The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.05 "the Workplace Proximity" (October 17)

Your Episode Rating  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Could Sheldon be more clueless?

Yup, I really think he could LOL

We have yet to plumb the depth of his cluelessness.

Edited by gsxdoug
  • Like 1

Loved this episode so much.  How can you get so much cuteness in one single 20 minute period is beyond me.

Loved how adorable Shamy were at the start of the show and how Sheldon looked truly excited and happy that Amy would be working at Cal Tech.   She was her own buzz kill to him, then Howard's advice made a further buzz kill.  But even after all that he was still very happy she was working there, even if he went about it all wrong.

Love how much he couldn't stay away from her.   She was really the flame and he was the moth even though he assumed it to be the other way around.  But he was going to her always, not the reverse.    It was adorable.   Again, his cluelessness was the big issue, not his lack of desire. :firstmove:

Love how he said they hug even when it's hot...Shelly boy, I bet it gets real hot when you and Amy hug and you are enjoying every minute of it! ;)  He calls her his cute little lump of wool.  How adorably awkward of a sentiment, yet makes sense when you think of him.  He sees her as cute, little, everything wonderful lumped into one package and she always wears sweaters made of wool.   Can't get much cuter of a phrase from such a socially awkward kind of guy like him.  :girlinlove:

Love how Howard and Raj still hang out and are like they were from early seasons, yet at the same time you can tell Howard does love his wife.  He is also clueless and doesn't realize how he comes across, even with her explanation.   But you can tell they will work it out.

Love how Sheldon and the monkey both reacted the same to Amy's stimuli videos.   That was a hoot.   It also was fun watching her reaction to seeing him react the same as the monkey.  You could nearly hear the wheels turning and her saying to herself, "that explains a lot".  :laugh:

Love how Sheldon didn't complain about riding the bus.  This is a big step for him.   But an even bigger step was his not being able to sleep because he still could sense things were not right between he and Amy and wanted to fix them.   While his approach was wrong, his heart was right and Amy could tell that and see it.  His confession of his feelings was an enormous step for him.   And while he put his foot in his mouth and she shut the door in his face, there was still a sense that she understood him and realized his heart was saying a lot to her even if the words didn't match. :giveheart:

And there was something just so adorable about Leonard/Penny cuddling and sharing a blanket together watching TV.  So domestic and cute.   I also loved how they were in total agreement and stood up for Amy, neither even needing to hear Sheldon's side.  Although I do wonder if perhaps they had truly listened to him if they could not have guided him into seeing his own errors.  Maybe, maybe not with him.  

Overall it was just a very funny and adorable show all in one.   Loved it. :girlinlove:

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 4

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I liked the ep even though it wasn't laugh out loud at the same level of others. And i like that, because it brought some character development, for Howard, Sheldon and Amy. 

And I kinda wanna play laser balloon now

• Like 5

Oh, how could I have forgotten that...it was one of my favorite of all scenes...the laser balloon busts.  I loved that!   It was so typical of the guys to do that kind of thing.  I want to do it now... :laugh:

I also realize that Sheldon thinks of Amy as his significant other.   When he was explaining to the girls why he changed his mind about Amy working at Cal Tech he said it was because Howard was talking about how he wouldn't want to work with his significant other, and he placed an emphasis on the word his, as if he was making it clear that Howard has one and he (Sheldon) had one.  It was so subtle but wonderful! :girlinlove:

• Like 1

Too bad there was a chair in the way, Amy could have kicked a bit higher that his shin.

I just loved this scene!  :biggrin:

Didn't like the ep much. Very little to laugh about. The marginalisation of the Lenny continues.

Didn't like the ep much. Very little to laugh about. The marginalisation of the Lenny continues.

Marginalisation?   Well they may not have had as big of a role in this episode as in many others this season, but they can't be front and center always.   They were very sweet tonight.  I thought they were very cute. It was nice seeing them be happy and domestic.

• Like 2

Marginalisation? I am not sure where your getting that from, they were just watching a movie in this episode, it was a small amount of Lenny because their role in the episode wasen't substantial. Not every episode their has to be big milestone moment's in their relationship, your going too see that next week anyway.

Just watched the episode it was a great episode, not the best episode of the season that goes to Scavenger Hunt Vortex, but it was still very good, just show's you how brilliant Season 7 has been, loved in the end with balloons, the science is definately coming back. Although it went by fast and it was more focused on Sheldon and Amy's relationship, I thought the rest did great as support to Story A, Leonard and Raj predicting how Howard was going to get out of the argument with Bernadette was classic haha. I feel though TBBT is at it's best when the main story involves the whole cast and all the character's, like Scavenger Vortex, overall I would give it a B+, it was less laugh out loud and more focused on character development, but that's okay I laughed pretty much through out the episode, but I don't need to laugh out loud consistently, I enjoy subtle comedy in the show, and I loved the scene at Amy's door with Sheldon, they are really coming along.

I loved the episode.  My shamy heart is so full right now.  Whoever is writing for season 7 is doing a wonderful job so far.

I agree that I hated that Sheldon blamed Amy when he was the one in the wrong, but it just went in with his clueless nature.  And Amy understood him, and it was written all over her face that she understood him.  Wow, I just loved the interactions between those two in this episode.  You could really see a connection, and I love that Sheldon is acting like he used to in season 4 and early 5 -- like he really wants to be with Amy.  This was probably my favorite shamy episode since flaming spittoon. 

Everyone else was hilarious too -- loved howard and raj hanging out again, and leonard and penny being cozy on the couch.  Howard was hilarious defending himself to Bernie.  And I really like Sheldon so far this season -- they really seem to have captured him better then they have in a while, in my opinion.  I loved that Amy stood up for herself, and I love, loved the scene with her and the monkey in her lab.  Yay, the science is back, and the last scene with the laser and the balloons was perfect.

I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it!  :imsohappy:

It was okay. I mean, it started out with so much promise - I LOVED "Don't worry little moth, the flame will come to you." And Amy telling Sheldon "I didn't ask your permission." But as it progressed, Sheldon just got me angry. He's doing the same thing he's always done, but I guess the apology at the end was too little, especially when I know he was capable of more (did anyone notice him willingly reach out and shake Amy's colleague's hand when they were introduced?). It's not the actors' fault whatsoever, but maybe I'm just so tired of being stretched so thin by these writers! Could it have KILLED them to end the episode with a hug? Maybe even a pat on the back? Ah!!! My Shamy heart bleeds! 

Regardless of my feels, the rest of the cast was hilarious as always. The dialogue is really top notch so far this season. Loving it all!

Edited by tx-fictionqueen
  • Like 1

It was okay. I mean, it started out with so much promise - I LOVED "Don't worry little moth, the flame will come to you." And Amy telling Sheldon "I didn't ask your permission." But as it progressed, Sheldon just got me angry. He's doing the same thing he's always done, but I guess the apology at the end was too little, especially when I know he was capable of more (did anyone notice him willingly reach out and shake Amy's colleague's hand when they were introduced?). It's not the actors' fault whatsoever, but maybe I'm just so tired of being stretched so thin by these writers! Could it have KILLED them to end the episode with a hug? Maybe even a pat on the back? Ah!!! My Shamy heart bleeds! 

Regardless of my feels, the rest of the cast was hilarious as always. The dialogue is really top notch so far this season. Loving it all!

I think the writer's are preparing for a big Shamy moment later on in the season, don't worry they well get their.

• Like 2

I think the writer's are preparing for a big Shamy moment later on in the season, don't worry they well get their.

Maybe so...ugh I don't read spoilers or tape reports so I probably sound like I'm whining lol but I believe in the Shamy! :) 

I feel your pain, but I have to consider a few things here....

1) Amy knows that Sheldon's heart was in the right place.  While she did close the door in his face, you know she was probably happy dancing on the other side that he admitted to her face that he "likes" her.  He has never expressed feelings to her and he expressed a feeling for the first time.  You know it was far more than "like" behind the word, but to her it was like a teen boy telling a teen girl that he really, really, really likes her.   It was far more.

2) Sheldon was happy  and always the "moth to her flame".  Sheldon showed so many signs of being smitten tonight:  

1.     he was happy and charmed about her working at Cal-Tech
  2.     after Howard's ill advise and he goes to talk to her, he implies she is his significant other.  This is HUGE for Sheldon.  Expressing feelings that are very strong.
  3.     upon returning he wanted to make sure that the guys knew that things were good with he and Amy, really good
  4.     while wording it as if she wanted to eat at the "cool" table, it was clear he wanted to eat with her and took his "flame" to her "moth"
  5.     he couldn't wait to make sure everyone knew that he was dating her and called her his "cute little lump of wool"
  6.     he couldn't wait to see her at her new office digs
  7.     he couldn't wait to have her drive him home, even if it didn't work out the way she expected
  8.     he couldn't sleep at night because he was worried things were not right between them.  He came to apologize and again pours out his feelings to her.

Sheldon always has been every ego-centric but part of that is to hide a lot of what he is really feeling.  Sure he cares far more than a "like" about her.  Sure he realizes he is the weirdo and not her.  But one of the ways Sheldon can look himself in the mirror daily is to convince himself that everyone else is the problem, not him.    Amy gets this.   She has figured out that he uses his arrogance as a cover, especially when feelings are stronger.

He really did feel better though because he let out as he was able to at this point in time, yet it was taking off a lot of pressure that had been building in him.  He really needed to let her know that she meant a whole lot to him and he felt he had accomplished that.   So while from an audience perspective it may not have seemed satisfying, from a character perspective it was very appropriate and in keeping with who he is.   I think it also is in keeping with their relationship.

Sheldon is taking steps to get there.  I do believe his feelings for Amy are getting stronger and stronger and smitten Sheldon is definitely back.   He is so smitten with her that he is going to burst...which I think we will see evidence of as the season progresses.  Just my take on tonight's episode.

• Like 8

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

his intentions were in the right place though. His first response was to be OK with it, and started screwing up by following Howard's advice. And he took it even if it was wrong because he was told that that was the way to have his relationship in a good place. And then switched to "possessive boyfriend" mode when Leonard told him Howard was wrong. Again, he was trying to make things the right way, but listening to the wrong people, and of course, exaggerating.  I'm usually the first one to be annoyed with him, but i cannot really see him at fault other than the execution of his good intentions going somehow wrong, because, hey, this is Sheldon Cooper after all.

His talk with Amy at the end was very sweet, and I would dare to say mature even though he was being delusional about himself as usual. The thing is, he is the moth, Amy is the flame, and even if he thinks she's a "weirdo" he still "likes her for who she is, quirks and all". *sigh* beautiful.

I didn't mind the door on his face though, and they had to cut the sweetness with something, this is TBBT after all.

• Like 2

I've noticed something though that deadpan, oblivious Sheldon is returning, reminded me of the old Sheldon from S1-3. Like when in 3x02 Sheldon blurted out about Leonard and Penny's dissapointing first time, and the scene at door with Amy in Penny's apartment, he was completly deadpan and obvlious it was awesome haha.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

I feel your pain, but I have to consider a few things here....

1) Amy knows that Sheldon's heart was in the right place.  While she did close the door in his face, you know she was probably happy dancing on the other side that he admitted to her face that he "likes" her.  He has never expressed feelings to her and he expressed a feeling for the first time.  You know it was far more than "like" behind the word, but to her it was like a teen boy telling a teen girl that he really, really, really likes her.  

I definitely felt it when he said he "liked" her that he meant much, much more. That was the highlight of the scene at her apartment, for sure!

His talk with Amy at the end was very sweet, and I would dare to say mature even though he was being delusional about himself as usual. The thing is, he is the moth, Amy is the flame, and even if he thinks she's a "weirdo" he still "likes her for who she is, quirks and all". *sigh* beautiful.

I like what you said there. It's so true! 

Thank God for other Shamy fans here to talk me back from the ledge when I'm ready to die in a sea of sadness that the Shamy is going so slow. But I have to admit--the magic does get stronger every episode. Maybe tomorrow when I can re-watch the episode with these fresh new perspectives in mind, I won't be so disappointed. 

Edited by tx-fictionqueen
  • Like 3

Lovely episode, Horwad and Raj are by far my favorite couple! :) However, I too was a little bit put off by Sheldon's behavior. I know that it's just Sheldon being Sheldon, but sometimes I feel like he actually doesn't treat Amy very well, and that bothers me. I do feel like at this point in their relationship he sould be a little more aware of Amy and her feelings. Sometimes I feel like he's too much, and Amy wouldn't put up with his antics like she does. That being said, I defintiely enjoyed this episode, and I still love Sheldon; it's just one of those nights I guess.

patience young padawan. you will be rewarded soon like very soon.

Pearl, since I've met you, my fangirlisms are off the charts. It's your fault I have so much FEELINGS

I'm going to write a longer "review" later but there are a few subtle things in this episode besides the obvious, that are totally connected to that hand-shake, tx-fictionqueen. Have you noticed that part about "Really? What tipped you off?" and Sheldon says "Your tone of voice, your body language". Whether that's going to be specific to Amy or general, they're making the point he has become better at figuring out when she's annoyed and upset by noticing her body language. That was a massive leap. Of course, for one thing he figures out (body language, she's upset, he must fix it), there is another one he doesn't: what the problem is. But it's such a huge step forward for him. 

Overall, I agree it wasn't a big laugh out loud episode, but it was there for a reason, I think. They're definitely setting something up for Shamy and this has reset the balance for all the times Amy was just standing there and taking it last season. Sheldon is indeed back to the Sheldon who *wants* to be with her. It was so adorably clear throughout the episode and there were so many lines that made up for the crap we had last year (the cafeteria scene, with the mention of handholding and hugging was a nice clean slate on that "bearpaw" line from last year). 

One thing I wasn't particularly keen on, but I understand it needed to serve the purpose of the episode, was that Amy was way too "normal" for my liking and I do think Mayim's acting in the scene at her door at night wasn't her best acting. It seemed a bit forced. But I do understand the take home message about the episode was Sheldon's behavior and declaration, rather than hers. It was huge. I also think the irony in that door scene is that Amy *is* considered a weirdo by many people, probably even her own friends at times (cue that look Penny and Bernadette exchanged earlier at girls nights when she told them about the love of repetitons, lol). Sheldon isn't all that far off. ;)

I also noticed they reused a few scenes from classic Shamy episodes: the Cheesecake Factory was a mirror of 5x12, the way the guys playing cards was a mirror of 5x10, the doorway scene from Fish Guts. 

Anyway, going to rewatch :) 

• Like 1

I'm going to write a longer "review" later but there are a few subtle things in this episode besides the obvious, that are totally connected to that hand-shake, tx-fictionqueen. Have you noticed that part about "Really? What tipped you off?" and Sheldon says "Your tone of voice, your body language". Whether that's going to be specific to Amy or general, they're making the point he has become better at figuring out when she's annoyed and upset by noticing her body language. That was a massive leap. Of course, for one thing he figures out (body language, she's upset, he must fix it), there is another one he doesn't: what the problem is. But it's such a huge step forward for him. 

Overall, I agree it wasn't a big laugh out loud episode, but it was there for a reason, I think. They're definitely setting something up for Shamy and this has reset the balance for all the times Amy was just standing there and taking it last season. Sheldon is indeed back to the Sheldon who *wants* to be with her. It was so adorably clear throughout the episode and there were so many lines that made up for the crap we had last year (the cafeteria scene, with the mention of handholding and hugging was a nice clean slate on that "bearpaw" line from last year). 

One thing I wasn't particularly keen on, but I understand it needed to serve the purpose of the episode, was that Amy was way too "normal" for my liking and I do think Mayim's acting in the scene at her door at night wasn't her best acting. It seemed a bit forced. But I do understand the take home message about the episode was Sheldon's behavior and declaration, rather than hers. It was huge. I also think the irony in that door scene is that Amy *is* considered a weirdo by many people, probably even her own friends at times (cue that look Penny and Bernadette exchanged earlier at girls nights when she told them about the love of repetitons, lol). Sheldon isn't all that far off. ;)

I also noticed they reused a few scenes from classic Shamy episodes: the Cheesecake Factory was a mirror of 5x12, the way the guys playing cards was a mirror of 5x10, the doorway scene from Fish Guts. 

Anyway, going to rewatch :)

Mayim seemed like she wasn't feeling well when this was taped.  Her voice was nearly gone in several scenes and she just looked a bit "dazed" a lot of the time, like when you don't feel well.  I think she may have been sick.

One of the reasons why she probably slammed the door in his face is not only did he not own up to being a weirdo, but that she knew he was right to a certain extent.  But I also think after the door was closed, she was happy that he revealed so much to her.  He really did reveal a lot to her in a couple of days' time.   While she was still playing like she was upset when with the girls, I didn't get the feeling she really was...but more a show for the girls.

Edited by stardustmelody

1.     he was happy and charmed about her working at Cal-Tech
  2.     after Howard's ill advise and he goes to talk to her, he implies she is his significant other.  This is HUGE for Sheldon.  Expressing feelings that are very strong.
  3.     upon returning he wanted to make sure that the guys knew that things were good with he and Amy, really good
  4.     while wording it as if she wanted to eat at the "cool" table, it was clear he wanted to eat with her and took his "flame" to her "moth"
  5.     he couldn't wait to make sure everyone knew that he was dating her and called her his "cute little lump of wool"
  6.     he couldn't wait to see her at her new office digs
  7.     he couldn't wait to have her drive him home, even if it didn't work out the way she expected
  8.     he couldn't sleep at night because he was worried things were not right between them.  He came to apologize and again pours out his feelings to her.

Just my take on tonight's episode.

My take on your eight points:

1.Sheldon reall didn't seem to care she was working there.

2.Howard's advice wasn't wrong he used it incorrectly

3.Sheldon saying he was good was rubbing it in Howard's face cause he knows he got him in trouble.

4.Sheldon actually thought sitting with the guys was the "cool table".

5.Is "cute little lump of wool" really a compliment?

6. Sheldon was making fun of Amy's office and didn't see the significance of her work

7. Couldn't get a ride from Leonard because he was working late. Amy wasn't his first choice.

8.Was told by L/P he was wrong and since he was wide awake from sleeping on the bus decided to go to Amy's to apologize but didn't.

My take of Amy and Sheldon on tonights episode.

• Like 1