All Good Things....how Much Is Too Much ? How Many Seasons Should Tbbt Run For ?

rrtaylornz

Hi folks,

Some TV shows die before their time (like Firefly !) others

are allowed to carry on long past their "use by" date,

and lose all the freshness that made them worth watching.

e.g. Supernatural, should have finished at the end of series 5 (which is when the series creator left).

No Star Trek TV series lasted past 7 seasons, which was a good length.

(except Star Trek Enterprise, thank goodness they killed that one after 4 seasons !)

Fringe only lasted 5 seasons but finished on a good note,

Lost, kind of meandered its way to 6 seasons.

Two and a half men is still going and should have probably ended when Sheen left.

Anyway, that's all IMO.  But how long can TBBT keep delivering really enjoyable

and original stories. Sooner or later they're going to start re-visiting old ground,

and not in a good way....it's one thing to pick up an old story thread or have

recurring characters ( like Leonard and Sheldon's moms), but eventually

even TBBT will start to struggle.

Personally.  I  think it could do well to finish after 8 seasons, maybe 9, but

at the absolute most 10.  I don't know, maybe 200 episodes (so 10 seasons

would be 240), but no longer.   It's been fun watching the guys grow as

characters, and the amazing change the girls have made in their lives

(and the girls have undergone plenty of character development too,

Amy is almost a different person, and Bernadette has mellowed.

Actually, Penny has probably changed the least.  But, it's the fact that the

characters have grown and developed with time that's kept it fresh.

Anyway, enough about what I think, what does everyone else think ?

How long should TBBT go on for ?

Cheers !

• Like 2

Well one I disagree with your comment that Penny has changed the less, I would say a part from Howard her character development has evolved the most, Season One Penny was all about acting nothing less was acceptable, she is now making more adult decision's, and her going back to college and studying Psychology is proof of that. As for revisiting old ground when it come's to recurring character's, tbh their hasen't been a lot of recurring character's since Season 3, you saw Mary Sheldon's mother a few time's in the first season and the second season, and then in the 5th season. We have seen Leonard's Mother three time's, once in Season 2, once in Season 3 when Leonard and Penny were dating, and recently 2 week's ago via skype. Other recurring character's have show up a few time's, Leslie Wrinkle in Season One and Season Three, a few other one off character's for a episode, more used in terms of the plot device in the episode. I think it is more prevalent to bring back the parent's now at some point this season, considering the place Leonard and Penny are in with their relationship, and Shamy are in with their's, Penny well want Leonard to eventually meet her parent's, and Leonard's father maybe introduced at some point.

We haven't seen Mary since Season 5, so the writer's have a ton of ammunition when it come's to bringing back recurring character's if they were to revisit them if they ran out of story idea's and matarial, but IMO they are no where near that right now considering the rating's right now you could argue has banked at least 3 more season's, and the show IMHO has shown no sign's of slowing down it's getting better and better. I also think what is in the show's favour is the lack of backstories we have seen within these character's, Johnny Galecki said they feel their are still a lot of stories they can tell, and I think he is right it doesen't feel like Season 7, most great sitcom's start really bad but get great over time, Friend's was like that started shaky then was great over time, HIMYM was really good first four season's, then started to plataue off, Taahm started to decline by seventh season e.t.c. TBBT progress and improovement has been like on a linear curve, it keeps going up and up. TBBT is a show about slow changes and development, so at this point their is no need to worry about the writer's lack of idea's, I am comforted in the fact Chuck Lorre said they want to make the most of this oppurtunity they have, but they also don't want to overstay their welcome, that to me speak's volume's in term's of fresh storyline's, and how long the show well go, I think 10 season's maybe 12 season's is not pushing it.

For the record I said earlier Penny has changed the most and I beleive she has, she has changed from a superficial, almost shallow 21 year old blond bombshell who's self actulization was defined by her ideals of becoming a massive movie star, now it has been deconstructed and is now realizing that relationship's are just as important, it's not that she has given up on acting, it's just she is wanting to find something else she is also passionate about, I feel she was never passionate about acting just the idea of stardom, I think psychology is up her ally. I was a big Taahm fan before they killed charlie, off but I felt they should of ended the show with Charlie getting married, Friend's ended at the right time, so it's legacy is intact, I have no concerns with TBBT, it is a long way off even being an issue.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Just as long as they don't go the way of "Scrubs", which ended well after 8 seasons, but should never have produced season 9!   Now there are a whole bunch of things that they could examine for an 8th or even finish a 9th season, that would be over 70 more shows, after 9, in my opinion it will be mostly done.   Personal life changes for the actors may become a factor, let's assume this time Kaley does get married, a child could be coming in the next year or so, just for an example.

• Like 1

Well it comes down to a personal preferance when it comes to 1-3 v 4-7. Reaitically tho it cant stop at S7 its just wont happen, with how the strong the ratings are, storylines with Leonard and Penny's engagement is not going to happen this season, more over the next two years, so it would make no logical sense to end it after this season. Imo first three seasons were nice and all, but personally I think tbbt has been at its best since S4, it's more bolder and serialized, I love how the characters have evolved in thier work life and in their relationships. I personally have enjoyed Sheldon more as a character since S4, he was too cold at times for my liking in the first three. Dont get me wrong I loved the first three, but nothing lasts forever, change is the only constant, if the show never changed It would of most likely faded into oblivion by S3.

But with a sitcom the writers are always trying to prevent stagnitism, because when your in your 5th, 6th, 7th season you need something to root for, and I have always beleived that is Leonard and Penny's relationship. So logically after investing in their relationship for seven seasons they have no reason for the network to stop it, their are tons of fans of their relationship, who I wld dare say 90 % of the viewers want a wedding in S10. It's funny tho TbbT only started getting recognition from the industry from S4, does that imply 1-3 weren't the strongest years lol? It's up to the person tho, like I said everyone has a personal preferance. If your preferance of the show is Science, seeing the relationships were put on the back burner in the early years, your normal pre-disposition is going to think quaility waned after s5 as alot ppl do, not just tbbt all show's.

But if you've enjoyed watching the characters evolve, especially in their relationships, your gonna love 4-7. Personally I think 4-6 were neccessary in evolving the relationships in the show, as now in S7 you are seeing an awesome season that is returning to it nerdy roots and science, so like Friend's a return to form, but i think you said you've yet to watch S7. Tbbt is the type of show that gets better and better, at some point tho it needs to go out on its own terms, but thats a while off ive watched since I was 18 since S1, S7 is just as gd as 1-3 if not better, I remember too the cast said theirs still alot of stories to tell and I agree.

So I get the thing that shows shld end after five seasons so as to not wore out its welcome, but as long as the writers keep raising their game, the cast are enthuasistic theirs no reason why it can't maintain quality, to it doesent feel like S7, this is all jmo I respect your opinion too.

• Like 3

I don't know what it is with TV series and the first seasons ...

The X-files, Dexter, 24 etc: the first 5 season were absolutely brillant and then they went downhill. I think the last great season of TBBT was season 4 (and only the first half). We are already watching season 7, so I'd say 9 is enough, 10 the max..

I don't know what it is with TV series and the first seasons ...

The X-files, Dexter, 24 etc: the first 5 season were absolutely brillant and then they went downhill. I think the last great season of TBBT was season 4 (and only the first half). We are already watching season 7, so I'd say 9 is enough, 10 the max..

Add True Blood to that list, the 1st series being so mind-blowingly good it was no surprise it couldn't be sustained. :(

Season 4 TBBT was by far my favourite. Parts of 5 were very poor IMO, but my least favourite is Series 1. The actors haven't yet got a handle on their characters and it just feels a little soulless. Really enjoyed Season 6 though and just hope the larger budget in Season 7 doesn't take away from the beautiful characterisations that have been developed to make way for big special effects just because they can. The trailer with the Kraken and Penny's shower scene hinted at a slightly different feel but I'll just have to wait and see.

Roll on Halloween (trick & treat candy plus new Big Bang, 's'all good)!

I think the creators, writers and producers of TBBT are very fond of what they have created and will do their best to ensure that the show concludes at the right time.  It's the 7th season now, so that isn't too long.  Friends did well through, what, 10 seasons? Seinfeld 9 seasons.  10 seasons for TBBT isn't unreasonable while keeping it funny.

It is too early to say.   Oddly most of your comparisons (in the first post) were not  to other sitcom's.

Science fiction and fantasy is quite different since it is expensive to make and typically a 1 hour program rather than a half hour program.

Does anyone know another series that has increasing ratings and a wider viewer base in the 7th season than it did in the first few seasons? It appears that TBBT is charting it's own course. I think the addition of Amy and Bernadette has changed the show substantially. In a year or two there could be other changes. So who can say?

They have the money now to bring in big guest stars when they want to and keep a rather large cast.

http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/the-top-10-longest-running-television-sitcoms/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-running_U.S._primetime_television_series

Edited by djsurrey

Friends got bigger as the show ran longer. djrurrey's first link has some interesting notes, if you look further. One that jumps out is the finale of MASH. It brought in 125 Million viewers. TBBT has hit 20 million twice. My Three Sons ran for 12 years and produced 380 episodes. That's and average of 31 episodes a year (TBBT produces 24). It's not in that link, but the first two years of My Three Sons ran an incredible 38 episodes.

The other thing about My Three Sons, that has a comparison to TBBT, is that it reset twice in it's run. In season 4-5, the housekeeper was changed due to the illness of the actor, and the oldest son left the series, and another housekeeper and another child actor were brought in, enabling them to run down a few different paths than previously. In season 8-9, the two oldest sons got married, and one of the wives had triplets, another set of my three sons and the father got remarried to a woman with a daughter. So far, TBBT has reset in season four, by bringing in Amy and Bernadette, enabling the writers to add stories and another partial reset could occur if Raj finds a girlfriend. In conjunction with that, IF the TPTB decide to move Penny and Leonard in together, along with moving Amy in with sheldon, that would also count as a reset and they could mine different types of stories.

Note that My Three Sons lasted for 12 years, the second longest live action sitcom run. Part of that was due to the reset of the show (it also moved the family from the central US to LA)which kept the show "fresh" (another parallel with TBBT if they move the couples in together). Ironically, it was a top 20 show and was scheduled to be in the 8 PM Saturday slot. However, CBS had another comedy it wanted to put in the Saturday slot, so it moved My Three Sons to 10:00 PM on Monday, a strange place for a family sitcom. It's ratings fell dramatically, leading to it's cancellation at the end of that year . The comedy CBS wanted in the 8 PM Saturday slot? All in the Family. Heheheh, fell dramatically, to give you an idea of how different a time this is, their ratings the year before the final year were 20.8 rating, and they finished in 19th place. Last year, TBBT, the second biggest scripted show averaged about a 10.2 rating.

If you look at both links, you will see that there seems to be a "life" for a comedy series. Ozzie and Harriet ran for 14, My Three Sons for 12, there are quite a few at 10 and 11. So, once a sitcom gets to ten seasons, it's pretty much at the end of it's run. As much crap as Two and a Half Men has got for it's toilette humor, sexual humor, bad writing, etc. If it get renew for next year, it will tie My Three Sons as the second longest running sitcom in American Prime Time at 12 years.

If you think, TBBT has too many actors to concentrate on any one story, My Three Sons had 13 actors in it's final seasons.

I think that TBBT will run at least 10, and depending on if they can pull off another rest, possibly 11-12.

• Like 3

Just as long as they don't go the way of "Scrubs", which ended well after 8 seasons, but should never have produced season 9!   Now there are a whole bunch of things that they could examine for an 8th or even finish a 9th season, that would be over 70 more shows, after 9, in my opinion it will be mostly done.   Personal life changes for the actors may become a factor, let's assume this time Kaley does get married, a child could be coming in the next year or so, just for an example.

I just want to point out that Barbara Eden was pregnant and had a baby in the middle of "I Dream of Jeannie" and you remember the costume she had to wear, so Kaley having a baby would probably not impact the show.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Regarding the number of seasons I was a supporter of 8 seasons total. But already into S7 I don't think they could wrap up things organically until Season 10. I think that is the number the writers have in mind.

• Like 2

I just want to point out that Barbara Eden was pregnant and had a baby in the middle of "I Dream of Jeannie" and you remember the costume she had to wear, so Kaley having a baby would probably not impact the show.

Hell, in another year or so,(say end of season 8, sometime in season 9) it may be written into the show.

Hell, in another year or so,(say end of season 8, sometime in season 9) it may be written into the show.

He, He. I sure hope Kaley isn't reading this stuff, it might upset her to know we are planning her first baby for her.

• Like 2

Regarding the number of seasons I was a supporter of 8 seasons total. But already into S7 I don't think they could wrap up things organically until Season 10. I think that is the number the writers have in mind.

Season 10 is about right. My three Sons and Ozzie and Harriet were family shows. TBBT is not. There's a certain point when they are going to start to look older (3 cast members in their forties) and I can't picture seeing kids(babies) on the show.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1

They could have a season where a student at the University comes up with an invention and the whole season is based on the hell they go thru to get an invention into a patent and then production in a scientific discrimination nation.

Leonard and Penny could have a kid and Sheldon, Amy, and Bernadette advise them on how to raise it.

Then Sheldon and Amy could have sex and a child.

How about all 3 girls experience PMS at the same time.  That episode hasn't been shot yet.

How about an episode where Penny has to enlighten a friend to stop being in an abusive relationship and introduce her to Raj.  Bernadette could explain that a good functional anterior cingulate cortex could analyze the situation to where an abusive boyfriend is bad and a scientist boyfriend is good.  Then they need to play this episode on the Lifetime Network.

Then they could do an episode where they fall asleep at a Star Trek movie and the cast is aboard a Starship doing an episode tribute to Star Trek.

They could also have an episode where Tim Allen and Richard Karn are doing a Tool Time episode and Sheldon and Leonard are guests !!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck Lorre needs to consult with me.   :preved:

Leonard and Penny could have a kid and Sheldon, Amy, and Bernadette advise them on how to raise it.

Chuck Lorre needs to consult with me.   :preved:

You are kidding right about Sheldon advising anyone on how to raise a child --- are we talking about Sheldon the man-child who can needs everyone to take care of him.  As for Bernadette why would you take advise from someone that don't like children or Amy who has no clue either.

I mean Leonard and Penny can take care of themselves without someone having to basically hand hold them through life.

I would like to point out something, it is completely impossible to predict at any point how much longer a t.v. series has left before it ends. No one expected Star Trek TNG to go 7 seasons after the Original Series only lasted three seasons, Voyager probably could have gone 2+ more seasons if it weren't for the expense of filming new episodes, Enterprise was probably expected to go 7 seasons but it fell apart. Even tbbt was really only expecte to last 4ish seasons, but then they got a nice big renewal and they adapted the course of the show so it would go for the long haul (breaking up Leonard and Penny and introducing Amy and Bernadette as regulars). 14 years may be the record for a sitcom run, but part of that has more to do with actors burning out on a show after that long doing it than it does with viewer interest. If the cast and writers are willing to stick around and they can keep the quality where it is TBBT could easily go 14+ seasons.

• Like 1

I am a supporter of 8 seasons total. The show started declining in quality last season and I don't think it will get any better or worse . They should focus on giving the show a good ending  instead of dragging it out until the ratings decline.

Edited by thephantom
  • Like 2