Is There Too Much Effort Into Character Development Lately?

samtheman

Hello everyone,

Isn't this show too much about characters now and less about jokes. For example directors try too hard to show that Sheldon despite his peculiar personality cares for his friends.  Ok I get it, no need to drum it to my head all the time. I mean the episode where Sheldon helps Raj when he has lost his job is a subtle nice way to show that he cares for his friend, but lately directors are trying too hard to show that Sheldon misses leonard. The point is the characters are developed a lot now, and to be honest the last few episodes have done nothing for their further development. So I think directors must take a break from character development and concentrate on creating some funny situations and concentrating more on old plain good jokes. This is not saying not to develop the characters, but they are already developed a lot no need to concentrate on them too much. Others would have difffent views, just sharing my thoughts. Thanks :)

• Like 1

I'd have to disagree. One of the main complaints from the critics of the show was that the characters were developing too slowly over the past few seasons, and were starting to stagnate. The only characters that have shown any large development from their beginnings are Howard and Amy. It's difficult to strike the right balance between character development and jokes but IMO, TBBT has had the least amount of serious/character development moments compared to any sitcom I've ever seen. This doesn't mean that the characters need to change their foundations, as that would jump the shark entirely, but they've got a fair amount of work to do on an aspect of the show they've pretty much left untouched for at least 3 years.

It's been 7 years now, if it were even as little as 2 seasons ago I might agree with you but I'm happy with the fact they're finally spending more time addressing the characters' issues. Especially now that most of them are in committed relationships or seriously trying to get into one, it's pretty important. I've actually found the first few episodes of season 7 much funnier than the first few of season 6 though, meaning they've got a good balance going on in my eyes.

• Like 3

Well I disagree as above said TBBT is not a show about massive changes or big moment's, or cliffhangers but slow gradual changes. And that what has been critisized over the past two season's is the lack of character development. their has been a lot of character development especially with Howard. Like above said they have developed the character's and their issues a lot the past two season's, and I don't think Sheldon is over doing his development of social awareness, other then 7.01 where he was in denial over missing Leonard, haven't seen evidence the writer's are pushing Sheldon showing he misses Leonard. I think S7 is much better then S6 so far, and I really liked S6, but S7 has started much better.

Frankly I think the comedy comes first always on TBBT. Even in s6e24 when Leonard and Penny were having an actual tender moment in the car Sheldon was constantly interrupting.

I am very happy with s7 so far. I think the writers have hit a good stride.

I just joined this forum in August but it is quit clear that there is a very big divergence of opinion on many things related to TBBT. A joke mentioned as one persons favorite will be strongly disliked by someone else. One person wants more character development and another wants to have it more like the first few seasons. Overall I think the writers are doing a great job with this series.

It is about the only TV I watch regularly besides the news.

I think its the character development that make the show funny .... You can't keep them like they were still in Season 1 ... you have to move them along  and some times you have to give them a good kick in the pants and then slow down for awhile .... this is what makes it appear real to the audience ... Bernadette and Howard having arguments and Amy wanting to have SEX with Sheldon ... one day they will  ... and Penny and Leonard with their learning to be really good friends before doing the WYMM ... and having KIDS ...  every one has FUN ...

• Like 1

I'd have to disagree. One of the main complaints from the critics of the show was that the characters were developing too slowly over the past few seasons, and were starting to stagnate. The only characters that have shown any large development from their beginnings are Howard and Amy. It's difficult to strike the right balance between character development and jokes but IMO, TBBT has had the least amount of serious/character development moments compared to any sitcom I've ever seen. This doesn't mean that the characters need to change their foundations, as that would jump the shark entirely, but they've got a fair amount of work to do on an aspect of the show they've pretty much left untouched for at least 3 years.

It's been 7 years now, if it were even as little as 2 seasons ago I might agree with you but I'm happy with the fact they're finally spending more time addressing the characters' issues. Especially now that most of them are in committed relationships or seriously trying to get into one, it's pretty important. I've actually found the first few episodes of season 7 much funnier than the first few of season 6 though, meaning they've got a good balance going on in my eyes.

"TBBT has had the least amount of serious/character development moments..."?  Then you never watched Seinfeld - there was, IMHO, zero character development in that sitcom.  Ever...  but I'm not praising that as the right way to go.  Very successful comedy - obviously.  But did anyone ever really care about these characters as people.  We never laughed with them - we laughed at them.  I think TBBT doesn't have to follow a formula, and they've chosen to allow the characters to grow, at least some of them have.  For me that's been part of the enjoyment of watching the show. I'd also argue that without the growth of Penny and Leonard, individually and as a couple, the ratings wouldn't be nearly what they are.

"TBBT has had the least amount of serious/character development moments..."?  Then you never watched Seinfeld - there was, IMHO, zero character development in that sitcom.  Ever...  but I'm not praising that as the right way to go.  Very successful comedy - obviously.  But did anyone ever really care about these characters as people.  We never laughed with them - we laughed at them.

Exactly, and that is probably the biggest reason why I never liked Seinfeld: the characters were self-centered douchebags that I simply did not like, at all. I can't watch a sitcom that has characters I don't like (a big reason why I never got into Roseanne, either, though I am grateful for them giving us Sara Gilbert, Johnny Galecki, and Laurie Metcalf). The TBBT characters, on the other hand, you can't help but like, even when they're acting superior to everyone else (Sheldon), smarmy and creepy (Howard), or just incredibly douchey (Raj).

I'd also argue that without the growth of Penny and Leonard, individually and as a couple, the ratings wouldn't be nearly what they are.

Well, the progression of Leonard and Penny as a couple has always been the core facet of the show, ever since the pilot episode. We all know what the endgame is with them; the pleasure is in seeing how it progresses to that point, though all its ups and downs. That's what makes for entertaining television, and the producers have wisely kept with it (I figure they know a good thing when they see it) and expanded on it with the introduction of Bernadette and Amy and the various other relationships to act as a mirror.

Friends > Seinfeild ;) I know that was OT lol but just saying. I agree have yet to see a sitcom other then Friends where even at their worst they are still so likeable, and I agree Leonard & Penny's growth individually and as a couple is a big reason for the ratings, they have been the heart of the series, so you root for them in their high points and in their low points, thats why Lenny is so popular as is TBBT. As for Seinfeild yes very successful comedy, but the character's lacked depth at time's and felt cold, watched it but I think the general consensus is because of the lack of character development, they remained self narcissistic till the very end, and depending on your personal preferance that may be okay to some people, but like above said to me that mean's I am laughing at them not with them, you never felt that these were people you generally cared about, these were people that would double cross each other if given the oppurtunity, you never saw evidence to suggest they geniunely cared for each other, from what I heard the series ended with them in jail says it all really lol. Friend's was about a time in your life where everything is possible, and when your 20 something living in NY your Friend's are your Family, so that concept was universal. I also feel TBBT is the same as Friend's, as while not everyone can relate to the character's being geek's, it's rare that a comedy/sitcom has more then one geek, and these character's have so much layer's and nuances to them, even Raj for example who can be douchey at time's and Howard being creepy, it is not done through self narcissistic tendencies, it come's from a good place, even Sheldon acting supeior, Sheldon has a humanity to him that make's him humble somehow, that's the difference I can see anyway.

When it come's to character development I think the growth has been slow changes, but that's realistic you don't see massive changes in real life, so if your preferance for a show is massive changes and cliffhangers, TBBT maybe not your thing, but Seinfield never had any growth and was really popular, but I Think the slow growth is beneifical to TBBT, seven season's their is ton's of room for improvement and progress in these character's, so I don't think their has been too much character development at all just enough but not too much, it's more subtle changes.

Edited by 3ku11

Leonard & Penny's growth individually and as a couple is a big reason for the ratings...

I am quite sure it is the richness of interplay of all the characters that makes this series popular.

If the show had to depend only on the growth of Leonard and Penny it would have ended a long time ago. I like Leonard and Penny but they are not all that interesting as a couple. The two of them individually and as a couple do form the nucleus of the show and give a rational for the extended group to be together. Also, I have said before I think Kaley Cuoco is a big enough draw to make people give the series a chance.

Leonard is ground zero for the show. As such it is understandable he actually does not change much at all. He has changed least of any character. He is not nervous around Penny anymore but that is just because of what they have shared together. He is no more mature in S7 than he was in S1.

Sheldon changes very slowly too. That is because he does not like change. Being around Leonard and Penny first and Amy later does cause him to evolve.

Penny has changed more than Leonard or Sheldon. Of the three she was the most dissatisfied with her old life and making the bigger adjustment by being around Leonard and his friends.

Other characters change much more.