7.11 "the Cooper Extraction" (December 12)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

115 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Well, technically, stripping in front of someone and trying to make that person have sex with you even after that person said no IS sexual assault, at least in my country, I don't know the details on the US legislation.

And I do agree that is how Amy thinks of Penny, and she might be wrong, but the other characters were agreeing with Amy regarding how Penny would act so it was not only Amy.

But like I always say is my opinion and people don't necessarily have to agree with me. That's how I felt about it and everybody else is free to think otherwise. I don't own the absolute truth or control over the birds.... (yet) :p

Technically correct realistically probably not. Raj and Stuart (I am not sure of the other guys) just wanted to hear about Penny stripping. I'm not sure they were agreeing so much on how Penny would act.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

It's not like it was really happening or would have happened.  For pete's sake.

It was just Amy kind of poking fun at Penny, but mostly showing that Sheldon wasn't interested, even if Penny were to strip and throw herself at him (and it's not like Penny was even touching Sheldon--just offering herself), and most importantly, that he was saving himself for a cute, bespectacled neuroscientist.

Amy knew she was teasing Penny and Penny knew it too.  Nobody was committing sexual assault.

I know it was an AU, I'm not that dumb!, but like I said, IMO it made Penny look bad not only by having Amy imagining that, but also having the other characters agree that she would act that way, that's how I see it. Period. I just think they took it too far.

Edited by Sursonica

Well, technically, stripping in front of someone and trying to make that person have sex with you even after that person said no IS sexual assault, at least in my country, I don't know the details on the US legislation.

And I do agree that is how Amy thinks of Penny, and she might be wrong, but the other characters were agreeing with Amy regarding how Penny would act so it was not only Amy.

But like I always say is my opinion and people don't necessarily have to agree with me. That's how I felt about it and everybody else is free to think otherwise. I don't own the absolute truth or control over the birds.... (yet) :p

I had similar issues about that scene.  Stopping with her after she removed the jacket was plenty of getting the point across.  They didn't need to take it to the extreme they did.  I also agree that all the characters thought that about Penny because they were all nodding and agreeing and wanting to hear more of Amy's story.   So it was clear that they saw Penny the same.   I personally would like to see them getting away from that image of her, but doubt they ever will.  I think they like to keep her the bombshell and bimbo.

I also agree with some of the others above that the two lines that bothered some are two that bothered me.   The one where Penny says she would pay the $10 because it was implying that she not only felt Sheldon was incapable, but also did not trust that Amy had enough going on to entice Sheldon.  I didn't care for that line.  Likewise I think it was sweet when Sheldon said he wished Amy had been there with him and I wish they would have stopped there.  They didn't need to say "or instead of me".  It was, I realize supposed to be a punchline, but it wasn't funny and it really is frustrating that they had to take away that sweet moment with a punchline. I hate when they do that.   Can't they just once let a sweet moment just stay a sweet moment and not take away from it?  I realize it is a sitcom, but it is okay to have sweet moments and leave them that way.   The Lenny moment was sweet and didn't have anything taken away from it.  It was still adorable through.  But with Shamy the writers never like to just let a sweet moment be that and not have a punchline follow.  Very frustrating!

Overall though, those two lines could not damper my mood about this episode. It was still one of the best if not the best of the season. It was very well done.

• Like 3

I think Sheldon's running commentary on the birth process was hilarious.

I guess we will disagree with the hilarity. For me though I guess part of the problem was I was little excited thinking he wasn't going to be in the episode much. I was expecting a little more of life without Sheldon than his running commentary of the birthing process.

I guess we will disagree with the hilarity. For me though I guess part of the problem was I was little excited thinking he wasn't going to be in the episode much. I was expecting a little more of life without Sheldon than his running commentary of the birthing process.

I can't see them ever spending too much of an episode without Sheldon.  They seem to have definitely placed him as the front and center character of the show and everyone else's world somewhat revolves around him.   I suspect it is because Jim made him such a unique character in his interpretation of the character from the start that the writers and producers have latched on to keeping him there (plus his multiple awards and continued nominations).  

While some of the content of his Skypes was a bit "creepy", they were very in character with him.  I think the reason I liked having the multiple Skypes was because he constantly was Skyping Amy and it was obvious he missed her and would have preferred she was there sharing the experience with him.  That is what it came across like to me.  It was as if he needed her support and that was the closest way he could get it.  So as a fan of Shamy, it was a lovely thing, even if odd content.  But then again, they are a couple of oddball characters so to them it probably wasn't odd at all. ;)

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 6

Indeed, Stardust.

I think it was very funny (and important) that Sheldon was there, being Sheldon all the way.

And he was Skyping Amy, not the others (they just happen to be there), which gave Amy (and Mayim doing a more then excellent job) talking Sheldon through it, which comments like "not all look like that etc.)

That was probably the funniest, and most endearing about the whole episode for me.

• Like 2

Indeed, Stardust.

I think it was very funny (and important) that Sheldon was there, being Sheldon all the way.

And he was Skyping Amy, not the others (they just happen to be there), which gave Amy (and Mayim doing a more then excellent job) talking Sheldon through it, which comments like "not all look like that etc.)

That was probably the funniest, and most endearing about the whole episode for me.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW  Shamyfeels..............  

If I were a gif maker, this is where I insert pictures representing my feels.

• Like 1

And about the whole birth process, the only thing I found off is that Sheldon used to faint at the sight of a cut on his finger, I'm a bit puzzled as to how on Earth he managed to get through childbirth without passing out. But the fact that he was giving TMI about it and that he would send people emails with photos is totally IC. This is the man of the horrid dinner table conversations about pinworms and mensies, and who talks to people about prostate exams. Of course he would do the same about childbirth!

Could it be because it simply wasn't happening to himself?

Or maybe our "little boy" is growing up?

I still like to stick to my "Family & Loved ones are important to Sheldon" theory.

Like I said somewhere around here, I believe that when it comes to people Sheldon truelly cares about, he is capable setting his fears etc. aside.

Like he did when Penny slipped and dislocated her shoulder.

I still like to stick to my "Family & Loved ones are important to Sheldon" theory.

Like I said somewhere around here, I believe that when it comes to people Sheldon truelly cares about, he is capable setting his fears etc. aside.

Yes, I think that's very likely to be the case. Or Amy and her flu germs last season. A lot of Sheldon's phobias are him blowing things out of proportion after all. But childbirth must be pretty traumatic for anyone! 

• Like 1

Or maybe he just was wayyyyy too shocked to faint!!! Like wth am I really watching...that!?!?!?!? I am just kidding I believe too that Sheldon is capable of many things when it comes to his loved ones. And as koops said totally IC for him to send those photos. Nicely done!!! I mean I wouldn't suffer alone if I were him!!! They all should suffer too *diabolic smile*!!!! Edited by Cecilia
  • Like 1

Or maybe he just was wayyyyy too shocked to faint!!! Like wth am I really watching...that!?!?!?!? I am just kidding I believe too that Sheldon is capable of many things when it comes to his loved ones. And as koops said totally IC for him to send those photos. Nicely done!!! I mean I wouldn't suffer alone if I were him!!! They all should suffer too *diabolic smile*!!!!

Ah yes, the pictures!

That was also so Sheldon, maybe even with a hint of being proud?

And Amy would probably be the only one being OK with seeing those pictures  :wub:

Monique you were right this episode is awesome!

I laughed so much! Leonard, Raj, Howard (Simon was so awesome!), and I loved Amys reaction to Sheldons screensaver *awwwwwwwwwwwwww* :wub: and the Shamy scene when they walked up the stairs I just love the Shamy so much!

Penny was cute as a "present" :wub:

And the Shenny scene in the laundry room was so funny *LOL* Amys dirty dreams *hahaha* thats why I love her!
And Stuart was awesome! Loved the end when he dreamed of dating Penny!

Sheldon was awesome too via skype. And Marys screaming *LOL*

And I laughed about Howards dream with his mother *LOL*

Oh and Zack was perfect in Leonards dream!

Awww and Sheldon is now an uncle of a boy! So happy for him!

A great episode to end this year!

Edited by BlackWhiteRose
  • Like 3

Was that really Mary talking? It didn't sound like it unless they taped Laurie's voice and just played it in the scene

If sounded nothing like Laurie to me. Like, not even close. But people are saying she was mentioned in the press release, so I guess it was her?

Yeah everyone agrees it didn't sound anything like Lauri, but who where they taped that one line etc.

She was mentioned in the press release and her name did appear in the credits at the end.

Hopefully we get to see her onscreen somewhere in the 2nd part of the season.

Okay, I enjoyed this episode SO MUCH. The cute Lenny scene at the start kills me! I also enjoyed Amy's dream with Sheldon and Penny. Sheldon shows absolutely no interest, but oh my god was that scene horny!

They gave us a very lovely gift with that! I love it!

First of all this was an episode in a different format. Which Big Bang rarely tries... So I enjoyed it

All the silly scenarios were fun to see...may be it would have been better if it were not cheap/easy jokes about being fat and social depression... and Howard's mother joke was too much...

But the implication that without Sheldon they would have never found happiness.....seems a little far stretched.... I get that Sheldon has bought benefits to their life but it was very odd to imply that without him the group would be miserable wrecks.....

And I would have like to see this episode with no Sheldon (or atleast no birth control commentary) ...could have given more time for the dreams....but the writes just cannot leave Sheldon ... can they??

One thing I am most happy about is that Amy was appreciated... after the listless jokes about Amy's sexual depression..it was becoming just too cruel to watch....so it was nice to see Sheldon's appreciation for her....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

I missed last night show sadly :( does anyone know where I can see the clips? I tried on youtube but could only find the promo's. 

You can watch the full episode here if you live in the USA or have a proxy program installed:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/video/FkvZXALN60o5JEEhflaWtppOb90n44fV/the-big-bang-theory-the-cooper-extraction/

This was a very sweet episode. The L/P interaction was fabulous. Leonard showing Amy Sheldon's screen saver with her on it was very sweet. Penny's facial reaction to Amy suggesting that with Leonard out of the way she would go for Sheldon was spot on. In the dream scene they kind of made Penny a bit to bimbo-ish but Sheldon was his usual clueless and non sexually attracted self which was very funny. Overweight Leonard and Raj was actually believable with Raj's cooking skills.

The scene in the laundry room appears to me, that Sheldon represents the writers and Penny represents all the Shenny's out there.