The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PaleLeper

Shark Jumping Good Times!

Right now TBBT is at it's highest rating level, largely due to it's syndication on several networks.  This is how I and many others got into the show (I actually just started watching, and caught up with the DVD's), but we all know sometimes things change very fast or producers and writers start writing in strange plot twist to increase ratings.  What "Jumping the Shark" moments do you think may be in the future?

Edited by PaleLeper
  • Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

The Shark has died, not available for jumping anymore.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 3

It would be extremely stupid of the writers to do anything drastic to increase ratings. The ratings are so high they could coast for four or five more seasons and as long as it doesn't get stale they would still be getting high ratings.

• Like 1

TBBT seems to be the type of show that is on a upwards curve, it get's better and better. It is definately not at Taahm level nor does it look like it is slowing down at any stage, still got a good four years left in it IMO. The only reason they would jump the shark is if 1. Rating's suddenly go down or 2. A Character get's killed off like Sheldon, Leonard, or Penny which obviousley I  hope never happens!

I think it's clear that this show does not do big shocking moments at all. Raj/Penny was the closest they ever went and I doubt they're going to ever revisit something like that. They really make changes at a snail's pace, so, if anything, this show will probably die a slow death as they run out of ideas. At the same time, the fact that they do develop the stories so slowly means they don't use up all the ideas too soon, which could keep them going for a while before that happens. Chuck said they don't want to overstay their welcome though (which I was pleasantly surprised to hear from him), so I hope they'll call it quits before then.

Actually I'm a bit worried about the ratings this year because of Michael J. Fox's new show.  It comes on at the same time.  I'm a bit sad that I won't be able to see it because big bang will be on.

Actually I'm a bit worried about the ratings this year because of Michael J. Fox's new show.  It comes on at the same time.  I'm a bit sad that I won't be able to see it because big bang will be on.

From the advanced reviews of the Fox show, you have nothing to worry about. The show faces a big challenge to make viewers comfortable with what is a very unfunny issue. Knowing how most watch TV comedy to get away from facing problems, it is unlikely that this show will put much of a dent in TBBT fan base.

Edited by BangerMain

Besides, nowadays with DVR-ing, most people end up watching everything they want.  The only decision is which one to watch live and which one to DVR.

Besides, nowadays with DVR-ing, most people end up watching everything they want.  The only decision is which one to watch live and which one to DVR.

And the Neilsens capture DVR viewing.

I think there's potential for water skis in how the show handles Sheldon's eventual sexual awakening.

Fraiser lost quality with Niles and Daphne pairing up, and Moonlighting was a disaster without the sexual tension. However, there's a potential comedy goldmine to be had here if it's handled in a 'believable' (and for that read bizarre, off the wall, outlandish) way.

• Like 1

I think there's potential for water skis in how the show handles Sheldon's eventual sexual awakening.

Fraiser lost quality with Niles and Daphne pairing up, and Moonlighting was a disaster without the sexual tension. However, there's a potential comedy goldmine to be had here if it's handled in a 'believable' (and for that read bizarre, off the wall, outlandish) way.

There are major differences between TBBT and those shows. TBBT doesn't rely solely on Sheldon (and Amy), or any one relationship really, to work. A lot of those shows did. TBBT has an incredibly multi-layered, talented ensemble that provides compelling material. You rarely get a show where 2 couples are both equally popular, and where you can put any character combination together and come up with something good, like the last episode proved. So, for every step forward they do with one character, they have another 50 to take with the others and all the different permutations of the others. And, like I said before, the steps are always taken at a snail's pace. They don't use up all ideas at once.

Plus, with Shamy it isn't just a matter of one hook-up and that's it. There is a lot of material to work through before they even get to sex, which probably will fill up enough seasons, and there's a lot of material for comedy after that. It doesn't need to be bizarre and off the wall, the writers have never handled the relationship to those extremes: quirky and odd, yes, but not absurd and outlandish.  

• Like 1

I'd say the spanking was outlandish already. Did anyone see that coming? But absurd, no! As bizarre and quirky as it was, it did fit.

I'd say their Relationship Agreement is 'off the wall' already too.

Absurd WOULD be jumping the shark. Nobody wants absurd.

I'd say the spanking was outlandish already. Did anyone see that coming? But absurd, no! As bizarre and quirky as it was, it did fit.

I'd say their Relationship Agreement is 'off the wall' already too.

Absurd WOULD be jumping the shark. Nobody wants absurd.

Right, I do think the spanking was a bit borderline absurd though, IMO. I think it was mostly Chuck wanting to see how much he would get away with in prime time. I don't know, I had several issues with that episode to be honest, but that's off-topic for this thread I guess. 

And ok, I get what you mean then. I thought with 'off the wall' you meant something REALLY off the wall. I don't think the Shamy needs to escalate into WTF moments to be interesting.

Right, I do think the spanking was a bit borderline absurd though, IMO. I think it was mostly Chuck wanting to see how much he would get away with in prime time. I don't know, I had several issues with that episode to be honest, but that's off-topic for this thread I guess. 

And ok, I get what you mean then. I thought with 'off the wall' you meant something REALLY off the wall. I don't think the Shamy needs to escalate into WTF moments to be interesting.

No, I meant that I hope that, after they make the Shamy relationship physical, they maintain the core character values that make this couple so inimitable. Turning Sheldon into Amy's 'snuggle bunny' would be abhorrent IMO. Homeostasis is the key word here.

As WTF as the spanking was, I think Chuck did get away with it, but only because of the uniqueness of this pair. Where and with who else would that work, and be hilarious to boot?

Raj getting firmly hooked up might be a problem, or babies for Penny and Leonard before the end of the show. And will everything after Amy and Sheldon get it on be an anticlimax? Howard and Bernie can pretty much do anything I think. If a relative or a millennial comes to permanently live with anyone at all, that would probably do it.

Otherwise, with eight characters including Stuart, and the short length of each show, I think they have lots of material for more years.

• Like 1

Right now TBBT is at it's highest rating level, largely due to it's syndication on several networks.  This is how I and many others got into the show (I actually just started watching, and caught up with the DVD's), but we all know sometimes things change very fast or producers and writers start writing in strange plot twist to increase ratings.  What "Jumping the Shark" moments do you think may be in the future?

Kind of an odd time to start this sort of topic. Jumping the shark happens when a show is losing views and running out of steam. Clearly not the case here. Honestly I never know what they will do next even now. This show is a delight.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

I take your point about Frasier and Moonlighting, although I don't agree.

Personally, I find the whole "will they, won't they " thing just tedious (I loved the sarcasm of Frasier, but  really got sick of Niles' pining for Daphne after season 3 !)

Probably what makes "Castle" watchable is that they resolved that issue at the end of season 4, which is probably the right amount of

time. IMO

But at the same time, if the answer is  "will they" the writers really have to handle it well.....which I think TBBT's writers have done.

As you said, it is a comic goldmine. Let's hope TBBT's writing staff continue to get it right.

cheers.

• Like 1