The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rrtaylornz

How Will The Bbt Boys React To Man Of Steel ?

Given that comic books are a huge part of the guys' lives, and Superman probably gets more 

references than any other comic book character ( plus of course Sheldon's ubiquitous Superman

t-shirts)  it stands to reason that Man of Steel would have a profound impact as a talking point.

Personally, I see an episode where half the gang love it and half the gang hate it.

Maybe call it  the  " Red trunks discrepancy"  in reference to Superman not wearing red trunks

over his tights anymore (the changes in the classic Superman costume).

Anyway, what do people think. OUt of the gang, who would have liked Man of Steel,

who would have hated it.

I see Sheldon and Raj hating the film and  Leonard and Howard loving it.

Sheldon would be stuck on orthodox elements of Superman that were changed for the 

film, whereas Leonard would see not wearing one's underwear on the outside as

an advantage.

Anyway, what does everyone else think ?

post-10311-0-10742100-1380702305_thumb.j

I kind of agree on the half and half thing.  I could see a three on one against Sheldon as well.  I do not think Sheldon will have liked it.

I also want to see a discussion on Ben Afleck as the new Batman in the next Superman film.  Given that the guys hated him in Daredevil, it would be interesting to see their reaction to that casting choice.

Edited by JonRS92

Yeah, and we can have Henry Cavill make guest appearance.  Oh wait... AWKWARD!

that is sooooo funny

thanks john

I kind of agree on the half and half thing.  I could see a three on one against Sheldon as well.  I do not think Sheldon will have liked it.

I also want to see a discussion on Ben Afleck as the new Batman in the next Superman film.  Given that the guys hated him in Daredevil, it would be interesting to see their reaction to that casting choice.

Good call !   the Batfleck thing has set nerd-dom on fire with anger and excitement.   

Given that comic books are a huge part of the guys' lives, and Superman probably gets more 

references than any other comic book character ( plus of course Sheldon's ubiquitous Superman

t-shirts)  it stands to reason that Man of Steel would have a profound impact as a talking point.

Personally, I see an episode where half the gang love it and half the gang hate it.

Maybe call it  the  " Red trunks discrepancy"  in reference to Superman not wearing red trunks

over his tights anymore (the changes in the classic Superman costume).

Anyway, what do people think. OUt of the gang, who would have liked Man of Steel,

who would have hated it.

I see Sheldon and Raj hating the film and  Leonard and Howard loving it.

Sheldon would be stuck on orthodox elements of Superman that were changed for the 

film, whereas Leonard would see not wearing one's underwear on the outside as

an advantage.

Anyway, what does everyone else think ?

I agree that Sheldon will hate it, if he's still the Sheldon I know. Sure Harry was good but the story failed to understand the character and why fans love him. I go to a science fiction group and the people there thought the movie ignored the main premise of the character, that Superman should save people. He causes more destruction than he fixed and this goes completely against the comic book. In fact the film is almost ashamed of it's comic book origins.

It was a big success at the box office I think but most of the nerds I know are not impressed. 

I agree that Sheldon will hate it, if he's still the Sheldon I know. Sure Harry was good but the story failed to understand the character and why fans love him. I go to a science fiction group and the people there thought the movie ignored the main premise of the character, that Superman should save people. He causes more destruction than he fixed and this goes completely against the comic book. In fact the film is almost ashamed of it's comic book origins.

It was a big success at the box office I think but most of the nerds I know are not impressed. 

yes, the movie certainly divided the nerd-verse !  Which is why it would make such great material for a TBBT episode.  

I've been a fan of the character since I watched the old black and white George Reeves

TV show as a little kid.  I loved Chris Reeve's Superman, and was anticipating hating Man of Steel -for precisely the reasons you

laid out.

But, instead I loved it, because it was a reinterpretation of Superman.  The Chris Reeve films were amazing back in 1978-80's

but Superman had to change with the times  -and I think this iteration of the character was spot on !  That was what

Superman should be in the 21st century, a bud-drinking, football watching, dog-loving, chest-hair sporting, t-shirt wearing

farmboy who loves his mom.

In terms of not saving people, that argument has been done to death, but I'll just touch on it.

Superman not saving anyone, causing lots of destruction......hmmmmmm, yes the Kryptonians and Zod only showed up because he

was on Earth, but he didn't intentionally bring them here and then did everything in his power to stop them, once he learned of their

dastardly plan.

Also

Superman destroys the World engine  =  prevents terraforming of Earth that would of wiped out humanity, ergo number of people saved 7 billion.

Superman kills Zod = ah-ha ! say the critics, he killed Zod to save that family, there had to be another way.  Hang on, Zod pretty much told Superman he would only stop if he was killed (and given his state of mind at the time, arguably had a death wish)  so Superman didn't kill Zod

to save the family, he Killed Zod to save the rest of the human race.

So yes, Superman did contribute to the destruction, but not really by choice -given the Godlike might of his opponent.

You can tell I've had this discussion before.  But in an imaginary world, Sheldon and Leonard probably have debated the very same

thing.   But it's a bit grim.  I think the trunks debate would be much funnier on the small screen.

thanks for your post. cheers.

I think Superman should be better than us, he's not a man. He's from another world, posing as a man. Different tastes I guess but I'm not saying it was a bad movie. 

I think Superman should be better than us, he's not a man. He's from another world, posing as a man. Different tastes I guess but I'm not saying it was a bad movie. 

That's exactly the point real-life comic fans have been ripping into each other about - which is why I think the trunks issue would be funnier to see  the BBT boys argue about.  There doesn't seem to be much middle ground, people either loved it or hated it. 

However, since you raised it. True, Supes isn't a man, he's a god-like alien. But, by that token, so was Zod  - how do you stop an

angry, and possibly insane godlike being from wiping out humanity ?

I loved the film, but strongly believe people are entitled to their own opinions. I would never try to convince you that you were wrong

(if you didn't like it......which is very  un-Sheldon of me, as he would be unable to accept anyone not seeing his point of view.....or is it

that he can't see things from anyone else's point of view, probably both.

Anyway, since Superman is such an important character to the boys, I would be very surprised if we didn't see some mention of the film

in an upcoming episode. But since Chuck Lorre's not taking my calls anymore, it's unlikely to be my "red trunks " idea. Sigh. 

Thanks for posting.  I'm really curious to hear what people think. cheers.