Laugh track?

Hi all! I read on another website (tvtropes.org) that this show uses a laugh track. But this site has a taping schedule, and I went to the very last page of this forum and found a blog entry from a woman named Meaghan (that's my name! same spelling!) who went to a taping. So... laugh track or live studio audience? Thanks!!!

Hi Meaghan, TBBT is taped in front of an audience and in some scenes you can hear the audience is clearly reacting to what's going on and not just laughing (e.g. Sheldon getting the napkin from L.Nimoy or Sheldon being pretty obnoxious when he's sick at the Cheesecake Factory). So I assume that the laughter we hear is real. However, I read somewhere that quite often the laughing of the live audience is enhanced with a live track. So it could well be that for the "general laughs" they use both...

FemaleNerd is right, with it being filmed in front of an audience, the laughs you hear are about as real as they get. Shows do have to edit laughs sometimes, usually to silence them (so you can hear the next line).

Some people use laugh track synonymously with 'multi-camera, taped before a studio audience'. So they might just not like the genre, and prefer something like The Office.

I HAVE IT ON GOOD AUTHORITY THAT THE STUDIO HIRES WHAT CAN BE TERMED "PROFFESIONAL LAUGHERS".THEY'RE ONE OR TWO PEOPLE WHO ARE PAID TO GET THE AUDIENCE LAUGHING AT A JOKE SO THAT IT SEEMS FUNNIER THAN IT IS.(THE SOURCE OF MY INFO IS SOMEONE WHO WORKS AT A.B.C)

Interesting. I always thought they had neon signs that would flash LAUGH!

HUSHUASHUAUHSHUA XDDD I think this idea would be funnier then the show itself XDD

But I'm in no position to judge, since I used to think the same thing when I was little xD Or, as Leonard's mom would say, "young" because I've aways been little .___.

But then I wacthed the Friends bloopers for the first time when the 5th season DVD came out and I realised there were actual people laughing xD Altough it's pretty obvious, since I aways crack up whatching Friends (sometimes waaay more then the audience .__.') xD And in one of the "making of" they say there's actually about 300~400 people in that studio, and in another one they said there's a scene (can't remember which one) they had to stop taping for some time, until people stoped laughing xD Then they picked up from the punch line.

It's also obvius there's actual people there when there's a star guest in the show. I mean, they had to re-tape it about five times when Brad Pitt showed up on the 8th season xD

But I do believe there's some shows that use the laughing tape o_o I mean, how many times were you switching through channels, stoped on a show where people are laughing in the background and you don't even smile? xD

• 1 year later...

Enough with the laugh track. if it's funny people will laugh if not then maybe it is time for a change of pace or head rolling. why force it out? a quality show doesn't need that. anyway that is my opinion.

(p.s. stop having a laugh track every 5 seconds its getting tiresome)

They definitely DON'T use a laugh track. Everything you hear is genuine, authentic laughter from the live audience.

Steve

The Wiki

Don't you think they laugh a little too much? I don't know maybe the audience is tied down and someone is tickling them. imagine a bunch of people handcuffed with no shoes and a guy with feathers running around.

No, I don't! I guess sometimes they laugh at things I don't think are particularly funny, but judging by the discussions around here, we all find different things funny in the show. For example, I didn't laugh at all when Sheldon was in the ball pit. I found it massive overacting and contrived. I just shook my head and prayed for it to end. A lot of other people consider that one of the funniest moments in the series! So if you get 200 people watching a live performance, they're going to be laughing at all sorts of things, and not all at the same things at the same time.

The fact of the matter is, that's genuine laughter you're hearing. And another fact? I wish so much that I could be there and see a taping live!

Steve

The Wiki

They definitely DON'T use a laugh track. Everything you hear is genuine, authentic laughter from the live audience.

Steve

The Wiki

Don't you think they laugh a little too much? I don't know maybe the audience is tied down and someone is tickling them. imagine a bunch of people handcuffed with no shoes and a guy with feathers running around.

The show is funny and it is well known that when in large groups people tend to laugh more than they do sitting by themselves.

I would think they have a balanced mixture of a live crowd laughing and a laugh track. Then they would probably edit the laughs so that they are not too long, or too short. Afterall, laughing in the background of a T.V show does help viewers at home laugh.

• 3 months later...

I would love this show but the laugh track annoys the hell out of me.

The only way the laugh track is only from a live audience is if you're required to get high before getting in to the building. That laugh track is always going, even when there is nothing funny happening. It's ridiculous! They must be using a live audience and a laugh track together.

I love comedies and most of my favorite movies are comedies. I have never seen a movie that has a laugh track, so why do TV shows have them? Am I so stupid that a television studio needs to tell me when to laugh?

I recently discovered an old TV show called Hyperdrive which is a space comedy and it's from the BBC, and there is no laugh track! It makes it so much more enjoyable to watch. Is this laugh track thing an American phenomenon? There was also an old TV show called Sledge Hammer which had a laugh track and the creator of the show hated it, be he was forced to have it (no laugh track, no show). Years later he released it on DVD and removed the laugh track which made the show so much better. It is so nice to watch a sitcom without a laugh track.

Not only are laugh tracks very annoying, but I consider them an insult to my intelligence.

It would be so cool to go to a taping!

Fancy seeing the whole cast there in front of you and seeing the behind-the-scenes!

Must be really tough for the actors though, having to concentrate on their lines and get in character in front of all those people!! A bit like theatre, but tougher coz they have to snap in and out of their roles with every take.

I would love this show but the laugh track annoys the hell out of me.

It's been addressed by the man himself.

cqpyw.jpg

I was stoked when I caught this while watching the dvd the other night. Fortunately someone posted it elsewhere on the nets and saved me the trouble of having to upload it myself.

I hope this helps.

Please spread it around :)

:|

Good grief.

Am I the only one who thinks that the laugh track somewhat helps the show? I'd imagine that without it, the show would seem a little empty. Plus those long, lingering stares that are designed to allow the audience to laugh would just be awkward.

According to that picture, they are always being accused of using a laugh track. That should tell them something. Weather they are using a laugh track or a live audience, it is too much. They need to tone it down a bit.

Also, how do the sets work? Is the stage like a Disneyland ride where it rotates to the next room, because there are and have been allot of rooms on that show. I would love to see that picture pointed the opposite direction.

All shows with an audience get the accusations though. Getting rid of the audience would change it in more ways that just the absence of a laugh track. The timing would change and the type of jokes would probably have to change. If you look at shows which don't have an audience, their humour is often derived from awkwardness.

I'm not sure why sitcoms get such a hard time about this. If you got a DVD of a stand-up comedian, surely you'd expect it to have been filmed in front of an audience and have people laughing? It would feel very strange just to hear somebody telling jokes on a stage and getting no response.

• 7 months later...

Interesting thread. It's gotten me thinking a lot more about the implications of having an audience. I do think that when in a group with the actors live, the audience would be likely to laugh readily so I don't think they'd have to use a laugh machine much. However, obviously the laughter is edited to avoid having sneezes and such come through from the audience. It's a creative decision, in the end, and I think it has its advantages and probably does prompt laughter.

Tripper made a good point--I suppose having a laugh track does in some ways change the kinds of comedy they can use. If they removed the audience, the timing of the comedy would change so it's hard to extrapolate from just editing out the laughter and leaving the sound. I wonder if they could separate the laugh track out, because it is sometimes distracting. Still, it probably enables some things while making other things more difficult. Oh well, I like the show so I don't mind it too much.