at 15.63 to the fourth highest at 17.68 million. It will be interesting to see how it does tonight, with very limited competition. Last year it set the highest number of viewers ever for the series, only to see that beaten the very next week with it's first show over 20 million. We may also have to take into account the three week layoff. That low of 15.63 million also came after the first one week break of the year.

If we move to the Live + 7 numbers, TBBT moves into the lead. It is currently averaging 23.47 million viewers. NCIS is averaging 23.14 million, just above 300,000 less than TBBT. This means that TBBT is pulling in roughly 2 Million more people than NCIS is on DVR. TBBT is averaging 5.5 million DVR viewers. NCIS has around 3.5 million. These two are the only shows getting above 20 million in Live + 7,(as a matter of fact, they are both over 23 million) of course, they are the only shows averaging above 18 million for same day viewing (Yeah, indulge me. It's only 40,000 short of being over 18 million.

That second episode of TBBT, with 20.44 million is the most watched scripted series in Live + SD this year, beating the 20.02 million that NCIS pulled in for it's premiere. Those two are the only scripted shows over 20 million this year on broadcast television.

If you add the Live + 7, TBBT again is the highest viewed show this year (and the second), with 26.15 million for the second show on premier night, the only scripted show to get above 25 million this year. It later almost went over 25 million with 24.95 million for the Thanksgiving episode. NCIS had the three and four most watched with 24.67 and 24.45 million, for it's first two shows of the year. TBBT went over 24 million one other time, the premiere episode.

Well, the syndicated rankings didn't get released today, so I'll probably do those Thursday.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor

I get more detailed in a bit, but I want to get this out. Overnight ratings were 5.3 in demo, with18.93 million, fourth highest this season. Let's say up by two tenths and 500,000 viewers when finals come out.

Tensor

• Like 4

I want to update this as the syndicated ratings, for the week, have not been released yet. Nor have the final ratings for Thursday been released on Friday. Hopefully, the data for both of those will be released this weekend so I can update. If not, I'll have a busy Monday with those two and the Live + 7.