The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lloydavies

Why Has The Big Bang Theory Been So Successful To A Number Of Different Audiences?

The characters are brought to life by the actors and the writers, across the board you find yourself caring about them.  You find yourself rooting for them, cheering when something goes well in the storyline, and moved when things do not end up so well.  This is rare in any show, but in a sit-com, almost never heard of, with a few exceptions.  Once in a decade a show like this comes along, people grow up with the show, and it becomes more than a show it becomes pop culture.  Years from now there will still be a fandom for this show.

• Like 1

For me it's because it's so fabulously different. There has never been a sitcom, with so many things I relate too. You usually only get one nerd on a TV show but this is full of them. 

• Like 2

The characters are brought to life by the actors and the writers, across the board you find yourself caring about them.  You find yourself rooting for them, cheering when something goes well in the storyline, and moved when things do not end up so well.  This is rare in any show, but in a sit-com, almost never heard of, with a few exceptions.  Once in a decade a show like this comes along, people grow up with the show, and it becomes more than a show it becomes pop culture.  Years from now there will still be a fandom for this show.

Yes, that's it in a nutshell.

Also, the show comes across as quite unique.

It does not hurt that at the beginning it appealed to the science fiction fan-base who tend to be quite loyal.

• Like 1

I think that one reason that the show has such broad appeal is that the characters are ultimately sweet and positive.

As I've said before, there aren't really any bad guys on the show. Whenever there's some antagonism, it's always played for laughs and everyone is pretty much okay at the end.

There's no tragedy, and even the sad moments are leavened with sweetness, in a way. If someone has a sad moment, like Raj losing Lucy, there's usually someone there to buoy them up, or in Raj's case, he had his breakthrough.

Anyway, I think that the humor is clever, but ultimately sweet, the characters are lovable, and it's just fun.

I just kind if accidentally watched the new show "Dads" and although they've got essentially a great cast, it just felt so forced and obvious. It had some clever lines, but overall it didn't have the smooth elegance of a BBT script.

There is a woman, who I did several shows with in the early to mid 2000s.   We keep in touch on Facebook, and last night, her and her husband turned on the local independent station, to watch the local baseball team in their playoff game (it was the Tampa Bay Rays).  Well, that station has TBBT on every night from 7 to 8.   She had never seen TBBT before (I know, with how much it's on, you wonder how someone could miss it).  Well, she posted on Facebook that she loved it, and was going to have to look up the show.  I offered to give her my season disks, so she could watch them in order.  I took them to her tonight (well season one anyway), before going to rehearsal.  We'll see how she likes them and I'll report back here, with her impressions.  But just the fact that it is STILL, picking up new viewers, is simply amazing.

There were the usual numbers of "It's great", "Love that show", etc.   But there were three comments from people who hadn't seen the show before, looked it up (based on her comments) and are now planning on watching it when it's on.  That's four new viewers they picked up.  

I think IMO it is probably one of the most original sitcom's ever, I cannot think of a show that merges Science, Science Fiction, and Social-Culture in one. The characters are just so endearing to, reminds me of Friend's you can relate to the characters, they are a good looking and genuine. I also like Spaced said not a lot of shows have more then one nerd in the show, I also think their are no big moment's, where their are dramatic moments like Friend's it's balanced out with comedy. This is why the rating's are huge, it attract's all kind's of demographics.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Another aspect of the show is that it has smart quirky characters. There have been popular smart quirky characters on some very serious crime drama shows. I am thinking Garcia and Dr. Spencer Reid from criminal minds and "Gil" Grissom from CSI. Problem is Grissom is gone and much of Criminal Minds is to horiffic to watch. So along comes a comedy with smart quirky charicters and no gruesome murders. I get my Dr. Spenser Reid and Garcia replacements but the new show is full of them and they are the focus of attention every episode! I wonder how many other people gave up those shows and found what they were actually looking for in tbbt?

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

For several reasons:

- people have been in some of the situations the characters have been and they know how it is

- some pepole are also scientists like the characters

- some people are also science fiction fans

- the characters have a place in people´s heart

- the cast is amazing and they have a great chemistry

I could go on but I think I`ve made my point. (to quote Sheldon) 

Edited by BlackWhiteRose

Your premise is that TBBT has been so successful. I most certainly disagree with that!

Although the first 3 seasons were excellent (stories, actors, jokes, etc.), the following 3 seasons---and ostensibly the 7th that has just begun---have registered a free-fall in quality. The series is no longer funny, and it has certainly lost its charm; just think of Howard and Raj holding each other's nipples for ~30sec. At times it's just gross ("conspicuously and tastelessly indecent"). I'd be better off watching seasons >2 of Married with Children. 

I've been a fan of TBBT from the beginning and I was very sorry to see it stumble so badly. I still think that the series and characters have a lot of potential, but I feel that the producers are out of ideas and are currently walking around in circles and doing their best to milk their cash-cow. What a waste!

My take is that after Season 3 the producers decided to put less emphasis on the geeky, sciencey elements that were integral to the series' original success; and put more weight on the relational component (everyone got in a couple, everyone is on the verge of getting married, etc.) and walked straight into a wall. It didn't help that Parsons started acting worse (he was clearly entitled to his first Emmy award, and as far as I go should have gotten an Emmy for each of the first 3 seasons of TBBT, but as far as I go he deserved no Emmy for later performances) and that Bialik took so long to truly get into her role and start acting naturally. Howard in a couple is a pale shade of Howard hunting desperately for women, and mean Bernadette of late is hugely less charming than innocent Bernadette. Priya was a ray of light performance-wise, but she was ditched. And Raj, well, is pathetic: I get the feeling that the producers never really knew what to do with this character. All in all, a free fall. 

To sum up, TBBT of late may be successful ratings-wise, but it's a sheer disaster quality-wise. 

Your premise is that TBBT has been so successful. I most certainly disagree with that!

Although the first 3 seasons were excellent (stories, actors, jokes, etc.), the following 3 seasons---and ostensibly the 7th that has just begun---have registered a free-fall in quality. The series is no longer funny, and it has certainly lost its charm; just think of Howard and Raj holding each other's nipples for ~30sec. At times it's just gross ("conspicuously and tastelessly indecent"). I'd be better off watching seasons >2 of Married with Children. 

I've been a fan of TBBT from the beginning and I was very sorry to see it stumble so badly. I still think that the series and characters have a lot of potential, but I feel that the producers are out of ideas and are currently walking around in circles and doing their best to milk their cash-cow. What a waste!

My take is that after Season 3 the producers decided to put less emphasis on the geeky, sciencey elements that were integral to the series' original success; and put more weight on the relational component (everyone got in a couple, everyone is on the verge of getting married, etc.) and walked straight into a wall. It didn't help that Parsons started acting worse (he was clearly entitled to his first Emmy award, and as far as I go should have gotten an Emmy for each of the first 3 seasons of TBBT, but as far as I go he deserved no Emmy for later performances) and that Bialik took so long to truly get into her role and start acting naturally. Howard in a couple is a pale shade of Howard hunting desperately for women, and mean Bernadette of late is hugely less charming than innocent Bernadette. Priya was a ray of light performance-wise, but she was ditched. And Raj, well, is pathetic: I get the feeling that the producers never really knew what to do with this character. All in all, a free fall. 

To sum up, TBBT of late may be successful ratings-wise, but it's a sheer disaster quality-wise. 

Give me a break your just a poster and never return to the scene of the crime, the quality of the show right now is at it's peak, not sure where your coming from with all the point's that you made. As for your writer's took less science away from the show to focus on relationship's, your dead wrong all sitcoms need to evolve over time to avoid stagnitism. The science is still their it is just more subtle, and the dialogue has been dimished some what, I beleive the science never went away in term's of story archs, just the dialogue, Everything you said is all false, but what ever make's you feel better. You do realize Howard is married to bernadette? I have watched every season IMO Season 7 from what I have seen is one of the best start's to the show ever. You could of gotten an Emmy? Okay let's see how you deal with all that dialogue, and still add humilty to the character of Sheldon. Jim Parson's acting get's better and better, he has completley deserved his Emmy's in the past and this year. You seem to have a problem with the writer's not sustaining the geekienss of the show, but it is too the show's advantage they are now growing up and evolving, besides the last ep 7.03 was really science and geeky. Considering the amount of your post's your post is designed to rile people up like me! haha and never return. As for the characters diminishing and is no longer funny and it has lost it's charm, as Sheldon's mother would say that is YOUR opinion, 99% of people I have heard as said TBBT is at it's best right now, it has not lost one bit of it's charm in fact it has gotten better and better, I am not saying this to contrast your opinon, I am saying this because I have loved how the characters have matured in their relationships and careers. This is not a show about "geek" culture but a show about people, if the show was as it was the first two seasons, nothing changed people like would be complaining it's gotten stale, your entitled to your opinion, but it is full of innacuracies, and ignorance it just cannot be taken seriousley. Considering you seem to be the only one from what I have seen who feel's TBBT is gone stale and lost it, I would give you the benefit of the doubt, if someone also shared the same opinion, but from Facebook, to Twitter, to Youtube, to here your's is the first opinon that has gone as far as to say it has lot's it's charm, which is just not true. I'm still enjoying the show, and no where near feel the writer's are just milking the cash cow, even if they were 20 million in it's premiere, TBBT is not going anywhere. For the record I thought Howard and Raj was hilarous, and the recent episode was back to it's geeky feel good best, but you obviousley have some problems with the show, but that's okay I suspose watch Modern Family, someone need's to watch it lol!

Edited by 3ku11

Another aspect of the show is that it has smart quirky characters. There have been popular smart quirky characters on some very serious crime drama shows. I am thinking Garcia and Dr. Spencer Reid from criminal minds and "Gil" Grissom from CSI. Problem is Grissom is gone and much of Criminal Minds is to horiffic to watch. So along comes a comedy with smart quirky charicters and no gruesome murders. I get my Dr. Spenser Reid and Garcia replacements but the new show is full of them and they are the focus of attention every episode! I wonder how many other people gave up those shows and found what they were actually looking for in tbbt?

Excellent point! My favorite tv character ever before Amy was Mulder. He is the classic example of the nerd outcast in a crime show. I have never loved a character as much before or after Mulder, and I think it's no coincidence that I got hooked onto this show because I see a lot of that incredibly smart, quirky behavior in all these characters. 

I also find that it speaks very close to people who are actual scientists and in academia. I don't think I know one person who I've met since starting grad school who doesn't love the show. When I was just starting grad school my roommate did make a comment about how funny it would be to write a sitcom about scientists, and that was right as TBBT was getting started and we didn't yet know about it. They stole her idea :p

• Like 3

Give me a break your just a poster and never return to the scene of the crime, the quality of the show right now is at it's peak, not sure where your coming from with all the point's that you made. As for your writer's took less science away from the show to focus on relationship's,

snip...

I'm still enjoying the show, and no where near feel the writer's are just milking the cash cow, even if they were 20 million in it's premiere, TBBT is not going anywhere. For the record I thought Howard and Raj was hilarous, and the recent episode was back to it's geeky feel good best, but you obviousley have some problems with the show, but that's okay I suspose watch Modern Family, someone need's to watch it lol!

As much as I love the show, I agree that there are quite a few others out there who share the same opinion of how the show's quality has fallen off since season three ended. In general, they see the introduction of Bernadette and Amy as something that was bad. Hey, that's their opinion. The problem with that is it wasn't until the show's fourth season, that it was nominated for an Emmy (a nomination by the people who work in the industry). It is one of three shows nominated for Best Comedy for the last three years (30 Rock and Modern Family are the other two). And it's been the last two years that it was nominated for a Screen Actors Guild award. Again, a nomination by their peers. (and again, it was 30 Rock and Modern Family).

There are people (and posters here) who are highly enamored of the first three years, of the show, and dislike anything after that. They can voice their displeasure at how they don't like the direction the show has taken or how they don't like the show anymore. All that is fine. The problem comes when those people try to say anything about how the quality of the show has fallen off. They really have nothing to go on, as the people who work in the industry and do the same job as the actors, writers and technical crew of "The Big Bang Theory" think the quality of the show has gotten higher since those first three seasons ended. They tend to ignore those award nomination as those nominations refute their position that the quality has gone down.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1