The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.05 "the Workplace Proximity" (October 17)

Your Episode Rating  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I thought it was a weak episode. They seem to want to lean on the notion that Sheldon, inspite of his intelligence, has no idea he is an arrogant, annoying, and tedious asshole. He constantly betrays his friends to each other, and is apparently unaware he is doing it. He has no conscience and never feels remorse. No, that isn't exactly correct. They have written him to be totally unaware when he has done something for which he should feel remorse, which in his arrogance he would not feel anyway. It isn't good comedy.

• Like 2

I enjoyed watching Sheldon and the monkey, just not sure if Amy wouldn't be better off with the monkey.

Didn't like the ep much. Very little to laugh about. The marginalisation of the Lenny continues.

I must disagree. This episode showed Lenny as a happy couple enjoying each others company, It showed that last weeks problem was settled with no damage to their relationship. That's one of the advantages of being the tertiary story in an episode, the writers don't have time to screw up the relationship. The time to worry is an episode when they become the main story.

• Like 2

My take on your eight points:

1.Sheldon reall didn't seem to care she was working there.

2.Howard's advice wasn't wrong he used it incorrectly

3.Sheldon saying he was good was rubbing it in Howard's face cause he knows he got him in trouble.

4.Sheldon actually thought sitting with the guys was the "cool table".

5.Is "cute little lump of wool" really a compliment?

6. Sheldon was making fun of Amy's office and didn't see the significance of her work

7. Couldn't get a ride from Leonard because he was working late. Amy wasn't his first choice.

8.Was told by L/P he was wrong and since he was wide awake from sleeping on the bus decided to go to Amy's to apologize but didn't.

My take of Amy and Sheldon on tonights episode.

I could do a very similar breakdown of Lenny in the last episode. And lots of other episodes. Whether we have all got shippers goggles on or whether we all miss the point is the question.

• Like 7

I love how simply he said "I like you". It's as if he though she should already know and he has said it many times before.

And I loved how she said "I like you too" because it seemed like she said it in a way that showed that she was just dying to let it out. 

Amazing emotional growth for Shamy in this episode.

Edited by AndyRenee
  • Like 6

I enjoyed watching Sheldon and the monkey, just not sure if Amy wouldn't be better off with the monkey.

I must disagree. This episode showed Lenny as a happy couple enjoying each others company, It showed that last weeks problem was settled with no damage to their relationship. That's one of the advantages of being the tertiary story in an episode, the writers don't have time to screw up the relationship. The time to worry is an episode when they become the main story.

That was what I was thinking about Penny and Leonard. They looked very comfy together. There is not a lot of laughs when it's all good.

The scene with Sheldon and the monkey. I kind of think there was a subtle metaphor in this. Sheldon is the monkey and Amy is either in control or studying him to get more control. It goes back to the comments she made back in s4e3 when she said physics is just cute when compared to neurobiology.

• Like 2

Not the strongest episode of the season so far but it was awesome, only 5 episode's in people got to remember. Next week's look's awesome, the show need's to put Lenny back in the forefront though JMO, with Sheldon and Amy as the arch, but I loved Shamy in this episode, yeah Sheldon is still oblivous to Amy, and come's across as arrogant, but come on compared to the way he was in S1 he has made tremendous growth, S1 Sheldon would of gone home and that's it lol, he is now gaining social awareness of people, regardless if he implied Amy was weird even though he is too, so they compliment each other haha.

• Like 2

Well I enjoyed tonight's episode for the most part.  It was both sweet and annoying to see Sheldon try to be there for Amy.  He really doesn't get it!  And its clear by the promo for the next episode that she is there with him while he tries to work out problem with his new element that this fight isn't going to continue on and that Amy realizes she can't take what he says to be hurtful, because in his own weird twisted socially inept way he genuinely thought he was being a good boyfriend.  The best parts was that he actually was one to come over to her table.  He was drawn to her like the moth to the flame not the otherway around, he was the one to bring up that they are a couple and that they have a PHYSICAL relationship SQUEE!!  The fact that he even mentioned it shows that he is learning not to hate that aspect of their relationship, I mean remember the relationship agreement had specific times for handholding, now they just DO IT whenever even on hot days LOL :p

The fact that she didn't just give in to him right away made me happy too, because at least it shows that he realized he upset her and came to her door to fix things.  Its almost like Sheldon was talking about himself, but was too proud/embarrassed to admit it so he acts like its her problem not his.  He did the same thing when he came to work with her and had to say "I'm sorry"  I wish they had just let him say "I'm sorry" again all genuine and sad like he did the last time they worked together at her lab and he pissed her off, but I guess him say "I like you quirks and all" was his way of really saying "I hope you like me quirks and all and will continue to put up with my nonsense."  Putting the blame all on her helps him reconcile it with his oversized ego, but he had to know he messed up if he didn't think so he wouldn't have come over and all he'd have tried to get revenge on her like he did last week or waited until she came to apologize to him.   He knew he was wrong you can tell by the way he knocked on her door all soft and sad with his head down in shame. 

Sheldon does need to grow up more, but I think its going to take a big push to get him to be more polite, honest and considerate towards Amy and I don't just mean a break up.  Break ups don't fix things, they just drag things out on sitcoms.  Best way to work through this problem is for Amy to simply sit down with Sheldon and tell him exactly what it was about what he did that upset her that it wasn't that he came over and introduced himself as her boyfriend or that he wanted to ride home with her just to spend more time with her, but she should have done what Bernadette did and said "It hurt my feelings the way you said the things you said the appropriate and more polite way to say it would be" and then explain what that is, she's done it before.   But for the sake of comedy, they have it end with her slamming the door in his face and him still Not really getting it.  Its silly, but it is what it is, they'll move on to something else silly next week so its really not that big of a deal.  Sheldon is a egotistical jerk who annoys the hell out of everyone, but Amy is willing to accept him "quirks and all" so I guess that means I can too.  Otherwise she'd have left him and hooked up with Stuart long time ago.

But I was actually more surprised/annoyed by Howard's behavior tonight he should get back on the estrogen cream or something, he was starting to become the sweetest most romantic guy in the group there for awhile and actually seemed to bond with Amy a few episodes ago and now he's regressing again.  I mean Sheldon always acts like a jerk, but Howard use to and then stopped and now it was like old selfish clueless Howie was back again. 

Clearly its like the four guys seem to trade off on who is going to be the selfish jerk each week, last week it was  Leonard, this week Howard, I guess next week's its Raj's turn again, but its just stupid because with them they are the ones who supposedly should have learned better by now.  They don't have same issues with social ineptness and not understanding social cues that Sheldon does or at least they pretend not to and yet they still manage to be rude, egotistical and selfish towards their ladies just like Sheldon does. At least when Sheldon does it is funny, but when Leonard or Howard act that way they just look pathetic.  People always blame Sheldon when he screws up, but really none of what happened tonight would have even been an issue if Howard hadn't tried to talk Sheldon out of letting Amy work at the University.  He should have kept his BIG mouth shut.  If he had said nothing, Sheldon wouldn't have gone over there and screwed things up for himself or told Bernadette what Howie said. 

Howard then had the chance to make it right just like Sheldon tried to by going after her, but instead Howard chose to stay and play that video game with Raj even after Bernadette was completely honest about her feelings and how neglected she felt right then he ignored her.  He was being selfish as can be pure and simple and he doesn't even have the excuse that oh he didn't understand what she meant like Sheldon uses, because HE CLEARLY DID UNDERSTAND!  

But, you know what its not really a big deal none of these fights matter much, because we all know next week they'll be over these and instead be on to arguing about new silly stuff all over again or a new misunderstanding will occur between them, it happens almost every single week now.  Frankly I would like the writers to change it up a little and for the girls to find new ways to react to the guys idiocy just to spice things up.  The girls react the same way almost each time, Bernadette stalks off angrily, Amy slams a door in Sheldon's face and the guys keep making almost the exact same type of selfish mistakes.  So finding new ways to deal with it would at least make it less repetitious and funnier. 

But, I will say that even though this episode was pretty much a rehash of stuff done before, I did like that it was consistent and that Sheldon is smiling a lot more now.  He isn't so robotic anymore and the happy way he smiles at Amy over and over again in this episode is just about the cutest thing I've seen him do besides singing soft kitty so I enjoy that aspect of it.

Oh but Raj gets major props for the Best Quote of the Night "As You Wish!'  Gotta love Princess Bride. ;)

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 1

What I found so true in that last exchange is that, although of course it was meant to be a humorous line, there is some truth to it. They both are weird and they both put up with each other's nonsense. People were complaining last year that Amy was being too "pushy" and was forcing him to do things he didn't care for, like romantic date nights etc. I don't necessarily agree with that, but, if we look at it from Sheldon's perspective, he might have felt that way too a little. He obviously wasn't looking forward to their V-day date, but he dressed up and practiced a facial expression for it (lol) just to make her happy. So while it might not be "nonsense" compared to what we see her put up with, or compared to what a normal person would consider nonsense, it is to him. But the bottom line of that dialogue at her door is, that he doesn't mind, because he likes her the way she is, even if it does mean putting up with that. 

eta: I just wanted to add that I absolutely loved professional, science-driven Amy in this episode. It was about time the show emphasized she's a scientist first and foremost and that she won't put that on the backburner for Sheldon.

Edited by koops
  • Like 8

You can't have Lenny leading every episode and I don't think it will be all sweetness for any of the couples throughout the next couple of seasons, there will be angst stuff coming if only to extend the relationships

Edited by rachelshamyfan

You can't have Lenny leading every episode and I don't think it will be all sweetness for any of the couples throughout the next couple of seasons, there will be angst stuff coming if only to extend the relationships

I agree with that the current status quo with Lenny is they are settled and almost domesticated, most of the stories from this point on well revolve around 1. Their relationship 2. Their impending engagement and 3. Meeting their families e.t.c. They haven't been diminished in any form or capacity, I guess this was the least amount of air time they have had ever from what I can remember, although Sesaon 6 was almost the Lenny Show at time's so it's all good, I have a soft spot for Shamy so I really enjoyed this episode. I think though TBBT is at it's best when Story A involves the entire cast JMO.

I really enjoyed feisty Amy. But clueless Sheldon seems impervious. I also enjoyed the L/P solidarity and I loved the blanket idea - it's so domestic and cute. I can't imagine staying away from home so i don't quite get the Bernie thing - it's not a recipe for longevity I'd of thought. Raj as the other women makes me laugh - Howard is still a teenager, and dumb with it. The games addiction has helped kill one marriage I knew, but that's probably not a harbinger.

I laughed a lot throughout, especially at the literal interpretations by Sheldon of his father's aphorisms in the open (so not a discerning critic). And the monkey bit was top notch.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

I can't really handle the smiley Sheldon.  It's like he's WAY too happy.  I've noticed this since LSP and it's totally noticeable.  I wonder what makes him so happy?........  :-P

My take on your eight points:

1.Sheldon reall didn't seem to care she was working there.

2.Howard's advice wasn't wrong he used it incorrectly

3.Sheldon saying he was good was rubbing it in Howard's face cause he knows he got him in trouble.

4.Sheldon actually thought sitting with the guys was the "cool table".

5.Is "cute little lump of wool" really a compliment?

6. Sheldon was making fun of Amy's office and didn't see the significance of her work

7. Couldn't get a ride from Leonard because he was working late. Amy wasn't his first choice.

8.Was told by L/P he was wrong and since he was wide awake from sleeping on the bus decided to go to Amy's to apologize but didn't.

My take of Amy and Sheldon on tonights episode.

Why do you think it's not? It's a ridiculous petname, but a sweet one nonetheless.

And half-empty, half-full glasses interpretations apart, the main point of their plot was that after Sheldon's usual egotistical assumption that Amy can't be apart of him or take her mind off his wonderful persona, HE was the moth going around the flame that was her, he was the one who couldn't take her away of his mind, for one reason or another. Fine if in your opinion his behaviour or intentions are not "romantic" at all, but to say or imply the man doesn't give a damn, is to try to deny the evident.

Edited by sarah7
  • Like 5

I enjoyed the episode as always.  Howard and Raj were funny, nice Lenny and Shamy moments.  What really stuck with me, but in a bad way, was how the writers handled Sheldon at the end.  His comments to Amy about the demands of dating a socially awkward person were really good...until he said he was talking about Amy.  I get that this probably supposed to be for humor but I thought they really made Sheldon take a huge step backward after all the positive growth he made in season 6.  At least three times last season Sheldon addressed and took ownership of his own social awkwardness.  All of a sudden he just doesn't see it again and is back to square one?  I think that scene with Amy would have been so much better if he was being like season 6 Sheldon.  Maybe there is some subtlety that I am not getting, but I thought Sheldon had a huge regression at the end of this episode that slightly took away from what I thought had been a great episode. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the episode as always.  Howard and Raj were funny, nice Lenny and Shamy moments.  What really stuck with me, but in a bad way, was how the writers handled Sheldon at the end.  His comments to Amy about the demands of dating a socially awkward person were really good...until he said he was talking about Amy.  I get that this probably supposed to be for humor but I thought they really made Sheldon take a huge step backward after all the positive growth he made in season 6.  At least three times last season Sheldon addressed and took ownership of his own social awkwardness.  All of a sudden he just doesn't see it again and is back to square one?  I think that scene with Amy would have been so much better if he was being like season 6 Sheldon.  Maybe there is some subtlety that I am not getting, but I thought Sheldon had a huge regression at the end of this episode that slightly took away from what I thought had been a great episode. 

Actually I thought the opposite I Thought it showed huge progression in their relationship, it showed Sheldon and Amy's emotional intimacy increasing, basically what Sheldon meant was he like's Amy quirks and all, and Amy like's Sheldon for Sheldon too. Yeah it came across as arrogant and a lack of social awareness, but I thought regardless of that part of it, I think it was a big step for their relationship IMO.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

I don't think this line necessarily means he believes he is "normal" and she is the "weird one" as much as he thinks she is just as weird as him. Sort of in a "I'm a weirdo, and I recognize one when I see it". The fact that he tries to tell her what makes her come across as a weird, was kind of endearing, because he's trying to give advice on maybe something he has been told he's weird on tons of times, but obviously doesn't quite get it. The blind, leading the blind, if you will. And, frankly, Amy *is* considered a weirdo too (point in case, Penny and Bernadette's looks at each other after her comment during girls night). 

But the bottom line is, and maybe this is a problem with the show overall, that they always try to suck out the sentiment of of the room during scenes like that, so they will throw in punchlines to dissipate the feelings. It's no different from the Spiderman speech. The writers want to send the message across that Sheldon has feelings for her, but at the same time they don't want people to groan and get cavities, so they inject those lines. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing, and it is irritating at times. But I don't think that will have an impact on his character growth. We went from him being in denial about the fact that they were acting like a couple in S4 to him proudly showing off as her boyfriend in S7. That's a long way to come for Sheldon. He's getting there.

• Like 3

weakest episode of the season so far....after a couple of good episodes this was expected...

how much more clueless can sheldon be.....he sees amy smiling and enjoying with her collegues and still assumes that she is craving to with him....come on..he cannot be that clueless

howard bernie -- its just tedious to watch them fight..

...glad this episode seemed smaller than the rest..

penny's phone joke was nice.... funny twist...

• Like 2

weakest episode of the season so far....after a couple of good episodes this was expected...

how much more clueless can sheldon be.....he sees amy smiling and enjoying with her collegues and still assumes that she is craving to with him....come on..he cannot be that clueless

Sheldon did not actually think that she was craving to be with him. *He* was the one who was craving to be with her. It's the whole point of the moth and the flame joke: he thinks it's possible for a flame, a static object, to go to the moth, a living creature. He denies basic laws of nature in order to deny that he is the one craving her company. It's classic Sheldon 101: he will never admit that he longs for something directly, he will always find a convoluted way to make it sound like there are other reasons for doing and saying the things he does and say that would otherwise just clearly indicate he has feelings. He wanted to hang out with her, but didn't want to admit it, so he made it sound like he was doing her a favor to have an excuse to go over there. He has behaved like this about a whole bunch of things since the beginning of time, it's not about him being clueless about what she wants or does not want, it's about him refusing to admit he has feelings. Or you may call it denial, if you don't believe he's aware of his own emotions. 

• Like 6

Loved this episode so much.  How can you get so much cuteness in one single 20 minute period is beyond me.

Loved how adorable Shamy were at the start of the show and how Sheldon looked truly excited and happy that Amy would be working at Cal Tech.   She was her own buzz kill to him, then Howard's advice made a further buzz kill.  But even after all that he was still very happy she was working there, even if he went about it all wrong.

Love how much he couldn't stay away from her.   She was really the flame and he was the moth even though he assumed it to be the other way around.  But he was going to her always, not the reverse.    It was adorable.   Again, his cluelessness was the big issue, not his lack of desire. :firstmove:

Love how he said they hug even when it's hot...Shelly boy, I bet it gets real hot when you and Amy hug and you are enjoying every minute of it! ;)  He calls her his cute little lump of wool.  How adorably awkward of a sentiment, yet makes sense when you think of him.  He sees her as cute, little, everything wonderful lumped into one package and she always wears sweaters made of wool.   Can't get much cuter of a phrase from such a socially awkward kind of guy like him.  :girlinlove:

Love how Howard and Raj still hang out and are like they were from early seasons, yet at the same time you can tell Howard does love his wife.  He is also clueless and doesn't realize how he comes across, even with her explanation.   But you can tell they will work it out.

Love how Sheldon and the monkey both reacted the same to Amy's stimuli videos.   That was a hoot.   It also was fun watching her reaction to seeing him react the same as the monkey.  You could nearly hear the wheels turning and her saying to herself, "that explains a lot".  :laugh:

Love how Sheldon didn't complain about riding the bus.  This is a big step for him.   But an even bigger step was his not being able to sleep because he still could sense things were not right between he and Amy and wanted to fix them.   While his approach was wrong, his heart was right and Amy could tell that and see it.  His confession of his feelings was an enormous step for him.   And while he put his foot in his mouth and she shut the door in his face, there was still a sense that she understood him and realized his heart was saying a lot to her even if the words didn't match. :giveheart:

And there was something just so adorable about Leonard/Penny cuddling and sharing a blanket together watching TV.  So domestic and cute.   I also loved how they were in total agreement and stood up for Amy, neither even needing to hear Sheldon's side.  Although I do wonder if perhaps they had truly listened to him if they could not have guided him into seeing his own errors.  Maybe, maybe not with him.  

Overall it was just a very funny and adorable show all in one.   Loved it. :girlinlove:

Again ^^^^^^^^^^^^this. I agree with this above in 100% and again Melody wrote exactly like I thought... nothing more to add...Are you a mind reader  or something....? Thank you Melody... I can only add that such cute and adorable moments with Shamy in that episode...Love it  :giveheart:  :girlinlove:

• Like 1