Season 7 Disappointed

Joey Godwin

We are 5 episodes into season 7 and I have to say I get more disappointed with every episode. Sheldon seems to have lost his "Sheldoness" and it seems they are hyper focused on the boy/girl relationship aspect of the  characters lives. It's just not as funny and my hope is they will revive this show from the relationship vortex it's currently lost in. This isn't Friends for god's sake.

• Like 3

Well anyone who has a personal preferance to disliking the relationship aspect of the show is going to have a predisposition into not enjoying Season 7, and that's okay everyone has the right to an opinion. But this is my take on it, what show do you think you have been watching? Yes it has been known for it's science, but it has always been a relationship type show, not as relationship driven as Friend's as you seem to be subtley implying, but a part of their lives. Here's the confusion,  your assuming because they are geek's, and the show is renowned for it's nerdiness, that the show is lost in a relationship vortex, because based on your very vague personal preference, you probably can't see that this show has never been a show about Geek's, but people on the back drop of geek culture. The show is now in it's seventh season. Like I said, in the first three season's the realtionship's were just as much part of the show as they are now, it's just it was more subtle as the science is now, these are character's who are now evolving.

I mean if Sheldon was still geeking out about comic book's e.t.c. It would get old pretty fast, and if Leonard was still moping over Penny, it well get to the point enough is enough. When your in the seventh season you need something too root for or what's the point? Leonard and Penny are the heart of the show, and probably one of the biggest reason's why the show's rating's are so high. As for Sheldon is not Sheldon anymore, I don't exactly agree obviousley you dislike the relationship aspect of the show, so of course your not going to enjoy Sheldon's character development, but I struggle too see where your coming from Season 7 has clearly showed the return of the old Sheldon, Dead Pan, condesending, oblvious e.t.c. It is to the show's advantage that the relationship's progress within the character's, does not change the character's at their core's, it's just a big part of the show now. I have watched since Season One, I think Season 7 is one of the funniest season's in years, back to it's nerdy science best, re discovering it's root's, you have obviousley not seen that, but too say the show is lost in a relationship vortex, but relationship's has alway's been their, it was just diminished slightly due to the focus on Science, now their's more of a balance.

As much as Sheldon like's to think he is supeior and can live to the end of time without anyone's help, eventually he was going to need a mate, if he plans on reproducing lol. So IMO the relationship's of the show aspect in 4,5,6 and now 7 were a neccessary part of evolving the show, I mean as cute as the first three were you just coulden't maintain that premise for ever, change is the only constant.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 8

As much as Sheldon like's to think he is supeior and can live to the end of time without anyone's help, eventually he was going to need a mate, if he plans on reproducing lol. So IMO the relationship's of the show aspect in 4,5,6 and now 7 were a neccessary part of evolving the show, I mean as cute as the first three were you just coulden't maintain that premise for ever, change is the only constant.

Well said, all of it. People (read: critics) like to compare TBBT to Friends, but this paragraph leads me to say what TBBT is not: The Simpsons, where everything is static, no one grows or changes, and nothing substantial ever happens. (Talk about "homeostasis"!) I stopped watching The Simpsons a long, long time ago because I saw even then that it was becoming the same old thing day after day, week after week, year after year. That doesn't hold my interest one iota. Thank God that TBBT isn't like that, otherwise I'd have stopped watching it years ago!

• Like 2

I agree, OP. For the first time in seven seasons, I missed an episode and couldn't care less. Sheldon is an embarrassment, IMO. Character integrity is sacrificed for the sake of advancing relationships. I totally get that people like romance in television, but I wish the romance fanatics would have stayed away from BBT.

• Like 2

Give me a break if it wasent for the relationships evolving, their would be no charcter integrity. Penny for example has matured so much because of her relationship with Leonard. And romance fanatics, its up to the writers this is a show about people, not geeks, the relationships have alway's been their, just less subtle. The characters priorities are changing, theyr'e not teenagers, relationships are a relevant part of their identities. If Sheldon was still single and arrogant, it would get old, to prevent stagnitism the show had to evolve, and I think it would of faded away into oblivion after s3. None of the characters have been compromised due relationships, if anything the shows better then ever, S7 is back to its roots, science is returning.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 8

Like it or not, a television show lives or dies by its ratings. The show has to appeal to the wider audience in order to get those ratings. With the introduction of Amy and Bernadette, and an increased focus on relationships (while not totally sacrificing the science and geek stuff), the producers have hit upon a formula that has made the show the most popular sitcom on television, with viewership in the range of 15-20 million per week (and impressive numbers for repeats, both on CBS and in syndication). That's not going to change simply to accommodate the vocal minority of fans that hate the current relationship-to-science ratio.

Let me be blunt here. You dislike the relationships and want the main focus to be on the science and geek stuff? Too damn bad. As long as the current formula rakes in the viewers (and keeps the show on the air), the producers are going to continue with what works. Either learn to live with it, or don't, but things aren't going to change just to make you happy and soothe your hurt fee-fees.

• Like 5

Give me a break if it wasent for the relatinships evolving, their wld be no charcter integrity. Penny for example has matured so much because of her relationship with Leonard. And romance fanatics, its up to the writers thi Is a show abot pl not geeks, the relatiships have alwy bn their, just less subtle. The charaxters priorrities are changng, theyre not teenagers, relatioships are a relevant part of their identies. If Sheldon was still single and arroagant, it wld get old, to prevent stagnitism the show had to evolve, and I think it would of faded away into oblivion after s3. None of the characters have been compromised due relatioships, if anything the shows better then ever, S7 is back to its roots, science is returning.

I agree 100% with everything you've said in this thread.  Anyone who thinks this show is all about geeks is missing the point.  Above all else, these men are people are trying to navigate their professional and personal lives.  They also are extraordinary in their intelligence and have interests that are not totally mainstream, which both gives them bigger challenges and makes them way more interesting.  The fact that their priorities are shifting from those of 20-somethings to those of 30-somethings is a fact of life, not a flaw of the show.

• Like 4

Like it or not, a television show lives or dies by its ratings. The show has to appeal to the wider audience in order to get those ratings. With the introduction of Amy and Bernadette, and an increased focus on relationships (while not totally sacrificing the science and geek stuff), the producers have hit upon a formula that has made the show the most popular sitcom on television, with viewership in the range of 15-20 million per week (and impressive numbers for repeats, both on CBS and in syndication). That's not going to change simply to accommodate the vocal minority of fans that hate the current relationship-to-science ratio.

Let me be blunt here. You dislike the relationships and want the main focus to be on the science and geek stuff? Too damn bad. As long as the current formula rakes in the viewers (and keeps the show on the air), the producers are going to continue with what works. Either learn to live with it, or don't, but things aren't going to change just to make you happy and soothe your hurt fee-fees.

I think I have mentioned this before,  2 girls and a cup is a popular web clip, but that doesn't make it good.

• Like 2

I think I have mentioned this before,  2 girls and a cup is a popular web clip, but that doesn't make it good.

People watch that once and never want to see it again.  Millions and millions of people tune in each week to watch TBBT.  Evidently the show is doing something right, since people keep returning to watch it.  Not the same as 2 girls and 1 cup.

• Like 8

I'm glad you've mentioned Sheldon's lack of "Sheldon-ness". (And by Sheldon-ness I don't just mean his tendency to make informative and grandiose speeches alone; his mannerisms and behaviour has been very off for me.) I've thought this since season 5, to be honest.

They could still have character development, sustain the show and keep it fresh without characters revolving around relationships and shifting gargantuanly personality-wise. Though I only really find this with Sheldon (I know, I know, those who say Sheldon should be rehabilitated socially. I'm not condemning your views. Just disagreeing.) some core idiosyncracies characters had from the start should always be there, even in the background, to keep some familiarity. I look at Sheldon now and he's a different character, which wouldn't necessarily bother me if he'd gained these new "qualities" whilst keeping the old ones to some degree. It's the silliness. he's silly now. And there is a difference between eccentric (Earlier seasons) and silly (later seasons).

It really is strange... I can't quite put my finger on what exactly is wrong (in my mind) with Sheldon now, but I've gone from loving him to actually finding him annoying. (Good God, I never thought I'd say that. Still love season 1-4 Sheldon though.) I know many say that Sheldon was always annoying, but I never found this until season 5. Now that they've slowly made him more aware of when he's bugging or offending people, it's had the curious effect of making his Sheldon behaviour more... mean spirited in the post season 5 episodes. 

I haven't seen season 7 yet, (UK) but I haven't been looking forward to it particularly because of how disappointing I found seasons 5 and 6. 

The show has always been relationship-attentive, but I feel the balance has been knocked significantly. Whereas it once sat underneath the boys' shenanigans as an emotional plot linking the episodes together, it is now the core for EVERY STORY. 

But that's just what I think.

Hi Willo.  I think you may be happier when you watch season 7 -- Sheldon seems to have a feel of the older Sheldon again so far (to me).  I understand where you're coming from.  While I still enjoy the show, I do miss the old Sheldon and the old humor (especially season 4) that seems to have changed some starting in later season 5.  That's part of the reason I'm enjoying season 7 so much... I hope you feel the same.

• Like 1

People watch that once and never want to see it again.  Millions and millions of people tune in each week to watch TBBT.  Evidently the show is doing something right, since people keep returning to watch it.  Not the same as 2 girls and 1 cup.

Aha, a teachable moment!

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/appeals/appeal-to-popularity/

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/bandwagon/

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I agree, OP. For the first time in seven seasons, I missed an episode and couldn't care less. Sheldon is an embarrassment, IMO. Character integrity is sacrificed for the sake of advancing relationships. I totally get that people like romance in television, but I wish the romance fanatics would have stayed away from BBT.

"The romance fanatics" are not the ones writing the show.

• Like 7

Boy, that's great.  I can't help it that so many people think it's a great show and you do not.  Just because you don't think a show is good doesn't make it true.  Just like we aren't stupid or inferior because we think a show is great that you find not so good.  But hey, great teachable moment.

• Like 2

I'm liking the tone of S7. Its more madcap and funny, I think. I also find I can't so comfortably go back to s1-3. When I do, I want Howard to be less of a creep, Leonard to be less stupid, Raj less the mime, Penny less isolated and... maybe I did prefer a colder, more clinical Sheldon, but he is still funny as now. Also, the teenage hijinks pale after a while. Season 4 gave the show a dramatic grounding that made everything more consequential. That gave it more meat and less froth. Now, when they serve up froth its a contrast to the Grand Guignol we once got and thats fine. Contrasts are good. Perhaps I moved along with the show. But I do want to see the savant stuff. And we seem to be getting that, in flashes.

• Like 6

I thought episode 5 was the weakest episode so far this year.  However, I have found the others, especially 3 & 4 to be very good.  I do not see that they have overly focused on the boyfriend/girlfriend stories anymore than they have before.  The fact that of the seven main characters, six are in relationships.  H/B are married, then you have L/P & Shamy which means that this is part of the story.  As for Sheldon, I do not see a whole lot of change.  In most of the episodes this season, he is still the arrogant pain in the rear that he always is.

Lots of hurt fee-fees in this thread, but it certainly isn't from the OP.

Unfortunately, hurt feelings are to be expected in a thread whose premise is negative and inviting complaints.  That's why I usually avoid threads like this, though I ducked into this one just to try to say something positive.  I love the show and if I ever get to a point at which I don't love it, I will stop watching  and STFU about it. Just sayin' that's what I will do if it happens.  :girldance:

• Like 5

That's why I usually avoid threads like this, though I ducked into this one just to try to say something positive.  I love the show and if I ever get to a point at which I don't love it, I will stop watching  and STFU about it. Just sayin' that's what I will do if it happens.  :girldance:

Thats the best thing to do. I think I'm of like mind. If you stop liking TBBT, find something else you do like, to focus on and channel your energy in a positive direction. Wow, thats sounds so new-agey. Anyway, some people feel the need to rant about things beyond their control. Hence forums on the interweb.

• Like 2

Tbh if the show was still like it was in the first three season's it woulden't be as good as it is now. People not liking the relationship aspect of the show, is unrealistic the priorities of these character's are changing, these are not geek's anymore, they are all turning into people. Leonard and Penny are in a solid relationship, Howard and Bernadette Married, Sheldon and Amy progression e.t.c. It's where the show is at, so of course most of the storyline's well be centric to that. TBH it would be disengenious to the show and the fans, if the show did not change at all from it's initial premise from the first three season's.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Exactly, the bottom line is if Season 7 Sheldon was the same as Season 1 Sheldon, Sheldon would need major help (as would the show and the writers). Sheldon in the beginning was a child, he has to grow up, and that includes hitting puberty. If nothing changed, TBBT would be like the Simpsons that someone upstream complained about. For the Simpsons that's okay. It's a cartoon. As far as we know, the whole 25 seasons has taken place over only 1 "Simpson" year.

We are 5 episodes into season 7 and I have to say I get more disappointed with every episode. Sheldon seems to have lost his "Sheldoness" and it seems they are hyper focused on the boy/girl relationship aspect of the  characters lives. It's just not as funny and my hope is they will revive this show from the relationship vortex it's currently lost in. This isn't Friends for god's sake.

No it is just taking on a scientist's version of friends.

Personally I could never stand that show cuz the characters they played were all too dumb for me to relate to any of them.

None of the women were that hot either.

They should have an episode where Howard tries to patent something and just how appreciative the American economy treats inventors !!!

Personally I could never stand that show cuz the characters they played were all too dumb for me to relate to any of them.

They should have an episode where Howard tries to patent something and just how appreciative the American economy treats inventors !!!

Too Dumb? Sorry big Friends fan here haha, the show was more about cohesion was a very relationship driven show, the characters werent dumb, well Joey was at times but he was more dumb witted, it was part of his charm and his character. Chandler worked in statistical reconfiguration, so he clearly wasent dumb. They were all smart, emotionally independent people, the show was about when your 20 something living in NY your friends are your family, it was a time in your life where everything is possible, and that concept was universal. None of the women were hot your kidding right? Jennifer Aniston considered the hottest women of the 90's? You must have really high standards lol. Friends to me is prob one of the greatest comedies ever, and as good as TBBT is only exists because of Friends, same with HIMYM and MF. None of the characters in Friends were dumb, they were actually more relatable then BBT, they all had traits you could relate too, and the situations they got them self into was very relatable universally, where as not everyone who watches TBBT is a Physicist. 

Because, of course, the only thing that makes a show worth watching is if the women are hot...

Are you the one who started that thread about inventors, etc?  Who gives a frickety-frack?  This isn't a tutorial about inventors and the American patent office.  Save that for a documentary for PBS or CNN or something.

And, really, there was nothing wrong with Friends--it was a show about a particular set of "FRIENDS"--hence the name.  Whether or not they were smart or dumb was part of who the characters were, along with whatever other traits they had.

With TBBT, it's also about a particular group of friends and how they navigate life--and yes, love.  Their issues are sometimes the same as those of the characters on Friends, mostly because we're all human beings, and sometimes their issues are different, because of their hobbies, interests, careers, and their individual personality quirks.

Edited by phantagrae