The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Katentek

Penny's Drinking

I love the show, I love Penny's character and I'm no wowser but I do find her increasing reliance on alcohol disappointing, unnecessary, a bad role model. It's a sad stereotype that the only non genius main character is an "alcoholic".

Only she isn't. She drinks but not that much and also drinks less, much less than in previous seasons.

Yes, sorry about posting on the wrong section. I realised moments after pressing the post button that the thread belonged in the other area. Me bad. Oops!

Regarding her drinking I haven't seen any season 7 yet. It starts here in Aust on Monday. But in S.6 whenever she is not at work she seems to be drinking. Further, whereas Leonard may share a glass of wine with her she is often keen to over indulge. Being intoxicated seems a major source of enjoyment ("I should be in Vegas throwing up on a waiters shoes," I believe is one quote). This is not the case for any other character.

To me it is disappointing that the writers have emphasised this aspect of her character more and more, at least through seasons 1 to 6.

I am sure their is an already existing thread that has gone into deep analysis over Penny's so called "drinking" problem, from my point of view she drank a lot more in Season 4 to deal with Leonard and Priya's relationship and her own short comings in her acting career. But other then that I saw no indulgence of drinking in Season 6, in fact it was a lot more refined to a couple of wine's at dinner, and I don't agree it is an dissapointing aspect, the drinking imo is an extension to her personality and socializing with her peers, I mean go back to S4 when the girls went out she hardly drank at all, and she had fun sober as you can. I am not saying she hasen't implied she drinks alot or has never drank a lot before, because she has but her consumption is no where near people say it is, more in social occasions JMO.

Edited by 3ku11

I love the show, I love Penny's character and I'm no wowser but I do find her increasing reliance on alcohol disappointing, unnecessary, a bad role model. It's a sad stereotype that the only non genius main character is an "alcoholic".

It seems the intent of her character is to be flawed at all times. Not just being alcoholic also her career is flawed and her relationships are flawed as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone who thinks Penny has a drinking problem is horribly naive. As someone who has seen addiction within my own family, I can safely assure you it is much worse. 

• Like 2

I don't know if the writers want to have us believe that or not, but it was implied that she drank that whole bottle of wine she brought to the Thanksgiving party.

I don't know if the writers want to have us believe that or not, but it was implied that she drank that whole bottle of wine she brought to the Thanksgiving party.

No, it was implied that she opened it and drank some in the car. She wasn't even tipsy, so I doubt she had more than a few sips. If she had the entire bottle she would have been blackout drunk. 

Edited by DaisyJane

No, it was implied that she opened it and drank some in the car. She wasn't even tipsy, so I doubt she had more than a few sips. If she had the entire bottle she would have been blackout drunk.

Over the course of that day with the food and the excitement she could easily have four glasses and still been ambulatory and coherent. She could likely metabolise one glass per hour. Not legal to drive of course but just loose. Or looser. Hehehe. But there were no signs that she was anything like that. She looked fine, alert and not intoxicated. I think she's actually rarely drunk. Just sipping, most of the time lately.

• Like 1

I've known several people who could down a bottle of wine in a few hours and never seem drunk. Like I said, I don't really understand what the writers want us to believe about her and her drinking. She is the biggest drinker of the girls, but I am not sure about the group, Raj use to drink a lot too.

• Like 1

I've known several people who could down a bottle of wine in a few hours and never seem drunk. Like I said, I don't really understand what the writers want us to believe about her and her drinking. She is the biggest drinker of the girls, but I am not sure about the group, Raj use to drink a lot too.

aha, I have it! It's subtle product placement. They are sponsored by the Napa Valley Business Council. Maybe :)