The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.10 "the Discovery Dissipation" (December 5)

Your Episode Rating  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Hmm.. They didn't show next week's promo? I wonder if there is something they don't want us to know about the episode that they're keeping secret?...

Considering it was shot in four different segments, there is more than likely a lot of editing and work in post.  They probably haven't finalized the episode yet, and so, don't have clips available yet.

• Like 1

In the episode where Sheldon published the falsified data and his conclusions about the North Pole data,  while he had to retract it he had not  yet received any kind of  public acclaim.   Not quite the same as here.

He never published the data, he just told everybody back at the university that his research was successful and he solved String Theory.  That is what was so unethical about it, you never claim something big like that until you have proof postive.  Two times come to mind in the last couple of decades, the Americans who said they had discovered cold fusion and the Korean scientist that made some claims about cloning.  Both claimed their discoveries before they could prove their work and when it came to prove it, they were disgraced.  That is why the guys brought his original data back so he put together what really happened for his work, that stuffs happens all the time, theorys don't work out, he even told Leonard that the original data did not support his theory.

• Like 1

I thought the episode was o.k.  It was not the best one of the year but also not the worst.  I liked seeing Leonard's success even though it disproved Sheldon's theory.  With his disproving the experiment in China and his work with Hawking, I really think that they are setting Leonard up to get the tenure position.  He seems to be samry, hard working and respected scientist. 

Overall, a good episode but not my favorite.

It was a good episode, but not great at all.

I just feel sad for Sheldon & Amy in this episode.

I feel bad for Sheldon because, once again, he is robbed of a break through in his work, and that Leonard did not understand why Sheldon was up set about.

I was glad to see that Penny did understood it.

And poor Amy, getting no credits from Sheldon to help him get over it, when Sheldon just thanked Will, and not Amy.

He never published the data, he just told everybody back at the university that his research was successful and he solved String Theory.  That is what was so unethical about it, you never claim something big like that until you have proof postive.  Two times come to mind in the last couple of decades, the Americans who said they had discovered cold fusion and the Korean scientist that made some claims about cloning.  Both claimed their discoveries before they could prove their work and when it came to prove it, they were disgraced.  That is why the guys brought his original data back so he put together what really happened for his work, that stuffs happens all the time, theorys don't work out, he even told Leonard that the original data did not support his theory.

There was the neutrino faster than light thing a couple years ago also.

I feel bad for Sheldon because, once again, he is robbed of a break through in his work, and that Leonard did not understand why Sheldon was up set about.

And poor Amy, getting no credits from Sheldon to help him get over it, when Sheldon just thanked Will, and not Amy.

Well, to be honest, if someone I knew was complaining about a problem for weeks, and I did something that would have fixed the problem, I wouldn't understand why they would be upset because I fixed their problem.

• Like 2

I don't feel sorry for  Sheldon all he did was whiny and whiny about the discovery of the element and then Leonard goes out of his way to try and help and all he gets is more whining from Sheldon. 

I am sick of Leonard helping people out and all he gets crap from those people and top it off none of them have the ba!!s to say thank you for the help.

• Like 1

How did he get robbed? Sheldon screwed things up alll on his own. Penny really didn't understand Sheldon. She gave a different and somewhat logical point of view of what he could be feeling but that wasn't the problem. Leonard didn't understand Sheldon because Sheldon didn't understand Sheldon. I'm not sure why you are feeling sorry for Amy. She was doing the same thing as Leonard and got the same result. Maybe they should have an episode for Sheldon on how life would be without Leonard and Amy. Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1

I ment he is being robbed by the writers, I wasnt referring to any of the characters.

How can you say Sheldon didn't understand Sheldon? He clearly stated it to L&P (and himself).

Amy brought an outsider to help Sheldon deal with it, since she had no experience with it her self, and Will has.

Leonard did no such thing.

I don't think that Leonard did something wrong here, but he and Amy didn't do the same thing imho.

I ment he is being robbed by the writers, I wasnt referring to any of the characters.

How can you say Sheldon didn't understand Sheldon? He clearly stated it to L&P (and himself).

Amy brought an outsider to help Sheldon deal with it, since she had no experience with it her self, and Will has.

I don't think that Leonard did something wrong here, but he and Amy didn't do the same thing imho.

Sheldon was at the beginning complaining about the undeserved recognition he got. Then when Leonard proved his theory wrong and thus the recognition was gone he wanted it back.Penny's understood what he appeared to mean. When she gave her example that was equivalent to what Sheldon meant Sheldon didn't get it. He only agreed with Penny because Penny said I know what you mean. My point with Amy and Leonard was that they were both trying to help Sheldon deal with the situation. I understand they did it in different ways.
  • Like 1

That was just awful, Worst for the season (equal with Itchy Brain). Not a laugh to be had and Sheldon at his most annoying.

Edited by ajond

Not the worst of the season, but yeah, not a great episode for me. Kripke's encounter with Sheldon was probably the only decent, funny scene.

Pretty dull episode all around...no laughs..

Annoying/whining Sheldon through out the plot is just irritating to watch

Raj's plot did'nt have much material either.... anyway I hope to see this caring attentive qualities of Raj being used for his girlfriend stories...rather than his pathetic qualities..

Pretty dull episode all around...no laughs..

Annoying/whining Sheldon through out the plot is just irritating to watch

Raj's plot did'nt have much material either.... anyway I hope to see this caring attentive qualities of Raj being used for his girlfriend stories...rather than his pathetic qualities..

Good point about Raj.

I did not find it dull. It just seemed too short to me.

• Like 1

Tonight's episode was a bit of a mix for me some good parts some meh, felt like one long joke that just went too far.

I enjoyed the part with Wil Wheaton the most, :popcorn: glad to see him back, even sweeter that Amy was the one that invited him to help cheer Sheldon up that was very sweet of her considering how much she and Wil didn't get along the last time the three of them hung out during fun with flags.  But she knew Wil could give Sheldon really good advice and it was nice that for a change Sheldon actually listened at least at the time.  I like that he let them into his room and that Amy and Wil were willing to play trains with him.  It was also pretty funny to me that Amy nodded her head when Sheldon told Wil to leave because he wanted to use Sheldon's train whistle.  She knows him so well she wouldn't have even dared ask LOL. 

I think supporting characters have been the funniest lately, last week with Zach and this week with Wil and Kripke.  Kripke finally acknowledging his speech impediment was surprising and I like that he still managed to get the last laugh in the end.  I love Sheldon, but after way he's talked down to every other scientist at the university especially Kripke I'm not at all surprised they are relishing in his failure.  He shouldn't be so cocky all the damn time if he doesn't want people to make fun of him.

The part with Raj, Howard and Bernadette started out kind of cute and mildly funny, then towards middle took a really creepy turn.  Its almost like Raj wanted to break up Howard and Bernadette because he's so lonely and wants Howard back to himself again or something I mean even after Howard told him to stop trying to one up him with Bernadette he still kept doing it that's not how a BFF should behave!!  :nono:   Its like Raj wanted to see how far he could push them into fight.  Maybe he was hoping Bernadette would get so mad at Howard that she kick him out and the end of the week too and then Howard would have to come stay with Raj.  Its obvious Raj is very lonely and so desperate for affection he treats his dog like a partner/baby instead of a PET!  Its creepy!  :shok:  Reminds me of a Creepy Cat Lady only its Creepy Dog Man.  Also it kind of bugged me that it was like Bernadette, Raj and even Howard didn't even think to mention that beautiful song he wrote for her just a few weeks ago!!  I mean for Bernadette to act like Howard isn't the most romantic sweet guy just because he is lazy about housework and cooking is CRAZY!  He still does romantic stuff all the time for her, he got her that necklace that went to space, he spent hours carving their initials into a grain of sand, and he wrote the most ADORKABLE sweet song for her to make up for the fact that he is always saying something dumb or being lazy about housework.  I can't believe no one mentioned the song. If Howard was tired of feeling like a lousy husband why didn't he just start singing the song right then and there to remind them HE's MR. ROMANCE!   I mean it just seemed like writers convienently left that out to drive the silly little drama they were causing for this one episode.  Just totally random for sake of trying to be funny, but it just made Raj look douchey, Howard look like an idiot and Bernadette look whiny. :icon_neutral:

Now as for Leonard trying to help Sheldon by disproving his theory, I mean he should really know Sheldon well enough by now to know he loves attention even if he says he doesn't he always wants everything to be about him.  So it was again either really dumb on Leonard's part to think Sheldon would appreciate it or Leonard just wanted to get his own achievement and his own claim to fame by disproving Sheldon's theory and making Sheldon look even worst to the scientific community.  Either way I don't really care because Sheldon still would have found a way to blame Leonard no matter what he did because its part of their strangely codependent relationships for Sheldon to blame his friends for his problems/mistakes, but usually its funnier than it was tonight.  Tonight it was just mildly funny and kind of annoying.  

And although Raj may have had a point about SHAMY it wasn't good timing.  It came across again as more of a know it all butting into other people's relationships trying to stir up drama because he's lonely himself than as a caring considerate friend who really wants to see them do better.  Therefore, I'm actually glad Amy told him to leave at the end cause Raj was being really rude.  Things like that should be said to each individual in private not in front of another couple (LENNY) or in front of the other person in that relationship because its only going to cause a fight not make them change their ways.  Amy wasn't even trying to pressure Sheldon at all this week into anything, I really think she honestly just wanted to take a walk with her boyfriend so he'd calm down nothing SEXUAL about that!  But, I guess this was the writers' way of cluing us in that Amy's constant sex jokes  and her sexual frustration isn't just upsetting her, but also Sheldon and their friends notice it too.  I don't like it either, but it really irritates me that anyone would DARE tell her to be more patient, Amy is the MOST PATIENT WOMAN I HAVE EVER SEEN!!  I mean most women would have left Sheldon years ago with the way he treats her and the lack of intimacy in their relationship and yet she sticks by his side and hasn't broken up with him over it or cheated on him with someone else. In fact, when presented with the idea to cheat by Bernadette she actually got mad at her for it. 

So I feel Its really lame that although each character has grown, they far too often regress back to really immature behavior just for the sake of silly jokes that don't even make much sense just basically repeating what we already know about each of them..Howard is lazy mama's boy, Penny drinks too much, Amy wants sex too much, Sheldon complains too much, Raj acts desperate and overbearing too much and Leonard just can't catch a break ever.  WE GET IT!!  NEXT!!. :rolleyes:

Also, I know Sheldon doesn't like feeling pressured to have sex, but Amy doesn't like feeling like she can't even kiss or hug her boyfriend without him freaking out over it.  Just like Leonard doesn't like that Penny will not marry him yet, and Penny doesn't like that he makes her feel dumb.  Howard doesn't like that Bernadette is always pressuring him to do housework and Bernadette doesn't like having to do all the work all the time.   Everyone's got issues even Kripke and Wil Wheaton apparently know they have issues, but if someone is trying to help you and make you feel better about something that isn't the time to dump all over them like Sheldon does to Amy and Leonard repeatedly and then Raj piggybacked on the couple's pain and butted in just to seem superior was really annoying.  But what I liked  was how well Amy handled his behavior.  Amy didn't fly off the wall at them this time or run out of the room upset she just kept calm and patiently told Raj to leave.  I liked that :)  Howard and Bernadette were a lot louder and ruder when they told him off and made him leave for doing the same thing so at least Amy is nice enough not to start yelling.  Lenny had their crazy relationship drama last week with the Penny/Zach marriage thing so of course it was Howardette and Shamy's turn again, but really I think this week's storylines were overall just a little less enertaining than last week's Thanksgiving episode.  I liked watching Sheldon and Mike bond over football more than i thought I would last week and drunk Sheldon is always funny.  But this week no one really bonded or learned anything or said anything super funny it was all just mildly funny mixed with ridiculous over top silly behavior from everyone except Wil Wheaton, Amy and Penny this week.

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 3

To me it seems like this episode was a set-up for something down the road. I  feel like it is setting up that Leonard gets tenure and that there is so much tension between Leonard and Sheldon (which they have been building all season as it is) that they are leading likely to Leonard moving in with Penny and separate living arrangements between the two roommates.   I just have felt very strongly that they are heading that direction.  

I am not sure, but the snap he made at Amy I believe probably is going to lead to a meeting of the minds between them somewhere.  I think they are setting that up as well for another "discussion" that leads to them understanding each other more.  Maybe we will learn Sheldon is putting pressure on himself that Amy isn't putting there and that would be a very good thing.  

I think it was an episode with few laughs and in many ways was rather painful to watch.   Again, Penny's facial expression captured much of what many fans were likely feeling when they watched this episode (it was like walking on egg shells and waiting for another egg to crack).   The unpleasantness they gave Sheldon in this episode was pushing to the limit.   I have seen comments throughout this season that fans post on various sites feel Sheldon has turned mean and many are getting tired of his mean streak.   I think the writers are walking a tight rope here and need to get to the payoff so that people can understand where they are going with this mean streak because otherwise it has really been a turnoff.  

Time for them to move forward now. They have beat the same jokes over and over and they have been so stale that it has become downright annoying and not funny.   It is painful in fact and diminished the entertainment value.   I see it all over the various fan sites.  Fans are getting fed up with the stale nature.   I think that is because they have been dragging out the next step with each character.  They need to take that step and open up new jokes and breathe fresh life in this show.   I am hoping I am right about this being a set-up show for that reason.  Because it would mean they are setting things up to make that step forward.

By the way, I have liked Raj most of the season this season, but tonight I wasn't fond of his part.  It was again probably due to the fact that his "meddling" was to play into the step coming soon, but it sort of made Raj come across annoying and he hasn't been until this episode.   So I hope that is a one-episode personality trait that we won't see revisited.

It is always nice to see Wil and John Ross on the show as Wheaton and Kripke.

I agree with SuperLexi that Amy was very supportive and contacting Wil to come and support Sheldon was a huge thing because she really does not like Wil.   But she was willing to put herself out there to bring him just to help Sheldon.  That speaks volumes about her love for Sheldon.   Sheldon better appreciate her but he certainly didn't show it tonight.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 5

I'm just glad we have new episode next week, that can hopefully wash away this mediocre episode.

Like some already said, there were no laughs, no growth etc.

• Like 1

I am hoping that we will look back on this episode down the road and realize it's significance more because right now it just came across as an unpleasant episode.   For a sitcom, sometimes when you are in the midst of a transition things will get that way for an episode, but hopefully next week the tone will be so much more pleasant.   They have had so many good episodes that were heartwarming, funny and entertaining but this one was not high on that list.

• Like 1

MMm, another average one I thought.  Although I did quite like the Raj/Howard/Bernadette storyline. So how long before they announce the Tenure post?  Bawwy or Leonard I think.

Maybe the only upside to this episode was that Sheldon was ok with Amy entering his bedroom.

This was before he knew that Will was there too.

• Like 1

Maybe the only upside to this episode was that Sheldon was ok with Amy entering his bedroom.

This was before he knew that Will was there too.

As long as she doesn't have cookies, he doesn't deserve cookies..............

I dunno.  Just an impression, but this season's episodes just don't seem to measure up to last season's episodes so far.  Last night's was another, in my view, mediocre show.  It feels to me almost like the writers are having a bit of a slump.  Others may disagree.   I almost fell asleep watching last night's episode.

• Like 2

I didn't think this was as bad as a lot of people seem to think it was. Sheldon continues to have more personalities than Sybil. Nothing new there. The other characters were all trrue to who we have come to know them as. Some good lines and I found several parts to be quite funny. Particularly Sheldon's phone calls with President Seibert.

Next week sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it goes....

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2

I didn't think this was as bad as a lot of people seem to think it was. Sheldon continues to have more personalities than Sybil. Nothing new there. The other characters were all trrue to who we have come to know them as. Some good lines and I found several parts to be quite funny. Particularly Sheldon's phone calls with President Seibert.

Next week sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it goes....

I think your Sybil comparison nails it on the head. Leonard, Amy, and Penny all tried to help in different ways to no avail. I think if you are into Shamy, Lenny, and compassion for Sheldon this episode wasn't it. I think some get caught up into looking for certain things and if they are not there they don't like the episode.

• Like 1

Now as for Leonard trying to help Sheldon by disproving his theory, I mean he should really know Sheldon well enough by now to know he loves attention even if he says he doesn't he always wants everything to be about him.  So it was again either really dumb on Leonard's part to think Sheldon would appreciate it or Leonard just wanted to get his own achievement and his own claim to fame by disproving Sheldon's theory and making Sheldon look even worst to the scientific community

ahh , the heights of being biased...

• Like 1