Sheldon Cooper Centered Show

ethnographer21

Sheldon is by far my favorite character but I feel like the ensemble of the cast make this a TV show, not just him alone. Plus, he's a creature of habit - if there were to be a show only about him, it'd be very predictable and probably frustrating without the rest of the gang throwing a wrench in his routine. ;) Cool question, though.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I wouldn't. Because I think that an essential part of what makes Sheldon the character he is is not himself, but the reactions and interactions with the other characters on the show.

• Like 6

Everybody loves Sheldon Cooper, myself included, so I am wondering how many of you would watch an entire series dedicated to Sheldon Cooper and all his antics? Any thoughts on this or is it just a preposterous idea?

I wouldn't. Because I think that an essential part of what makes Sheldon the character he is is not himself, but the reactions and interactions with the other characters on the show.

If you ever been on this forum you would know not everyone loves Sheldon. IMO in a vote he would be favored probably more than anyone else. I still think though the center of the show is Leonard. Though without his interactions with the others Sheldon would be a boring character.

While I love Sheldon, he doesn't exist in a vaccuum and his "antics" are only meaningful in relation to his circle of friends and how they all interact.

Though he is a strong, stand-out character, if you had a show about his "antics", you'd simply have to invent new people for him to interact with.

I like the balance of how the show is now.

Seeing Leonard is the social nucleus in the show it probably woulden't work, Sheldon woulden't be the same without all the character's to play off, he would be an ass or condecending, and prob would end up looking in the mirrow just to prove his superiority lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Sheldon is by far my favorite character but I feel like the ensemble of the cast make this a TV show, not just him alone. Plus, he's a creature of habit - if there were to be a show only about him, it'd be very predictable and probably frustrating without the rest of the gang throwing a wrench in his routine. ;) Cool question, though.

I agree.

While I know that most people tend to favor Sheldon over the other characters, I feel that Big Bang Theory is great because of the WHOLE cast. Each character has their own quirks and they're funny because they all fit in so well together! I feel like a Sheldon-centered show wouldn't fare well. It's gonna be just like the Joey spin-off after FRIENDS. :/

I agree.

While I know that most people tend to favor Sheldon over the other characters, I feel that Big Bang Theory is great because of the WHOLE cast. Each character has their own quirks and they're funny because they all fit in so well together! I feel like a Sheldon-centered show wouldn't fare well. It's gonna be just like the Joey spin-off after FRIENDS. :/

As much as Sheldon is the centre of the group, by which I mean everybody looks out for him to go on a psychotic rant, it's good to say that the whole cast has definitely played their role. I also agree that everybody has had their good share of moments. I think the writers are trying to hide his self-centered personality by giving him the excuse for, I dunno, being Sheldon!

• 1 month later...

I would not. I enjoy TBBT and I believe that is because the show is well written and the cast does a good job with their characters. I can say that Jim Parsons is very talented and does a mighty good Sheldor, but I find Sheldon the character to be unbearable. I don't see much positive in SC and am constantly wondering why the other characters put up with him. The best shows are the ones where Sheldon is being brilliant and quirky but the other characters are not bowing down to him. Sheldon wears on me and I would be happy to miss anything with him as the main focus.

Everybody loves Sheldon Cooper, myself included, so I am wondering how many of you would watch an entire series dedicated to Sheldon Cooper and all his antics? Any thoughts on this or is it just a preposterous idea?

As far as I’m concerned, it already IS dedicated to Sheldon Cooper and his antics. I have a very selective attention span, and my head fills with a form of white noise when he’s not onscreen.

Sort of like this dog.

153603564_7281ad0588.jpg

Except replace "Ginger" with Sheldon. Obviously.

I also have a mentally filtered version of Lord of the Rings that tunes out Frodo, Sam and ElfBoy. This makes the movies considerably shorter, I must say.

I could be wrong, but I took the OP’s question to mean a show FOCUSED on Sheldon, (rather than Leonard and Penny’s relationship, Howard’s career etc) with therefore more episodes dedicated to, say, his run-ins with fellow scientists, or failed experiments, or efforts to become the highly unbenevolent overlord of Pasadena, and so forth.

He’d still very much be interacting with other characters, not sitting in a corner scratching himself for 22 minutes.

I think Season Three was rather like this actually. Ah….Season Three…

Anyroad, the practical answer to the OP’s question is Yes. Possibly even F#*k Yes. As I indeed wrote on my profile that I WOULD rather watch Sheldon scratch himself for 22 minutes than all the others combined, I’d better stick with it.

The idea would be great for a special episode though. A whole episode seen completely from Sheldon's point of view, something like that.

Are'nt most of the episodes in TBBT about how Sheldon feels?

A Sheldon Spinoff (Sheloff?). Wouldn't work in my opinion. As great as Sheldon is, all of his good points are created from his interactions with his friends. He bounces off of the, and has shown on the show many times that when left without them he is in fact uncomfortable, despite what he may say. If he were put in a new show he wouldn't get the same reaction interacting with other random people. And it's not something I think his character would do. Sheldon needs the group, even more than they need him.

A Sheldon spin off? 

I don't think it would work at all. I do like Sheldon and his antics but I also think the whole cast has played a role. One of the things I like about the show is Sheldon's reactions and interactions with the other characters. Without them,he would be boring . The spin-off would just be Sheldon annoying random people and acting childish. No one would watch that and it would be cancelled after 1 or 2 episodes

Edited by thephantom

• 4 months later...

The show is Sheldon and everybody else .Without Sheldon it would probably be a failing sitcom. Its obvious the show is centered around Sheldon and he does all the funny ridiculous stuff and get the a majority of the funny lines.  So can Sheldon have a show to himself ? Yeah , but even then you need supporting charters

Edited by AceMackenzie9

The show is Sheldon and everybody else .Without Sheldon it would probably be a failing sitcom. Its obvious the show is centered around Sheldon and he does all the funny ridiculous stuff.  So can Sheldon have a show to himself ? yeah but even then you need supporting charters

Edited by AceMackenzie9

I dont think any of these characters are have strong enough personalitys to make a show on there own. While I do love sheldon and he is my favourite Big bang character I dont think him alone is really a show worth watching. I think the different characters is what gives this show the chemistry it has. That is why its a good show and while everyone follows sheldons lead most of the time(mostly becuase they dont want to deal with the issues of not listening to him) I don't think a show only about him would be very enjoyable. Isnt it enough that most of the show already is mostly focused around him or what leonard are doing.