The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.05 "the Workplace Proximity" (October 17)

Your Episode Rating  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I'm with you on that, it was the best part of the episode. The monkey thing could have been fun without the relationship drama around it.

True about Amy. She's just a catalyst to get Sheldon from A to B. B being the bedroom. They could have given him a science fiction gamer girlfriend. Damn it! Someone he could have fun with :(

The comment about Amy being a catalyst to get Sheldon from A to B could be true but your kind of ruined it by suggesting B being the bedroom. Amy has moved Sheldon from were he started in a way that no one else could. It is kind of refreshing to see a couple on TV that care about each other and have not moved their relationship to the bedroom (at least not yet and not prematurely).

Amy is the best thing that has happened to Sheldon! She is moving his maturity level forward (very slowly).

Even more important Amy and Bernadette are scientists. It is a big improvement to TBBT to have both women and men as scientists. We need women in science and it is nice to see them portrayed on TV. It is also nice that Amy and Bernadette are quite different. We are not getting just a single stereotype. What's more having Mayim Bialik as Amy is a good thing since she actually has a degree in Neuroscience. She brings more creditability to TBBT. She does science outreach when she is not acting and her role on TBBT means that high school teachers and students recognize her and are interested in what she has to say.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 9

The comment about Amy being a catalyst to get Sheldon from A to B could be true but your kind of ruined it by suggesting B being the bedroom. Amy has moved Sheldon from were he started in a way that no one else could. It is kind of refreshing to see a couple on TV that care about each other and have not moved their relationship to the bedroom (at least not yet and not prematurely).

Amy is the best thing that has happened to Sheldon! She is moving his maturity level forward (very slowly).

Even more important Amy and Bernadette are scientists. It is a big improvement to TBBT to have both women and men as scientists. We need women in science and it is nice to see them portrayed on TV. It is also nice that Amy and Bernadette are quite different. We are not getting just a single stereotype. What's more having Mayim Bialik as Amy is a good thing since she actually has a degree in Neuroscience. She brings more creditability to TBBT. She does science outreach when she is not acting and her role on TBBT means that high school teachers and students recognize her and are interested in what she has to say.

Will you marry me? 

• Like 2

This is from koops.

tumblr_mu66pv0SwD1rj8bvzo5_r1_250.gif

Oh man, I can't stop looking at Penny's face, priceless!

Edited by dana1010
  • Like 4

@ Phantagrae You liked Fun with Flags? I thought it was terrible, one of the worst things they have ever done. The other two are examples are about something the guys are doing. Got anymore :p

I do not agree that Amy is the only one that could be a catalyst for Sheldon because we have nothing to test this theory. There could have been other ways to get him involved with a female. There have been several examples on the show where he had interested parties, but these women were only in one episode. Who can tell what would have transpired if they had been given the chance to be permanent fixtures.

Yes it wasn't a bad thing to have two more scientists, but I just find Sheldon and Amy a little excruciating and not because they don't have sex. That was kind of a joke. To me, they don't have enough chemistry to make me root for them and I'm disappointed because I was hoping that Sheldon getting a girlfriend would be awesome. I know people will jump all over me and flame my ass but Amy is not appealing and the way they are tackling them, with this therapist-girlfriend approach gets my back up. It makes him look like such an idiot. Luckily, there are enough other things on the show I do like, so I try not to dwell on it so much. But I'm not as into the show as I one was. Just my opinion, that's all.

• Like 3

@ Phantagrae You liked Fun with Flags? I thought it was terrible, one of the worst things they have ever done. The other two are examples are about something the guys are doing. Got anymore :p

I do not agree that Amy is the only one that could be a catalyst for Sheldon because we have nothing to test this theory. There could have been other ways to get him involved with a female. There have been several examples on the show where he had interested parties, but these women were only in one episode. Who can tell what would have transpired if they had been given the chance to be permanent fixtures.

Yes it wasn't a bad thing to have two more scientists, but I just find Sheldon and Amy a little excruciating and not because they don't have sex. That was kind of a joke. To me, they don't have enough chemistry to make me root for them and I'm disappointed because I was hoping that Sheldon getting a girlfriend would be awesome. I know people will jump all over me and flame my ass but Amy is not appealing and the way they are tackling them, with this therapist-girlfriend approach gets my back up. It makes him look like such an idiot. Luckily, there are enough other things on the show I do like, so I try not to dwell on it so much. But I'm not as into the show as I one was. Just my opinion, that's all.

It has been awesome for some of us.

Frankly I don't really get shipping. I just enjoy the experience of the show episode to episode. TBBT has such a big audience now that for every element that one person loves there is another person that does not like it. You are liking the show less and I am liking it more than ever. Amy has had some lines and scenes that I did not like but in the balance I think she is a brilliant addition. In early TBBT Howard had some lines that I really did no like and just put up with. Late in season 6 Raj had some lines that made me cringe but I know that some bits I don't like others do.

As for chemistry between Amy and Sheldon I would not expect it to look the same as chemistry for another couple. I find their interactions more interesting than the other couples because they is so unique. True that Sheldon is emotionally/socially retarded but intellectually brilliant.

Amy is not putty like someone said. She is multifaceted and hard to pin down. This might be somewhat exaggerated but real people are multifaceted, unique and hard to figure out at times.

I think Mayim Bialik puts this very well when she is actually talking about herself.

"Like most real females, I wasn't one thing, I was many things".

I have posted this elsewhere but it seems fitting....

• Like 1

Not sure where your getting this idea that Amy is approaching Sheldon with a therapist-girlfriend approach, and other female's were only used as a plot device for that select episode, and were more through the catalyst of Raj wanting to go out in that one episode. Your entitled to your opinion, but you seem to be put off TBBT now based on Sheldon and Amy's relationship, which dosent make sense seeing their are other character's in the show and relationship's, and storyline's. Just seem's short sighted too me to define your perception of the show based on your disliking of the character of Amy. Their relationship has prooven if anything that Amy is the only female Sheldon has ever been attracted too, he even said it may not seem like it but what they have is very intimate, Amy is the type of female that I can see Sheldon being attracted too, Sheldon has even said he is not attracted to Physical Beauty but also intelligence, and Amy offer's that. As while I respect your opinion, not sure where your getting this thearpist-girlfriend approach concept from, I feel they are both inadequate when it come's to the social convention, and are both navigating their way through their relationship at a glacial pace, I find people who say these kinda of comment's about Shamy or any kinda of relationship on the show, expect massive changes and cliffhangers, well if that's your preferance TBBT maybe not your type of show. TBBT is about slow changes and gradual progress, compared to where Sheldon was 7 Season's ago he has made tremdenous growth, but it's slow and methodical, but that's realistic.

The reason why Amy has been so patient with Sheldon and tolerant, is she understand's Sheldon more then anyone, like I said I cannot see Sheldon committing to any other female other then Amy, they compliment each other, youv'e seen in the past if other women have shown interest, it has been more to get something out of Sheldon, or that one episode through Raj, and Sheldonw as compltely oblivious. But this Shelson he has never considered Physical Intimacy or Human Contact a relevant part of Human Nature, as much as knowledge and education, so his social intelligence and emotional intelligence is never going to be as adept or as proficient as Penny, Leonard, or even Howard. So he come's across as an idiot in his relationship with Amy, because he know's nothing about being in a relationship, but to me that's endering seeing a genius struggle with his emotion's, I thought he progressed a lot in the last ep, telling Amy he like's her for her. Based on your personal preferance you are allowed to dislike Amy, and most people dislike her because of this perceived notion, it has made him dumber, but to me it's refreshing seeing Sheldon not knowing what he is doing, it show's to me his social awareness is developing. Like I said with all the other women who showed interest was either to get something from him, like that women who tried to get credibility and recognition for his work, or that women through Raj Sheldon was absoloutely oblivious.

But Amy is the only female that Sheldon has even considered as an equal partner, so I cannot see at this point or at any point for that matter, that Sheldon would possibly be attracted to any other female, he has shown he is committed to Amy, and I think their is more a balance in their relationship in the past, considering the way Sheldon is and Amy is almost Sheldon 2.0, the writer's probably felt their was no way to justify him being attracted to a women who was the complete opposite of someone who he would be attracted too, based on this Amy is prob the best girlfriend he is ever going to have.

• Like 2

@Koops and @dessertiserved, thanks :)

Regarding the "if only Sheldon had a geeky/gamer girlfriend, everything would be awesome and he would have someone to have fun with" theory, well, I don't think it's that valid, for two reasons:

1. Sheldon already has his male friends for that, he wasn't in the need of another gamer companion, and even if his gf were into those activities, he would probably still prefer spend that time with his mates, not with her.

2. When Amy was first introduced, he was actually what Sheldon really lacked in his life: an intellectual companion, someone who was like him, understood him and didn't think of him as just a lunatic, the other "homo novus" he had never met before. And Amy remains being that for him, essentially, except for those moments of conflict, because, as Koops said in another post, conflict is needed to advance, I understand it perfectly (also, this is exactly the very reason because it wouldn't matter is his hypotetical GF were a geek/gamer/comics fan/theoretical physicist/Texas cowgirl, there still would be those "unfun" situations because dissagreement would be needed for their relationship advance).

My only complain in all this situation is, if they are planning to develop their relationship as such slow pace, I don't think it's necessary to put them in conflict every given episode, I'd be so happy to see them again as the mischevious pair that experimented and looked down at everyone else, enjoying themselves and each other as only they can.

Edited by sarah7
  • Like 5

@Koops and @dessertiserved, thanks :)

Regarding the "if only Sheldon had a geeky/gamer girlfriend, everything would be awesome and he would have someone to have fun with" theory, well, I don't think it's that valid, for two reasons:

1. Sheldon already has his male friends for that, he wasn't in the need of another gamer companion, and even if his gf were into those activities, he would probably still prefer spend that time with his mates, not with her.

2. When Amy was first introduced, he was actually what Sheldon really lacked in his life: an intellectual companion, someone who was like him, understood him and didn't think of him as just a lunatic, the other "homo novus" he had never met before. And Amy remains being that for him, essentially, except for those moments of conflict, because, as Koops said in another post, conflict is needed to advance, I understand it perfectly (also, this is exactly the very reason because it wouldn't matter is his hypotetical GF were a geek/gamer/comics fan/theoretical physicist/Texas cowgirl, there still would be those "unfun" situations because dissagreement would be needed for their relationship advance).

My only complain in all this situation is, if they are planning to develop their relationship as such slow pace, I don't think it's necessary to put them in conflict every given episode, I'd be so happy to see them again as the mischevious pair that experimented and looked down at everyone else, enjoying themselves and each other as only they can.

I agree with your points 1 and 2. I think Amy still has a strong need for Bernadette and Penny which I don't think she would want to jeopardize by getting too mischievous. Also Penny's "whimsy" kind of brushes off on Amy and I am guessing she needs some of that.

This is from koops.

tumblr_mu66pv0SwD1rj8bvzo5_r1_250.gif

Oh man, I can't stop looking at Penny's face, priceless!

I think that gif is an awesome shot from that scene because Penny in between them going WTF makes the scene even funnier. LOL.

I did not name the p word that shall not be named, therefore I am not Phanta! :p

I loved the first FWF in particular (the very first one was one of the best openings to an episode ever, imo), but my point wasn't about what I liked or didn't like. My point was that Sheldon does have fun with Amy. Whether you like the activities they have fun doing together or not, is another story. I could bring out other examples (the social experiments, TLA, stealing the parking lot, come to mind), I just picked one out of each season. Just because the guys organized the activity, it doesn't mean Amy didn't have fun with them, with Sheldon. You make it sound like poor Sheldon has to put up with a drag of a girlfriend just because she doesn't like comics or sci-fi.

The whole point of "maybe if they kept X on the show it would have been better" is moot. They're fictional characters. It's not a matter of keeping them around because maybe with their personalities they would be a better fit. The writers would have written their personalities according to what they wanted to do with them.  I bet if they had kept around Martha and Amy had disappeared after Zazzy, you'd have people today going "Oh, but what about that Amy chick? She could have been a better fit." They couldn't have written 7 seasons of Martha swooning over his green lantern. Or what? Have him in a relationship with Beverly? People seem to love Beverly and not realize that the only reason she can afford to be as outrageous as she is is because she appears in 1 episode out of 100 for 10 minutes. Just like they couldn't have written 7 seasons of Amy and Sheldon playing counterfactuals. 

Of course, that doesn't mean that the dynamics they've had between Sheldon and Amy have always been amazing and that the only way to make it work is what we have seen on screen. I'm sure there could have been different ways to go about it. But it's nothing to do with Amy as a character, it's about the stories and the situations they decide to write for her. I do agree that she's too often used as a plot device, and it irritates me as a fan, but I also have to make peace with the fact that, unfortunately, she's a supporting character in the eyes of the writers. I wish they were a bit more considerate with her character to be honest, and as careful with her as they are with other characters.

Now, on this, I totally agree. One of my main wishes for the season is to see them doing something together, just the two of them, and have a blast doing it. Even more so than with all the other experiments and games they've done together. Maybe once they get over the hump of the whole ridiculous kiss drama, the writers will finally be able to focus on something else for a change. One of the main reasons I just cannot wait for that damn kiss now is because I think it's become such an obsession in the writers' minds that they can't focus on much else when it comes to these two. Just get it over and done with and focus on something else for a while.
Edited by koops
  • Like 4

I would like to see them doing something fun too. Personaly, I've missed counterfactuals and the fact that this is something they created and only they understand. But, we've already seen them watching a movie together and what I liked about that is that it wasn't a movie Amy would have chosen but she wanted to share that with him. And despite Sheldon wanted to get back at her he became familiar with the things she liked and he actually enjoyed nearly everything. So it doesn't matter if they don't care about the same things such as comics or video games. They are both scientists, really clever and have a similar attitude towards life. It would be wonderful to get to see him teach her how to play a video game with him or something like that. Or I would like them to make a cool experiment maybe about physics this time!!I agree with koops on that lets get this over with the kiss and the sexual comments and Amy's sexual frustration and have them have fun doing something they would only understand!!!

• Like 1

Now, on this, I totally agree. One of my main wishes for the season is to see them doing something together, just the two of them, and have a blast doing it. Even more so than with all the other experiments and games they've done together. Maybe once they get over the hump of the whole ridiculous kiss drama, the writers will finally be able to focus on something else for a change. One of the main reasons I just cannot wait for that damn kiss now is because I think it's become such an obsession in the writers' minds that they can't focus on much else when it comes to these two. Just get it over and done with and focus on something else for a while.

I agree. I hope the writers will put in a corner the whole kiss teasing scenario and give us some good shamy common experiment or game, something bigger than their usual activities ( like a science project with optionally the gang involved as study specimens ) and then, a few episodes later, out of nowhere, this damn kiss would occurs. This is a good way to suprise us, keep the show unpredictable and interesting. Edited by Redrose
  • Like 3

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I agree. I hope the writers will put in a corner the whole kiss teasing scenario and give us some good shamy common experiment or game, something bigger than their usual activities ( like a science project with optionally the gang involved as study specimens ) and then, a few episodes later, out of nowhere, this damn kiss would occur. This is a good way to suprise us, keep the show unpredictable and interesting.

I agree as well. I think it would be a good idea if they stayed away from relationship plots with the Shamy for a number of episodes at least. These two characters have so much potential for other plots that do not involve relationship stuff, I cannot believe they haven't done it much. Episodes like Herb Garden/Parking Spot are sorely missed.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 3

I have a question about the kiss scenario--is it the writers who are teasing/obsessed with it, or the fans?

I don't think it would seem like such a tease if the fans weren't sitting around saying, "Just kiss her, already!!" or whatever, or sitting around chanting for the SIK.

I don't know that the writers are really teasing about a kiss in particular.  Maybe they're teasing a bit with the physicality, mentioning hand-holding and hugging that happens off-screen, but I don't know that there's been any actual hinting at a coming kiss or that Sheldon is wanting to kiss Amy yet.

At any rate, I did want to address some things that have been discussed while I've been busy this past week/weekend.

Moonbase said something to me about me liking FWF--I've actually liked all of the FWF scenarios that we've seen.  I thought it was fantastic the first time around--and I loved the tag of that episode with "Ich bin ein Bavarian"  "Und ich bin eine Pretzel!".  I still say, "Guten tag, das YouTube!" LOL

But I actually liked the conflict between Amy and Wil, even if Amy was wrong and wanted Sheldon to defend her, etc.  So Amy's not perfect.  That's a good thing.  And Sheldon being caught between her and Wil, and not getting her sarcastic remark about eating dinner with Wil, etc.  I loved that whole thing.  There were some interesting things going on with Sheldon thinking about Amy and about himself, etc.

I also think that the past women who have been interested in Sheldon were never going to be what Amy is to him.  First of all, the writers weren't intending to try any of them out as actual girlfriends for Sheldon, they were only there for the moment to serve the story that was being told at the time, and actually to underscore his disinterest.  In the one with Martha and Danica McKellar (or whatever her name is), Raj wanted to score and Sheldon was just there as the wingman.  Though he went along with the "double date", he didn't do it because he wanted a date, he was just there.  He couldn't help it if Martha had a crush on him.  She didn't get that he wasn't interested in her, even if she liked Flatland and his Green Lantern, and  maybe even his Hulk Hands.  He was polite, and maybe even somewhat interested in her ideas about Flatland, but he certainly wasn't interested in pursuing a relationship with her.  He didn't even want to participate in the second date and only did so for the Hulk Hands.

That Nowitski girl was also someone who glommed onto him, perhaps to attach herself to any breakthrough he might have--as we saw in the end, she wanted partial credit on his paper.  Did she even want anything more?  I think Sheldon tolerated her because she flattered him and brought him food and doted over him, but he started to chafe the minute she started interfering with his leisure pursuits, etc.

She would never have worked as any kind of girlfriend for that reason, but mostly because, again, he wasn't interested in her.

But with Amy, there was the idea that she was an actual match for him.  Even though it was through a dating site, they obviously had certain things in common.  And though he wasn't interested in looking for a girlfriend--he was never wanting a girlfriend or feeling like he was missing out on some aspect of life by not having one--he did find a kindred spirit in her, which set her apart from any other girls he had happened to encounter before.

And, of course, the writers intended her to be his perfect match, so that's the main difference.

I do like that, although they have many things in common, they're not carbon copies of each other.  No matter how well suited you are for your mate, there are always going to be differences in each person's perspective, habits, etc.

And I don't feel that Amy is there to push Sheldon to the bedroom, and I don't really feel like it's imperative that they progress any faster than they are.  If the goal is not to get Sheldon to lose his virginity--and I don't think that's the goal with giving him a girlfriend--then I don't think there has to be any rush to the physical aspect.

But, since they have brought up the issue very plainly, I think there are going to be things that happen, but I still don't think it has to be all about the sex.  Because it has been mentioned that Sheldon is "working on it", we know that it's not completely out of the picture, but that doesn't mean that he's ever going to be like the other guys in terms of what his priorities are with his girlfriend.

I would rather see Sheldon and Amy taking their time and talking about what it means to be in a relationship.  Even though Amy doesn't have the experience that the other girls have when it comes to relationships, and even though she can still be somewhat awkward and inappropriate, she does seem to be quicker on the uptake when it comes to social interactions than Sheldon will ever be.

Although she's been isolated when it comes to having friends, she seems to have been interested in the idea of romance or boyfriends, etc., since she was a girl, like most kids are.  She didn't get to experience it, but that doesn't mean she didn't think about it.

Perhaps by the time we first meet her, she'd more or less given up on the idea, or at least, she wasn't about to jump into such a relationship, but I think she started thinking of Sheldon as her "kinda-sorta-boyfriend" sooner than he thought of her that way.

For Sheldon, it's always going to be a different journey because he had never thought about having a girlfriend, never longed for female companionship, never thought about what it means to be in such a relationsihp.  Whatever he learned about in having been exposed to his friends' exploits seemed to be foolishness and a waste of time, etc., as far as he could tell from the outcomes of their endeavors.

He didn't really learn, or care to learn, what it meant to be a boyfriend.

So, with Amy, he's really starting from scratch in many ways.  While he might have learned a few things about general manners and politeness, which he can use when he feels like it, he never learned what it means to be truly unselfish.  He's still very childish in that way and keeps stumbling over that issue when certain kinds of choices come up.

But I think he's learning more and more to be honest with Amy, learning that he needs to open up with her, that he can't always get his way.  He's sitll pretty far behind on being able to see things from another person's perspective.

But having Amy in his life--a person who is more like him than anyone else he's ever known--has given him the opportunity to grow, and the desire to grow, even.

He's now thinking of himself as part of a couple, which he had never done before Amy came along.  He was content to be as solitary as an oyster, even though he had a group of supportive friends.  He was self-contained and self-focused, even if he still relies on them for transportation, etc.

Though it is true that he's not as self-contained as he likes to think he is.  As others have pointed out, he's actually very emotional, even if he denies it up one side and down the other.  And I think that's part of why he's growing more and more in his relationship with Amy.

I think that the writers are striking a nice pace with Sheldon and Amy, even if some people were irritated at how the latter half of S6 was handled.  Whatever happened then, at this point they are obviously making some progress in trying to mature their relationship--and I'm not talking about just the physicality of it.  I mean that they're talking more, dealing with issues and conflicts by talking through it, even if the talking isn't necessarily smoothly handled.

I survived the Mulder/Scully Relationship.  Compared to them, the Shamy is going at the speed of light.

I'm sure I've rambled a lot, so I'll stop for now.

For now... :p

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 2

enjoyed it---felt bad for amy, sheldon can be a jerk,

clueless at times. it was a sweet story line.

the kiss will be the payoff.

felt howard was a little jerk also, bernie would not

fall for is tricks. howard should have went after

bernie when she left rajs place.

leonard/penny YAH!!!

• Like 2

Comparitively speaking I diddn't like it as much as the previous episode's, but watching it back I think you miss moment's or in the moment you over think scenes. I laughed more the second time around, loved the scene with Leonard and Raj predicting what Howard need's to say to get out of the jam he was in with Bernadette. Sheldon and Amy were good too, I Think though TBBT is at it's best though when Story A involves the whole cast, relationship's are moving along, good too see some episode's not exactly relationship centric, but still progressing the relationship's. Like maybe some career or family issues arrive, for the character's and see how that effect's the relationships.

Edited by 3ku11