The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.09 "the Thanksgiving Decoupling" (November 21)

Your Episode Rating  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

That WKRP episode is still considered one of the greatest in US sitcom history.

Yes! Sitcoms of yesteryear were so much better. Most of them today seem so contrived and forced with little that is actually funny. TBBT is the only sitcom that I watch. And it is one of only 4 current shows that I watch, if it wasn't for netflix, I wouldn't hardly ever turn on my TV.

I was distracted by Amy's horrible dress.  Loved Mayim's facial expression walking to get that beer.  You know she brought them some............

I also love the way Jim delivered the pigskin line in the tag.  When I read it, it wasn't close to that.  It was magic.

Edited by notchinc

A pretty funny episode even if the premise of the "A" plot was wildly unlikely. Continuity on TBBT has not been a strong point this season.  Penny, in the season 5 finale, was the expert on quicky weddings. Not only did she know about the ins and outs of Vegas weddings but also about getting married in a piercing parlor and she was the one who got the group ordained to legally perform the Howardette nuptials. The writers, once again, emptied Penny's brain like they did with her not being able to use a glue gun despite having a business in season 2 making "Penny Blossoms".

This episode used one of the oldest tropes in TV sitcoms, the unintentional marriage (the variation is the long time marriage that turns out to be invalid) so even if it is far fetched, its a well traveled path. Knowing how TBBT telegraphs a status shift before it happens, there should be some major development ahead for Leonard and Penny this season.      

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

And, I really liked seeing Zach again.  He was funny as always.  I kept expecting a "hoo" from Amy when she saw him, LOL.

I could have sworn I heard her do a "hoo" when she heard his name mentioned but will have to watch again.

Very funny episode.  While the premise of the "fake" wedding was kinda silly, Lenny was cute at the end.

And that smack and Amy's face was great.

Solid episode...

A pretty funny episode even if the premise of the "A" plot was wildly unlikely. Continuity on TBBT has not been a strong point this season.  Penny, in the season 5 finale, was the expert on quicky weddings. Not only did she know about the ins and outs of Vegas weddings but also about getting married in tattoo parlors and she was the one who got the group ordained to legally perform the Howardette nuptials. The writers, once again, emptied Penny's brain like they did with her not being able to use a glue gun despite having a business in season 2 making "Penny Blossoms".

This episode used one of the oldest troupes in TV sitcoms, the unintentional marriage (the variation is the long time marriage that turns out to be invalid) so  even if it is far fetched, its a well traveled path. Knowing how TBBT telegraphs a status shift before it happens, there should be some major development ahead for Leonard and Penny this season.

I difenitely heard Amy squeal HOO when Zack's name was mentioned. I laughed out load when I heard it.

Sheldon talking football has always been great for me...doesn't matter if you're a genius, you're a Texas boy, and that's how we do it 'round here ;)

Zack's return was great, even though it was sort of a stretch (like Bazingafan said) for Penny to be that dense about getting married in Vegas...still, it added to the plot line and ultimately got Penny and Leonard closer together, like they always do and how it should be. 

Raj's gravy, Howard's always hilarious interaction with his mom & Bernadette and her marshmallows totally brought it (so did Mr. Rostenkowski!), but just from the previews alone, I knew the ensemble would be amazing. I loved every second of this episode. 

Of course, we must talk the Shamy butt slap. I don't know who's face I enjoyed more after Sheldon let Amy have it: Mr. Rostenkowski's :O face, Sheldon's knowing smirk and nod as he watched Amy walk away, or Amy's priceless grin. Yes to all! 

Maybe I'm just full of feels right now, but out of all the great LOL moments on the show, I think the best part was Bernie's dad cracking open a beer, handing it to Sheldon and saying, "To your dad." What a great way to get us ready for next week and to appreciate our families. Loved this episode!

Edited by tx-fictionqueen
  • Like 1

My goodness. I'm awaiting the tag scene but I REALLY enjoyed this episode! A great way to end my day.

• Like 2

I totally called the Elvis impersonator officiating at the wedding!

I can see that Penny would know that people get married in Vegas, but not recognize a cheesy wedding chapel with Elvis as being real.  She knows people who got married in Vegas, she didn't say she'd attended any of those weddings.  Plus she had been drinking, so..

One thing I noticed while re-watching--the real continuity error is that Sheldon tells Mike that his father died when he was 14.  In The Pancake Batter Anomaly, which just aired last night on TBS, he tells Penny about when he was in Germany when he was 15 and his mom had to fly back home to Texas to help his father with the house because it has slipped off the cinderblocks again.

At any rate, I loved it.  Lots of great lines, everybody was great.

• Like 2

Love it when Sheldon said in responsive to penny marriage and lack of sex. And he says this penny we are talking about.

Wow, excellent episode, loved it alot.

just two things that did not work for me

- Sheldon's burp . I can understand that it happened, I just think it did not came out right (pun intended)

- Howards Mom, the random comments shouted from upstairs didn't add anything imho. But I guess that had to use her somehow this episode?

Seriousley your so consistent, their are actually some who are really enjoying Season 7, your in the minority far as I am concerned. 

I know i'm in a minority an am quite happy to be there. Thank you for the compliment, consistency is good is it not. This episode was not the worst of S7.

Nice recovery from last week's less inspired episode.  Sheldon was great tonight - he's a funny drunk.  The bathroom clowns was great material. Liked seeing Zack make a return appearance - he really is funny.  You can't not like him.  Bernie's father was good and seeing him and Sheldon get a drunk on was entertaining.  

Sometimes I almost want to scream at Leonard to tell Penny to take a flying leap.  She really can be a be-atch with him.  Let's face it, if it had been Leonard that had done a quickie Las Vegas wedding, she would have been all over him about doing a stupid move.  But Leonard is actually quite restrained when he finds out.  Good thing Leonard is as patient as he is - he's gonna need it.

• Like 2

Nice recovery from last week's less inspired episode.  Sheldon was great tonight - he's a funny drunk.  The bathroom clowns was great material. Liked seeing Zack make a return appearance - he really is funny.  You can't not like him.  Bernie's father was good and seeing him and Sheldon get a drunk on was entertaining.  

Sometimes I almost want to scream at Leonard to tell Penny to take a flying leap.  She really can be a be-atch with him.  Let's face it, if it had been Leonard that had done a quickie Las Vegas wedding, she would have been all over him about doing a stupid move.  But Leonard is actually quite restrained when he finds out.  Good thing Leonard is as patient as he is - he's gonna need it.

I'm sorry, but I think Leonard was more in the wrong than Penny was.  He was a nagging pain.  I don't hate him for it--it's consistent with his personality, that he can't let things go.  But Penny was right in that he always does stuff like that.

She made a silly mistake, but it's not like she did it on purpose.  But he acted as if she'd done it on purpose.  He didn't have to look up the papers that day.  He could just as easily have waited until after the holidays to look up the forms, but he had to keep nagging her about making sure that she gets it taken care of "right away", and then he gets mad when she calls Zack and tells him to come and sign the papers "right away".

He could have joked about it, instead of nagging her about it.  It could have been funny between them, especially since Zack is so dumb, but he had to keep after her.

And then he tries to paint himself as a victim.

At any rate, it was a short-lived spat and neither of them needs to be dumped over it.

I'm sorry, but I think Leonard was more in the wrong than Penny was.  He was a nagging pain.  I don't hate him for it--it's consistent with his personality, that he can't let things go.  But Penny was right in that he always does stuff like that.

She made a silly mistake, but it's not like she did it on purpose.  But he acted as if she'd done it on purpose.  He didn't have to look up the papers that day.  He could just as easily have waited until after the holidays to look up the forms, but he had to keep nagging her about making sure that she gets it taken care of "right away", and then he gets mad when she calls Zack and tells him to come and sign the papers "right away".

He could have joked about it, instead of nagging her about it.  It could have been funny between them, especially since Zack is so dumb, but he had to keep after her.

And then he tries to paint himself as a victim.

At any rate, it was a short-lived spat and neither of them needs to be dumped over it.

More wrong than Penny? What she did wasn't silly it was stupid. If anything she should have been begging for forgiveness. Did Leonard overreact? Yes but Penny was in no position to complain about it. she needed to shut up and take all the nagging. If the roles were reversed would Penny have joked about it? Penny's my favorite but she screwed up this time.
  • Like 6

More wrong than Penny? What she did wasn't silly it was stupid. If anything she should have been begging for forgiveness. Did Leonard overreact? Yes but Penny was in no position to complain about it. she needed to shut up and take all the nagging. If the roles were reversed would Penny have joked about it? Penny's my favorite but she screwed up this time.

I don't think Leonard overreacted at all, but Penny's mistake was insane! Although, she is the type of character that doesn't like being looked down on, chastised, by anyone, especially by Leonard. She is quick to take his criticism as "he thinks he's better than me just because he's smarter than me" and that's always how it's been. They sort of balance each other out in that aspect, as they both have their moments when one is more reasonable than the other. 

As someone mentioned above, Leonard's reaction was actually very measured for his usual self. In Penny's defense though, I don't think she was angry with Leonard as much as she was conveying frustration with herself. Her state of mind all episode was, "I can't believe I made this monumental mistake, can I have two seconds to myself to think about it before you jump down my throat?" and that's why she came off as cross with him. 

Either way, tonight is just another example of TBBT writers making light of what can be seen in the real world as a really big deal. And in 30 minutes (including commercials), the problem was "solved" i.e. annulled. And in 2 weeks, it'll be like it never happened lol. 

Edited by tx-fictionqueen
  • Like 5

I enjoyed the episode even though I think the Vegas wedding story was dumb. The cast  turned a sow's ear into something like a purse. Perhaps that is not fair.  Other than Vegas story the writers did a good job. Anyway I think the entire cast pulled off the episode very well.

Edited by djsurrey

http://lasvegasinsideout.com/cosmopolitian/2012/2/6/have-a-fake-wedding-on-the-strip.html

Why should she ask forgiveness?  She admitted she'd made a mistake, but it's not as if she BETRAYED!!! Leonard.  Why should she take the nagging?  Why does Leonard have to nag her about it?  Is it going to make the marriage disappear sooner?

Bugging her about it while they were supposed to be having a nice dinner wasn't going to make it go away.  And it's not as if she had been refusing or hesitant about getting it taken care of.  I do think that she was feeling put upon--she knew she'd made a mistake and the others thought she was stupid for doing it, Sheldon was making fun of her, and so was Amy, to a degree, and then Leonard nagging her about getting it taken care of.

And again, it's not as if she did it on purpose, or did it while they were together, or said she wasn't going to get it taken care of.  But Leonard doesn't trust her to do that, but has to make sure he's got all the forms--and he has to tell her RIGHT AWAY, rather than just waiting until after the dinner.  He was so fixated on it that he had to look up all the paperwork while they were supposed to be enjoying the dinner party.

That's what I mean.  I don't think he was really that angry with her, but he couldn't see that his continual poking at her about it was bugging her.  Couples fight like that over smaller issues.

He certainly should have understood why she was getting fed up with him.

• Like 2

I

Either way, tonight is just another example of TBBT writers making light of what can be seen in the real world as a really big deal. And in 30 minutes (including commercials), the problem was "solved" i.e. annulled. And in 2 weeks, it'll be like it never happened lol.

I agreed it was "temporarily" solved in 30 minutes. although it seems to me it will have to be brought in the future if L/P ever do get engaged.

Where I live I got pelted with rain all day. The rain had finally subsided just as I got pelted again, but this time with some great comedy on the BBT. Sheldon nailed it tonight! At first I thought it was kind of dumb of him saying that he would rather be happy having a lousy Thanksgiving with Leonard at home cooking, but I see that was just a precursor for what was to come. This episode was a complete turnaround from last week's.  We had Zack back, We had Mrs Wolowitz, THEN, Sheldon and Mr Bernie's dad talking football, bonding and getting drunk together. HILARIOUS! Poor Howard though, he just can't connect with his father in law.

Anyways, I'll check back here in the next day or so to read some of the worst episode ever comments, but hopefully not. Other than that I wish you all a Happy and safe Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

I really did love this episode.  It's one of the funnier ones this season.  The jokes were great, and so was the acting.  I especially thought Raj's facial expression after he said "the plot thickens" as he slowly faded into the kitchen was hilarious.  And of course Amy was great at the end, so shy even when he said "Ain't she great?" before he smacked her behind.

I never noticed how tall Zack is!  He's gotta be, what 6'5" or so?

• Like 4