The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.05 "the Workplace Proximity" (October 17)

Your Episode Rating  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I really like Amy being more assertive with Sheldon though.  She doesn't role over as much anymore, she gets mad at him and lets him know it.  I think Amy is going to have to force Sheldon along, because, based on how the show has them, Sheldon takes a step forward then regresses, so Amy is going to have to push him or at least hold him in place.  I think the Amy character has developed and is getting to the point where she can do that.  I also really think she is suppose to be smarter than him and I wouldn't be surprised if in a future episode we find out her IQ is 190.

People keep thinking that Shamy is at the point where they are going to have more conflict and I agree a little.  Amy pushing Sheldon will lead to conflict, but it will be good conflict, since he will become more of a boyfriend along the way.  Anyway this is all IMO.

Oh, I agree, I love how more assertive Amy has been this season. And I love that she didn't even get that angry at first when Sheldon took Howard's advice but simply said "Before all things, I'm a scientist". She was turning way too much into a doormat at the end of last season, this balance they've struck with her right now is perfect. And I think, with this level of assertiveness, she actually won't need to push much per-se, because, like we saw tonight, if she's being assertive, he goes and chases after her. If she's being a doormat, he sits on his laurels and then she needs to really push. And pushing is an unpleasant dynamic. 

• Like 3

SRAM I think she can do it without a lot of conflict. Just like she can get a monkey addicted to nicotine.

I do think the scene where Sheldon and the monkey had exactly the same reaction to the images they were shown is more than just a joke.

Edited by djsurrey

SRAM I think she can do it without a lot of conflict. Just like she can get a monkey addicted to nicotine.

I do think the scene where Sheldon and the monkey had exactly the same reaction to the images they were shown is more than just a joke.

I thought that too, but then I remember the episode where she was making him like her more, by doing things he liked, spaghetti with hotdogs, playing Star Trek doctor, etc., but the writers dropped that, even though it seemed to be working.  So based on that, I think the monkey thing was a one time joke.

I thought that too, but then I remember the episode where she was making him like her more, by doing things he liked, spaghetti with hotdogs, playing Star Trek doctor, etc., but the writers dropped that, even though it seemed to be working.  So based on that, I think the monkey thing was a one time joke.

If anything this episode shows it did work. :good:  The writers don't need to hit everyone over the head with it. I'm guessing we will see some more behavior modification when they are ready to step Sheldon/Amy up another notch. As I see it this is a twist on Sheldon attempting to modify Penny's behavior but Amy is much better at it.

Edited by djsurrey

If anything this episode shows it did work. :good:  The writers don't need to hit everyone over the head with it. I'm guessing we will see some more behavior modification when they are ready to step Sheldon/Amy up another notch. As I see it this is a twist on Sheldon attempting to modify Penny's behavior but Amy is much better at it.

Ha, Ha.  Are you saying we are now seeing evil scientist Amy using her superpowers to make her boyfriend better.  I like that.

• Like 1

Seems to me there is a cliché about women attempting to improve their men. Amy is using science not evil power to do what she thinks needs to be done.

She does not intend to harm Sheldon; just make him better. No one likes to be manipulated but since Sheldon tried to "make a better Penny" and he experimented with putting insects into Leonard's food it does somehow seem to be fitting that he would get manipulated by Amy (who has a PhD in Neroscience and who routinely experiments on primates).

Sheldon of course thought it was never going to work.

Edited by djsurrey

To me this was the second best of the season after the Raiders of the Lost Ark one.    Especially how Sheldon's loose comments cause trouble between Bernadette and Howard.  Echoes when he wrecked Howard's security clearance and got all three of the others in trouble with Human Resources.

• Like 1

Gosh Sarah, if I could marry your posts, I would.

THIS is such an overlooked part of the episode and says so much about Sheldon's priorities these days. The whole episode, essentially, is Sheldon trying to figure out how to be a good boyfriend in the workplace and why Amy is mad at him and ASKING advice about it, left right and center. The part about talking to a random Sri Lankan man about his relationship issues and the whole "A tiger might have walked across her shadow" thing was hilarious and oh, so endearing. I can just picture him randomly walking the streets of Little Sri Lanka, being sold mutton and coconut milk, and all the while going "Listen, my girlfriend seems mad at me, do you know why?". He is really grasping at straws to figure out what he heck is going on in that big bulbous brain of hers, even resorting to witchcraft explanations. He screws up because he always either takes bad advice or overdoes it (like in the case of the cafeteria, after Leonard tells him Amy isn't good as Sheldon think she is).

I agree and disagree. See, the thing that bugs me about his belittling of Neuroscience (besides the fact that I am TOTALLY biased here, of course :p ) is that back in the day he used to read Neuroscience papers himself and be very proud of the fact that she was a Neuroscientist ("A noted Neurobiologist..." or talking to his mom about her work). They suddenly made him condescending of her field of study kind of out of the blue really, after they started dating. I know it creates humor, and maybe he became soured to it after Vacation Solution, but I find it really random, especially considering how highly he always spoke of Amy's intellect. It's one of those continuity things that kind of drive me up the wall.

Also, the thing is that just because Amy is all TMI in private, it doesn't mean she is so at work. I do believe there might be some truth in her having two separate personas, because it was established ever since the early days of Amy that she is very well versed and accomplished at work, with fundraising and what not. She gets invited to weddings by colleagues in early S5 and so on. So I don't think that even that Amy would have been excited about her boyfriend trying to give cavities to her colleagues and giving them a run-down of her relationship with him. She steals the parking lot with Sheldon but that's not at her workplace and it's a different thing than having to make an impression on new colleagues on the first day at work.

In the sides for the episode, they had Sheldon mention "handholding, hugging and once I even had to give her a good spanking") instead of the hugs on hot days. I'm ambivalent about which one I prefer. I think the spanking would have made her reaction a lot more understandable, to be honest. At the same time, the emphasis on the hugs on hot days is a lot more telling of the progress of their relationship over the last few months. So I don't know. Maybe they could have tried to squeeze both in. 

ITA, especially with the bold part, I think that's why all couples work better most of the time when they're the "background couple of the week". Bernie and Howard were great last week, Leonard and Penny were great this week, Sheldon and Amy were great in 7x02, they were back to S4 levels of connection. However, you do need episodes centered around conflict every once in a while to move things forward more significantly. I think we just need to keep in mind that the conflict is amped up for comedy and that when the dust settles, it's the important details that remain.

@Sarah7 you are my new favorite poster because I can just say ditto.

I also worry about having a "too normal Amy" but I've always loved that she is all business at work.  Still I thought they went a tad to "typical" reaction in this episode. 

@koops ITA that if they would have kept the spanking comment it would've have been perfect TMI for her reaction but I'm greedy and I don't want to give up the "hugs and hot days" comment either. That comment was gold.  I also get peeved about the put downs of Neuroscience because it doesn't fit Sheldon's history and his respect of Queen Bev either.

:girlsmile: Now if someone will just write that fanfic of Sheldon in Little Sri Lanka.

I have a question for the people who went to the actual taping. At the end they showed a green 'laser' beam coming from the handheld 'laser'. Was that what happened at the taping or was that a SFX added in editing?

I have a question for the people who went to the actual taping. At the end they showed a green 'laser' beam coming from the handheld 'laser'. Was that what happened at the taping or was that a SFX added in editing?

I'd have to assume that it was VFX added in post-production, like the hologram and the maglev iron ball in "The Holographic Excitation," because I really kinda doubt they're going to allow laser beams to fly around the set. :)

Edited by MJPollard

I'd have to assume that it was VFX added in post-production, like the hologram and the maglev iron ball in "The Holographic Excitation," because I really kinda doubt they're going to allow laser beams to fly around the set. :)

That would be cool if they had laser beams flying around on set ;)

Seems to me there is a cliché about women attempting to improve their men. Amy is using science not evil power to do what she thinks needs to be done.

She does not intend to harm Sheldon; just make him better. No one likes to be manipulated but since Sheldon tried to "make a better Penny" and he experimented with putting insects into Leonard's food it does somehow seem to be fitting that he would get manipulated by Amy (who has a PhD in Neroscience and who routinely experiments on primates).

Sheldon of course thought it was never going to work.

Although I do agree that in society there seems to be a prevalent view about women having to improve their men (which I find extremely sexist and insulting), I do not think that the monkey scene was meant to, in any way, be a metaphor for women trying to improve their men. It was just meant to be a joke on Sheldon, for all his intellect and all, reacting to photos like a monkey. 

I would also like to point out, because I see this very often around here, that Neuroscience does not equal Psychotherapy or Psychiatry. Neuroscientists do not get trained to manipulate people and improve them or humanize them (let alone somehow be some kind of sex encyclopedia, like I often seem to see suggested, especially in fanfic). The most complex level of "manipulation" you get to do is conditioning, to see how that affects the brain, or to see where it is reflected in the brain. So while stuff like Amy unconditioning him from his need for closure or conditioning him to associate happy memories with her is sort of realistic, that's where it ends at. And, furthermore and more importantly, she has ALWAYS explained to him in advance what she was going to do and how it was going to affect him. It was never devious or deceptive or manipulative. Amy is not that kind of person, the only time she tried to be deceptive (in Fish Guts) she got caught red-handed and confronted about it. But that was more about prolonging enjoyment from something he was willingly doing anyway, rather than tricking him into doing stuff he didn't want to.

@eirwin: I really really really want to shoot balloons with lasers now! LOL.

Edited by koops
  • Like 3

This episode really was tedious at its best....worst episode in a long long time....

sheldon does'nt understand anyone....the whole joke of his plot....

amy's social understanding depends on the scene she is with...one second she understands everything thing...the next she is completely unaware...

and after everything happened sheldon does not learn a single thing......

^You've already said you diddn't like the ep a few posts back, your repeating your self. And thinking its the worst ep in a long time which logically and chronologically dosen't make sense, seeing bbt has only been back five weeks, but anyway is an opinion and a personal preferance, just like if I was too say it is the best ep ever is a personal preferance and an opinion.

Just saying it is a bit extreme and short-sighted to say worst episode in a long time, when a long time waa last week haha. Of course Sheldon doesen't understand anyone when it comes to social and emotional intilligence, he has always been emotionally stunted due to everyone he did as a kid being a scientific endevour, it's his character, but come on compared to S1 he has made tremendous growth in his social awareness, and I dont agree he diddnt learn a single think.

They dont have to learn everything every ep, most of what happened with the monkey, Sheldon misunderstanding was for comedy, Sheldon being oblivious has worked in the past so its not like the writers are going to give it up. You could as easily say Sheldon diddnt learn anything, then as to say Lenny should be in trouble now after raiders, but in this ep they were all couply on the couch. Some times the plot device in the eps dont have anything to do with the detail, but are their just to get the comedy out of it. Amy's social understanding does not depend on the scene, at Cal-Tech her social understanding and function of the situation was to act normal, to contrast Sheldon's perceived embarrasment of her, talking about their way's of phyiscal intimacy when she was trying to make a good first impression.

Sheldon still lacks continuity when it comes to his social awareness, because of his pride but the fact he acknowledged Amy as his gf is a big step. With Penny and Bernadette Amy is quirky and different because of the experiences she has growing up, so she is trying to socially fit in, where as with Sheldon she is not normal, she can be herself around Sheldon.

The reason why she is so patient is Sheldon is alot like her so she knows how hard it is for him to progress, and catch on with human emotion, and social awareness. I think ppl expect to much from Sheldon, hence why it came across as he is not understanding anyone, or has learnt nothing. It took him a while but he finnally caught on, and he did learn something he's learnt he needs to compromise more, and his social awareness progressed a lot in that ep. His comment about liking Amy quirks and all was a big step, but the writers still maintained Sheldon's deadpan obliviousness, so not loosing his character in the process too much.

My point is Sheldon and all the characters don't have to learn things each ep, tbbt is about slow changes and a methodical pace, most of the time the focus-centric relationships come across that way, Lenny were great this week, but haven't been for a few weeks in terms of drama. I don't think it was tedious at all the ep progressed nicely through out, and thought all the characterd contributed nicley to the Plot and Story A, the nerdiness and science seems to be returning, highlighted in the end with the laser beem ballons JMO.

I was disappointed that the laser experiment scene only lasted for a few seconds (8 sec. to be precise lol). :( I really want the guys to do more fun experiments together, as they used to.

As for the episode, an Okay for me.

• Like 1

I was disappointed that the laser experiment scene only lasted for a few seconds (8 sec. to be precise lol). :( I really want the guys to do more fun experiments together, as they used to.

As for the episode, an Okay for me.

I'm with you on that, it was the best part of the episode. The monkey thing could have been fun without the relationship drama around it.

This episode really was tedious at its best....worst episode in a long long time....

sheldon does'nt understand anyone....the whole joke of his plot....

amy's social understanding depends on the scene she is with...one second she understands everything thing...the next she is completely unaware...

and after everything happened sheldon does not learn a single thing......

True about Amy. She's just a catalyst to get Sheldon from A to B. B being the bedroom. They could have given him a science fiction gamer girlfriend. Damn it! Someone he could have fun with :(

• Like 1

True about Amy. She's just a catalyst to get Sheldon from A to B. B being the bedroom. They could have given him a science fiction gamer girlfriend. Damn it! Someone he could have fun with :(

Since when do Amy and Sheldon not have fun together?  hahaha

• Like 4

I'm with you on that, it was the best part of the episode. The monkey thing could have been fun without the relationship drama around it.

You mean like this?

Join-Shamy-Spot-shamy-sheldon-amy-245489

tumblr_lyj590U9jX1rn4qwao1_500.gif

tumblr_mu6uj242z91rj8bvzo1_250.gif

eta. Sorry, I forgot S7. Can't find one with the made-up language, so this will have to do:

tumblr_mu66pv0SwD1rj8bvzo5_r1_250.gif

Edited by koops
  • Like 7

Sheldon doesn't show any growth because he still considers himself smarter than anyone and everyone else.   So there is nothing worth learning from them.    About the only time this belief was shaken was when he had to work with Kripke on writing a proposal.

I don't care if sheldon has a science fiction gamer as a gf or not....

but amy as a character has no self identity now.... she was brilliant when she came and in the later half of season 4..she was the best and most enjoyable character of the show....

but now... one second she makes weird sex jokes....one second she gets offended when someone else make jokes about her relationship...one second she is completely mature....

she does'nt even laugh at sheldon's joke...

And people talking about growth in comedy blah blah blah.... it is ok if we do not get anything in episodes like contest one we had this season...but in episodes like this if not shown any character development (even a little) feels as tedious as it gets....

And that little dig at Sri Lankan's was not good... they might get offended..

Edited by vasu

Sheldon did not actually think that she was craving to be with him. *He* was the one who was craving to be with her. It's the whole point of the moth and the flame joke: he thinks it's possible for a flame, a static object, to go to the moth, a living creature. He denies basic laws of nature in order to deny that he is the one craving her company. It's classic Sheldon 101: he will never admit that he longs for something directly, he will always find a convoluted way to make it sound like there are other reasons for doing and saying the things he does and say that would otherwise just clearly indicate he has feelings. He wanted to hang out with her, but didn't want to admit it, so he made it sound like he was doing her a favor to have an excuse to go over there. He has behaved like this about a whole bunch of things since the beginning of time, it's not about him being clueless about what she wants or does not want, it's about him refusing to admit he has feelings. Or you may call it denial, if you don't believe he's aware of his own emotions. 

just like he wanted to spend more time with her by asking her not to work at the university....

anyhow...you're basically saying sheldon has been lying on and on again since long time...... hmmm... few seasons ago I thought Sheldon could'nt even tell a lie... now most of the stuff that comes out his are lies and lies...

... Yeah, I'm not going to bother with the above discussion. I'll just waltz in, drop my opinion, then GTFO. 

So far I'm loving being spoiler free. It was a very sweet episode and Sheldon seems to be less emotionally constipated this season. There were some hilarious lines (the "as you wish" line from Raj was hilarious), and I am thrilled that Amy found her spine and sass. Though at the same time, I don't think it was as amazing as other fans told me it would be. 

• Like 4

Wow.

Yeah, some people make it really difficult to not use the "ignore user" feature, don't they? :banghead:  (And yes, I do use it on a few people. I'd rather not have my blood pressure go up when I'm trying to enjoy reading a message forum. I just wish this forum software's Tapatalk module honored it so that I'm not exposed to it when reading from my phone or tablet, but I've given up on that ever getting fixed.)

Although I do agree that in society there seems to be a prevalent view about women having to improve their men (which I find extremely sexist and insulting), I do not think that the monkey scene was meant to, in any way, be a metaphor for women trying to improve their men. It was just meant to be a joke on Sheldon, for all his intellect and all, reacting to photos like a monkey. 

I would also like to point out, because I see this very often around here, that Neuroscience does not equal Psychotherapy or Psychiatry. Neuroscientists do not get trained to manipulate people and improve them or humanize them (let alone somehow be some kind of sex encyclopedia, like I often seem to see suggested, especially in fanfic). The most complex level of "manipulation" you get to do is conditioning, to see how that affects the brain, or to see where it is reflected in the brain. So while stuff like Amy unconditioning him from his need for closure or conditioning him to associate happy memories with her is sort of realistic, that's where it ends at. And, furthermore and more importantly, she has ALWAYS explained to him in advance what she was going to do and how it was going to affect him. It was never devious or deceptive or manipulative. Amy is not that kind of person, the only time she tried to be deceptive (in Fish Guts) she got caught red-handed and confronted about it. But that was more about prolonging enjoyment from something he was willingly doing anyway, rather than tricking him into doing stuff he didn't want to.

@eirwin: I really really really want to shoot balloons with lasers now! LOL.

I'm going to concede the point about the distinction between Neuroscience and Psychotherapy/Psychiatry. I have been guilty of overgeneralizing here.