Sheldon and Christmas

FemaleNerd

Reading zedlord's post in another thread

i trust creators if they give her last name it would be a good one. maybe we will meet her parents or her parents invite them for christmas, can you imagine sheldon dealing with traditions?

I just came across a question:

Sheldon has said that he and Leonard don't celebrate Christmas. It wasn't mentioned that either of them went "home" to see their parents over Christmas. I'm not from the States, so I don't know if people don't usually go home there...

But we know Sheldon's mother is very religious and he's very close to her. So wouldn't you expect him to spent Christmas with his family?

What do you think?

I think it would be more likely to have some family come to the apartment, because it's certainly mentioned that some of Leonard's family were there for Thanksgiving so it's not a stretch to imagine Sheldons mom might show up for Xmas at some point

Well, what I meant is that it suddenly occurred to me that it would be rather illogic that Sheldon doesn't celebrate Christmas and calls it Saturnalia. The Christmas tree goes back to Saturnalia, okay, but Christmas itself clearly is a festival based on the Christian religion and his mother is deeply religious. So I think it actually doesn't make sense that he states he wouldn't celebrate the festival. And I think he would rather go down to Texas, since his sister also seems to live there, so it would be easier instead of the whole family coming up to L.A.? I know this is nitpicking, but hey it's still 12 days until the next episode... :)

Well, I'm not saying he would take the ceremonies seriously and believe in anything, but we have seen before that he does what his mother tells him and thus, I find it strange that she wouldn't want to be with him and celebrate Christmas with him.

Yep, that's probably what happened xD I couldn't stand having him arround for Christmas either xD I think only Leonard can stand him o_o' Anyway, it would be funny if Chucky did Christmas episodes like Thanksgiven episodes in Friends xD They have their own traditions and stuff xD

Maybe she did at some point and couldn't stand having him around, analysing everything :p

LoL, good idea! Imagine, Sheldon actually not believing in anything, but nothing every historic detail by heart, correcting his mother in every custom, maybe even posing the question what's it all about ... not to mention his aversion towards gift-giving. Ha!

I still think, his mom would love to have him around on Christmas though...

Hi there! Actually, I don't remember Sheldon saying he doesn't celebrate Christmas. When Penny asked him if they had a Christmas tree, he said no because they don't celebrate Saturnalia, but mention nothing about Christmas! :p As for spending this period of time with his family, I'm sure they would like that, but I don't know if Sheldon would agree to leave his little routine for this special day! :p Maybe giving them a call, though. Or having webcams installed in both houses! lol

Actually, I don't remember Sheldon saying he doesn't celebrate Christmas. When Penny asked him if they had a Christmas tree, he said no because they don't celebrate Saturnalia, but mention nothing about Christmas! :p

Yes, he didn't say that he doesn't celebrate Christmas but only because he don't acknowledge Christmas at all.

He said he doesn't celebrate Saturnalia aka Christmas in mind of Sheldon.

He explained how Chistmas comes from Saturnalia, therefore for him Chistmas doesn't exist and Saturnalia is not for him(pointless, waste of time).

having webcams installed in both houses! lol

that would be interesting but i think his mother wouldn't like it.

She would go for it though it's better to have webcam Sheldon then have no Sheldon at all.

Actually, I don't remember Sheldon saying he doesn't celebrate Christmas. When Penny asked him if they had a Christmas tree, he said no because they don't celebrate Saturnalia, but mention nothing about Christmas! :p

Yes, he didn't say that he doesn't celebrate Christmas but only because he don't acknowledge Christmas at all.

He said he doesn't celebrate Saturnalia aka Christmas in mind of Sheldon.

He explained how Chistmas comes from Saturnalia, therefore for him Chistmas doesn't exist and Saturnalia is not for him(pointless, waste of time).

Exellent point, Irvine, now that I think about it, Penny asked whether Sheldon and Leonard would put up a Christmas tree and Sheldon explained that they won't because they don't celebrate Saturnalia, which IS the origin of the Christmas tree. He doesn't actually refer to Christmas at all. I disagree with you, zedlord, Sheldon wouldn't say Saturnalia if he meant Christmas, he will know just too well that one is referring to the tree and the other to the Christian festival.

So Irvine's point actually leaves us assuming he could still have gone home to be with his family :icon_confused: I still believe that his mother would make sure he comes to Texas, we've seen Sheldon doing what she wants.