The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.05 "the Workplace Proximity" (October 17)

Your Episode Rating  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

It doesn't necessarily need to be an actual apology. Penny got even with Leonard by involving Beverly. Bernie kicked Howard out of the house. There were actual consequences for them. Sheldon always thinks Amy is the problem. He sided with Amy in FWF more because of talking to Penny and liquor. As to apologizing to Amy that's true but he did that as a last resort because he wasn't going to win that argument not for being sorry for what he did.

So Penny "getting even" with Leonard is better than an apology?  When Sheldon was trying to "get even" with Amy, they talked about it like adults (even if Sheldon still felt compelled to poke her with that Garfield jibe.)

And with Howard and Bernie--so she kicks him out of the house and there's a "consequence", but does that solve the root problem?  Did they talk it through?  Bernie tried to, but in the end Howard still makes the wrong choice.

In the FWF/Wheaton episode, yeah, Sheldon tried to go stand up for his woman, but he did it in order to get an apology from Wheaton.  We actually don't know if Sheldon actually really apologized to Amy, but he must have said something to her in order for them to try the FWF installment again with Burton.  By then, Sheldon had learned that it was easier to go along with her, at least in that situation.  Whichever of them was more wrong/right in that situation (since Amy really was being unreasonable), he learned that keeping her happy was important.

But even if he thinks everyone else is the problem (not just Amy) whenever there is a conflict, in this case he did make an effort to set things right between them, by going out of his way to go and talk to her.  Even if he thinks she's the one who is hard to understand (she is, for him) and quirky (and she is quirky), he still declares firmly and clearly that he likes her anyway.

I don't know that he's ever really known how to apologize--Amy is the one who held his feet to the fire in Vacation Solution in order to make him stop making excuses for his behavior and give her a sincere apology.  But that one "I'm sorry" was a real apology and I daresay none of the other characters seems to have gotten him to do that.

• Like 3

So Penny "getting even" with Leonard is better than an apology?  When Sheldon was trying to "get even" with Amy, they talked about it like adults (even if Sheldon still felt compelled to poke her with that Garfield jibe.)

And with Howard and Bernie--so she kicks him out of the house and there's a "consequence", but does that solve the root problem?  Did they talk it through?  Bernie tried to, but in the end Howard still makes the wrong choice.

In the FWF/Wheaton episode, yeah, Sheldon tried to go stand up for his woman, but he did it in order to get an apology from Wheaton.  We actually don't know if Sheldon actually really apologized to Amy, but he must have said something to her in order for them to try the FWF installment again with Burton.  By then, Sheldon had learned that it was easier to go along with her, at least in that situation.  Whichever of them was more wrong/right in that situation (since Amy really was being unreasonable), he learned that keeping her happy was important.

But even if he thinks everyone else is the problem (not just Amy) whenever there is a conflict, in this case he did make an effort to set things right between them, by going out of his way to go and talk to her.  Even if he thinks she's the one who is hard to understand (she is, for him) and quirky (and she is quirky), he still declares firmly and clearly that he likes her anyway.

I don't know that he's ever really known how to apologize--Amy is the one who held his feet to the fire in Vacation Solution in order to make him stop making excuses for his behavior and give her a sincere apology.  But that one "I'm sorry" was a real apology and I daresay none of the other characters seems to have gotten him to do that.

Part of the problem is the case of L/P and H/B you never really know what happens. It's not shown on the "show". Could they have apologized? Leonard and Howard have apologized in the past so it's easier to believe IMO. I just think some sort of apology in this situation from Sheldon was probably warranted especially when he was also wrong last week.

My personal highlights:

- Shamy having dinner at the cheesecake factory
- the guys playing Mystic Warlords of Ka-ah (I think I want that game for myself xD)
- Amy and the monkey
- Shamy at Amys lab
- Sheldons knock at Pennys apartment
- Pennys smart phone lol.gif
- Penny & Leonard snuggeling on the couch love.gif
- Penny & Leonard telling Sheldon he´s wrong and Amy is right
- Sheldon trying to say sorry to Amy (but he has his pride)
- Sheldon telling Amy she is his girlfriend
- the tag at the end with the balloons (it was too short but it was fun)

Part of the problem is the case of L/P and H/B you never really know what happens. It's not shown on the "show". Could they have apologized? Leonard and Howard have apologized in the past so it's easier to believe IMO. I just think some sort of apology in this situation from Sheldon was probably warranted especially when he was also wrong last week.

One could make the same argument for Sheldon that you are making here about the other couples.  He could have apologized between this week and next week's show to Amy.  He could have figured a way all on his own to do that.  Also, you can't really compare him to the others because the others have far greater understanding of social protocol than Sheldon does.  He still is very naive when it comes to understanding proper social protocol and he has a real problem filtering things.  Others don't on the show.  So it isn't a fair comparison, but again the same argument could hold up for Sheldon between episodes.

One could make the same argument for Sheldon that you are making here about the other couples.  He could have apologized between this week and next week's show to Amy.  He could have figured a way all on his own to do that.  Also, you can't really compare him to the others because the others have far greater understanding of social protocol than Sheldon does.  He still is very naive when it comes to understanding proper social protocol and he has a real problem filtering things.  Others don't on the show.  So it isn't a fair comparison, but again the same argument could hold up for Sheldon between episodes

Sheldon could of I suppose. Leonard's scene ended with him talking with his mother. Howard's debating about going after Bernadette. To me Amy's closing the door in his face had a more of a finality compared to Leonard and Howard. In regards to proper social protocol and filtering things to me that's just a way of letting him off the hook when he does something wrong. He seems to understand it when it is convenient for him. An example was in 7.1 with Penny. She had told him a personal secret and he told her one. When she shrugged his off as nothing Sheldon got mad and told her the secret was personal to him. Penny then apologized because she knew she was wrong. Just because he won't follow proper social protocol doesn't mean he can't.

• Like 1

Sheldon could of I suppose. Leonard's scene ended with him talking with his mother. Howard's debating about going after Bernadette. To me Amy's closing the door in his face had a more of a finality compared to Leonard and Howard. In regards to proper social protocol and filtering things to me that's just a way of letting him off the hook when he does something wrong. He seems to understand it when it is convenient for him. An example was in 7.1 with Penny. She had told him a personal secret and he told her one. When she shrugged his off as nothing Sheldon got mad and told her the secret was personal to him. Penny then apologized because she knew she was wrong. Just because he won't follow proper social protocol doesn't mean he can't.

How is that following proper social protocol?  He was being honest with her about how her reaction made him feel.  But it's not about admiting any fault of his own.

He did the same thing with Amy in going to talk to her--he was being honest about the fact that he considered them a couple and that he liked her and that their spat was keeping him from sleeping.

He told her honestly that he liked her in spite of her quirks.

That he was thinking of her as being the weird one (because he hadn't been able to figure out what had made her mad) was simply his perspective, since he thinks of himself as being right, at least in this situation, in relation to who is the weird one.

I Think people expect too much from Sheldon he is a work in progress, not that this excuses his continual emotional abuse of Amy, but the reason why Amy is so impatient with him, kinda funny if this was Penny she would of taken Sheldon for a drive, Hey guess what Sheldon this is your new home *Throws him out of the car* lol, kinda put's that into perspective lol I mean Penny woulden't put up with Sheldon's crap, let alone be in a three year relationship and still get treated poorly. But Amy understand's Sheldon more then anyone, she know's he has made ton's of progress but his pride keep's getting away of true progress, but come on compared to Season One Sheldon, and the Sheldon Leonard first met, when he was telling Penny the story about how they first met, his social awareness has developed substantially, look at his seating pattern, it used to exist you could argue to diminish and limit social interaction, so he can immerse himself in all the entertainment the tv has too offer haha I think Sheldon said something along those lines. Where as now thanks to Leonard's influence it is now so he can socially interact with all his friend's, so yes Amy deserves more from Sheldon, and yes it can be argued Sheldon had degressed a bit, but if you look closer from Sheldon's perspective without diminishing his pride, he was making it clear to Amy that he like's her for her, I thought that was nice albiet typical Sheldon patronisation. So I can see people getting tired of Sheldon not picking up on Amy being upset, and needing Leonard or Penny or someone else to point it out for him, but the point is Sheldon may be a genius, but emotionally he has a very low IQ, he is very emotionally stunted, he well get their right now, but right now he is almost a big baby, with an emotionally stunted growth, almost an adolescent growth spurt. His Social and Emotional Intelligence have grown a lot from Season One, but he still has a while to go, and from a writer's POV, they know oblivious Sheldon has worked before in terms of comedy, so TBBT writer's tend to take the sting out of sentimental moment's to find the comedy, hence Amy slamming the door in Sheldon's face. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

This is my favourite episode so far on s7 and definitely one of my favourite Shamy episodes!!

It was surprising to see Sheldon become so excited that he was going to spend so much time with his girlfriend at work (although he thought they were going to deduct the extra time at work from their weekly quota!!haha!!)..But the important thing is that he was willing to let go of his routine just to do something different with her. What I liked about Sheldon in this episode was that he showed how much he wanted to be with her and have her around but he remained in character. It so typical for Sheldon to try and get what he wants and pretend that he is doing someone else a favour. Just like in the s07e01 that he kept saying that he didn't miss Leonard but he didn't mind if Penny called him because she missed him terribly. It is the same thing!! The comment about Sheldon being the moth and Amy being the fire was spot on!!! She is his cute lump of wool!!!!!! That's a hell of a compliment!! He says that she is his and he thinks she is cute!! And frankly she is wearing a ridicoulously large ammount of layers. :p I loved the scene on the cafeteria. He thought that the boys table was the cool table because he was there of course. But he just couldn't stand it seeing Amy interact so well with her co-workers and having a nice time when he wasn't around. I think what he really meant in the end was that they both are weird. Of course he would never admit that because he is the one making the boy's table so cool but maybe Sheldon just missed the qurkiness on their relationship, just like we did.

Best scene for me Amy working with monkeys!! It is so nice that they actually gave a little time for us to see Amy working and if it includes monkeys I couldn't have asked for more!! At the end of the day she a scientist and it is nice to actually see her working. Sheldon having the same reactions with the monkey was just hilarious!! The way they held their toungues out at the last foto was priceless. I liked the way Amy caught so quikly on that and I think she was both a little confused and amazed!! I'm not the first one to say that but we all know now why Amy is so fond of Sheldon!! He did get the body language and the irritation on her voice so he pretty much nailed the whole recognize-the-feeling thing (remember on the Isolation Permutation when she was crying her eyes out and she was singing Everybody Hurts and he was so proud of himself that he corretly identified the feeling as being sad).

On the Howard and Bernie front I can she Howard's point. Personaly I agree with him I think it can be a little boring to see the same person 24/7. But I assume that when one is married it can be a little insulting for their significant other to discover that their partner can get bored of them. And I think that a guy wouldn't normaly want their girlfriend working with them-just like Howard said- (although I'm not sure) but Sheldon is just a big weirdo and he so wanted her there!!

So,Bernie was right to be upset but just because she tried to make up with him and he was a jerk.

I loved the Lenny on the couch watcing a movie!!! It was really funny the way they made it clear that whatever happened Amy was right. They gave him the push he needed!!

So, he took the bus home and probably to get to her house too and he didn't mind, he bragged about him and Amy being fine (and as he said I mean really good), he tried to spend as much time with her possible (is it just me or he wanted a romantic car ride where the buses park at night but was too afraid to ask it - and I'm not biting it that Leonard worked late :p ) , he couldn't sleep unless they resolved their issue, he refered to them as being a couple and he told her that he likes her just the way she is!! And all of that without an unbelievable change of character. Well, I am more than satisfied!!

P.S. Amy saying that she plans to put his love of repetiton in good use in the future was just so Amy and so funny!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Cecilia

I can understand where Howard is coming from, it's just his work should be seperate from his marrage and home life with Bernadette, it's not that he doesen't like spending time with her, it's just that it is probably something he look's forward too, something special where as if Bernadette became apart of his life at the university too it would become a chore just like his job, and that woulden't be good for their marrage. And Sheldon telling Amy he like's her for her, the writer's coulden't of changed Sheldon's overall character that much without giving away Sheldon is into Amy, so he had to come across arrogant, he's getting their.

First of all I must state: I never ever give Sheldon free passes, I was more than willing to throw his jerky-ass through a window for his behaviour during the last episodes of past season (minus love spell), but this time, people, he was trying. Failing monumentally, yes, but trying. He wanted to be a good boyfriend, he was doing things wrong because.... well, because he is Sheldon. It's not that he was being just clueless or uninterested, he was following bad pieces of advice and twisting things accordingly to his egotistical nature, but he was not doing things out of malice or just out of mere jackassery, as it came across a couple times last season.

I don't think I'm shipper-twisting things that much in this list (at least, I hope ;):

1. He was obviously thinking in what was in it for him at the scenario of the two of them working in the same place (having someone else to dirve him home and so) but he had no problem having her around, in fact, he even looked happy.

2. Howard told him the two of them working together would be bad for their relationship, that's the reason he gave him right?, so he acted because he doesn't want that. When he tells him at the end: "If it makes you feel better, Amy and I are good", that's it, he was trying to do what he thought and was advised was "the best" for their relationship, and that very line seems to evidence it.

3. When Leonard implies Amy is not that happy as Sheldon thinks, he decides to act accordingly. He feels sorry for his "little moth" and decides to grace her and her colleagues with his presence. He thinks he only has to show up to make her life brighter, he is THAT ridiculous and so full of himself, but, if we look deeper into it, he just wanted to make her happy, same with him thinking she will do cartwheels at the mere idea of driving him home. Stupid and selfish, right, but, according to him, delightful.

4. She turns her back to him, he has to ride the bus home. Gets lost in a totally unknown zone of the city for him, at night, surrounded by strangers, and what's in his mind during that stressful time? He is still worried his girlfriend is angry with him and he is not sure why, and even talks with an stranger about it. Now, that's.....interesting.

5. After "mom" and "dad" tell him he for sure is the one in the wrong, he can't sleep because he doesn't like them to be in bad terms.....and because he had already had a nap at the bus, yes, but if he was insomniac, there was a thousand things he could do instead of chasing her, organizing his socks' drawer again is the first fun activity that comes to mind ;) , but no, he jumped into another bus in the middle of night to go and tell his girlfriend he likes her just the way she is.

Bottom line is, he wants to be with her and he is really trying to do things in order to do so. 

So, am I saying he is all right and I love him more than ever, and "please Shelly, never change"?, of course not!

I know for some of you people his selfishness and cluelesness is unnerving and is getting tiring, I agree to an extent, but, at least this time it's believable and true to the personality and quirks of a man who had been emotionally stunted for most of his life and finds it very difficult to stop overnight seeing himself as the center of the world, it effectively comes across as lack of understanding of social and personal relationships instead of plainly mean spiritedness, and that is what is really important in my opinion.

Edited by sarah7
  • Like 9

4. She turns her back to him, he has to ride the bus home. Gets lost in a totally unknown zone of the city for him, at night, surrounded by strangers, and what's in his mind during that stressful time? He is still worried his girlfriend is angry with him and he is not sure why, and even talks with an stranger about it. Now, that's.....interesting.

5. After "mom" and "dad" tell him he for sure is the one in the wrong, he can't sleep because he doesn't like them to be in bad terms.....and because he had already had a nap at the bus, yes, but if he was insomniac, there was a thousand times he could do instead of chasing her, organizing his socks' drawer again is the first fun activity that comes to mind ;) , but no, he jumped into another bus in the middle of night to go and tell his girlfriend he likes her just the way she is.

Bottom line is, he wants to be with her and he is really trying to do things in order to do so. 

So, am I saying he is all right and I love him more than ever, and "please Shelly, never change"?, of course not!

I know for some of you people his selfishness and cluelesness is unnerving and is getting tiring, I agree to an extent, but, at least this time it's believable and true to the personality and quirks of a man who had been emotionally stunted for most of his life and finds it very difficult to stop overnight seeing himself as the center of the world, it effectively comes across as lack of understanding of social and personal relationships instead of plainly mean spiritedness, and that is what is really important in my opinion.

I'm glad you pointed that out. Not only was he lost in a strange place but he was still thinking of her and their relationship. That's a nice image.

Edited by dessertisserved
  • Like 1

I'm glad you pointed that out. Not only was he lost in a strange place but he was still thinking of her and their relationship. That's a nice image.

I know, right? :)

Something else I don't think could be argued: he was so happy and even sounded proud of his situation as a boyfriend! (and one that is involved in a Physical relationship, nonetheless!)

It was refreshing to see him talking so enthusiastically about their relationship as he was with her colleagues, after so much nagging and supposed aversion to romantic involvements.

Perhaps the writers' biggest mistep in this endeavour was to paint Amy as so "normal", when we all know she is not!, miss-TMI-and-unnapropriate-sexual-innuendos being embarrased by the mere mention of hugs and hand-holding? come on!

I don't think it was the right path to follow.

If they really wanted to show Sheldon as an over-enthusiast boyfriend (something I'm totally ok with), it's fine, but I think it would had been more clever to make him screw things up by belittling their field of study. I know it has been done before, but it would had been a more believable situation, knowing Amy's background.

I mean, they could had kept his bf-gf showing-off and making Amy agree with it, even to get a bit happy, making her forget for a minute his bad behaviour the night befoe, just to make him screw things up again by mentioning the uselessness of their study (they were going to make him say again her experiment was pointless afterwards anyway).

Edited by sarah7
  • Like 2

I know, right? :)

Something else I don't think could be argued: he was so happy and even sounded proud of his situation as a boyfriend! (and one that is involved in a Physical relationship, nonetheless!)

It was refreshing to see him talking so enthusiastically about their relationship as he was with her colleagues, after so much nagging and supposed aversion to romantic involvements.

Perhaps the writers' biggest mistep in this endeavour was to paint Amy as so "normal", when we all know she is not!, miss-TMI-and-unnapropriate-sexual-innuendos being embarrased by the mere mention of hugs and hand-holding? come on!

If they really wanted to show Sheldon as an over-enthusiast boyfriend (something I'm totally ok with), it's fine, but I think it would had been more clever to make him screw things up by belittling their field of study. I know it has been done before, but it would had been a more believable situation, knowing Amy's background.

I mean, they could had kept his bf-gf showing-off and making Amy agree with it, even to get a bit happy, making her forget for a minute his bad behaviour the night befoe, just to make him screw things up again by mentioning the uselessness of their study (they were going to make him say again her experiment was pointless afterwards anyway).

I think in this occasion Amy had to be the 'normal' one, Sheldon embarassed her on her first day at Cal-Tech, and to be honest Amy has grown out of sexual innuendos she used to project on Penny and her friend's in S4, she diddn't know how to socially interact because she diddn't have those experiences growing up. Where as their relationship as evolved a lot since then, I liked the fact Amy was shown the normal one in their relationship, she was trying to make a good first impression and Sheldon talking about their physical intimacy obviousley gotten in the way of that, so I had no problem with how the writer's delt with that situation JMO.

• Like 1

I would say a lot but will keep it to one highlight for me.  Sheldon and the monkey having the same reaction at the same time!!   :laugh:

I think in this occasion Amy had to be the 'normal' one, Sheldon embarassed her on her first day at Cal-Tech, and to be honest Amy has grown out of sexual innuendos she used to project on Penny and her friend's in S4, she diddn't know how to socially interact because she diddn't have those experiences growing up. Where as their relationship as evolved a lot since then, I liked the fact Amy was shown the normal one in their relationship, she was trying to make a good first impression and Sheldon talking about their physical intimacy obviousley gotten in the way of that, so I had no problem with how the writer's delt with that situation JMO.

Hummm, yeah, I know and understand Amy has evolved, and I also know that when she puts on her labcoat, she is a totally different persona, she is able to put her work even above her love for Sheldon, and that may very well be the reason she was not happy at all with him speaking about personal matters in fron of her colleagues.

Yet, we are talking about the same woman that not so long ago wasn't shy about showing-off a bikini wax and was willing to participate in a silly plan to steal a parking lot.

Still, I think the main problems in the Shamy world and characterization arise when they unbalance too much their characters. when Amy is too horny and him too cold, when she is too nice and patient and him too harsh, when she suddenly behaves so very well put on and centered, makes him look even more chidish than usual. It may be just me, but of all the couples I think they work better when they are in the same wavelenght.

Besides, as a first and foremost Amy-lover, I find quirky!Amy and crazy!Amy a thousand times funnier than toonormal!Amy.

She is brilliant when she is doing and saying weird stuff. I can't get tired of that.

• Like 2

One thing I wasn't particularly keen on, but I understand it needed to serve the purpose of the episode, was that Amy was way too "normal" for my liking and I do think Mayim's acting in the scene at her door at night wasn't her best acting. It seemed a bit forced. But I do understand the take home message about the episode was Sheldon's behavior and declaration, rather than hers. It was huge. I also think the irony in that door scene is that Amy *is* considered a weirdo by many people, probably even her own friends at times (cue that look Penny and Bernadette exchanged earlier at girls nights when she told them about the love of repetitons, lol). Sheldon isn't all that far off. ;)

Amy is always too normal when she's taking to Sheldon. She loses all her quirkiness and turns into Leonard. She has the same look on her face, that he always has when he's taking to Sheldon. He may as well be dating Leonard :p

Amy is always too normal when she's taking to Sheldon. She loses all her quirkiness and turns into Leonard. She has the same look on her face, that he always has when he's taking to Sheldon. He may as well be dating Leonard :p

Fascinating.

DIfference is Leonard would kill Sheldon in 3 mins let alone 3 years lol, besides I dont excactly think Amy Is normal opposed to Sheldon, when it comes to how they approach the intimacy in their relationship Amy has to compromise and be the normal one, but in every thing else they have so much in common, Amy really is the only one who understands Sheldon or has the patience too anyway haha.

Edited by 3ku11

DIfference is Leonard would kill Sheldon in 3 mins let alone 3 years lol, besides I dont excactly think Amy Is normal opposed to Sheldon, when it comes to how they approach the intimacy in their relationship Amy has to compromise and be the normal one, but in every thing else they have so much in common, Amy really is the only one who understands Sheldon or has the patience too anyway haha.

You do know Leonard has lived with Sheldon for seven years right?

Of course Amy was normal in this episode. She's just a piece of putty. They mold her for whatever they need for a scene. They make her clueless when she's with the normal characters and normal with the clueless ones (ie Sheldon).

• Like 2

Not sure I agree with that maybe S4 but not so much now, maybe with Sheldon. And yes I know L & S have lived together for seven years, but I was refering to the fact if Leonard was in Amy's posistion or anyone for that matter, they probably wouldent be as tolerant and patient as Amy has been. And I don't think they mould her for specific scenes, with the normal characters (not sure on that though it depends how you define normal), she's pretty much although still maintaining her quirkiness and indifference at times to Penny and Bernadette, but she has pretty much normalized her self with them when it comes to their hangouts. I woulden't say she is normal with Sheldon, I would phrase it as herself around Sheldon, prob feels the social pressures from better socially functioning ppl ala Penny, Bernadette, Leonard e.t.c With Sheldon though he's just as socially awkward and prob even more, so Amy and Sheldon understand each other. I was more refering to Amy's role in their relationship some times she needs to make sacrifices and compromise in their relationship, hence why she is normal with Sheldon in this episode, it says more about Sheldon then Amy.

I didn't mind that Amy was a bit normal. I like Amy most of all you know quirks and all <3 but it is refreshing having her act in a more normal way before she does or says something weird again.

On the cafeteria I think the main reason she was embarassed is because Sheldon was rude to her collegue from Sweden. He even made a joke out of his name. And as for the physical relationship and the hugs even on hot days. Come on it is a little embarassing having your boyfriend say that a physical relationship involves just hugs!! He was like her 8-year old nephew who was talking for that girl from school he likes. Plus Amy is a professional and when it comes to work she can be as normal as she wants that is fine by me (although she wasn't all that normal when she was recording the monkey's reactions. haha!! I mean the words she used when the monkey got scared -I don't remember them but I don't think one describes like that an experiment).

And I loved the way she apologized when Sheldon got scared with that crocodile photo!!

Gosh Sarah, if I could marry your posts, I would.

THIS is such an overlooked part of the episode and says so much about Sheldon's priorities these days. The whole episode, essentially, is Sheldon trying to figure out how to be a good boyfriend in the workplace and why Amy is mad at him and ASKING advice about it, left right and center. The part about talking to a random Sri Lankan man about his relationship issues and the whole "A tiger might have walked across her shadow" thing was hilarious and oh, so endearing. I can just picture him randomly walking the streets of Little Sri Lanka, being sold mutton and coconut milk, and all the while going "Listen, my girlfriend seems mad at me, do you know why?". He is really grasping at straws to figure out what he heck is going on in that big bulbous brain of hers, even resorting to witchcraft explanations. He screws up because he always either takes bad advice or overdoes it (like in the case of the cafeteria, after Leonard tells him Amy isn't good as Sheldon think she is).

I agree and disagree. See, the thing that bugs me about his belittling of Neuroscience (besides the fact that I am TOTALLY biased here, of course :p ) is that back in the day he used to read Neuroscience papers himself and be very proud of the fact that she was a Neuroscientist ("A noted Neurobiologist..." or talking to his mom about her work). They suddenly made him condescending of her field of study kind of out of the blue really, after they started dating. I know it creates humor, and maybe he became soured to it after Vacation Solution, but I find it really random, especially considering how highly he always spoke of Amy's intellect. It's one of those continuity things that kind of drive me up the wall.

Also, the thing is that just because Amy is all TMI in private, it doesn't mean she is so at work. I do believe there might be some truth in her having two separate personas, because it was established ever since the early days of Amy that she is very well versed and accomplished at work, with fundraising and what not. She gets invited to weddings by colleagues in early S5 and so on. So I don't think that even that Amy would have been excited about her boyfriend trying to give cavities to her colleagues and giving them a run-down of her relationship with him. She steals the parking lot with Sheldon but that's not at her workplace and it's a different thing than having to make an impression on new colleagues on the first day at work.

In the sides for the episode, they had Sheldon mention "handholding, hugging and once I even had to give her a good spanking") instead of the hugs on hot days. I'm ambivalent about which one I prefer. I think the spanking would have made her reaction a lot more understandable, to be honest. At the same time, the emphasis on the hugs on hot days is a lot more telling of the progress of their relationship over the last few months. So I don't know. Maybe they could have tried to squeeze both in. 

Hummm, yeah, I know and understand Amy has evolved, and I also know that when she puts on her labcoat, she is a totally different persona, she is able to put her work even above her love for Sheldon, and that may very well be the reason she was not happy at all with him speaking about personal matters in fron of her colleagues.

Yet, we are talking about the same woman that not so long ago wasn't shy about showing-off a bikini wax and was willing to participate in a silly plan to steal a parking lot.

Still, I think the main problems in the Shamy world and characterization arise when they unbalance too much their characters. when Amy is too horny and him too cold, when she is too nice and patient and him too harsh, when she suddenly behaves so very well put on and centered, makes him look even more chidish than usual. It may be just me, but of all the couples I think they work better when they are in the same wavelenght.

Besides, as a first and foremost Amy-lover, I find quirky!Amy and crazy!Amy a thousand times funnier than toonormal!Amy.

She is brilliant when she is doing and saying weird stuff. I can't get tired of that.

ITA, especially with the bold part, I think that's why all couples work better most of the time when they're the "background couple of the week". Bernie and Howard were great last week, Leonard and Penny were great this week, Sheldon and Amy were great in 7x02, they were back to S4 levels of connection. However, you do need episodes centered around conflict every once in a while to move things forward more significantly. I think we just need to keep in mind that the conflict is amped up for comedy and that when the dust settles, it's the important details that remain.

Edited by koops
  • Like 6

Was it just me, or did Penny's voice seem raspier than usual?  Almost like Kaley was sick or something.

I noticed it, too! But you probably already knew that =D

• Like 1

THIS is such an overlooked part of the episode and says so much about Sheldon's priorities these days. The whole episode, essentially, is Sheldon trying to figure out how to be a good boyfriend in the workplace and why Amy is mad at him and ASKING advice about it, left right and center. The part about talking to a random Sri Lankan man about his relationship issues and the whole "A tiger might have walked across her shadow" thing was hilarious and oh, so endearing. I can just picture him randomly walking the streets of Little Sri Lanka, being sold mutton and coconut milk, and all the while going "Listen, my girlfriend seems mad at me, do you know why?". He is really grasping at straws to figure out what he heck is going on in that big bulbous brain of hers, even resorting to witchcraft explanations. He screws up because he always either takes bad advice or overdoes it (like in the case of the cafeteria, after Leonard tells him Amy isn't good as Sheldon think she is).

I agree and disagree. See, the thing that bugs me about his belittling of Neuroscience (besides the fact that I am TOTALLY biased here, of course :p ) is that back in the day he used to read Neuroscience papers himself and be very proud of the fact that she was a Neuroscientist ("A noted Neurobiologist..." or talking to his mom about her work). They suddenly made him condescending of her field of study kind of out of the blue really, after they started dating. I know it creates humor, and maybe he became soured to it after Vacation Solution, but I find it really random, especially considering how highly he always spoke of Amy's intellect. It's one of those continuity things that kind of drive me up the wall.

Also, the thing is that just because Amy is all TMI in private, it doesn't mean she is so at work. I do believe there might be some truth in her having two separate personas, because it was established ever since the early days of Amy that she is very well versed and accomplished at work, with fundraising and what not. She gets invited to weddings by colleagues in early S5 and so on. So I don't think that even that Amy would have been excited about her boyfriend trying to give cavities to her colleagues and giving them a run-down of her relationship with him. She steals the parking lot with Sheldon but that's not at her workplace and it's a different thing than having to make an impression on new colleagues on the first day at work.

In the sides for the episode, they had Sheldon mention "handholding, hugging and once I even had to give her a good spanking") instead of the hugs on hot days. I'm ambivalent about which one I prefer. I think the spanking would have made her reaction a lot more understandable, to be honest. At the same time, the emphasis on the hugs on hot days is a lot more telling of the progress of their relationship over the last few months. So I don't know. Maybe they could have tried to squeeze both in. 

ITA, especially with the bold part, I think that's why all couples work better most of the time when they're the "background couple of the week". Bernie and Howard were great last week, Leonard and Penny were great this week, Sheldon and Amy were great in 7x02, they were back to S4 levels of connection. However, you do need episodes centered around conflict every once in a while to move things forward more significantly. I think we just need to keep in mind that the conflict is amped up for comedy and that when the dust settles, it's the important details that remain.

Totally agree with Koops on this!  No big surprise.  :girlwink:

Holly and AM, yes Kaley's voice was raspier and even Johnny had a few raspy moments, as did Mayim. I think all of them were not feeling that well. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.   It was after a long weekend of partying a lot for the Emmy's and the Emmy's themselves.   It probably took a toll on their health and they were all pretty worn out.

• Like 2

I really like Amy being more assertive with Sheldon though.  She doesn't role over as much anymore, she gets mad at him and lets him know it.  I think Amy is going to have to force Sheldon along, because, based on how the show has them, Sheldon takes a step forward then regresses, so Amy is going to have to push him or at least hold him in place.  I think the Amy character has developed and is getting to the point where she can do that.  I also really think she is suppose to be smarter than him and I wouldn't be surprised if in a future episode we find out her IQ is 190.

People keep thinking that Shamy is at the point where they are going to have more conflict and I agree a little.  Amy pushing Sheldon will lead to conflict, but it will be good conflict, since he will become more of a boyfriend along the way.  Anyway this is all IMO.

• Like 1