7.10 "the Discovery Dissipation" (December 5)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I'm just going to re-post what I put on the other forum...

I didn't get to watch the show until late last night (after watching Jim slapping Andy Richter's butt on Conan...) and I was surprised to come online and see all kinds of negative comments about the episode, both here and at the other forum.

But I didn't have a problem with it at all.
I thought it was funny.

I do think that Sheldon was obviously conflicted about having his discovery being disproved by Leonard. As much as he was protesting about having found the element by accident, being genuinely down on himself about how he found it, down deep inside he did know that this was, as he said, his only claim to fame.

As much as Sheldon supposedly looks down his nose at so many things, he does want to be celebrated for his achievements. The only issue he really had about this achievement was that it was accidental. When he first thought he'd discovered it, before he found his mistake, he was ecstatic and enjoying all the acknowledgement, anticipating the Smithsonian creating an exhibit about him and his achievement, etc.

So, it's not surprising to me that he really kind of blew up--I think his griping before about all the attention was partly real, but also maybe a way of enjoying his fame without admitting it.  I actually loved the little detail of him at the counter, after he got the water, where he's putting his head in his hand for a moment.  It almost looked as if he was going to cry...

At any rate, he really does react like a child to such things, so to me it was not a surprise. I actually like that part of him, somehow. The part of him that goes to his room to sulk with his toy train, and even when he has friends with him, he still plays the way he would have as a child--all by himself.

Anyway, I thought the stuff with Raj and H&B was very funny, and I like the way H&B kind of teamed up once they realized what was going on--that no matter how much they were "half-assing" their marriage, they were doing it together. tongue.gif

The "all about sex with you" line didn't bother me for a few reasons, mostly Sheldon's overall frustration, with everything that was going on in his life. He always has a tendency to overreact when something strikes him the wrong way.
I mean, a few scenes earlier he was crossing friends off his list over Leonard's disproving his element. So it's not surprising to me that he would have an over-the-top reaction to Amy's simple suggestion.

And it does kind of speak to the point of Sheldon interpreting any kind of personal interaction with Amy as something sexual being perhaps evidence of where his mind is at this point.

But I think that Raj butting his nose in doesn't mean that what Amy did was actually pressuring Sheldon in any way, of course. And Sheldon was happy to agree with Raj's assertions at first, kind of looking at Amy to see how she would react to Raj's comments, but then kind of getting confused when she told Raj to go.

I think that the truest moment was in Sheldon's office when he and Leonard were talking--no overreaction, no fighting, just honesty.
And then of course, Bawwy couldn't resist rubbing it all in. wink.gif

Anyway, I just watched it again a minute ago, and I loved it. smile.gif

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have to disagree, Priya and Leonard talked and it was very clear to both of them why the relationship ended, Priya won, while Leonard thought of cheating, then didn't do it, Priya went ahead and cheated.  Penny 'dumped' Leonard in the bowling alley, really quite cruely in front of all his friends and strangers, she made a pretty good scene.  Penny had her reasons, but she never really told them to Leonard, he knew it was over, but he really didn't have any closure, because they never talked.  It was really one sided, she dumped him.

Leonard cheated with Alice. It didn't get as far as Priya and the ex did. If Leonard had forgiven Priya they wouldn't of broken up. To me Penny and Leonard did talk in the laundry room. The only reason she was at the bowling alley was because of Sheldon. Was it yelling and screaming at the bowling alley? A big scene? Not really IMO. Penny felt that she couldn't give Leonard what he really wanted. Was she wrong? Dumping to me makes it sounds like she had a better offer from some other guy. Sorry  I got off topic on this forum.

Edited by Chrismo

I think what threw me off is the "they break up with you" part. As we all know it was Penny that dumped Leonard and so for me it's the way it was worded.

Yes, we all know that this line was about how Penny screwed up with Leonard in S3. Who else would it be? Zack :D? They break up or she breaks up with you, doesn't matter. A breakup is a breakup. She screwed up and regretted it.

Just look at his face... how can anybody not feel bad for Leonard here?

http://s7.directupload.net/images/user/131206/qxhyid7k.png

He always tries to do nice things for Sheldon and gets nothing back... just more whining and complaining. Sheldon's wish was, that this element-thing ends. So Leonard took care of it. But now, Leonard is the bad person... again. I'm no Sheldon hater, and I know that he has problems with social interactions like this, but as Leonard said: "There is no winning with you".

Leonard really should stop helping Sheldon and let him suffer, like Sheldon did in episode 6.06 with him ... maybe then he finally learns to appreciate help from other people.

I feel bad for Sheldon because, once again, he is robbed of a break through in his work, and that Leonard did not understand why Sheldon was up set about.

Sheldon wasn't robbed of anything. Leonard disproving it wasn't done TO Sheldon. It was just scientific integrity on Leonard's part. Sheldon himself knew his "discovery" was fraudulent. and Leonard disproving if it was so Sheldon woudln't have all the attention he said he was so unconfortable about, and in the name of science as well.

People are putting way too much thought into Penny's line. Way too much. I thought she was speaking generally, dating a guy you're just not into because he seems so impressed with you, so you maintain the relationship. I've seen it many times.

Loved Raj and Cinnamon, his scenes with HB were all great. Also agree that Penny had the best lines.

I got hooked last season on the wave of S4 and 5 because I wanted to see where the story was going and it's been stalling for so long now that it doesn't feel like "must watch in order every single week" tv to me right now, like it did after S5.I'm just kind of bored with the dynamic right now. I thought the first 7 eps of the season were very promising, feel-good stuff, and leading up to something good for sweeps and instead we kind of got a whole lot of nothing, if not even a reset back to S6. There is nothing angering, really, or nothing of particular concern, but sweeps were really underwhelming, imo, if not even a step back, especially as far as Leonard and Sheldon's friendship is concerned.

eta: Thank God for Bawwy though! Oh, Bawwy, you can make anything good, just like Zack! Screw it, I want a Bawwy/Zack spin-off!

Apparently this is turning into a hablit, but I MUST thank you again, Koops, for saying exactly what I think much better than I ever could. I liked the first 6 episodes, the Proton one not so much, and I don't even wnat to comment on "Itchy". As you say , there is nothing particularly worng, but it does feel like an airplane circling a runway and never landing. It seems to be getting stale , even if there are funny moments, but not as you say must watch every week. I agree witgh you also on the fact that "Bawwy" was just comedic gold : "Cooper! The Wetwactow"  . Loved that scene.

People are putting way too much thought into Penny's line. Way too much. I thought she was speaking generally, dating a guy you're just not into because he seems so impressed with you, so you maintain the relationship. I've seen it many times.

Loved Raj and Cinnamon, his scenes with HB were all great. Also agree that Penny had the best lines.

As others pointed out it was the way it was  worded what Penny said espicially since it was related to Sheldon.

As others pointed out it was the way it was  worded what Penny said espicially since it was related to Sheldon.

It wasn't directly related to Sheldon.  It was simply a hypothetical.  If anyone else had said it, it would have meant the same thing (as an example of what Sheldon was experiencing), but people wouldn't be turning themselves inside out over it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Leonard cheated with Alice. It didn't get as far as Priya and the ex did. If Leonard had forgiven Priya they wouldn't of broken up. To me Penny and Leonard did talk in the laundry room. The only reason she was at the bowling alley was because of Sheldon. Was it yelling and screaming at the bowling alley? A big scene? Not really IMO. Penny felt that she couldn't give Leonard what he really wanted. Was she wrong? Dumping to me makes it sounds like she had a better offer from some other guy. Sorry  I got off topic on this forum.

It seemed like a scene to me because everyone was looking at them.  But I agree with you if you don't think it was dumping because she wasn't going for someone else, I guess it is just interpretation.  I think she was on the fence as soon as Leonard told her "I Love You" because like she always says, 'everything was happening too fast'.  Wil just gave her the little push to the breakup side of the fence.  In 6.02 she fell the other way to the stick it out, it will get better, side.

To keep on topic, this is not going to be one of the best episodes of the season, but it sure beats the hell out of "Modern Family".

To me it was a great line simply because it was the rarest of moments when Penny could relate to something going on in Sheldon when no one else (including Leonard) could.

Makes no difference to me which breakup she was talking about or if it was just a generic breakup.

Um, Sheldon has a credibility problem now, doesn't he? Yodelling was funny but, um. And I didn't think that Penny's line was that resonant and it seemed like a stretch to me, to make the two situations analogous. Raj was the star for in my opinion this time around. The Other Love Triangle is a hoot. Also Penny said at the end something about "when they say something embarrassing". There was no "they". Unless she is talking in a wider context than the interview. In which case, no wonder she has been seen to drink. Lol. :)

Eta. Loved the vacuum. When will it travel to Penny's apartment? Heheheh. :)

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Um, Sheldon has a credibility problem now, doesn't he? Yodelling was funny but, um. And I didn't think that Penny's line was that resonant and it seemed like a stretch to me, to make the two situations analogous. Raj was the star for in my opinion this time around. The Other Love Triangle is a hoot. Also Penny said at the end something about "when they say something embarrassing". There was no "they". Unless she is talking in a wider context than the interview. In which case, no wonder she has been seen to drink. Lol. :)

Eta. Loved the vacuum. When will it travel to Penny's apartment? Heheheh. :)

Of course it was Sheldon who was saying the embarrassing things, but Leonard was unintentionally embarrassing himself by engaging. People who listen to that will associate the two of them together. I'd say Penny was embarrassed for him, while Amy was flat out embarrassed of Sheldon.   

Of course it was Sheldon who was saying the embarrassing things, but Leonard was unintentionally embarrassing himself by engaging. People who listen to that will associate the two of them together. I'd say Penny was embarrassed for him, while Amy was flat out embarrassed of Sheldon.   

It sort of reminded me of the episode, I think in season 1 or 2, where Leonard wanted to present their joint paper and sheldon didn't so they both fought on stage.

ahh , the heights of being biased...

I actually think Sheldon was a jerk to Leonard so I'm not being biased towards Sheldon, I just think by now Leonard should either know to stay out of it or go ahead and disprove the theory because Sheldon was whining too much about it anyway and Leonard deserved more credit for trying to help him, but he never gets the credit.  I actually feel sorry for Leonard always having to put up with Sheldon's nonsense and superiority complex, but it just came across as really dumb when I feel Leonard has shown better ways of handling Sheldon in previous seasons so I would have liked to see the writers handle their friendship better is all.  It just made them both look bad to be honest and I don't like how Sheldon has treated Leonard this season at all its getting too mean spirited just for the sake of jokes.

Edited by Superlovelexi

I still love The Big Bang Theory and rated this episode no less than a good, but I'll have to say that 2 of my other favorite shows, one a comedy series also done by Chuck Lorry and the other a very popular  AMC  channel dark action thriller favorite of mine dominated the TV screen for me this past week, BIGTIME!

Continuity takes it in the nut sack again.

Wait, can I retract that?

Please don't. There were so many holes in this episode *sigh* A few mildly amusing scenes but not funny. I preferred Raj being capable with women though but I'm sure that will be gone by next week. *double sigh* Kripke being unaware of his speech impediment was what made him funny. It was also him who teased Sheldon when he had to retract his Arctic data. So that line about never retracting anything is wrong as well.

I miss the nerdy stuff, the days when they built a robot, or played paintball or Howard got the Mars Rower stuck in a ditch. And their quirky personalities were just part of the show and not something that had to be fixated on and dissected.

star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif

I watched the show and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it was not a good show. I honestly believe it is a set-up show (and this is one of a number of set-up shows) for future stuff and will make a lot more sense down the road. We found this to be true in many episodes in S6 where we sat there and had no clue what was going on and they seemed sort of "filler" at the time. This one didn't feel even like filler to me, but clearly setting things up for Leonard to get Tenure. I am almost certain they plan that because they have continually had Sheldon have failures. Fans are sick of the Sheldon failures though and Sheldon's flipping back and forth from adult man maturing to childish immature Sheldon. That needs to end and the sooner the better because that schtick got old last season and has long lost its welcome. What I think they are hoping to accomplish are:

1. Sheldon fails, Leonard gets Tenure

2. Tenure leads to further contention between Sheldon/Leonard (which has been already building all season) which causes Leonard to rethink living arrangements and how much more he can endure with Sheldon.

3. Leonard and Penny have been spending more and more time at her place (having meals there, etc.) prepping for living together.

4. Leonard and Penny get to a point where they have a serious discussion and she asks him to move in with her.

5. Leonard and Sheldon part ways as roommates, but that also helps their friendship down the road because by not living in close quarters, they can find what they enjoyed about each other again.

6. Sheldon is humbled by so many losses that he begins to re-evaluate everything and realizes that the one person that truly has stood by his side through success and failure and still has not judged him is Amy. This deepens his feelings for her and he realizes he needs to start giving back in their relationship.

7. Sheldon's revelation about Amy leads to him taking a major step forward (what that is, I don't know...could be a kiss, could be just a big cuddle, could be an ILY, but something that shows his love for her and that he truly is working on it).

I honestly believe they are heading for a major shakeup in past character traits and a change so that they can move forward to some new material. As many posters on various forum sites have said, the show has grown stale in their jokes and characters have been stagnant too long. I think they know this and this episode was a stepping stone to the bigger plan.

I could be way off base, but that is my take on last night's episode. Sadly those game-changing episodes are often not funicon1.png to watch. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely was not funny in the slightest. This show was not "entertaining" really, but probably a necessary step to take.

See that doesn't even sound like a comedy show. Sorry but it just sounds like wish fulfillment for shippers and a total destruction of the character who used to have me in stitches at his every word.  

I thought Wil Wheaton was great.   Wesley Crusher and Troi were the only things about Star Trek TNG I didn't like but I didn't know he was hated for it.

Please don't. There were so many holes in this episode *sigh* A few mildly amusing scenes but not funny. I preferred Raj being capable with women though but I'm sure that will be gone by next week. *double sigh* Kripke being unaware of his speech impediment was what made him funny. It was also him who teased Sheldon when he had to retract his Arctic data. So that line about never retracting anything is wrong as well.

I miss the nerdy stuff, the days when they built a robot, or played paintball or Howard got the Mars Rower stuck in a ditch. And their quirky personalities were just part of the show and not something that had to be fixated on and dissected.

See that doesn't even sound like a comedy show. Sorry but it just sounds like wish fulfillment for shippers and a total destruction of the character who used to have me in stitches at his every word.  

That pretty much says it all.

Moonbase, you don't get between 17 and 20 million viewers watching each and every week if they don't become attached to their favorite character. The nerdy stuff is still there but it isn't the main part of the sitcom. It depends on want you want, a short lived sitcom that a minority of viewers associate with or a long running #1 comedy that a great number of viewers enjoy because they get invested with their favorite character or couple. Personally, I'll go for the later.

I thought Wil Wheaton was great.   Wesley Crusher and Troi were the only things about Star Trek TNG I didn't like but I didn't know he was hated for it.

That pretty much says it all.

Funny, Wheaton actually had a very small part and I found that the flattest part of the episode.

I was an avid fan of the original Star Trek up to the end of high school 1979 which is remarkable since they only had three seasons.

I never developed an interest in any of the newer star trek series. I did not have cable in the late 80's and the 90's. We started a family in the early 90's so it was mostly CBC kids station. I also got to watch some MacGyver and then most of SG1 Stargate. In sg1 the aliens were actually very alien.

When Wheaton first showed up on TBBT I had to Google him to figure out who he actually was on star trek. He has become more tolerable in more recent appearances.

_______

(edit) Someone posted a link to W Wheaton's blog in a different thread. http://wilwheaton.net/2013/12/one-small-part-of-a-pretty-great-life/

This puts the Wheaton scene in a different light. Assuming this is for real I like it.

Edited by djsurrey

I would think that Sheldon would have learned his lesson from what happened with Dr. Stephen Hawking about not publishing anything until verifying his calculations of his discovery. When he recognized his mistake you would think that he would want to verify the results from the Chinese team by running his own tests. Leonard on the other hand (who was proud that Sheldon had theoretically discovered the element) after watching his friend agonizing about his discovery for countless weeks decided to do something about it. So he did some tests using Sheldon's theory and was unable to create the element. He then went further to find out why he didn't and the Chinese did to probably make sure he hadn't made an error or overlooked something. Now he is only doing this because Sheldon continued to complain and whine about all the attention he was getting.

I would think that Sheldon would have learned his lesson from what happened with Dr. Stephen Hawking about not publishing anything until verifying his calculations of his discovery. When he recognized his mistake you would think that he would want to verify the results from the Chinese team by running his own tests. Leonard on the other hand (who was proud that Sheldon had theoretically discovered the element) after watching his friend agonizing about his discovery for countless weeks decided to do something about it. So he did some tests using Sheldon's theory and was unable to create the element. He then went further to find out why he didn't and the Chinese did to probably make sure he hadn't made an error or overlooked something. Now he is only doing this because Sheldon continued to complain and whine about all the attention he was getting.

This is the fundamental problem of why many fans are getting tired and bored of the show.   The writers have no respect for the history of the characters and what they have already written about them.   Just like Sheldon's remark about how he only had one retraction when he was seven before this last one.  That isn't true.  He had put out a retraction right after returning from the Arctic after he learned the guys had fooled him into believing he had made progress on his hypothesis back then.   Sheldon is supposed to be brillant, but they have instead turned him into an idiot.  They have made him childish, immature and a failure at everything he does at work.   That isn't why we tuned in to watch these characters. Sheldon was supposed to be brilliant and may make some mistakes, but most of the mistakes should have been related to social things rather than work related.  It disturbs me that they dumbed him down so.  Likewise with Amy.  She was very unique in S4 and S5 and now they have made her just like any other character out there in a sitcom.   I really hate how they have not kept true to the characters history.  Sure they can grow and develop, but at least keep their history consistent.   The short term-writing policy of Molaro is clearly showing they are floundering.  They have not seemed to be on any trajectory with the character and instead introduced a lot of inconsistency.  It is frustrating and leads to lack of interest over time because you feel like it isn't worth trying to figure out who the character really is anymore.  

I think the writers are really reaching fan limit.   While they may have large numbers now in ratings, I think fans are getting more and more bored with the show.  They are finding it has lost its charm and umph in writing as to what made the show unique and fresh.   I really hope the writers are reading some fan comments and taking some of these comments to heart.  They really need to breathe life into this show and respect the history they created.  Sadly I am not sure that history can be consistent any longer.  They have messed with the history over the last two seasons in such a way that it is going to be hard to know which history to follow.

This is the fundamental problem of why many fans are getting tired and bored of the show.   The writers have no respect for the history of the characters and what they have already written about them.   Just like Sheldon's remark about how he only had one retraction when he was seven before this last one.  That isn't true.  He had put out a retraction right after returning from the Arctic after he learned the guys had fooled him into believing he had made progress on his hypothesis back then.   Sheldon is supposed to be brillant, but they have instead turned him into an idiot.  They have made him childish, immature and a failure at everything he does at work.   That isn't why we tuned in to watch these characters. Sheldon was supposed to be brilliant and may make some mistakes, but most of the mistakes should have been related to social things rather than work related.  It disturbs me that they dumbed him down so.  Likewise with Amy.  She was very unique in S4 and S5 and now they have made her just like any other character out there in a sitcom.   I really hate how they have not kept true to the characters history.  Sure they can grow and develop, but at least keep their history consistent.   The short term-writing policy of Molaro is clearly showing they are floundering.  They have not seemed to be on any trajectory with the character and instead introduced a lot of inconsistency.  It is frustrating and leads to lack of interest over time because you feel like it isn't worth trying to figure out who the character really is anymore.  

I think the writers are really reaching fan limit.   While they may have large numbers now in ratings, I think fans are getting more and more bored with the show.  They are finding it has lost its charm and umph in writing as to what made the show unique and fresh.   I really hope the writers are reading some fan comments and taking some of these comments to heart.  They really need to breathe life into this show and respect the history they created.  Sadly I am not sure that history can be consistent any longer.  They have messed with the history over the last two seasons in such a way that it is going to be hard to know which history to follow.

Really that is only your opinion, I like seasons 5, 6 & now 7 the best.  Sheldon has a high IQ but he is also a self centered ass, the majority of high IQ people don't act like him, like Amy.   He causes his own problems, the arctic embarrassment was his own fault, his error he gave to Hawking was his own fault and now this element is his own fault, and it has nothing to do with him being smart, it has to do with his arrogance and his belief that he can do no wrong.  I enjoy the hell out of it, but you can see I'm not a Jim Parsons groupie.

Really that is only your opinion, I like seasons 5, 6 & now 7 the best.  Sheldon has a high IQ but he is also a self centered ass, the majority of high IQ people don't act like him, like Amy.   He causes his own problems, the arctic embarrassment was his own fault, his error he gave to Hawking was his own fault and now this element is his own fault, and it has nothing to do with him being smart, it has to do with his arrogance and his belief that he can do no wrong.  I enjoy the hell out of it, but you can see I'm not a Jim Parsons groupie.

I agree with your premise of Sheldon's arrogance being a barrier to success, however I COMPLETELY disagree with you that the arctic embarrassment was his own fault. The guys - that is Leonard, Raj, and Howard tampered with the results not Sheldon. He wouldn't have been in this conundrum had the other guys not cheated with the results. I also thought it was one of the few episodes where the guys were being too cruel to Sheldon particularly in the cafeteria scene when Sheldon was sitting by himself completely depressed. I know the show tries to excuse the tampering with the whole "Sheldon was so annoying, we had to shut him up" but because Sheldon is such a popular character and the episode didn't show what went down in the arctic trip the guy's treatment of Sheldon came in a vacuum and made it hard for me to relate to them.

Aside from that, the hawking and the element are just silly mistakes he made but failed to correct due to his arrogance. I loved Leonard in this episode and the way he was there for Sheldon. My main issue with the episode was that I was simply bored. How many times have we seen this storyline before??? It's getting old to watch especially because there is no forward movement for any of the characters, it's just another filler episode. 

Edited by menamena

I did feel sad for Sheldon. He used to be observing humanity from afar, but now he has regressed. And any real grown up would have built a n gauge layout with a shunting yard and an up AND down line. I get the hat and whistle but that layout was for a six year old. That's really tragic. They are mocking him. Trains are serious stuff.

Eta. And Sheldon did bad science by jumping the gun in the Arctic. Sorry but it's true.

Edited by Nogravitasatall