7.10 "the Discovery Dissipation" (December 5)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I must say when Leonard disproved Sheldons discovery. I was annoyed for Sheldon. Yes it was a lucky discovery but was it really necessary for his best friend to prove him wrong. I know he was trying to help Sheldon but it was still a huge discovery for Sheldon yes he probably would have been proven wrong eventually but Leonard shouldn't have been the one to do it.

I know this was a a continuation of the previous storyline, but I feel this will continue, less so the discovery but the repercussions on the guys friendship.

• Like 2

I must say when Leonard disproved Sheldons discovery. I was annoyed for Sheldon. Yes it was a lucky discovery but was it really necessary for his best friend to prove him wrong. I know he was trying to help Sheldon but it was still a huge discovery for Sheldon yes he probably would have been proven wrong eventually but Leonard shouldn't have been the one to do it.

I know this was a a continuation of the previous storyline, but I feel this will continue, less so the discovery but the repercussions on the guys friendship.

I'm still trying to make the leap between Leonard saying he wanted to help Sheldon to deciding the way to do this, was to test his equation.

Edited by Moonbase

I'm still trying to make the leap between Leonard saying he wanted to help Sheldon to deciding the way to do this, was to test his equation.

He thought he was helping because Sheldon had been complaining about having to do interviews and talk about his accidental discovery, like in the interview he had with Flatow.

Since he found out the discovery was as a result of a mistake, he's been embarrassed and regretful, wanting all the attention to go away.

So Leonard felt that proving the discovery was wrong, that the element doesn't exist after all, would take away the attention he had been complaining about, end all the interviews, etc.

That's why he thought it would be helpful.

I don't understand the reactions. For me, this was the funniest tbbt episode EVER! I laughed throughout the whole episode, it was really refreshing.

For once, I really didn't care about the story or the fact that my favorite character failed yet another time. I laughed and that's all I needed after a couple of boring episodes.

Yes it was a lucky discovery but was it really necessary for his best friend to prove him wrong. I know he was trying to help Sheldon but it was still a huge discovery for Sheldon yes he probably would have been proven wrong eventually but Leonard shouldn't have been the one to do it.

Of course it was necessary. There is such a thing called scientific integrity, which I believe to be very important. Initially Leonard tried to disporove it to take all the inwanted attention from Sheldon, and when he discovered that the element didn't exist, it was his duty to the scientific community to report it.

Keep in mind that Sheldon at times makes no sense at all. When Penny becomes sympathetic to his predicament it only underscores this is all emotion and no reason. Sheldon already knew his own work was flawed. That the "Chinese" found the element he predicted he consider a fluke because he knew his calculations were out by a factor of 10000. Leonard disproved the flawed (and possibly fake) work of the Chinese and not the work of Sheldon. I don't have a transcript yet but the clip is here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHGuqDBuso

They refer to it as a discovery but actually there was no discovery at all. Leonard is just the messenger in this.

• Like 1

it was leonard job to prove or disprove

sheldon theory of a new element. could

lead to tenure spot.

bold raj giving out relationship advice when

he dont have a girlfreind. look like amy was

going to cut open his brain wright there.

funny part was penny and amy going to play the

drinking game about there boyfreinds on the radio

• 3 weeks later...

I must have missed something. This episode begins with, "Previously on the Big Bang Theory . . ."  During which previous episode did Sheldon discover his method for synthesizing a new superheavy element? I don't remember viewing this discovery and can't find it in the episode summaries.

I must have missed something. This episode begins with, "Previously on the Big Bang Theory . . ."  During which previous episode did Sheldon discover his method for synthesizing a new superheavy element? I don't remember viewing this discovery and can't find it in the episode summaries.

The Romance Resonance

I must have missed something. This episode begins with, "Previously on the Big Bang Theory . . ." During which previous episode did Sheldon discover his method for synthesizing a new superheavy element? I don't remember viewing this discovery and can't find it in the episode summaries.

It's on the 7x06. I think it's called The Romance Resonance. It's the episode when Howard sings a song to Bernadette for their anniversary. During that episode Sheldon made this discovery because he misread a table(and a very easy one :-p - I love Amy on that scene!!).

• Like 1

see s7e6

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Romance_Resonance

As much as the descriptions call it a discovery it was a prediction based on faulty calculations.

Leonard: Holy crap, Sheldon, did you just figure out a method for synthesizing a new stable super-heavy element?

Sheldon: Did I? Well, that can’t be right. No one’s ever done that before. Except me, because I just did it. Sheldon and his brain, yeah. Sheldon and his brain, yeah. Sheldon and his brain, yeah. Sheldon and his brain, yeah. Sheldon and his brain…

Perhaps the story was inspired by this science news...  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=216538263

Edited by djsurrey

Leonard was wrong when he disproved Sheldon's discovery?   Isn't Leonard's JOB to prove or disprove a theory/discovery?   He didn't go into it with the thought that he was going to disprove it in order to hurt Sheldon.  He did it to find the truth.   What was he supposed to do, lie?  Fake the findings so that it LOOKED like Sheldon was right?  Does anyone really think that if Leonard had proved that Sheldon was right that he would have refused to publish his findings?  That he would have "fixed" his findings so that Sheldon looked like he was wrong?  Let's reverse the situation, if because of a theory of Leonard's was discovered and Sheldon found out that it was wrong that HE would publish it? 

Leonard was wrong when he disproved Sheldon's discovery?   Isn't Leonard's JOB to prove or disprove a theory/discovery?   He didn't go into it with the thought that he was going to disprove it in order to hurt Sheldon.  He did it to find the truth.   What was he supposed to do, lie?  Fake the findings so that it LOOKED like Sheldon was right?  Does anyone really think that if Leonard had proved that Sheldon was right that he would have refused to publish his findings?  That he would have "fixed" his findings so that Sheldon looked like he was wrong?  Let's reverse the situation, if because of a theory of Leonard's was discovered and Sheldon found out that it was wrong that HE would publish it? 

As I said back up in post Sheldon's reaction was all emotion. In fact Leonard actually showed that the Chinese team faked their results.

The transcript is available now. see http://bigbangtrans.wordpress.com/series-7-episode-10-the-discovery-dissipation/

Sheldon already knew his own work was flawed and was surprised when the Chinese said the had shown it existed.

Leonard: Well, you’re about to be in an even better one. I didn’t want to say anything until I knew for sure, but, I’ve been re-running the tests on your element in my lab and I disproved it. Your element does not exist.

Sheldon: Yeah, but what about the Chinese research team? They found it.

Leonard: Yeah, it turns out someone added simulated signals to the data files. They faked the results.

I don't think anyone has said Leonard was wrong.

Edited by djsurrey

• 3 months later...