The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.04 "the Raiders Minimization" (October 10)

Your Episode Rating  

84 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

The irony is everyone was worried about Lenny, but now everyone is concerned about Howard and Bernadette haha. Saw no problems with Lenny, Leonard is not the type of guy who take's advantage of his gf, but in this case is an exception give him the benefit of the doubt, he is in a relationship with a women which is requitted love, he is obviousley testing the boundaries to what he could get a way with, I was laughing through out the enitre episode. Penny looked so gorgeous in the end poor Leonard haha, I saw no problems with Penny skyping Beverley, obviousley she found out what Leonard was doing, so to get back at him, she knew what to do. She did the same thing with Sheldon in S2, when she rang his mother, Penny has that side to her, normally she is the sweetest girl in the world, but if you get on her bad side her bite is as hard as her sweet side. Really liked the episode, okay it wasen't as good as last's weeks IMO, but I feel TBBT is at it's best when the whole cast is together, their were three stories in this episode, Amy exposing Raiders, Leonard taking advantage of Penny, and Raj and Stuart getting dating profile's. TBBT is in such a good place right now and it is doing so well in the rating's, it can afford these kinda of eps that are just good not brilliant, TBBT is that good. Thought Stuart was awesome he has the right dosage in the show, not too much but just enough of him is really funny, I thought Amy taught Sheldon a great lesson, that being in a relationship is about trust and compromise, you don't neccessary have go Sheldon on Amy when someone disrupts your world, Amy should be different she's your girlfriend. Overall great episode, not as good as last week's that was an amazing episode, but seeing it's 5 episode's in an amazing start to the season. As for Howard and Bernadette I can see the concerns, but their relationship is different to Lenny, they are married and Bernadette is not going to let Howard get away with lying for sex, Lenny are not in that place yet, I Thought it was really funny at first Penny was laughing at Leonard's childhood, good too see the fun in their relationship and not getting too serious, and I Thought it was really sweet how Penny was worried about Leonard even though he was moopolizing the situation, all in all a great episode.

It was the worst of the season but I still would give it a B. Pros- Liked Raj/Stuart especially whe Raj was taking the picture of Stuart for the online dating. Liked Amy especially when she explained what was wrong with Raiders and apologizing for ruining it for Sheldon. She deserves a better Sheldon. Pros- Penny's pink nightie. Sorry @Stardust most guys including myself liked that (it probably improved the episode grade at least for me) Cons Leonard- Does he really need to stoop to that level to get lucky with Penny? Con-Penny insensitivity bringing Bev's book home. Doing three "favors" for him was probably too much payback. Bringing Bev in evened the score between L/P. Con Sheldon -Keep waiting for the guy to grow up. Con- Beverly- She's served her purpose no need to see her on the show ever again.

I didn't really see how Bernadette was in the wrong. She only yelled at him when he kept insisting. She saw right through his intentions and Howard wasn't telling the truth even though she knew what he was trying to do.

I don't think she was wrong but at the same time you don't want them only playing up (repeatedly) that scolding side/ "your busted now get back to work".  She used to be the one able to stroke his ego and correct him because he does do stuff that needs correcting. Still not complaining just thinking cautiously as we look ahead :dancer: .

on another topic:

In no way do I see any of their conflicts as concern for a Howardette future. In fact IMO it is natural to the amount of time they have been married. Just part of living and learning together.  The writers are very good of being in tune with the this too shall pass mentality.

Edited by dessertisserved
  • Like 1

I didn't really see how Bernadette was in the wrong. She only yelled at him when he kept insisting. She saw right through his intentions and Howard wasn't telling the truth even though she knew what he was trying to do.

She isn't so much in the wrong, it's just that we only she her when she seems to be in conflict with Howard at the moment.

It was the worst of the season but I still would give it a B. Pros- Liked Raj/Stuart especially whe Raj was taking the picture of Stuart for the online dating. Liked Amy especially when she explained what was wrong with Raiders and apologizing for ruining it for Sheldon. She deserves a better Sheldon. Pros- Penny's pink nightie. Sorry @Stardust most guys including myself liked that (it probably improved the episode grade at least for me) Cons Leonard- Does he really need to stoop to that level to get lucky with Penny? Con-Penny insensitivity bringing Bev's book home. Doing three "favors" for him was probably too much payback. Bringing Bev in evened the score between L/P. Con Sheldon -Keep waiting for the guy to grow up. Con- Beverly- She's served her purpose no need to see her on the show ever again.

Stuart's photo faces were good :), and wasn't Beverley's book  an essential reading for her course? But yes I agree that I think he wouldn't have to get pity sex from her, they seem to be in a very happy place in their relationship AND he only just returned from being away for 3-4 months.

Edited by Convict13

The Big Bang Theory Review: Is Indiana Jones Irrelevant in Raiders?

October 11th, 2013 12:29 AM by Carla Day
Tag: Reviews

Poor Indiana Jones. He's worthless. Pointless. Irrelevant. Or, is he?

It's been decades since I've watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I wasn't completely sure of the accuracy of Amy's comment. That made the unfolding of the ongoing joke and question in "The Raiders Minimization" enjoyable for me to watch. And, I'm intrigued enough to hunt down the movie and watch it again as soon as I have time.

Read more tv spoilers at: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/10/the-big-bang-theory-review-the-raiders-minimization/#ixzz2hO2wXtbg
Edited by Tripper
Shortened the quoted article

I thought this was another excellent episode. This show is literally firing on all cylinders right now, I can't choose a favorite episode out of the first 4.

Even though Shamy is my priority, I enjoyed every storyline. I thought Lenny at the very start of the episode in particular were very very cute, I'm really excited that Penny is going to school still and we get constant references to it (last week's "Community College Night School" and this week with the Psychology class). I wonder if Psychology might be the real calling for Penny? She's so good with the nerds, she's done such a great job getting Leonard, Amy and, to a certain extent, Sheldon, out of their shells, she was the first one Raj spoke to (drunk and sober) and played counselor to H/B more than once. It would be an interesting scenario for sure, I reckon.

Shamy were, again, flawless. After spending so long angry at how they were handled in late S6, it's so refreshing to see them back to their S4-selves (the Skype call screamed S4 left, right and center) with an added layer of intimacy and maturity (the confrontation at the end was incredibly touching and so true to this couple, who have built their whole relationship on communication and honesty, which is what made those weird dynamics in S6 of not communicating and instead being frustrated just painful to watch). I loved how Sheldon tried to find something to ruin for her and failed or instead ended up enjoying the things she likes in spite of himself (P&P, Garfield). The joke about Amy milking the cat was hilarious! LOL.

I wasn't too bothered by Howard and Bernadette, I actually really liked that Bernie was able to see right through his ruse right away. But I do agree that Howard always being in the wrong is getting old. I think my main wish for this season for this couple is really to see Bernadette mess up big and have to crawl back to Howard in apology. Just one time would be nice. I love her, but the writers are really turning this relationship a bit too much into the whole "The man is always wrong" dynamic. 

I'm really happy Stuart was back too, I really laughed out loud at the photos! I love Kevin and I think he's way too underused on this show, I'm glad to see his friendship with Raj being brought back and I hope they're going to use it more in the future. I have to say I much prefer Raj/Stuart plots than any plots Raj had with Lucy. 

All in all, great stuff. I couldn't be happier with how this season has started :)

eta: I just have to add my favorite lines of the episode.

"Oh my God! You still go left!"

"I just want to make sure you look fun and full of life and not just like a body that has just been pulled out of the river."

"That tangy bowl of Cheerios was not worth the stitches."

"This is more like Little House on the Preposterous!"

Edited by koops
  • Like 8

A very good episode, I laughed aloud; ah Beverly if we could only have more of you, it was almost like old times. Penny & manipulative Leonard were right on, Raj & Stuart were brilliant, giving the show its lonely nerds roots. Amy was great, they're writing her like season 4 Amy, not last year's creepy freak. I loved her sucking the joy out of Sheldon's world while he plotted revenge; his classic line " Pride and Prejudice is a masterpiece", the meh was Bernadette and Howard, I miss old creepy Howard & his mon the only Mrs. Wolowitz;-)

• Like 2

Loved the ep--watched it twice already and laughed out loud all the way through it. :)

I do think that the Raj/Stuart story didn't have much to it, but it was still funny. Just because Raj has found his voice doesn't mean that he's suddenly a confident man-about-town. He still has issues, he's still as much of a nerd as he's always been, he still dresses in goofy clothes, so I didn't mind that he and Stuart struck out yet again. At least they were in the episode and had something to do.

I loved the Lenny story. I agree that it's great to see that Penny is still taking classes and that she's taking something like psychology. While I don't think that community college is going to make her change her career, I do like that she's continuing to broaden her horizons by studying new things. And a psychology class can also help with her acting.

Anyway, I love that poor Leonard didn't start out to get sympathy sex out of her--the first time was totally her idea--but I'm not surprised that he continued to play it up. And that she continued to offer him sex as a way of cheering him up was still her own choice.

But I loved that once Bernie clarified what it was that Leonard has been doing, Penny brought out the kryptonite. :p

I loved Leonard's line, "I didn't dream that?" LOL!

As for Bernie and Howie, I don't think that she was really shrewish. It's just that she wasn't in the mood and so she wasn't vulnerable to his attempted ploys. And then she saw right through him. And it was a necessary part of the story so that Penny would find out what Leonard had been doing.

As for Penny's nightie, I think it was supposed to look a little overly provocative in order to be a real turn-on for Leonard, in order to lure him into the trap. :p

And now for the glory that is the Shamy!

I loved Sheldon's enthusiasm at the beginning, and how once he realized his mistake with the term "virginity" he came up with "have your world rocked on my couch". :p

I loved all of his attempts to find something to ruin and his question to Leonard about something Amy is fond of that is full of flaws... LOL!

And the end, oh the end. I was glad that he was able to say, "I'm mad at you" without fear of her rejecting him or anything. I love that she gave him the freedom and safety to express his anger or hurt or whatever he might feel. I love that she is helping him to be more open with his feelings, which allows her to do the same.

And I loved his last line about Garfield and Mondays and his triumphant little smile! :)

Another great episode!

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 3

I enjoyed this episode.

Amy was correct I think about Jones not affecting the outcome except he survived by keeping his eyes closed when the ark was opened.

I'm not sure why anyone would see that as a flaw. His failure was not actually his fault. The antagonists had far more resources.

The film was an action adventure. It was a lot of fun. He survived to have more adventures.

A very good episode, I laughed aloud; ah Beverly if we could only have more of you, it was almost like old times. Penny & manipulative Leonard were right on, Raj & Stuart were brilliant, giving the show its lonely nerds roots. Amy was great, they're writing her like season 4 Amy, not last year's creepy freak. I loved her sucking the joy out of Sheldon's world while he plotted revenge; his classic line " Pride and Prejudice is a masterpiece", the meh was Bernadette and Howard, I miss old creepy Howard & his mon the only Mrs. Wolowitz;-)

Yeah but I guess Howard's married now so he has evolved a lot.

I loved the Shamy scenes and the Raj/Stuart scenes were extremely fun as well.  The Lenny scenes were honestly kind of dull to me.  I really could not stand how they dressed her in that pink nightie.   Sorry, but it was far too trashy and making her look like a cheap hooker.  Penny is too good for that kind of look.   She could have been dressed in a very sexy negligee but not that trashy thing.  It was good to have Bev, but she was just a "blink and you miss it" role in this.  Such a shame because I like Bev.  

Two things I liked with the Lenny story was 1) Penny is still in school...this was great news and it was good to see she seemed to be doing well in it and enjoying it; and 2) they had Penny still getting together with her old friends from S3 and watching sports.  I loved that they remembered she had friends outside of the gang.  

But Shamy are growing deeper and lovelier as a couple.  They will always be quirky which I love.   I really liked that Sheldon could not find fault with P&P because it is a wonderful book.   It was fun to see him actually realize that Amy has a lot of interests that he could not find flaw with.   LOL!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS... I TOTALLY AGREE WITH EVERY WORD.... YOU WROTE EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT... THANKS.

• Like 1

Anybody else reads reviews and gets frustrated at how superficial they are? I never used to, but I checked the IGN reviews for every ep this season and I constantly read it and think "THIS is all you got out of the episode?". Even when they give the episode a high rating, they read like someone who left the show on as background noise while they were doing something else and just wrote something up because they had to do their homework. I should go back to not reading reviews. Any poster here could do a better job than those people.

• Like 1

Anybody else reads reviews and gets frustrated at how superficial they are? I never used to, but I checked the IGN reviews for every ep this season and I constantly read it and think "THIS is all you got out of the episode?". Even when they give the episode a high rating, they read like someone who left the show on as background noise while they were doing something else and just wrote something up because they had to do their homework. I should go back to not reading reviews. Any poster here could do a better job than those people.

May not be a popular opinion but BBT has a rep for being too "niche", and MF has a rep on the media for it's image being really conservative and diverse. Not that I share any of these views, and I am just posting what I have heard. This season however reminds me of Season 8 of Friend's, the dynamics of characters are more diverse and refined, then early seasons. I have watched since the pilot (became a fan in Season 3), IMO the strongest years of BBT has been since S4, the industry obviousley think so, TBBT only started to get recognition by S4. So woulden't worry about IGN they are known for fan reviews, and journalists these day are so un professional, most don't do their research, and force their personal views or stereotype's into a review, I focus on The Hollywood Reporter who called TBBT this decade's Friend's, or Tv Guide Reviews more relevant IMO.

I find it interesting how all of the guys seemed to really like penny in the nightie.  I came away from this episode thinking that it seemed like she'd gained a lot of weight.  Maybe it was just me.  She still looks good, but different, to me.

• Like 1

I find it interesting how all of the guys seemed to really like penny in the nightie.  I came away from this episode thinking that it seemed like she'd gained a lot of weight.  Maybe it was just me.  She still looks good, but different, to me.

I'm not a guy and I wrote "wow" about Penny in her nightie.  She looked very beautiful to me. 

Im a guy and thought Penny looked the hottest she's ever looked. But if were comparing her to S1 when she was 21 of course she's gained a bit of weight comparitively. But presently I think the perceived weight gain comes from Kaley who has been working out a lot lately, particularly on her upper body, so she developed a lot more mass on her upper rhomboids, arms and trunk, so her to weight to mass ratio has shifted a bit, and the fact she does yoga too, so if she has gained any weight at all it is more muscle, hence why she looks like she has gained weight, and like I said shes not 21 anymore shes 27 so her body is changing too, personally Kaley's always hot bit I think last season and this season she's in her prime, she has more curves then S 1-4 JMO.

• Like 3

Loved this one, and have to agree with 3ku11, Kaley is drop dead gorgeous!!!    You can see the obvious changes to her muscle tone in the past 2 years, she has done a lot of work and it shows. 

My personal highlights:

- Shamy watching Indiana Jones
- Sheldons jaw is dropped *LOL*
- Penny&Leonard
- Penny bought a book of Leonards mum *LOL*
- Leonard thought Penny wanted to seduce him in this hot nightdress but then she turned the laptop around and there was Leonards mum on skype *LOL*
- Shamy skyping *cute*
- Sheldon rubbing his hands and then admiring them *LOL*
- Sheldon is a fan of Garfield *hahaha* *LOL*
- Sheldon says sorry to Amy for ruining her favourite show *awwwwwwwwww*
- the group talks about the movie and their *ohhhhh* *LOL*
- Raj and Stuart *LOL*(Loved Stuarts facial expressions during the photoshooting for the dating profile *LOL*)

Edited by BlackWhiteRose
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the episode but it was my least favorite so far this season. I liked the whole ruining Raiders story. The rest I could have done without. Don't get me wrong I thought most of the Leonard and Penny story was funny but I didn't like it as much as the raiders plot. Also I'm probably the only straight guy who did not find Penny very appealing in the nightie at the end. I can't put my finger on it but I just didn't think it flattered her very well. I also hated the hair. Penny was hotter IMO in 7.1 at the beginning. All in all I enjoyed it but it was not my favorite.

Edited by JonRS92
  • Like 1

Also I'm probably the only straight guy who did not find Penny very appealing in the nightie at the end. I can't put my finger on it but I just didn't think it flattered her very well. I also hated the hair. Penny was hotter IMO in 7.1 at the beginning. All in all I enjoyed it but it was not my favorite.

I know what you mean. Although it seemed her being fixed up was more for shock value. It was sort of OOC for Penny and that was probably more of a turn on for Leonard and every other guy. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice in the episode that Leonard called Howard by his REAL name? If you listen when Howard knocks on the door and asks if he, Leonard, is ready for lunch and he shouts "1 Sec!". When he opens the door he actually says "Hey, Si", which as you know is Howards real name. This is on 11m 36 sec. for those interested. I cannot beleive the shows producers and everybody else missed it. Especially when you watch Gag Reels from previous seasons and see them getting them.

I enjoyed the episode but it was my least favorite so far this season. I liked the whole ruining Raiders story. The rest I could have done without. Don't get me wrong I thought most of the Leonard and Penny story was funny but I didn't like it as much as the raiders plot. Also I'm probably the only straight guy who did not find Penny very appealing in the nightie at the end. I can't put my finger on it but I just didn't think it flattered her very well. I also hated the hair. Penny was hotter IMO in 7.1 at the beginning. All in all I enjoyed it but it was not my favorite.

Thank you, finally a man willing to have some discerning taste!   They clearly made her up to look as trampy and vampy as they could and that is why it didn't work.  She is sexy on her own and didn't  need all that extra "fluff" to try and vamp her up.   Put her in a normal beautiful elegant negligee and her hair as normal and she would have been far sexier.

• Like 3

Amy's critque of Raiders was amusing and she had a point - Indy lost out to Belloq at the start of the movie and kept loosing out to him right up until the ending - the only thing that saved him and Marion from being vaporized along with every one else by the ark was closing his eyes - which I always found amusing - was that really what saved him or could the ark tell who the who the bad guys were - would Indy have been vaporized if he had been the one to open the ark? - I don't think he would have - I liked the guys rewatching Raiders again to see if they could find a flaw in Amy's argument but couldn't - they could have mentioned that Marion would have been killed by the nazis if not for Indy, so that made him a hero, even if he kept bungling recovering the ark.

Sorry everyone, Penny was hot in that outfit. (That maybe because my wife used to have a very similar one years ago).

The only problem I have with The Big Bang Theory is that its' 21 minutes seems like 10. It goes by too fast. I would wish it were an hour show, but that may be too long. What a conundrum.

And I think Bernadette did "catch on" too soon for her bad attitude. They may have to pull her back a little.

I also think, and I don't know if anyone else has ever commented on this, that Kaley has a resemeblence to Drew Barrymore, especially when Leonard first came in the apt and she was in the lingere.

Edited by BigBang15

Amy's critque of Raiders was amusing and she had a point - Indy lost out to Belloq at the start of the movie and kept loosing out to him right up until the ending - the only thing that saved him and Marion from being vaporized along with every one else by the ark was closing his eyes - which I always found amusing - was that really what saved him or could the ark tell who the who the bad guys were - would Indy have been vaporized if he had been the one to open the ark? - I don't think he would have - I liked the guys rewatching Raiders again to see if they could find a flaw in Amy's argument but couldn't - they could have mentioned that Marion would have been killed by the nazis if not for Indy, so that made him a hero, even if he kept bungling recovering the ark.

Keeping his eyes shut saved him because one is not supposed to look upon the Ark.  It's part of the biblical background.  It was a holy object and only the priests were supposed to carry it, etc., so the Nazi's were destroyed because they opened it and looked into it, etc.

The part of Raiders that I always wonder about was--how did they get the ark back to the states?

Could the two of them have carried it on their own?

And even if they could have, wouldn't there still have been crew members on the Nazi submarine?  I mean, not every single crew member would have gotten off the boat when they got to the island, right?

And even if all the crew members had gotten off the boat, would Indy and Marion have been able to pilot the boat back to some kind of harbor or another ship or something?

Now I'm wondering who came up with Amy's point--is that something that's been said online somewhere or did one of the writers come up with that idea or what? :p