What'd you think if Raj learned to talk to women?

Irvine

Would you like Raj to learn to speak to women?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Raj to learn to speak to women?

• Sure, that would be nice character development!
    • No, I like him with this mutism: He's sweet and funny!
    • I don't know... Maybe...
    • Don't really care.
    • Yes, but only to Penny

Hi guys! Just wanted to talk about the show, debate a little, just for the fun of it! With a poll! So the question is: Would you like that Raj, in the future (maybe season 4, or just one of the very last episode, when the producers know it will be the last season, etc.), actually learn to speak to women without the use of alcool? I actually would like that! Sure, at first, it was pretty funny, and it still is sometimes (like when he's singing in Rock Band and Penny appears). Yet, as episodes passes, I start to feel a little sad for the character. I mean, of all the four, he seems to be the most succesful with the ladies (Sheldon's sister, Summer Glau, that girl at Halloween, this other girl when Leonard, Howard and him went to a bar, even that prostitute at Las Vegas went to him first, not to Leonard (but I'm not sure this one really count, but still...)! :p), so imagine what he could do without the use of alchool! ^_^ So yeah, though I still find his selective mutism funny, I start to feel sad for him. And it would be nice if he could learn to open up to women. I mean, he meets Penny on a regular basis, she's part of the gang now, you'd guess he could say more than one-two word per month to her! And I don't mean going to other extreme, he would probably still be shy, just that, what he usually says in the hear of his friends, he could speak it up now. So yeah, that's how I view that. What's your opinion about it? Do you want Raj to heal his mutism, or do you think it has to stay, even at the end of the show? Or maybe you're undecided, or do not care?

Thinking about it ... Leonard's mother stated that selective mutism could stand from a pathological fear of women and I think that indeed a great insecurity is the reason for Raj's mutism (that's why Alcohol helps). So I would find it a "logical" character development (to speak like Sheldon), if he learned to talk in front of Penny, because he's now used to her being around. This way he could still be mute when other females are around, thus keeping the laugh factor, but get a few more lines and a bit of character development.

Excellent idea FemaleNerd. In fact, he did talked in front of her (his ''good story'' in ''The Bat-Jar Conjecture'' and the sweet little ''sorry'' in this episode I don't remember the title). So maybe they'll build to that, at least for Penny. Your idea of limiting his development for Penny only, I love it. Too bad I can't really change the poll now! lol

Excellent idea FemaleNerd. In fact, he did talked in front of her (his ''good story'' in ''The Bat-Jar Conjecture'' and the sweet little ''sorry'' in this episode I don't remember the title). So maybe they'll build to that, at least for Penny. Your idea of limiting his development for Penny only, I love it. Too bad I can't really change the poll now! lol

I've added the new option to the poll. I've reset the votes if anybody wants to vote for the new option.

hmmmm I've thought about this but I don't think I like it! I do want Raj to have character development (like I do want that for all the characters) but that seems like such a huge step for him. Maybe I just think that it's too soon. He needs to grow more over the next couple of years before I think they should make him talk in front of Penny imo.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good idea, but not for now. It could be stretched for two seasons.

Leonard's mother stated that selective mutism could stand from a pathological fear of women and I think that indeed a great insecurity is the reason for Raj's mutism (that's why Alcohol helps).

So I would find it a "logical" character development (to speak like Sheldon), if he learned to talk in front of Penny, because he's now used to her being around.

Penny is a part of their grup now, even Sheldon noticed that. And as you said he get used to be around her he coud start saying things like "good story" or "sorry". Slowly his pathological fear of women, for Penny only, could fade. She is one of them and there is noting to be afraid of, he could from one episode to another say more. After about two seasons he could talk to her normally(but don't try date her, i want her to end up with Leonard), but not to other woman. This development would be good to watch and would not screw up him being special as everyone of them.

Sometimes I feel sorry for him too, for example with Sheldon's sister or Summer Glau but with Summer Glau I rather felt sorry for her.

I think it would be funny if he learned to slowly talk to women and then, somehow, through his speech turned into a real ladies man. I don't know how that's gonnna happen, but its TV-land: I'm sure they can make something up.

He's already a ladies-man! He always seems to end up with the girl. I would like to see Raj start talking around Penny. It's only logical, since she's such a part of the group now. And frankly, the whole not-talking thing is getting a little old. Steve

And besides he can talk to woman, when he drank the non alcholic beer on the train and hit on the girl from terminator he was completly sober :p

no he can't. it's in his head, he thought he was drunk that's why he talked with Summer Glau and when Howard showed him what beer was that he realized he's sober and stoped talking.

Maybe it's a little old, but still in some way funny, changing it just like that would be a mistake.

His character seems to have been conceived with the wish to have someone exhibiting this "nerdy" quality of being awkward around women. This makes him different form the other main characters. If he lost this, there would be nothing to make him stand out. I can see why people would like him to be at least free to speak around Penny out of sympathy for the character but he would then lose an essential part of who he is. He would then only be a bit player throwing in the occasional joke...unless they came up with some other storyline for him.

that is why i want him to change slowly, to gain time for making up new story for him and for now to refresh his character(the way he changes would be interesting - i think) , make him more important to the plot.

• 1 month later...

He also spoke in front of Penny in the Halo episode

Here’s the thing with talking in front of Penny. 1) She has been accepted as one of the group my Sheldon. 2) She has slowly begun to present a geekside by explaining Schrodinger’s Cat , making the Star Trek shield reference, and, it would appear, having seen the new Star Trek movie by herself. So, if Raj begins speaking in front of her normally it would signal her transformation into being, just another one of the guys. You can see her saying it:

Penny

What do you MEAN I’m one of the guys!!??

LOL! That would piss her off. I don't think she'd love to be "un-feminised".

But I can see such a scene in my head:

Raj speaking in front of her,

Penny asking why he could suddenly talk when she was around,

Howard answering "well, you're on of the guys now",

her asking "what do you mean???" and then

Sheldon coldly and analytically telling her as list of facts how she had lost her feminine attributes and is now considered one of the guys.... :icon_cheesygrin:

Sheldon coldly and analytically telling her as list of facts how she had lost her feminine attributes and is now considered one of the guys.... :icon_cheesygrin:

I think that's a very good idea. I dont think she could be unfeminised, though - she is WAY too feminine for that .But she could slowly become more geeky. It could be discovered that Raj only has a problem when he deals with women outside of his/their lifestyle, if that is the correct term. Has it been established that he cant talk around Leslie Winkle? I can remember. So becoming "one of the guys" could mean she is entering their world. She would initially be insulted by the insiuation that Raj thinks of her as a guy, but then be very happy to realise that he actually now thinks of her a part of their group of friends.That way, he could still keep the characteristic of not being able to invite other women to his hottub, without a few gargles (alcoholic beverages , for non-Irish members) on board.

I think that's a very good idea. I dont think she could be unfeminised, though - she is WAY too feminine for that .But she could slowly become more geeky. It could be discovered that Raj only has a problem when he deals with women outside of his/their lifestyle, if that is the correct term. Has it been established that he cant talk around Leslie Winkle? I can remember. So becoming "one of the guys" could mean she is entering their world. She would initially be insulted by the insiuation that Raj thinks of her as a guy, but then be very happy to realise that he actually now thinks of her a part of their group of friends.That way, he could still keep the characteristic of not being able to invite other women to his hottub, without a few gargles (alcoholic beverages , for non-Irish members) on board.

I don't recall him speaking around Leslie but in the Pirate episode he couldn't speak to the female scientist in the office.

I don't really want his character to change dramatically, so I'd only liked it if he started to say a few words to Penny, or if he talked to women in the final episode of the series (which, I hope, will happen years from now :D ).

It is getting a little old that ha can't speak in front of women, but it would also be a huge change if all of a sudden he started to speak. I guess the best solution would be that he gets a girlfriend. He has to be able to talk in front of her, he can't be drunk 24/7 (although, it would be funny that when they start dating Raj is always drunk :))

It is getting a little old that ha can't speak in front of women, but it would also be a huge change if all of a sudden he started to speak. I guess the best solution would be that he gets a girlfriend. He has to be able to talk in front of her, he can't be drunk 24/7 (although, it would be funny that when they start dating Raj is always drunk :))

One of the scripts I've written addresses giving Raj a girlfriend my solution is that they meet at a costume party in a bar with Raj dressed as ***** with a VERY loud band so that verbal communication is impossible and they communicate by texting. It isnt till the next morning that we find out that she is deaf. I see this part being played by Kat Dennings.

I don't recall him speaking around Leslie but in the Pirate episode he couldn't speak to the female scientist in the office.

Well, in his defense, that scientist was damn hot!:icon_twisted: lol

Anyway, I wanna say that when I started this poll, I never said I wanted him to start talking to girls all of a sudden! It would a long and (painful for him, hilarious for us) process. It might start with Howard and/or Penny (I took those 2 because Howard is his best friends and Penny is the only girl in the gang) deciding ''ok, it's time this guy resolved is selected mutism''. And they use Penny as test subject of course! And starting from this episode, he would start by saying a few, high-pitched ''hi'' to girls from time to time. Then, many episodes later, trying hard to speak up is mind, you see him struggling for a few seconds until he whisper his opinion in a guy's ear. And it would continue slowly like that until, one day, he can speak to woman. But even then, he'd remain very shy about it! That's how I'd see it!

Anyway, the deaf girl idea is pretty good, too! But I keep my idea of a dominative girl! A ''woman [who] speaks for the couple'', to quote Wolowitz in the Gothowitz episode! That would be fun! ^_^ And I somewhat think that this kind of girl would get along with Penny really nicely, maybe even being her roommate! :p

Well, let's not go that far! It's up to the writers to find the perfect girls for our boys, and the perfect boy for our girl! ^_^

I´d also imagine it a slow process. But I like the idea of Raj talking to women or at least to Penny. It would be a nice development for his character.

btw it´s selective mutism not selected ;)

I suffer from this disorder too and it´s very hard. In contrast to Raj I have rather more problems talking to men^^

I agree the idea of a Deaf girl, that's colud be perfect can u imagine Raj trying to learn the signal language and in front the girl he can not make any signal?

I was thinking maybe in future when Howard start to date with Bernardette Raj will be the silence third wheel so it will be perfect for H/B.