The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ArmyGirl

Bob Newhart Returns To Tbbt And Bill Nye As Himself

via press release:

EMMY AWARD WINNER BOB NEWHART RETURNS AS PROFESSOR PROTON, ON “The Big Bang Theory,” THURSDAY, NOV. 7

Bill Nye To Guest Star as Himself

Fresh off his Emmy Award win, Bob Newhart returns to The Big Bang Theory as Professor Proton, Sheldon’s favorite childhood hero.  In the episode, when Professor Proton (Newhart) contacts Leonard (Johnny Galecki) to ask for help with an experiment, a scorned Sheldon (Jim Parsons) seeks revenge by befriending a rival science TV host, Bill Nye, on The Big Bang Theory, Thursday, Nov. 7 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

eta: Please let me know if I put this in the wrong forum, thanks.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 3

I can't believe how much I'm geeking out with excitement over this. I love Bill Nye the Science guy, and was wondering why the hell they didn't get the real thing for the Professor Proton episode since it aired. I should also mention that I'm from Bill Nye's home city, and that he was the graduation speaker for my 8th grade graduation. Also, he was on a comedy show here called "Almost Live," (he played a "superhero" called Speedwalker who always managed to speed walk down his less healthy opponents and criminals. It was awesome.) and he totally has comedic chops. I'm so thrilled he's going to be on!

I'm less happy that Proton turned to Leonard over Sheldon, though, considering how obviously Sheldon worshipped him and how Sheldon went to great lengths to make a connection to him and make Proton understand what an important and inspiring job he had. Personally, I didn't like Proton all that much, especially all the old man leering at Penny. It seems he valued Leonard more highly than Sheldon because Leonard was the one with the hot blonde, and it just makes me think he's a shallow dick who deserved to be left by his wife. So I hope Bill ends up coming through for Sheldon, but god knows, considering Sheldon almost always has to lose, especially when he's being petty, he probably won't. However, I'll be cheering (fruitlessly) for Bill and Sheldon to create the most awesome team ever, and shove it in Leonard and Proton's faces.

• Like 2

When does Sheldon lose on this show?  I mean come on this guy gets away with every thing and he is a big bully and treats his friends like crap especially Leonard.  He doesn't appreciate all the things Leonard and the other do for him, he too self-centered to even thank Leonard once in a while  --- so forgive me if I don't cry a river for Sheldon.

As for hoping Leonard lose once again to Sheldon, isn't that what happens on this show over and over and over?!

• Like 1

I can't believe how much I'm geeking out with excitement over this. I love Bill Nye the Science guy, and was wondering why the hell they didn't get the real thing for the Professor Proton episode since it aired. I should also mention that I'm from Bill Nye's home city, and that he was the graduation speaker for my 8th grade graduation. Also, he was on a comedy show here called "Almost Live," (he played a "superhero" called Speedwalker who always managed to speed walk down his less healthy opponents and criminals. It was awesome.) and he totally has comedic chops. I'm so thrilled he's going to be on!

I'm less happy that Proton turned to Leonard over Sheldon, though, considering how obviously Sheldon worshipped him and how Sheldon went to great lengths to make a connection to him and make Proton understand what an important and inspiring job he had. Personally, I didn't like Proton all that much, especially all the old man leering at Penny. It seems he valued Leonard more highly than Sheldon because Leonard was the one with the hot blonde, and it just makes me think he's a shallow dick who deserved to be left by his wife. So I hope Bill ends up coming through for Sheldon, but god knows, considering Sheldon almost always has to lose, especially when he's being petty, he probably won't. However, I'll be cheering (fruitlessly) for Bill and Sheldon to create the most awesome team ever, and shove it in Leonard and Proton's faces.

Actually I'll say it is the other way around, Sheldon always seem's to win while Leonard always seem's to come across as petty as a consequence. I'm sorry but shove it in Leonard's face, that's the point Sheldon think's everything revolves around him. Oh someone diddn't kiss the ground Sheldon walks on, so that automatically makes Proton make's a sleaze, for telling Leonard he has a hot girlfriend? Lol give me a break, he was just stating fact's that everyone think's Leonard's the real genius, as he has a hot girlfriend, it's just the irony that's all. 

• Like 1

I'm confused. Am I on the TBBT forum? Are we talking Sheldon Cooper? The guy never loses.

• Like 1

When does Sheldon lose on this show?  I mean come on this guy gets away with every thing and he is a big bully and treats his friends like crap especially Leonard.  He doesn't appreciate all the things Leonard and the other do for him, he too self-centered to even thank Leonard once in a while  --- so forgive me if I don't cry a river for Sheldon.

He lost to Kripke when they fought their robots...

He loses to Penny when she gets banished from the aprtment after 3 strikes and she calls his mom and she makes him apologize...

Dr. Stephanie Barnett gets the better of him when she convices Sheldon that if he talks his throat will collapse and he will suffocate...

He lost to Raj & Howard when they forced him to go meet Amy for the first time... a good outcome ensued, but they still got the better of him...

He lost to Wil Wheaton at the Magic tournament...

He lost to Wil Wheaton at bowling...

He lost to the judge when defending himself over running a red light (which IMO his case seemed pretty solid to me)...

I am sure there are more, these are just off the top of my head...

• Like 1

He loses to Penny when she gets banished from the aprtment after 3 strikes and she calls his mom and she makes him apologize...

Dr. Stephanie Barnett gets the better of him when she convices Sheldon that if he talks his throat will collapse and he will suffocate...

He lost to Raj & Howard when they forced him to go meet Amy for the first time... a good outcome ensued, but they still got the better of him...

He lost to the judge when defending himself over running a red light (which IMO his case seemed pretty solid to me)...

Thank you!

And I don't really think it's a competition as to who "wins" or "loses" more than the other.

They all have their moments of triumph and their moments of deflation.

This goes back to my favorite metaphor for the gang.  It's like they're all in a small boat in the middle of the ocean.

Every now and then someone goes a little nuts and stands up in the boat--maybe it's an inflated ego (like Raj's People Magazine thing), maybe it's a moment of desperation, or some other kind of behavior that rocks the boat for everyone.

Whatever it is, sooner or later that person is talked down from the edge or has their ego balloon popped a little, they settle back down in the boat and they go back to happy bobbing in the water.

So, Sheldon may dominate in one story, Leonard in another, etc., but in the end, equilibrium returns and everything kind of evens out in the end.

I get what your saying but in the original post it was referring to Proton and Leonard. In all your examples none of his "losses" were to Leonard. ArmyGirl's response seemed to be referring to Leonard.

I get what your saying but in the original post it was referring to Proton and Leonard. In all your examples none of his "losses" were to Leonard. ArmyGirl's response seemed to be referring to Leonard.

No, people were saying that Sheldon never loses, regardless of the Prof Proton story.

Yes, I was referring to Leonard in reference to what was posted about Proton/Leonard and Nye/Sheldon.

It's very rare for Leonard to come out on top where it he versus Sheldon and I don't expect a different results in this upcoming episode.

No, people were saying that Sheldon never loses, regardless of the Prof Proton story.

Sorry, you don't get to speak for me. 

Edited by ArmyGirl

Sheldon loses to Leonard at the Physics Bowl...

There's countless examples of Leonard using the Roommate Agreement agianst Sheldon (Greek food on pizza night for example)...

Leonard gets the better of Sheldon when he doesn't inform Sheldon his night work on the university laser is done and Sheldon continues to sleep at the school...

Leonard scares the crap out of Sheldon with that Star Trek alien mask...

Leonard also gets Sheldon with the inflatable balloon in the mailbox...

Leonard and Penny beat Sheldon in Halo...

C'mon people, think before you post... =)  (negative tone on my part, my bad)

Edited by SydNC

I'm more interested in whether Proton will continue to be a bit of a dick, as Lio noted. And if Leonard calls him on it if he is. We lost evil Will Wheaton. Maybe there is room for another visiting jerk. It might be fun.

Me too. Love Bob Newhart but didn't like Prof. Proton because of that. Hope it changes.

• Like 1

There's countless examples of Leonard using the Roommate Agreement agianst Sheldon (Greek food on pizza night for example)...

Leonard gets the better of Sheldon when he doesn't inform Sheldon his night work on the university laser is done and Sheldon continues to sleep at the school...

C'mon people, think before you post... =)

Your literal interpretation is correct.

Sheldon lost to all the guys and Leslie in Physics bowl- mainly because of his own doing.

The roommate agreement- Granted Leonard did sign it. I think Leonard's loses much more than wins with that.

the university laser- what did he lose.

The halloween scares Sheldon got even by being in the couch- also Leonard just found Priya was sleeping with her ex boyfriend.

Halo- they wouldn't of gotten to play without her.

I think more the point is while your examples are true that he did lose many people really have a hard time feeling sorry for him cause its hard to fell sorry for an unsympathetic character.(IMO). Also Sheldon could have prevented many of these losses himself.

Your literal interpretation is correct.

Sheldon lost to all the guys and Leslie in Physics bowl- mainly because of his own doing.

The roommate agreement- Granted Leonard did sign it. I think Leonard's loses much more than wins with that.

the university laser- what did he lose.

The halloween scares Sheldon got even by being in the couch- also Leonard just found Priya was sleeping with her ex boyfriend.

Halo- they wouldn't of gotten to play without her.

I think more the point is while your examples are true that he did lose many people really have a hard time feeling sorry for him cause its hard to fell sorry for an unsympathetic character.(IMO). Also Sheldon could have prevented many of these losses himself.

Totally agree he garners no sympathy, but to say he never loses is just incorrect.  He loses all the time.

What did he lose about the university laser?  The ability to stay at his own home...

You mention a lot of circumstances as to why he loses, but every lose by everyone anywhere involves circumstances leading up to it... not sure what your point is.  And yes, Sheldon gets even on Leonard by being in the couch, but it doesn't change the fact that immediately after Sheldon claims he can never be fooled or scared that he is indeed fooled and scared.

Edited by SydNC

C'mon people, think before you post... =)

Technically you can say Leonard won but you can also say in also all the situation Sheldon lost due to his own making.

Take the Physics Bowl it was Sheldon thinking he is the only one that knew the answers and refused to take the answer that guy gave.

On Leonard getting to scare Sheldon, who won in the end.  It wasn't Leonard!

I could go on ----- but

Totally agree he garners no sympathy, but to say he never loses is just incorrect.  He loses all the time.

What did he lose about the university laser?  The ability to stay at his own home...

You mention a lot of circumstances as to why he loses, but every lose by everyone anywhere involves circumstances leading up to it... not sure what your point is.  And yes, Sheldon gets even on Leonard by being in the couch, but it doesn't change the fact that immediately after Sheldon claims he can never be fooled or scared that he is indeed fooled and scared.

The Physics Bowl for example. If he could been a team player they could of all won together. Your example of never fooled or scared. If he never said that he might garner sympathy. Your right he does lose a lot.  More my point he could control some of his "losses" by his actions.

More my point he could control some of his "losses" by his actions.

So could anyone who has ever lost anything since the beginning of time...  you seem to be making the case that if you can pin-point why someone lost and what they could have done to won then it doesn't count as a true loss... I am sorry if I am reading into it wrong...

Sure, if he was more of a team player, he would have won the physics bowl... but in that case, they would have all been on the same team to begin with... his arrogance is his weakness, and if that is why he losses something, it still counts as a loss...

Edited by SydNC

So could anyone who has ever lost anything since the beginning of time...  you seem to be making the case that if you can pin-point why someone lost and what they could have done to won then it doesn't count as a true loss... I am sorry if I am reading into it wrong...

Sure, if he was more of a team player, he would have won the physics bowl... but in that case, they would have all been on the same team to begin with... his arrogance is his weakness, and if that is why he losses something, it still counts as a loss...

I understand it counts as a true loss. As you said it his "arrogrance" but if it was just "bad luck" people would be sorry for his losing. But like almost everything else on this forum it's perception not reality. That's why he garners no sympathy and some don't consider what happens to him a true loss.

I understand it counts as a true loss. As you said it his "arrogrance" but if it was just "bad luck" people would be sorry for his losing. But like almost everything else on this forum it's perception not reality. That's why he garners no sympathy and some don't consider what happens to him a true loss.

We're in 100% complete agreement he doesn't get nor deserve sympathy... =)  Because even when it is just bad luck, he's a jackass... like when he got sick when his mom was visiting... for a split second, they started to feel bad, until he shoved it in their faces he was getting his mom's full attention back...

Edited by SydNC
  • Like 1

When does Sheldon lose on this show? I mean come on this guy gets away with every thing and he is a big bully and treats his friends like crap especially Leonard. He doesn't appreciate all the things Leonard and the other do for him, he too self-centered to even thank Leonard once in a while --- so forgive me if I don't cry a river for Sheldon.

As for hoping Leonard lose once again to Sheldon, isn't that what happens on this show over and over and over?!

Well, Sheldon is what they call an "educated fool", which is a person who is extremely book smart, but crazily street dumb. Whenever Sheldon does something mean, he doesn't realize he's being mean, which Bernadette actually lampshaded in one episode in Season 5. Edited by wammyguide

Well, Sheldon is what they call an "educated fool", which is a person who is extremely book smart, but crazily street dumb. Whenever Sheldon does something mean, he doesn't realize he's being mean, which Bernadette actually lampshaded in one episode in Season 5.

I think most get that though I don't know if that's a 100% true. though.  Still I don't think everyone thinks that should be an excuse for him and a sort of "free pass" when he does something "dumb".