The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guitars1964

Audience Laughter

Well, I did not say that absolutely tbbt used "placed" laughters. I was just wondering because this is a discussion about the laughter.  They probably don't and I believe Bill Prady, but when he said they did not sweeten the laughter, he may have only meant that they did not add canned laughter, there may still place "laughers" in the audience.   I am not saying that for a fact, just something that is possible.  They probably don't.  

I did not mean that the placed laughers were not much help all the time, just that if a joke was really bad, it would not help then.  Apprently it works well or shows would not hire them at all.  It may be something outdated now, though, I did see something about it a few months ago, but I forget what show it was.  The fact is that many shows used them in the 70s and before and even some shows still do.   So, it must work.  Again, I'm not saying tbbt uses them, but some shows do.

It just seemed like you were as you were as you were trying to find alternate interpretation for statements. i.e. "he may only have meant", or implying they did, by explaining how other shows add them and not explaining your precise meaning when asked. I'm just trying to understand exactly what you mean by your statements.

From that article: With competition fiercer than ever for the few prime-time comedy slots still available, it seems network executives are eager for any advantage they can get.

It's not like TBBT needs any advantage. Since the closest comedy show is over 1.5 demo points and almost 6 million viewers behind it. The closest comedy show, with a live audience, is almost 2.5 demo points and 5 million viewers behind.

• Like 1

Why is it that people have such a hard time believing that the show simply records the laughter of the people sitting there at the taping?

Why do people think that they'd need to enhance the laughter in any way?

It's not as if the show isn't funny. And when you're in an audience experiencing something together, like at a funny movie or play, the shared reaction can be contagious, so it's natural tht the audience reaction might be "greater" than how an individual might react at home.

But I find myself laughing out loud just like the audience, so I have no trouble believing that what we hear is genuine.

• Like 1

It just seemed like you were as you were as you were trying to find alternate interpretation for statements. i.e. "he may only have meant", or implying they did, by explaining how other shows add them and not explaining your precise meaning when asked. I'm just trying to understand exactly what you mean by your statements.

From that article: With competition fiercer than ever for the few prime-time comedy slots still available, it seems network executives are eager for any advantage they can get.

It's not like TBBT needs any advantage. Since the closest comedy show is over 1.5 demo points and almost 6 million viewers behind it. The closest comedy show, with a live audience, is almost 2.5 demo points and 5 million viewers behind.

As many who have read my posts here, and other sights, know is that when in conversation I suppose many things.  When a topic is suggested I put my two cents in and add what I think could be.  Now, unless I say that I know something as fact and/or give evidence, it is merely speculative.  I honestly did not mean to even minutely suggest that tbbt's producers employed hired laugers.  But when discussing a topic, I offer what can be possible.  I actually believe the tbbt does not use hired laughers.  I see no evidence of it based on people here that have posted their experiences and I believe the producers when they say they do not "sweeten" the laugher--and i take that to mean that they do not use canned laughter and do not use professional laughers.

But in this discussion I was only pointing out that some shows use hired laughers and since this is a tbbt forum, that maybe the producers employed that tactic.  I think it is topical.  I apologize too all if I was coming off as being negative.

But in this discussion I was only pointing out that some shows use hired laughers and since this is a tbbt forum, that maybe the producers employed that tactic.  I think it is topical.  I apologize too all if I was coming off as being negative.

You weren't negative at all. I was just trying to clear up in my mind exactly what you meant. You did that, thanks.

I do tend to get long winded in my posts.  But I guess that is the writer in me!

I try to save my long windedness for my fan fic. :)

I have heard in interviews that they never use canned laughter and that the audience reacts immediately to what happens. I believe Kaley even said that's one of the best parts of the show. I'm sure they even show the audience the pre filmed stuff to get the laughter for that. I highly doubt they recycle any of the laughter or in some way encourage the audience to react a certain way.

Case point, in the episode where Bernie accepts Howard's proposal, there wasn't a massive reaction which you would expect for a moment like that in a sitcom. The directors could easily have put in a better sounding reaction, but they didn't and went with what they got. A lot of shows wouldn't have done that.

... or in some way encourage the audience to react a certain way.

Actually, they do. There are times when they ask the audience to tone down their reactions. If you've seen the gag reel for season six, there is one clip of Johnny getting frustrated with the audience because they kept saying awwwwwwwww, and he had trouble getting his line out. The audience was told to hold their awwwwwwws

Oh really. Fair enough.

While they do ask them, on occasion, to tone it down, they don't ask them to increase their reactions. The writers use the audience reactions to gauge how the jokes are going. Silence or weak laughter will cause the writers to rewrite the particular line, to get a bigger laugh.