The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Meag26

Laugh track?

On Season 4 Blu_ray there is a really interesting documentary called The Big Bang Theory Live, and it's about the experience of going to see a taping of a show. It explains a little of how the sets are placed and yes it shows the audience and the warm up guy. I believe and this is just my point of view that it is the audience laughing and maybe just edited a little bit. I don't understand the big deal about the laugh track/audience laughter.

The only downside to the live audience is that one word of the joke that you can't hear due to someone laughing right at that very moment and in turn, it leads to you missing the punchline.

If you read the taping reports, you see that they change the jokes until they find the one that gets the best audience reaction. Its not a live studio audience, its a focus group.

Interesting. I always thought they had neon signs that would flash LAUGH!

i dont know about the current state of tv... but they used to do that... when i was about 8 my family went to universal studios florida... one of the shows was a replicated filming of the classic lucy episode where ethel and lucy are working the chocolate machine... there was indeed lights to tell the audience when to laugh, 'aww', gasp, and probably other things i cant remember... the light of the sign came on... the crowd followed the instruction, and there was a guy there, almost like a conductor of an orchestra with his hands straight up, when he dropped his hands back to his side it was the sign to quiet...

If you read the taping reports, you see that they change the jokes until they find the one that gets the best audience reaction. Its not a live studio audience, its a focus group.

that sounds more accurate than any other explenation ive heard... just look at the picture thats posted... theres like 4 pictures photoshopped together... if u break them up, it looks like there might be 30-40 actual people per seating...

No laugh track? Really? It sure sounds like one. The other day I was watching an episode and Leonard asked Sheldon a question and people started laughing. I have NO idea what these people thought was funny. I just assumed it was a laugh track. It happens all the time... maybe they allow the audience to have a drink or two before the show starts...

The picture of the audience is indeed a picture of 3 audiences. The set is long, laid out in a row of rooms. The audience has to move for the shots. There is of course laughter from the audience but there is no way that the network would allow them to rely on that. You can bet they use canned laughter to fill in spots. Watch any show and you will see there are things laughed at that are certainly not funny. Sometimes the laughter is really short so that it doesn't overlap. People don't laugh like that. That is the real test of the presence of a laugh track. Listen to the way the, "audience," laughs. I am a stage actor. We have to pause and pace so as not to loose a line when the audience laughs. If you never see the actors on a show do that, you can bet there was no live laughter.