The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gwhh

Penny Gives Up Being An Actress-What Job Should She Take Up Full Time?

Stripper, trophy wife, hooker, and stay-at-home mom seem to be the biggest contenders, huh?

The blatant sexism in this thread is nauseating.

• Like 1

Penny has a lot more to offer then just the sterotypical notion of what she should be doing, really sexist posts in this thread. I think she should give acting one last shot, doesen't work our, then fashion I reckon.

• Like 1

She should consider being an full time house wife and enjoy with Leonard :p

What century is this? That's not a career, nor is it something she'd ever want.

What century is this? That's not a career, nor is it something she'd ever want.

Do you realize how insulting this sounds to woman who want to be housewives and mothers, which happens to be the occupation of over half the married woman in the world. A career woman is still a minority in this world.

• Like 1

Do you realize how insulting this sounds to woman who want to be housewives and mothers, which happens to be the occupation of over half the married woman in the world. A career woman is still a minority in this world.

No, it's not. More than half the workforce is composed of women, same goes for universities. Many wives out-earn their husbands. 

Women work, this ain't the 50s. Though even then about 25-33% of women had jobs outside the home, though it wasn't portrayed that way. As for Penny, she'd rightfully be bored and completely unfulfilled to be stuck at home all day. I know this goes back to wanting to see her dependent on Leonard, which I am vehemently against. 

Edited by DaisyJane

No, it's not. More than half the workforce is composed of women, same goes for universities. Many wives out-earn their husbands. 

Women work, this ain't the 50s. Though even then about 25-33% of women had jobs outside the home, though it wasn't portrayed that way. As for Penny, she'd rightfully be bored and completely unfulfilled to be stuck at home all day. I know this goes back to wanting to see her dependent on Leonard, which I am vehemently against.

Actually in this world SRAM may be right. But the only skills she has at this point is waitressing and acting. As it's been pointed out she's a junior college dropout. It's hard to picture what kind of work she is going to do.

We are not talking about the same thing. Many housewives work outside the home at jobs that are not careers. They are usually part time and worked for necessity, not choice. Penny could become a successful actress then hire a nanny to take of her children, she would not be a housewife.

We are not talking about the same thing. Many housewives work outside the home at jobs that are not careers. They are usually part time and worked for necessity, not choice. Penny could become a successful actress then hire a nanny to take of her children, she would not be a housewife.

Sexism and gender discrimination is not about being a house wife or a stay at home mom, It is the idea or notion that a women, because of her gender, must be or is only qualified to be a house wife or stay at home mother. 

For example, it is not sexism for a women to cook dinner for her husband every night, If a women enjoys cooking and her husband loves it then its a great set up. But for a man to say she must do the cooking because "she's the wife and that's her job, etc." than that would be sexist.

The problem with this thread is many of the posters are saying Penny should be in these gender stereotype roles because she has no other qualities, and that is sexist. If Penny has shown any interest in being a house wife or stay at home wife then by all means, she should. The notion should be justified by showing she has a desire to be and enjoys managing a household. However we have never seen her show any interest in either and to say she should be based off her gender or "lack of qualities", then yes it is sexist.

Actually in this world SRAM may be right. But the only skills she has at this point is waitressing and acting. As it's been pointed out she's a junior college dropout. It's hard to picture what kind of work she is going to do.

No, it really isn't. All that's needed is a little bit of basic thought. If you can picture her a housewife, stripper, hooker, stay-at-home mom, or any of the other sexist suggestions that have been proposed, you can picture her in a respectable profession. Many of which she could get with or without a degree, so that isn't an excuse. 

Edited by DaisyJane

No, it really isn't. All that's needed is a little bit of basic thought. If you can picture her a housewife, stripper, hooker, stay-at-home, or any of the other sexist suggestions that have been proposed, you can picture her in a respectable profession. Many of which she could get with or without a degree, so that isn't an excuse.

But it took 10 years to decide to go in 100% to be an actress. It's been pointed out in the show that she can be lazy.(remember the episode of finding out what her passion was). I think most of those "sexist" jobs were suggested because of how she looks and not involving hard work. It's not just a little bit of basic thought but a little bit of basic effort that she needs.

But it took 10 years to decide to go in 100% to be an actress. It's been pointed out in the show that she can be lazy.(remember the episode of finding out what her passion was). I think most of those "sexist" jobs were suggested because of how she looks and not involving hard work. It's not just a little bit of basic thought but a little bit of basic effort that she needs.

No, they were suggested out of pure misogyny, no thought behind them whatsoever. Penny is not lazy, she's been in the workforce her entire adult life. She'd been going to as many auditions as she can with her schedule. I know you stick up your nose at her former job as a waitress those who've done will tell you it is very grueling work. Your basing that premise off of her not having passion the way the guys do for television and because she wasn't gutsy enoug h to quit until now.

Edited by DaisyJane

I don't think she has ever thought of doing anything else but being an actress, in the show.  Even when they reference her going to school, she never says anything about a major.  She was a waitress to be able to live in the area where there are the most actress jobs and all she has let us know is she wants to be an actress.  It will be interesting how they handle her when it becomes obvious she shouldn't have any money left.

I'd love that, but I think that doesn't fit with her character :D

She would earn more than working at the CHessecake Factory, plus the knowledge gained could be experience for other roles.

Think of it Myim Bialik was considered for the show cuz of her college education background.

Penny could be a "lab-assistant" and be able to take on an acting role which she knew what re-sequencing nucleotide sequences were about.

I don't think being a stay at home is sexist at all if that is what she decided she wanted to do in future.    If acting is truly her passion for life than she should continue to pursue it, but she will need to do something in the meantime to make ends meet unless she chooses to become even more of a moocher and live off Leonard, and her friends giving her rent money and/or paying for her meals all the time.  They already established way back that Penny doesn't really like taking money from her friends when she had to borrow money from Sheldon's snake can.  She wants to be independent woman and be able to support herself, but in order to that she needs a good job and she never really liked being a waitress so they should either show her going out on interviews and finding a new job or going out on acting auditions something.  But to just continue to ignore the fact that currently Penny is unemployed, yet still managing to stay in her apartment which means she'd have to still be paying rent realistically and pay for electricity, food and alcohol which we still see available is just poor planning and writing.  Now maybe she has money saved up from her last acting gig that got cut from screen, but it still should run out pretty soon.

Edited by Superlovelexi

I don't think being a stay at home is sexist at all if that is what she decided she wanted to do in future.    If acting is truly her passion for life than she should continue to pursue it, but she will need to do something in the meantime to make ends meet unless she chooses to become even more of a moocher and live off Leonard, and her friends giving her rent money and/or paying for her meals all the time.  They already established way back that Penny doesn't really like taking money from her friends when she had to borrow money from Sheldon's snake can.  She wants to be independent woman and be able to support herself, but in order to that she needs a good job and she never really liked being a waitress so they should either show her going out on interviews and finding a new job or going out on acting auditions something.  But to just continue to ignore the fact that currently Penny is unemployed, yet still managing to stay in her apartment which means she'd have to still be paying rent realistically and pay for electricity, food and alcohol which we still see available is just poor planning and writing.  Now maybe she has money saved up from her last acting gig that got cut from screen, but it still should run out pretty soon.

They've already established that she's going to auditions. She is an independent woman, which is why it would go against everything her character is about to become a SAHM and thus be dependent on Leonard. 

Well I haven't seen them establish that really, if they mentioned it in passing that doesn't count at all to me.  I would like to actually SEE her out on those auditions, see her in that environment at a studio waiting to audition, giving her audition and getting feedback on it.  See her talking to other actors and actresses, see her actually get a real acting job again not just hanging around the apartments drinking all the time or taking care of Raj's pet dog or out hanging with the girls.   I don't want her to just be dependent on Leonard any more than she already has been in the past or be a housewife just to be a housewife, but I also don't think if she became a stay at home mom some day that suddenly makes her less of a woman or that its sexist or anything like that if its what she truly wanted to do at that time, if not then find let her work hard like the rest of us to pursue her career goals it doesn't make her better than any good stay at home mom out there just chose a different path.  I really just don't want to see her return to the Cheesecake factory as a waitress again that would be redundant and make this whole quitting thing to pursue acting look like a joke.  I'd like the writers to move her character forward some in her career and show her working more and drinking less.  Lately they've been making Penny look more like a lazy out of work alcoholic, especially in the V-day episode all she did was drink, have sex and take Raj's dog to the vet that is not working, that is not showing her on auditions.  If acting is really her true dream I like to see on screen her pursuing it not off camera supposedly she's auditioning that is nothing if nothing real comes out it, its just a joke and its not really being taking seriously Penny as an independent woman or actress at all.  Even Leonard thinks its a long shot she'll ever be successful at acting, he just tries to be nice to her about it so she won't dump him for not believing in her.   It may realistically take a lot time for people to make it in the industry, but at least show her out there doing it and failing at it, anything is better than more drinking jokes and sex jokes and random hanging out in the apartment discussing relationship stuff jokes none of that is actually showing Penny WORKING TO MAKE MONEY!  She isn't working at Cheesecake factory anymore cause she quit that is all we really know about her current career status.  Now if in future episode she actually lands a job acting then good for her its better than nothing and us just pretending like she can afford to live without working like everyone else is on the show.   Even if she went to work at Stuart's comic book shop and help him get more customers that would at least be something.

Edited by Superlovelexi

I think she would do well as psychologist or counselor  However, I also think that she would make a good teacher and coach. 

• Like 2

I think she would do well as psychologist or counselor  However, I also think that she would make a good teacher and coach.

Totally agree OldNavy. Is she not taking a class in psychology at present? The empathetic skills required for acting transfer well to counseling, it's quite a common trajectory actually.

DaisyJane, I gave up my career to raise my children. Personally, I see no point having children in order to hand them over to daycare or a nanny. However, that is the beauty of third generation feminism is it not? The idea of choice. It was my choice. I'm lucky my husband chose to support me in my choice. I work part-time during school hours, it means I can pay a cleaner rather than do housework; again, my choice. The cleaner is a guy by the way, just thought I'd throw that in. ;)

• Like 3

Lately they've been making Penny look more like a lazy out of work alcoholic, especially in the V-day episode all she did was drink, have sex and take Raj's dog to the vet that is not working, that is not showing her on auditions.

To be fair, all they showed of Leonard in the Valentine's Day episode was for him to drink, have sex, and take care of Raj's dog.

As for how Penny is living, with what she got from the NCIS gig, and any pay due her from TCF, she could scrape by for as long as six weeks (there are a lot of assumptions there, but it is quite possible). There have been four shows since she quit, so in show time, she still has a couple more shows before running completely out of money, and even then, she could still have a month in the apartment, if she pays her rent.

In regards to Penny auditioning, they are not going to waste a quarter of the show having her do auditions onscreen. They can take care of that in one to three sentences, as they did in "The Table Polarization". Have Leonard ask, have Penny answer. 30 seconds and they are free to move to other things.

• Like 2

Tensor, just out of interest, what is SAG minimum nowadays?

Tensor, just out of interest, what is SAG minimum nowadays?

It depends for television:

Background       $159 Per day (all those people in the cafeteria or eating in The Cheesecake Factory)

Day                    $889

Three Day          $2248

Weekly               $3083

There are rates for Stunt-persons, singers, special talent background, etc.  There are also special rates for Producers who signed agreements with SAG before March of 2012.  Then there are other rates for hour or hour and a half programs, reruns ($2248) etc.    But I think the above is pretty much what someone working on a weekly series this season could expect to make.  

So, for a weekly gig on NCIS, Penny would have made about four weeks worth of waitressing (that's based on employment ad for the Cheesecake factory in southern California).  About two months rent, based on apartments in Pasadena. 

• Like 1

Tensor,

She was only in one scene in one location with under 5 lines. On a show like CSI, would they give her a full weeks pay for that?

Tensor,

She was only in one scene in one location with under 5 lines. On a show like CSI, would they give her a full weeks pay for that?

Depends. If she has lines, she has to have been at the table read. Then blocking and rehearsal, camera set up, taping, plus anything else. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, one hour dramas can take up to two weeks to cycle through (it's usually less, but two weeks can and does happen). I can see her getting at least weekly pay once and possibly up to another week. More likely, if really needed, it would be another day or three day spot.

• Like 1